Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miami had a post scorer. It was LeBron. But still, OKC was right there - with 3 guys under 25.

Miami, Dallas
Miami, Dallas
Miami, Dallas
Closest they came to posting up was just receiving the ball back to the basket 18 feet away, but still would reverse pivot and face up. A Shaq like lumbering, crab dribble backdown, jump hook type post player, haven't been one of those in like forever.

You don't get it/

The point is to win NBA chips 98% of teams have a guy they can throw it too in the mid to low post who can reliably get buckets, Chris Bosh, Lebron James, and Dirk Nowitski all qualify. It's irrelevant how you do it, it's not about how you get the points, more about having guys in that area of the court who get points reliably, it diversifies your offense and makes it much more difficult to stop you in the half court, which playoff basketball is mostly played in.

FYI Dirk Nowitski made 55% of his post up shots? Did you stop watching Dirk in 2007 or something, he's a post up guy now.

Last edited:
A6Q2M82CYAE8JU1.jpg

:lol:

Billups, Rip, Ben Wallace.
I'm not saying you have to have a big 3 like Miami/Boston/LA, but that Pistons squad had 3 all-stars in their prime.

RASHEED.

Peopl totally forget why rasheed was so integral to that championship run, he could get buckets reliably in the low post.

No Sheed, no ring.

Miami had a post scorer. It was LeBron. But still, OKC was right there - with 3 guys under 25.

Well, damn. LeBron doesn't count man. Not because it's not true, but because it's just not fair.

Not your traditional post-scorer, but still you're right.

If the Thunder do not give Kendrick Perkins 36 million for 4 years would they have been in the same situation now?

H
Welp, somebody call Maliah and tell her James is coming to town.

:lol:

This reminds me so much of when Joe Johnson left PHX. Dude wanted to be the man and he still hasnt lived up to his potential. I think OKC made the best decision they could make under the circumstances.

As a Laker fan great deal :pimp:

Last edited:
You don't get it/
The point is to win NBA chips 98% of teams have a guy they can throw it too in the mid to low post who can reliably get buckets, Chris Bosh, Lebron James, and Dirk Nowitski all qualify. It's irrelevant how you do it, it's not about how you get the points, more about having guys in that area of the court who get points reliably, it diversifies your offense and makes it much more difficult to stop you in the half court, which playoff basketball is mostly played in.
FYI Dirk Nowitski made 55% of his post up shots? Did you stop watching Dirk in 2007 or something, he's a post up guy now.

Dirk is pretty unique in that he was equally efficient that year on the perimeter and in the post.

Did the Bad Boy Pistons have a low-post scorer?

Mark Cuban has said there are two kinds of owners in the NBA: Those that want to win and those that want to make money. Know where OKC falls
— Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) October 28, 2012

December 9, 2011...
Dallas Mavericks fans watched free-agent center Tyson Chandler walk out the door Thursday. Forward Caron Butler followed and guards J.J. Barea and DeShawn Stevenson are likely next.

Fans fretted on the sports radio airwaves Thursday that normally free-spending owner Mark Cuban is frittering away a chance for a repeat championship by offering key pieces to last season's title run a take-it-or-leave-it, one-year contract offer. Cuban, however, said he is reacting to the new rules of the collective bargaining agreement that was ratified Thursday by the league's owners and players.

"This was the plan the minute we agreed to the new CBA," Cuban said. "This is 100 percent about the CBA and understanding the impact it will have on the market."

Appearing Friday on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's Ben and Skin Show, Cuban added: "I voted against it. But we are where we are, right?"

Cuban, offering his first take on the franchise's strategy now that the lockout is over, said he is attempting to create maximum financial flexibility under a far more rigid economic system that promises harsh penalties for luxury tax offenders and hits repeat tax payers with an additional, severe tax.

The Mavs have been luxury tax payers since its existence, and often have spent well above the threshold.

But more than just the harsher financial penalties, the new rules make it dramatically more difficult for tax-paying teams to improve their rosters through detriments such as a reduced mid-level exception and restrictive trade guidelines. Teams that remain under the salary cap will have the greatest flexibility to improve their rosters through free agency and trades.

In the past, Cuban would agree to take on additional payroll, as he did to acquire Jason Kidd in 2008. That strategy, Cuban said, will now only work to handcuff a franchise by reducing its options to make moves.

"If this were the old CBA rules, we probably would have kept everyone together. But, the rules changed," he said. "If we were able to sign everyone to two-year deals that would have possibly changed things as well, but that wasn't in the cards either."

Source

I get what you're saying, but it's not impossible.
Mavericks 2011. Heat 2012 is debatable, was Bosh that much of a inside scorer? The Jordan years. The Bad Boy Pistons.
It's possible, but it's so much easier with guys like Shaq, TD, and Hakeem.

Did I say impossible, incredibly difficult. there's been a lot of basketball like 60 years worth, you named 2 teams.

Heat are not debatable, Bosh and LeBron were reliable post scorers.

Did I say impossible, incredibly difficult. there's been a lot of basketball like 60 years worth, you named 2 teams.
Heat are not debatable, Bosh and LeBron were reliable post scorers.

Those two teams account for 8 of the past 20 or so championships.

I still stand behind the Mavericks. Dirk is a perimeter scorer before a post-scorer, even in this stage of his career. Capable of posting up, and proficient at it, yes.

It's a different game, there just aren't as many post-scorers as there were in years past.

Oh yeah, the Rockets have enough cap space to offer a max contract to someone else next summer after inking Harden to one.

Last edited:
I'm a big big Harden fan, but it was probably for the best for both sides. Now Harden can try to show he can carry a team, while Thunder get some more flexibility with Martin's expiring.

Besides, I don't think the Thunder would have been grabbing the chip with the current team anyway, against the Lakers and Heat; as good as Harden is offensively, being on the court in crunch time along with Russ in the playoffs he was consistently gettin cooked by bigger wing players on the block. Not saying Martin's gonna change that, but I'm thinking all this was in Presti's mind when he made the move.

38% of Harden's shots were in the restricted area last year. Martin? 14%

Don't think about it too much man.. :lol:

A lot of people are talking about Kevin Martin as a replacement for James Harden. Does anyone really expect him to be there after this year?

Harden_James_okc_120507.jpg

James Harden turned down a four-year, $52 million contract extension offer from the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Harden is seeking a maximum-level deal worth $60 million over four years.

The Thunder have until Wednesday to sign Harden to a contract extension or allow him the opportunity to become a restricted free agent on July 1.
Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta..._Four_Year_$52M_Extension_Offer#ixzz2AWyiTzep

welp.
It's crazy cuz I was watching that show on NBAtv (forgot name) and Barkley was talking about he didn't feel his team on PHX was ever going to win a championship after they lost the first time making it to the finals cuz other players started focusiing and talking about playing time, contracts, etc.

Did not expect the trade though.

Last edited:
Those two teams account for 8 of the past 20 or so championships.
I still stand behind the Mavericks. Dirk is a perimeter scorer before a post-scorer, even in this stage of his career. Capable of posting up, and proficient at it, yes.
It's a different game, there just aren't as many post-scorers as there were in years past.

It's about an area on the court not a style of scoring. You don't have to be a jump hooking lumbering oaf to be a post up scorer.

30% of dirks offense comes in post up scenarios more than any other situation by far, he is one of the best in the league at it, he is a post up scorer. Just because it ends in a fade away doesn't make it any less effective or any less of a post up. Permiter scorers are 3 pt line and out, how often does dirk start with he ball at the three point line?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom