Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we talk about how smart Dwade is?
"Hey LeBron come down to Miami leave your hometown. Take all the negative heat. Be the villain."
I'll argue with my coach and have one game where everyone questions me.
And sit here while my legacy is elevated on your play while you play high minutes and make everyone better and takeover my team.
Bravo Wade. Bravo!
Okay, How big of an idiot is LeBron for doing so then?

Serious tip, it's amazing how not even in the NBA, but in every professional sports outlet, they can't achieve the professionalism plus "The Guys" dynamic that TNT does every week. They can transition from shooting on Lebron's hairline to analyzing why he's the best in the L without missing a beat.

They always leave me impressed.

Wheres the petition to get Shaq off of TV??

Dude is annoying

CoupeIt88- he had no real better option. I just find it amazing that's all. It seems like Wade is just fading away. I thought he was completely healthy but with him it always seems one injury becomes more for him.

Last edited:
Serious tip, it's amazing how not even in the NBA, but in every professional sports outlet, they can't achieve the professionalism plus "The Guys" dynamic that TNT does every week. They can transition from shooting on Lebron's hairline to analyzing why he's the best in the L without missing a beat.
They always leave me impressed.

That's the beauty of TNT. They found the perfect harmony of analysis and "living room talk" (so to speak). Then Shaq came and ruined everything. Bill Simmons is unfortunately still held back at ESPN. If they allowed Wilbon to be more like he is on PTI, it'd be so much better, because he and Bill would go at it. Magic is a bum, who won't say anything provocative. And Jalen is just an oddball trying to bring a little urban flavor to the show (and unsuccessfully, at that).

man the first person who should be fire is corny *** Reggie Miller. makes me want to watch the games on mute :smh:

Last edited:
That's the beauty of TNT. They found the perfect harmony of analysis and "living room talk" (so to speak). Then Shaq came and ruined everything. Bill Simmons is unfortunately still held back at ESPN. If they allowed Wilbon to be more like he is on PTI, it'd be so much better, because he and Bill would go at it. Magic is a bum, who won't say anything provocative. And Jalen is just an oddball trying to bring a little urban flavor to the show (and unsuccessfully, at that).

See I completely disagree with you and a lot of people outside of NT will too. Shaq isn't nearly as bad on Inside as NT makes him out to be. I still enjoy the show and save for the first few weeks when shaq was on there, they haven't missed a beat since he joined the cast. He adds a different element to the show and he doesn't bother me at all.

Now watching games with reginald miller doing the telecast? That's another story :x

If Grevis Vasquez isnt on the All Star Ballot, it will be a complete failure on the part of the NBA. That boy is playing his *** off

I never though Shaq was all that bad until he did the twinkie thing with his teeth. Dude be trying too hard sometimes, but he is a welcome analyst IMO.

Random note: Watching Faried play gets me AMPED up. That man's play is DEFINITELY appreciated.

In anticipation of tonight's Knicks-Grizzlies game:
Secret to success for Knicks, Griz

It's something a few people in the league have come to call "The Second Draft" approach: Finding players still in their early 20s, who had enough talent to be high draft picks but for whatever reason have fallen out of favor with their first teams.

The idea here is that a lot of the players who will produce excess value for a team, whether via free agency or trade, are players who (A) have talent, (B) are young enough to still get better and (C) can be acquired cheaply.

Not rocket science when you put it that way, but it's been an important cog in how a lot of smart teams have built and maintained their rosters in recent seasons.

And, as it turns out, it's a hugely ironic factor in Friday's showdown between the Grizzlies and Knicks. While calling it a Finals preview is perhaps a bit much given that they've played 13 games between them, there is no question that these two teams are playing better than their peers right now.

As for the irony -- I don't know if this is where the term originated, but the first "second draft" reference I heard came from Mark Warkentien, then with the Blazers and now ensconced in the Knicks' front office. The Knicks have had some success in this department, too, and we'll talk more about that below.

But Memphis? The Grizzlies' entire success this season has been based on a particularly bountiful "second draft" that has turned around a weak bench unit.

Memphis' four-man unit of Jerryd Bayless, Wayne Ellington, Quincy Pondexter and Marreese Speights entered the season lightly regarded, and with reason: Each of the four had underwhelmed in previous stops. But underscoring how well they've played, they're a scintillating plus-28 in 63 minutes as a quartet together, according to NBA.com.

The Grizzlies have needed it. In the past, their starting five has been the engine of their success, with the bench asked merely to not blow the game for them. This season the starting five has actually been outscored -- a pretty amazing feat for a team that, overall, has outscored opponents by 64 points in the first seven games.

Conclusion: The bench is carrying them.

That seemed unlikely entering the season, considering where these players had come from -- especially the two wings. Consider:

• Bayless, 24, was the 11th overall pick by Indiana in 2008 and went to Portland in a draft-day trade. Bouncing to New Orleans and Toronto while on his rookie contract, he became an unrestricted free agent and the Grizzlies looked to him to solve their backup point guard riddle. So far he's done much more than that: he leads the team in PER. With an opt-out clause in his deal for after this season, Bayless is looking at a big payday if he keeps this up.

• Ellington, 24, was the 28th pick by Minnesota in 2009. He played three nondescript seasons in Minnesota without ever achieving a double-digit PER, and seemed headed for the league's reject bin. Memphis needed a backup shooting guard and traded Dante Cunningham to Minnesota for him, and he's been reborn in Memphis -- shooting 51.2 percent, including 45.8 percent on 3s, and averaging nearly a point every two minutes. (Don't weep for Minnesota, though -- Cunningham has been huge for the Wolves. Who knew this trade would actually matter to the Western Conference race?)

• Pondexter, 24, was the 26th pick in 2010. After stumbling through his rookie season in New Orleans, the Grizzlies acquired him a year ago when they needed wing depth. He wasn't particularly good in 2011-12, but has taken another step forward this season by improving his shooting stroke from the corners. Always a solid defender, his added shooting prowess gives him enough of a half-court offensive role that he can have an impact with his defense and energy.

• Speights, 25, was the 16th pick in 2008 and also came to Memphis a year ago via trade before re-signing with the Grizzlies over the summer. He's been the entire frontcourt "depth" in the first seven games while Darrell Arthur recuperates from an injury, and has provided a solid presence at both positions. His shooting has been a bit off in the early going -- 40.4 percent -- which matters because he shoots nearly every time he gets the ball. However, he's been very solid on the glass and has made progress as a back-line defender.

Obviously there are short-term questions about whether this quartet can keep up their hot start, not to mention longer-term ones about whether the Grizzlies could keep this second unit together if they kept it up (all but Pondexter can become free agents, and Memphis is not exactly flush with cap wiggle room at the moment). But if you're looking for a reason for Memphis' impressive start, its "second draft" of those four players has been a huge factor.

As for the Knicks, you might call what they're doing more of a "seventh draft" -- Jason Kidd, Marcus Camby, Kurt Thomas and Rasheed Wallace all are half a decade older than anybody on the Grizzlies.

But Warkentien hasn't come up empty on the "second draft" mantra from New York, even if the money was invested in slightly older players. Both J.R. Smith and Raymond Felton fit that mantra, and both have played very well in the early part of the season.

In Smith's case, Warkentien may be the first exec in history to "second draft" the same player twice. He'd also picked up Smith on the cheap in Denver (for Howard Eisley and two second-round picks, which were used on Aaron Gray and the immortal JamesOn Curry), and after Smith left Denver and spent half a year in China, he again landed on Warkentien's doorstep in New York.

Partly, of course, this is because J.R. has done some crazy things that diminish his market value. But the twist on that is that it makes him an inexpensive source of scoring, and given the Knicks' other cap limitations that's important.

He's been a huge part of their unbeaten start. Smith is averaging 34 minutes a game off the bench, which I believe would be a record, and leads the team in PER. Not only has he gone absolutely bananas on 3-pointers (14-of-19 thus far), but unbelievably he has 18 assists against just five turnovers. At age 27, the tantalizing possibility exists that he finally gets it.

As for Felton, 28, his rehabilitation keyed on two factors: 1) that he's in much better shape, and 2) that he played much better in the second half of last season after a miserable start. His play at the point has deflected criticism of the franchise's decision to let Jeremy Lin walk, and his 19.2 points per 40 minutes blows away his previous career high. He's also shooting 40.7 percent on 3s -- not a strength of his, historically -- and has sharply cut down on the turnovers that plagued him in Portland.

Again, we remind everyone that this is a very small sample of games for both teams. Several of the players mentioned above are blowing away their previous career norms, especially in the 3-point shooting category that is the one most prone to short-term flukes. For instance, I can guarantee Smith won't shoot 73.7 percent on 3s all season, nor will Bayless shoot in the 50s or Pondexter and Felton in the 40s. Both New York and Memphis have been flukishly successful on 3s as a team, which is one reason they're a combined 12-1.

Instead, zoom out for the bigger picture. In both New York and Memphis, they used a "second draft" mentality to give themselves a chance at success. New York's guys were 27 and Memphis' were 24, but the idea was the same -- finding inexpensive assets that had a chance, given their age, situations and perceived talent level, to exceed their previous norms. Melo and Z-Bo will get the headlines, but it's those secondary roster moves that have kick-started their franchises thus far.

that was hilarious how when Amare came up the tone changed and then "WELP..." :lol:

Spike Lee> Brooklyn Knight :smokin

Last edited:
If Grevis Vasquez isnt on the All Star Ballot, it will be a complete failure on the part of the NBA. That boy is playing his *** off
He's had one really good game. 30% shooting and three turnovers per in the other five. Horrendous defensively always because he has no foot speed at the worst possible position for it.

Speaking of, the Hornets' scheduling has been ridiculous so far. Six games in 16 days, while most teams have played 8-10. I don't like that.

Last edited:
Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
The Mayans want you to know that Donald Sterling, James Dolan and Robert Pera own the 3 best NBA teams right now.

lol

tumblr_mb7v1dhli81rhrmrio2_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom