:: Official NBA Draft Thread - June 26, 7PM EST ::

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

I could have sworn Al Jefferson was playing the 5 last year for Minnesota...

That's because Theo Ratliff was jettisoned at mid-season and we didn't have a true center (Al Jefferson being our tallest guy at 6"10') soWittman played him there.

He's a natural 4 and plays better there anyway
laugh.gif
at the thought of Beasley falling past # 2
I was just responding to cleansneaksonly21's question...but there are rumors (as you obviously know) that Miami likes OJ, soI was just saying IF Beasley fell to us at #3, that is what would happen

UNC's Green to return for senior season

By Dan Wiederer
Staff writer

ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina forward Danny Green will return to Chapel Hill for his senior season, his father said this afternoon.

Green, who had opted to enter his name into the NBA draft pool back in April, completed his final individual workout of the pre-draft process today in San Antonio.

On Wednesday, after working out for the Washington Wizards, Green had told reporters that he was still "50-50" in his decision-making process. But Danny Green Sr. said today that his son will be back in a Tar Heels uniform for the 2008-09 season.

"From the beginning, Danny told Coach (Roy) Williams he was in this for the experience," Danny Green Sr. said. "And he had a great experience going through the process."

Green's flirtations with the NBA over the last six weeks may have caused anxiety among Tar Heels fans, but in the in the end, his father said, it truly was a win-win situation.

"Danny was never trying to run away from Chapel Hill," Green Sr. said. "He loves school down there, he loves playing basketball there and I think the right decision for him now is to go back to school."

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Allen are you a Randolph fan?

If the Knicks can't get Mayo or Bayless at 6, I think Randolph would be the best direction to turn... I'm a big fan, having seen him several times when he was here in Dallas. He's a bit of a project in terms of his body and polishing off some rough edges, but the upside is huge...

Do you go upside or safe pick at 6 if you can't get Bayless or Mayo?

Like the kid, a whole lot. His team was awful but he still had a nice season. Can run the floor, finish, block shots and has some ball skills.

Only concern I have of him, is can he handle NY...he seems to be a shy kid.

If we can't get Mayo or Bayless..I want Randolph...no question.

I'll lose it if we take Gordon or Joe Alexander
sick.gif

And Beasley is a 4, and always will be..no question to me.

No coincidence these opinions are from Rivals, and guys who watched all year...

THIS WEEK: The Miami Heat appears to be considering taking O.J. Mayo ahead of Michael Beasley with the No. 2 overall pick in the June 26 NBA Draft. Would you take Mayo over Beasley?

BOB MCCLELLAN

[table][tr][td]
0229-KSST-MIKEBEASELY1_250.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Beasley[/td] [/tr][/table]
Not a chance. I think O.J. Mayo is going to be a very good pro, a future All-Star even, but all of these guys who are jumping off the Michael Beasley bandwagon are nuts. Seriously just because he measured 6 feet 7 without shoes I'm supposed to believe he's going to stink in the league? He wasn't any taller at Kansas State last year and all he did was average 26.2 ppg and 12.4 rpg. Not bad for a ******.

Beasley grabbed at least 10 rebounds in all but four of the Wildcats' 33 games. He knows how to go get it. And when he gets it, he knows what to do with it. He scored less than 15 points only twice. That's ridiculous for anyone, let alone a freshman.

Don't wanna take my word for it? Here's what George Mason coach Jim Larranaga told me about Beasley after his team beat K-State in November at the Old Spice Classic despite 30 points and 10 rebounds from B-Easy: "He scores so easily, he rebounds at both ends, he plays above the rim. … He has a beautiful shooting touch, and he keeps his game very simple.

"I explained to my players he doesn't make moves; he just makes shots. He doesn't show you what he can do, then misses the shot."

Larranaga then proceeded to link Beasley to four Hall of Fame players. He spoke of a drive in which Beasley took one dribble from the top of the key and scored a layup and said it was reminiscent of Dr. J or Connie Hawkins. Then he said, "The guys I would compare him to are Wes Unseld as a rebounder, and he has Elvin Hayes' jump shot."

Anybody wanna pass on that?!?

JASON KING

If Miami picks O.J. Mayo ahead of Michael Beasley, it would be one of the more boneheaded decisions in the recent history of the NBA Draft.

Heck, I'm still baffled as to why Beasley isn't a lock to go No. 1 to Chicago. Beasley is the best player the college game has seen in more than a decade - sorry, Mr. Durant - and more people would realize that if he hadn't played at Kansas State.

He's an NBA-ready player who will make an immediate impact in Miami. Unless, of course, Pat Riley and Co. have a brain cramp. Mayo is a fine player, but he's not in the same class as Beasley.

MIKE HUGUENIN

[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
MAYOSTAN250.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mayo[/td] [/tr][/table]
While I think Mayo will be a solid pro, I can't see a team such as Miami picking him ahead of Beasley.

The Heat have Dwayne Wade at the 2-guard spot. No way you add Mayo unless you think he can play the point, and I find it hard to believe the Heat think Mayo would be a good point guard with Wade in the same backcourt.

If you want a shoot-first point guard, take Mayo. If you're looking for someone to complement Wade, no way do you take Mayo; I can't see him sublimating his game for anybody.

And the Heat needs frontcourt help; specifically, they need a young forward who can score (Shawn Marion is 30 and his best days are behind him).

Maybe some teams are scared off by Beasley measuring in at 6-7 at the draft camp. So what? He can score and he'll be at least an adequate NBA rebounder. Is he going to be a defensive demon? No. But you can say the same about Mayo.

In short, when it comes to Beasley vs. Mayo, go big. Take Beasley.

ANDREW SKWARA

I've wrestled back and forth on this one. If Beasley hadn't measured at 6-7 I wouldn't even consider taking Mayo first.

But, at 6-7, can Beasley be a dominant post player in the NBA? Height can be overrated, but there are only so many Wes Unselds and Charles Barkleys (Unseldwas listed at 6-7 and Barkley was 6-6).

Mayo (6-3), who has the size to play point guard and shooting guard in the NBA, has been called the player the most ready for the NBA in this draft and Iagree. Mayo is more polished than Beasley or DerrickRose at this stage of their careers. He is already a good outside shooter with range out to the NBA 3-point line, a solid ball-handler and a gooddefender.

Still, I can't help thinking Beasley will end up being a better. Players don't put up the gaudy stats he did in the Big 12 by just being a ball hogor taking advantage of smaller defenders. He plays with great determination and owns an array of skills, including a solid mid-range jumper that I believe willsteadily improve. That's what you need to overcome a lack of height. That's what you need to be special. That's why Beasley should be taken aheadof Mayo.

Mez, how/where'd you get tickets? I wanna go too.. ( i didnt read most of this post really to find out how you get them )

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Allen are you a Randolph fan?

If the Knicks can't get Mayo or Bayless at 6, I think Randolph would be the best direction to turn... I'm a big fan, having seen him several times when he was here in Dallas. He's a bit of a project in terms of his body and polishing off some rough edges, but the upside is huge...

Do you go upside or safe pick at 6 if you can't get Bayless or Mayo?

Like the kid, a whole lot. His team was awful but he still had a nice season. Can run the floor, finish, block shots and has some ball skills.

Only concern I have of him, is can he handle NY...he seems to be a shy kid.

If we can't get Mayo or Bayless..I want Randolph...no question.

To bad Randolph all but solidified he wouldnt be taken by the Knicks by getting killed by Kevin Love, Koufos, and Donte Green yesterday.

Those four along with DJ Augustin and Jason Richards were working out yesterday. Love and Augustin were the only ones that looked good.
Honestly,Randolph is a bust anyways.

After those six worked out, the Knicks worked out Gallinari....who didnt look that impressive...I couldnt see anyone taking him with a top 10 pick. But itlooks like the Knicks might if Bayless or OJ aren't there....also I believe they are interested in Eric Gordon.

Originally Posted by bballah3

To bad Randolph all but solidified he wouldnt be taken by the Knicks by getting killed by Kevin Love, Koufos, and Donte Green yesterday.

Explain please. How exactly did he get killed. I mean, im pretty sure He got bodied my Kosta and Love since they have plenty of size on him.

And Donte? Prolly shot lights out against Randolph....Since Donte' is a shooter.

Please explain. Thanks
happy.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

Explain please. How exactly did he get killed. I mean, im pretty sure He got bodied my Kosta and Love since they have plenty of size on him.

And Donte? Prolly shot lights out against Randolph....Since Donte' is a shooter.

Please explain. Thanks
happy.gif

Well he couldnt play D on anyone and couldnt score on anyone besides about 3 jump shots he just chucked up and got lucky on....He had the ball stolen fromhim numerous times...when he tried to post up he couldnt do anything because he has no moves down low....and he had NO IDEA WHAT-SO-EVER on how to defend apick & roll/pick & pop....which is the most basic play in basketball.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Please explain. Thanks
happy.gif

Well he couldnt play D on anyone and couldnt score on anyone besides about 3 jump shots he just chucked up and got lucky on....He had the ball stolen from him numerous times...when he tried to post up he couldnt do anything because he has no moves down low....and he had NO IDEA WHAT-SO-EVER on how to defend a pick & roll/pick & pop....which is the most basic play in basketball.
smh.gif
sick.gif
roll.gif

Ehh...kid has things you can't teach.

There's no question he needs work...but he has upside.

I mean, the kid is a better player than Greene, that's for sure.

..and if we take Gordon, I'm gona have a real hard time with that.

i think that MIA should take mayo over beasley... haslem is still a young players and he doesnt get a lot of credit for all the dirty work he does..... so ithink haslem and wright will be fine... who is wade gonna be paired up with??? how many more years does J williams and ricky davis have??? i would get rid ofmarcus banks in a heart beat...... i would play wade, mayo, marion, haslem, barron/ blount

Was reading up on the draft and came across this
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]
glenn-rivers.jpg
[/td] [td]
phil-jackson.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Celtics Coach
Glenn "Doc" Rivers
1983 draft profile
[/td] [td]
Lakers Coach

Phil Jackson

1967 draft profile
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
NBA.com bio
[/td] [td]
NBA.com bio
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Celtics Lineup
Team DraftHistory
[table][tr][td]
ray-allen.jpg
[/td] [td]
kevin-garnett.jpg
[/td] [td]
kendrick-perkins.jpg
[/td] [td]
paul-pierce.jpg
[/td] [td]
rajon-rondo.jpg

[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Ray Allen
1996 draft profile [/td] [td]K. Garnett
1995 draft profile[/td] [td]
Kendrick Perkins

2003 draft profile
[/td] [td]
P. Pierce

1998 draft profile
[/td] [td]
Rajon Rondo

2006 draft profile
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]NBA.com profile[/td] [td]NBA.com profile[/td] [td]NBA.com profile[/td] [td]NBA.com profile[/td] [td]NBA.com profile[/td] [/tr][/table]
Lakers Lineup
Team DraftHistory

[table][tr][td]
kobe-bryant.jpg
[/td] [td]
derek-fisher.jpg
[/td] [td]
pau-gasol.jpg
[/td] [td]
lamar-odom.jpg
[/td] [td]
vladimir-radmanovic.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
K. Bryant

1996 draft profile
[/td] [td]
Derek Fisher

1996 draft profile
[/td] [td]
Pau Gasol http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1019&Itemid=5

2001 draft profile
[/td] [td]
L. Odom

1999 draft profile
[/td] [td]
V. Radmanovic

2001 draft profile
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]NBA.com profile[/td] [td]NBA.com profile[/td] [td]NBA.com profile[/td] [td]NBA.com profile[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Phil
laugh.gif

Alexander staying in draft

Joe Alexander is staying in the NBA draft, and that could be potentially good news for the Bucks.

Alexander, a small forward from West Virginia who is projected to be drafted in the six-to-10 range - the Bucks have the eighth pick - told me he was on the brink of signing with an agent.

Like all early-entry draft prospects, Alexander has until Monday whether to remain in the draft or return to college. Alexander has one year of college eligibility remaining..

But Alexander, who has seen his stock soar in the last three weeks, said he intended to hire Doug Neustadt as his agent.

Neustadt represents several NBA players, including former Marquette University point guard Travis Diener of the Indiana Pacers.

"Doug's my guy,'' Alexander said.

Alexander was once projected to be a mid first-round draft choice. However, Alexander performed well in drills at the recent pre-draft camp in Orlando, Fla., and then impressed during workouts with the Bucks and New York Knicks, who have the sixth overall selection.

Rumors still flying

With the NBA draft less than two weeks away - June 26th, to be precise - rumors continue to swirl around the Bucks.

There has been ample talk the Bucks would like to package their No. 1 pick and a player - perhaps Charlie Villanueva - for an established player - or to move up in the draft - possibly with Minnesota at No. 3 - to possibly select Southern California guard O.J. Mayo.

It's no secret the Timberwolves are receptive to moving back and acquiring another player, especially considering they have so many holes to plug.

There are also whispers both Washington - which has the 18th pick - and Golden State - which has the 14h pick - are more than willing to unload their picks.

Golden State has shown interest in Villanueva and Bucks power forward Yi Jianlian in the past. The Wizards apparently are looking for a player who can immediately fit into their rotation.

Back
Top Bottom