Official NBA 2k15 Thread

@Leftos posted this

Let me take a stab at clearing up the confusion although Rashidi pretty much has it down.

Each Position has a set of Archetypes (or Player Types, if you will). All-Around, Athletic, Defensive, etc. A player has an overall per player type per position. So a player has (NumberOfPositions * NumberOfPlayerTypesPerPosition) overall ratings. Each Positional Player Type has its own overall formula (so PG All Around has a different formula than PF All Around has a different formula than C Defensive).

Whenever his overall rating gets updated, we calculate all the overall ratings for his position by player type. The player type that gives him his the highest overall is the one we determine "most compatible", so we assign it to him along with that Overall.

So yes, a player that might be C All-Around but as years go by sees his offensive attributes regress but you've made sure to keep him up to par defensively using (cheap plug but I'm a dev) our new in-season Training system, might see his player type change to C Defensive, and his value to the team will still be there.

As for team-building AI, we've taken some steps to make sure teams take into account specific needs as far as more specific skills go. So if that player losing his offensive ability means that the team lost their main source of points, they'll value players that can bring the team's scoring up more than players that might be contributing to needs sufficiently covered (such as defense, in this example). (Let me clarify that the examples of "offense" and "defense" are shallow and the "skills" teams look at go beyond that; there's 13 different categories actually.)

That said, Team Style is still a factor, so teams won't all "average out" by trying to cover skill needs, if a coach prefers to play a certain way. So if a team prefers outside scorers over inside scorers, it won't value inside scorers as much, even if it has more of a need for them than another team.

Also, we pay much more attention at position stacking which has been a problem for years in the franchise. Teams are much more aware of trying to build each position with a player of starter quality, a decent bench player and a 3rd string backup (less important but good to have). Not every team is going to be perfect, and if they were, they wouldn't be able to replicate my frustration with Detroit's roster all these past years. :tongue: More than 3 players in a position starts making teams reconsider unless their skills and secondary position mean that they're of significant value to the team. No more "Oh, another 80+ point guard available? Never mind that we have 5 of them already, let's get one more since we can fit him under the salary cap!" I cringed so bad when someone showed me a screenshot of that and I made a point of starting to fix that logic that very same day.

You can see how a system like this gets really complicated. I'm very happy with our new overall formulas and logic this year, and along with the improvements to team-building (which isn't going to be perfect but we've taken strides in the right direction, trust me) gives us nice results and a nice base to continue working off of based on this year's feedback.

A lot of things have been changed this year, so I'm really looking forward to fresh feedback once you get your hands on the game.

will A.I. be a free agent? or not in at all? :frown: Since the game was originally his, I feel like the '01 version should be a staple player forever, just as like a sign of respect.

1409851641-media.jpg

GameInformer has posted an article listing "29 Reasons Why MyGM May Be the Future of Franchise Modes," going over the new conversation system, GM tools, scouting, player progression, offseason, and much more in NBA 2K15's MyGM mode.

Here are some tidbits from the article:
  • On Virtual Currency: "Visual Concepts is distancing itself from its controversial approach to injecting VC into the MyGM experience last year. In NBA 2K15 the VC is nearly stripped out of the mode in favor of a leveling system where you accrue XP for every action you take."
  • On Total Control: "In response to last year's backlash regarding basic functions being hidden behind the upgrade system, Visual Concepts has surfaced the vital skills that form the backbone of the GM experience. Every GM has full control of trades, free agency, player rotations, coach firings, etc. right from the start. "
  • A new Sim feature: "Strategy-minded players who prefer a hands-off approach should check out SimCast. This new system allows you to manage rotations, strategies, sliders, and points of emphasis before hitting the start button on a sim."
  • New Scouting System: "A new pro scouting system analyzes how your team stacks up against your next opponent. Feedback includes areas of weakness you can exploit in the rival team, an analysis of their biggest threats, the team stats, and suggested points of emphasis."
  • New Draftee Storylines: "Visual Concepts plans to surface several storylines throughout the year based on research it did on the last 20-30 draft classes. The various types of players you could encounter include flash-in-the-pan players who may be at their full potential already on draft day, late bloomers who rise up the draft board at the last minute, players with serious injury concerns that you may not know about unless you him in for a visit."
  • College Stats: "For NBA 2K15 Visual Concepts built an engine to simulate an entire college season, giving you the ability to look at the stats of all draft candidates."
  • Draft Combine is in: "NBA 2K15 adds the draft combine to the mix this year, where you may find out that a school is playing fast and loose with the height and weights they list in their game programs."
  • Better Player Progression: "Visual Concepts has done a significant amount of work on player progression this year. Before, all you could do was train them in the offseason. This year that progression is split between the offseason workouts and in-season training."
  • Better Offseason Logic: "Visual Concepts says the CPU-controlled teams in NBA 2K15 have improved logic this year when managing their roster balance. Teams should better recognize that they don't need to spend on another point guard if their team already has a viable starter and will know to use their resources elsewhere."
Be sure to check out the full article for many more details on MyGM mode.

so currys ankles & roses knees will be made of glass then huh

• The new Injuries 2.0 system being introduced in NBA 2K15 drastically changes how users will approach injuries. Last year the game gave each player one durability rating; this year players have 16 different body parts with unique durability ratings.
  • Career-ending injuries aren't common, but possible. In one example Boenisch gave, a player who tore his ACL when he was 23 and re-injured the same knee at 31 called it quits.
  • When checking out a player card, the new injury tab shows the body parts with a quick color reference guide so you can see how worn down a player's body is with a quick glance. If you see a player with two knees in the red, you know he's not going to respond well to playing heavy minutes.
  • To manage players' bodies, you can tweak your practice regimen to have vulnerable players train at a lower intensity or sign them up for physical therapy. Sending a player to rehab means they will be less likely to re-injure themselves right away.

Injuries off :pimp:

So there aren't any guys like Kobe, that can just ball through injuries and pains.

Half of those guys probably have A potential too. Gonna shoot up to 83 overalls in their second seasons

will A.I. be a free agent? or not in at all? :frown: Since the game was originally his, I feel like the '01 version should be a staple player forever, just as like a sign of respect.
Yea out of respect he should be in every version of the game until the end of history. :nerd:

Half of those guys probably have A potential too. Gonna shoot up to 83 overalls in their second seasons
Not with BEdwardsRoy doing the rosters they don't. Not at all man. The roster maker this year is a routine PS3 roster guru. It ain't happening man!

Last edited:
So is mygm gonna be like last year where I gotta answer all kinds of stupid questions before and after every game just to get to the next one :smh:

I have always felt that rookies out of the box are rated too highly considering they have 0 minutes of NBA experience.
I always thought it would be cool if they updated ratings as the season went on. Not just for rookies but for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom