Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only two guys believe that in here. :rolleyes

Quick question. Were you for spoelstra being fired after the Heat's 9-8 start in 2010-2011? Just curious.

Spo was given NINE new players.

Mike failed last year, was given help and still wasn't even using one of the players they signed for a reason. What, exactly, are you not getting?

Jodie Meeks, shooting guard, brought in to lower Kobe's minutes, DNP after DNP, when Kobe is already ailing with a foot injury.

Spo, did not have those sort of strikes against him. He was literally learning the whole team in and out. Not the case for Mike Brown. Will you please try to comprehend all this. You and the other guy are literally the only 2 I have seen that disagree with this move. Ask yourself why that is.

Lakers' Devin Ebanks arrested on suspicion of DUI
By Mike Bresnahan and Andrew Blankstein
November 9, 2012, 10:35 a.m.
Lakers forward Deven Ebanks was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor DUI in Los Angeles early Friday morning, according to law enforcement sources and booking records.

Ebanks, 23, was pulled over at 2:49 a.m. in the Hollywood area by California Highway Patrol officers and booked at 3:44 a.m.

Ebanks was released later Friday morning after posting $5,000 bail. A post on his Twitter account Thursday afternoon encouraged his followers to celebrate a woman’s birthday Thursday night at Roxbury night club near Hollywood.

Ebanks’ next scheduled court date is Dec. 7, according to booking records.

The Lakers, who play Golden State tonight at Staples Center, are aware of the arrest.

It was Ebanks’ second incident with law enforcement in a little more than a year. Prosecutors declined to file charges against him last December after a woman alleged Ebanks sexually assaulted her three months earlier.

Ebanks re-signed with the Lakers last August for one year for $1.4 million after averaging four points in 24 games of his second NBA season. He is averaging 2.5 points this season as one of the Lakers’ first players off the bench.

Ebanks originally joined the Lakers after being selected out of West Virginia in the second round of the 2010 draft.

THE MIKE BROWN QUESTION: WHY NOW?

The Lakers’ front office does not do knee-jerk, so news Friday that Mike Brown has been fired as coach after a 1-4 start is a strong signal that management has been considering the drastic move for at least a few days, knowing that a replacement would have to be lined up. This isn’t the usual situation of a bad team that can promote an interim guy to get through the season. The Lakers still want to — need to — win this year.

This also has to mean Brown began the season wounded and that the Buss family – owner Jerry and his son, Jim, the head of basketball operations – has had doubts about Brown at least since the second-round loss to the Thunder in May.

Five games — with Dwight Howard still not at 100 percent after a serious back injury, with Steve Nash sidelined by a leg injury, with Kobe Bryant playing on a very sore foot, with the entire organization knowing this was going to take time — is not enough time to judge what Brown could have done with this title contender at full strength. The most heated Brown detractor in the panicking fan base — and there is about a million-way tie for the lead — could not disagree. The offense has labored badly, but Nash’s absence obviously slowed the development. The defense has regressed, but Howard had a limited preseason and is still recovering.

If the Lakers were going to fire Brown now, they might as well have done it in the summer and avoided the in-season mess and transition. Nothing was going wrong (except for Nash going down) that the front office didn’t know could go wrong.

There is no way Jim Buss meant it when he gave Brown the dreaded vote of confidence after 1-4, telling ESPNLosAngeles.com that, “I have no problems with Mike Brown at all. He just works too hard and he’s too knowledgeable for this to be happening.” The Buss backing was either a historic level of non-truthing or there was a startling change of direction that would likely come only with the red phone ringing and Jerry Buss (who leaves day-to-day basketball ops to Jim and general manager Mitch Kupchak) on the other end. Indeed, TNT’s David Aldridge has reported that Brown’s people believe the decision came directly from Jerry Buss.

The timing is curious and filled with twists. One of the strangest is that Brown may ultimately have done himself in with the lone win.

Sunday night, the lid of Staples Center is about to be pushed off by the angst of an 0-3 start. The Lakers are up on the Pistons by 36 points. The lead is cut to 24 and Brown rushes Bryant, Howard and Steve Blake, Nash’s replacement as the starting point guard, back in with 8:55 left in the fourth quarter. Bryant had already been playing big minutes — and remember, only three players in the league put in more time than he did last season. His foot was an obvious problem. But in he went. It was 0-3 talking.

The rest of the Lakers were thinking about June, but Brown’s moves were being dictated by the first three games of the season. With a 24-point lead, with 8:55 remaining, against lottery-bound Detroit. That could not have sat well with management.

It’s as if the Buss family was willing to give Brown one last chance to see if the 108-79 win over the Pistons would spark a turnaround. But when that one last chance ended in a 95-86 loss to the Jazz on Wednesday, Brown was done. The announcement came Friday, even though it could have come in May.
Link

But yeah, it was just the five games. :lol:

Oh, hey, that Pistons win was costly huh? Gee, who woulda said something like that around here?

*looks inside Laker thread*

Sunday night, the lid of Staples Center is about to be pushed off by the angst of an 0-3 start. The Lakers are up on the Pistons by 36 points. The lead is cut to 24 and Brown rushes Bryant, Howard and Steve Blake, Nash’s replacement as the starting point guard, back in with 8:55 left in the fourth quarter. Bryant had already been playing big minutes — and remember, only three players in the league put in more time than he did last season. His foot was an obvious problem. But in he went. It was 0-3 talking.

The rest of the Lakers were thinking about June, but Brown’s moves were being dictated by the first three games of the season. With a 24-point lead, with 8:55 remaining, against lottery-bound Detroit. That could not have sat well with management.

Oh

Spo was given NINE new players.
Mike failed last year, was given help and still wasn't even using one of the players they signed for a reason. What, exactly, are you not getting?
Jodie Meeks, shooting guard, brought in to lower Kobe's minutes, DNP after DNP, when Kobe is already ailing with a foot injury.
Spo, did not have those sort of strikes against him. He was literally learning the whole team in and out. Not the case for Mike Brown. Will you please try to comprehend all this. You and the other guy are literally the only 2 I have seen that disagree with this move. Ask yourself why that is.

Whatever, IDC man I swear :lol:

I'm quoting all of you at the end of the year though.

I wish the playoffs started today.

Btw, how many episodes of Open Court are out?

4?

Last edited:
I wish the playoffs started today.
Btw, how many episodes of Open Court are out?
4?

The Front Court, The Back Court, Bragging Rights, and The Future.

Those are the only ones I've seen, and I've been keeping an eye out for new ones.

The firing of Mike Brown wasn't simply because we are 1-4 at the moment.

It's the fact that the front office probably looked at the team and realized this team isn't winning it all under Coach Brown.

It's better to let go of him now rather than later.

I'm still surprised that it happened this early though.

16hks5j.jpg

Spo had the Heat defending while they were finding their identity on offense.
Not only that, but he had been with MIA since '95, the same as Riley. So, Riles wasn't gonna axe him after just 17 games.

Last edited:
What do yall think the chances Rose plays on Feb 26 are? I know he'd be shooting for around the all star break. I have a chance to buy a block of tickets for that game.

Who do they replace him with? Eddie Jordan?
Then they'd be firing their 2nd coach 10 games in.

Had enough of Sinbad here in DC. Dude makes Mike Brown look like Red Auerbach.
Catching up on the pages that I've missed...but I had to take time out to say that when I got to this part of JJs post, I laughed so hard snot came out of my nose.
mean.gif
Throw out a warning next time bro.

Last edited:
Harden and Lin (8tpg) vs. the team who led the league in forced turnovers and steals the past two seasons :lol:

What do yall think the chances Rose plays on Feb 26 are? I know he'd be shooting for around the all star break. I have a chance to buy a block of tickets for that game.
That would be 10 months after the injury. he should be back before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom