OFFICIAL NBA 2018 NBA Draft & Rookie Thread: NT SL Represent!

Who won Draft night?

• PHX - Deandre & Mikal

• LAL - Wagner & Not Drafting Galo Ball

• PHI - Z. Smith, Shamet & Unprotected MIA 2021

• BOS - Rob Williams

• DAL - Luka & Little Greek

• DEN - MPJ at 16

• SAS - Lonnie Walker

• Adrian Wojnarowski's Vocabulary

• NYK - Knox & Mitchell Robinson

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ayton is not a good defender sadly, even with his bobble potential I can't deny that he's got a lot of work to do as a rim protector and post defender

Still take him #1 and then it's a dead heat between porter and donic

Can't see how a big who isn't a good rim protector is a #1 pick in this day and age.

Can't see how a big who isn't a good rim protector is a #1 pick in this day and age.
His offensive skill set isn't even close to developed and it already looks exceptional

The difference between he and say KAT defensively is that ayton might not be apathetic like kat is. Hopefully pro coaching helps

His offense may be worth the risk to gm's, it is to me. Other than donic or porter there isn't a better option

Porter is hurt and the extent has been weirdly a mystery

Donic is everyone's favorite but his burst is well documented

It's not really unreasonable at all for ayton to go #1

We'll see. Porter vs ayton vs donic mean they all have their deficiencies or question marks

I don't feel at all like it's unreasonable to take ayton first

Bamba or bagley i just can't justify taking before

He may also just not understand defensive concepts. He explained why he wasn't good at blocking shots by saying that "he just needs to swipe at everything like Mo Bamba". Maybe working with NBA coaches helps, but that scares me a little. I'm sure NBA guys will do extensive interviews and all of that with him.

He may also just not understand defensive concepts. He explained why he wasn't good at blocking shots by saying that "he just needs to swipe at everything like Mo Bamba". Maybe working with NBA coaches helps, but that scares me a little. I'm sure NBA guys will do extensive interviews and all of that with him.
Who you taking first

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm with the Luka Hive. Need to see Porter too. All of the bigs have high ceilings, but major red flags too.

Porter gonna have crazy workouts hopefully so that he doesn't slip too far

Other than that I hope his injury isn't serious

I wouldn't have any issue taking porter or donic #1 I just think it's fair to point out they both got question marks too far as goin #1

It's a definitely another year where there isn't a clear top guy.

Think Luka proving he can be a successful volume scorer against grown men at 18 though is the most impressive thing I've seen.

I see the article that you were referring to regarding Aytons defense. Fair points all around, the author also references specific instances of exceptional defense and his theory of why we're not seeing consistency

When folks say ayton needs to develop a feel for the game, I'm hoping they're referring to his defense. His skill on offense is already trending nicely, really he just lacks the ability to dribble

If he's going to play the 5 he will certainly need to improve his defense and if he will play the 4 he will need to improve his ball handling

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...743900/deandre-ayton-arizona-blocks-nba-draft

Nobody is going to be drafting Ayton with the intent of him playing the 4. Dude is 7'1" 260. Zero chance he'd be able to guard any 4s either. He'll need to learn to protect the rim.

We didn't get any elite bobbles but at least he showed he can handle double teams by smaller defenders. His lack of feel for the game might be a little overstated. His footwork in traffic is exceptional and his midrange is smooth

He took what the defense was giving him all night which was constant doubles. Didn't force anything. His defense out on the perimeter was solid in terms of moving his feet, paint defense was acceptable

We didn't get any elite bobbles but at least he showed he can handle double teams by smaller defenders. His lack of feel for the game might be a little overstated. His footwork in traffic is exceptional and his midrange is smooth

He took what the defense was giving him all night which was constant doubles. Didn't force anything. His defense out on the perimeter was solid in terms of moving his feet, paint defense was acceptable

Really swiping down on those blocks, that'll get you a lot of fouls in the NBA.

Also I noticed he didn't box out that hard, but it's not necessary for him at that level.

That's nitpicking though, guy looks very promising.

Really swiping down on those blocks, that'll get you a lot of fouls in the NBA.

Also I noticed he didn't box out that hard, but it's not necessary for him at that level.

That's nitpicking though, guy looks very promising.
He's shown the intelligence to block a shot (the few limited blocks he has had) and keep it in play to save possession. I also like how he quickly advances the ball and locates his guards off the rebound

His box outs/blocks and general effort on defense are obvious categories for improvement. His offensive skill set is too nice for me to pass on worrying about if his defense will pan out on the next level

He should man. All the skill moves.

The subtle *** makes a difference for the undersized pgs. Peeped some of his work with Juwan Evans too.

This is FANTASTIC stuff. The part especially about being hip to hip the screener so that you're already in launch position coming off is so minute, but so essential. It's really glossed over, and I don't know who bro is but off that level of detail alone about to binge on bro.

Breh

Young just had himself one of them career highlight type games

Have no clue who northwestern state is but still, dude hit someone with a mini shamgod

Was threading needles every pass and finishing at the rim. Just toying with people at times

Seemed like 50/50 between who to take first with him and sexton. It's only getting more difficult

They're both smooth yet completely different

I don't think the Lakers will be bad enough for the Celtics to get their pick. The Lakers are looking more likely to finish in the 7-10 range, resulting in the 2018 pick going to the Sixers and the Celtics having to settle for the 2019 Kings pick.
Disregard.

Back
Top Bottom