Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually like Tirico's call of LeBron's dunk.

"Chalmers....Cole.....JAMES!!"

Simple, yet effective. *shrugs*

Of the two, I think DeAndre's dunk was better.

Since this meme is just taking numbers, and not averages, into consideration, it should be noted that Kobe has played 152 career playoff games to LeBron's 115 by the age of 28.

Averages compiled by me using LeBron's real stats and Kobe's stats in that meme.

Kobe
Assists: 3.5
Rebounds: 3.8
Steals: 1.0
Blocks: 0.5

LeBron
Assists: 6.7
Rebounds: 8.7
Steals: 1.7
Blocks: 0.9

actually, both sets of numbers are wrong. kobe's numbers are a bit higher than that. up to the 2006-2007 season age 28.

Assists: 4.5
Rebounds: 4.9
Steals: 1.3
Blocks: .7

131 games

If you want to see the numbers where he actually started (he came off the bench his first 2 years) his averages are:

Assists: 5.0
Rebounds: 5.5
Steals: 1.5
Blocks: .8

111 games

stats taken from: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01.html

Last edited:
Shaq and Kobe?

People who assume that, I just assume are 16 year olds who never even saw the early 2000 Lakers and confidently think Kobe>MJ and isn't even close.

I could rant more on people like that, but I think I've actually gotten a warning for it 
laugh.gif
Kobe averaged 22, 28, and 25 in the regular season during the Laker 3 peat, and 21, 29, and 26 during those playoff runs. The next year he averaged 30 in the regular season and 32 in the playoffs. Those aren't at least 1B numbers? 

Last edited:
Report: Wizards to offer Wall max extension

1691.jpg

The Wizards are expected to offer John Wall a maximum contract extension, sources told CSN Washington.

There is a debate as to whether or not Wall is worth the max, but the Wizards will do anything necessary to retain their franchise point guard as the team looks to escape the cellar. Wall previously said that he feels he's a max player, and he didn't back away from it when given the chance. "If they believe I'm their franchise guy, that I'm the max player that I feel that I am, they'll do what's best for them," he said. Wall will be a restricted free agent in the offseason.

Shaq and Kobe?

People who assume that, I just assume are 16 year olds who never even saw the early 2000 Lakers and confidently think Kobe>MJ and isn't even close.

I could rant more on people like that, but I think I've actually gotten a warning for it 
laugh.gif

Kobe averaged 22, 28, and 25 in the regular season during the Laker 3 peat, and 21, 29, and 26 during those playoff runs. The next year he averaged 30 in the regular season and 32 in the playoffs. Those aren't at least 1B numbers? 

Not when the number one is best player on the planet.by far.

1691.jpg

The Wizards are expected to offer John Wall a maximum contract extension, sources told CSN Washington.

There is a debate as to whether or not Wall is worth the max, but the Wizards will do anything necessary to retain their franchise point guard as the team looks to escape the cellar. Wall previously said that he feels he's a max player, and he didn't back away from it when given the chance. "If they believe I'm their franchise guy, that I'm the max player that I feel that I am, they'll do what's best for them," he said. Wall will be a restricted free agent in the offseason.

1306286_o.gif

:smokin :smokin

Last edited:
I know this will never happen, but the best thing is to compare great players and their accolades at the end of their careers. Look at what happened with A-Rod. 3 years ago he was on pace to break the homerun record easily, but now it's looking like he isn't going to get close. Anything can happen in sports.

Last edited:
Some of you guys are proving that the NT NBA thread is the bottom of the barrel in terms of sports discussion.

I'm sure there are plenty of players who wound up being scrubs... but had better stats at age 23 than Lebron at 23, or better stats at age 24 than Kobe at 24.

Like you can post a picture showing how Raymond Felton or someone had more assists through 130 games than Lebron or what have you... but IDGAF Lebron's still the better passer...

Ppl still arguing Bron vs Kobe?? Who gives a ****. Lebrons better but I like Kobe more. Why is that so hard for Kobe/Laker fans to admit

Some of you guys are proving that the NT NBA thread is the bottom of the barrel in terms of sports discussion.

I'm sure there are plenty of players who wound up being scrubs... but had better stats at age 23 than Lebron at 23, or better stats at age 24 than Kobe at 24.
Tyreke 
tired.gif
laugh.gif
mean.gif

His rookie year, he was in the same class as Lebron, Jordan, Robertson 
sick.gif

not eem Kobe can sad that 
laugh.gif

:lol:

sixers probably told him to get the surgery
theres insurance money in every city

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-million-tab-andrew-bynum-174519554--nba.html

So does that mean we have an extra 17 mil to spend in FA this off season :nerd:
Nope. It just means the money doesn't come out of Josh Harris' pockets. But he still counts against the cap.

Contrast that with the Knicks, where Amare's contract is uninsured. So whenever he goes down, that money is coming out of Dolan's pocket. Which is one of the reasons why they can't move Amare and why NYK held Amare out of the World Championships in Turkey years ago.

Last edited:
Currently LeBron is better than Kobe as an individual player and I'm a Lakers/Kobe fan but when it's all said and done, Kobe's career > LBJ's career

I'm just curious to see if LBJ will have Kobe's work ethic, preparedness, and mental toughness to adjust when his body inevitably starts to break down...

Nope. It just means the money doesn't come out of Josh Harris' pockets. But he still counts against the cap.

Contrast that with the Knicks, where Amare's contract is uninsured. So whenever he goes down, that money is coming out of Dolan's pocket. Which is one of the reasons why they can't move Amare and why NYK held Amare out of the World Championships in Turkey years ago.

....****
We coulda bought a whole new team with that extra 17 mil lol

1691.jpg

1306286_o.gif

:smokin :smokin

In actual current NBA news...
The hoopla surrounding the Miami Heat and their now 23 game winning streak isn't going to slow down anytime soon.  Miami had another dramatic, come from behind victory in the streak last night in Boston.  In spite of Jeff Green's 43 points, the Heat beat the Celtics 105-103.  Although it's easy to forget about the NBA in the midst of March Madness, the game drew a healthy rating for ESPN - a 3.1 overnight, which is tied for the third highest in ESPN's NBA history.

The 3.1 overnight falls just behind a Lakers-Rockets game from 2003, which was the first meeting between Yao and Shaq and drew a 3.8 rating.  And a 2011 Knicks-Heat game, which drew a 3.2.  The 3.1 rating also tied a Pacers-Pistons matchup from 2004.
The NBA has fined Milwaukee Bucks forward Larry Sanders $50,000 for using offensive language and criticizing officials.

Sanders was displeased after getting whistled for a foul on Miami's LeBron James with 2:44 left in the fourth quarter of Milwaukee's 107-94 loss to the Heat on Friday night. He received two technicals and was ejected after directing a derogatory term at the referees.

After the game, Sanders blamed his ejection on frustration and seemed to infer that the Heat get preferential treatment from the officials.

"I can imagine it's hard for a referee to ref a Miami Heat game," he said.
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban doesn't see why Dirk Nowitzki can't be an elite player for "at least" three more seasons.

Since his 11-year streak of All-Star appearances was snapped, Nowitzki has averaged 18.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game, shooting 49.5 percent from the floor and 50 percent from 3-point range.

"What we're seeing now with Dirk is what we can expect to see next year and the year after, if he stays healthy," Cuban said. "And the year after that."

Three more years of All-Star caliber play from a power forward who turns 35 this summer?

"At least," Cuban said.

Nowitzki wasn't so quick to predict the same.

"I'm not sure about all that," said Nowitzki, a 15-year veteran who is averaging the fewest points overall (16.4) since his rookie year after missing the first 27 games of the season following arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. "We'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully I can finish this season strong and have a good summer like I basically did last year with a lot of lifting and running and hopefully not have a setback with a surgery. We'll see how consistent I can be again next season."

It's only been a couple of months since Nowitzki was wondering whether he wanted to keep playing after his contract expires next summer. He recently declared that he'd stick around through at least the 2015-16 season, but Nowitzki openly discussed making a transition from go-to guy to a role player in the years to come.

But Cuban can't see Nowitzki as a role player, not even if the Mavs succeed in their year-old mission to acquire a legitimate star to pair with him, if not remove the burden of the franchise from his shoulders.

"Is Kevin Garnett a role player? Is Tim Duncan a role player?" Cuban asked rhetorically. "Do you think Tim Duncan is going to be a role player next year? You think Kevin Garnett is going to be a role player next year? And those guys are based more on athleticism than Dirk is, you know?"

Cuban's point: If Nowitzki's peers as legendary power forwards of this generation can be All-Stars at 36, why can't Nowitzki?

Duncan and Garnett both returned to the All-Star Game this season, a season after their decade-plus-long streak of appearances was snapped at least in part due to knee problems that tend to pop up in a heavy-minutes NBA career.

Garnett's production has dipped in recent years, but he's still a force for a perennial playoff team. Duncan's numbers are down, too, but that's primarily because his playing time has decreased. On a per-minute basis, there's not much difference between Duncan's production now and in his prime, and the Spurs are still contenders.

Advances in sports medicine, nutrition and strength and conditioning increase the players' odds of enjoying success as NBA old-timers.

"Just because of the technology, guys can stay healthy longer," Cuban said. "The science of dieting and health is just completely different than when we let Steve Nash walk nine years ago. I think it's just a different animal."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom