**OFFICIAL NBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (MVP) THREAD**

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

Originally Posted by tupac003

The race isn't over...

But tonights game might have helped some folks.

I wouldn't mind co-mvps. IMO I just can't short change what CP3 has done.

But if kobe takes it by himself I wouldn't be upset.
I think it's over now
I don't think so..

You still got people out there who think that if the hornets win out and some how get the number one seed that cp3 is the mvp.

^ ya that' true. The votes will definitely be close, but I still think he'll win it. Also I don't see L.A losing the #1 seed now, especially to theKings, that they've got momentum headed into the playoffs.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/other_nba/view.bg?articleid=1086849&srvc=rss

Robert Frost once said that liberals were people too open-minded to take their own side in an argument. He could have saidthe same thing about those who must fill out the NBA awards ballots. Or at least about this voter.

You can make strong arguments for Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett and LeBron James, and I'd probably agree with you. Each has major merits, and,in the end, it all comes down to how you choose to look at the process. (It's the same issue I have with midseason and postseason report cards - and why Idon't believe I do them well.)

Should the MVP simply be the best player on the best team? Or the player with the best numbers? Or the player who is "most valuable" to his team?The last definition always loses me - the "where would his team be without him?" qualification. Using that logic, the Celtics [team stats] would have been in theD-League without Paul Pierce [stats] a couple of years ago,so why didn't get any votes?

If you simply say the MVP is the best player in the league, then you might want to listen to a few general managers who say unequivocally that if all theplayers' names were tossed into a hat and they were picking new teams from scratch to start the playoffs, they would take Tim Duncan No. 1.

Therein lies the fallacy of the MVP award. It is an individual honor, and basketball done right is not an individual game. Sure, great artists can step awayfrom the orchestra at times for a soaring solo, but winning is about making the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

In other words, are you taking Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell?

We wrote here recently - and Doc Rivers agreed- that the Celtics wouldn't have had the best record in the league had Garnett, Pierce and Ray Allen played in a manner that attracts MVP votes. The awardis almost antithetical to the way the Celtics approach the game both now and in their glory years.cw0cw0

But none of this is getting my ballot filled out, now is it? So with the caveat that my mind is open to change, here's how we're looking at thingswith a few days left to decide:
1. Chris Paul, New Orleans. He is on pace to be the first player in 15 years to average 20 points and 10 assists, but thegreater reason we're leaning in his direction is that he simply had to do more to get his team where it is.
2. Kevin Garnett, Celtics. He's not going to win it, and the team's success is reflective of the fact he hasn't gone for it. But Garnett has toget credit for the Celtics' defense (a general non-factor to MVP voters) and his impact on the younger players. It's not just the opportunity to playnext to him; teammates like Kendrick Perkins [stats] andRajon Rondo [stats] are helped, too, butGarnett's inclusive nature off the court. Much of what he does is hard to quantify . . . unless you want to look at the Celts' record.

3. LeBron James, Cleveland. The kid's a colossus, and the belief here is that he'll do an even better job down the line drawing more from histeammates.

4. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers. Nice of him to finally come around on Andrew Bynum, huh? No one can deny his talent, but the yearly drama is getting abit tired.

5. Tim Duncan, San Antonio. There has to be room for The Big Fundamental.

Idiots like him who has a vote is why I'm not sure Kobe will get MVP... This fool has him 4th because of stuff that happened in the off-season.

Originally Posted by Rukawa sj

4. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers. Nice of him to finally come around on Andrew Bynum, huh? No one can deny his talent, but the yearly drama is getting a bit tired.
laugh.gif
what a joke.
Anybody who doesn't have CP3/Kobe in the 1 and 2 spot is stupid.

Also, the NBA MVP is a complete joke of an award.
They gave it to Malone because MJ won it too many times, the most dominate player in the last 10 years only won it once, Steve friken Nash won the award twice.
TWICE!!
This is the one award everyone debates about for the longest time and after they reward it, nobody cares for it.
What the hell does MVP stand for anyway? Most valuable? Best player on the best team? Most outstanding?
Stop changing the damn definition every year.

Another thing, give the vote back to the players. Some of these sportswriters are complete homers and haters.
I'm still trying to figure out how a man can get 22 1st place votes and finish in 4th place. How is that possible?
I can't even discuss basketball with that many people because most fans I talk to now adays are complete tards.
You have your irrational Kobe is the GOAT riders, your even more irrational D-Wade is better than Kobe and I hate Kobe with all my guts haters, your LeBronriders/haters, etc.
It's a complete joke now adays, I sware it's like people get dumber and dumber every day.

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

Originally Posted by tupac003

The race isn't over...

But tonights game might have helped some folks.

I wouldn't mind co-mvps. IMO I just can't short change what CP3 has done.

But if kobe takes it by himself I wouldn't be upset.
I think it's over now
Pretty much...unless something funny happens and we all know the voters are type funny like that.....

Chris Paul has been playing like crap these last few games and his team's record has reflected that While Kobe and his team have actually been playinggreat ball and are now in 1st place in the west...

1st place in the West = MVP... Kobe should have it locked up unless the Lakers choke off Tuesday night...

Kobe leads the Lakers to the best record in the west and he'll come in 4th behind chris, kevin and Lebron.

Watch it happen.

Originally Posted by LA Laker Devotee

Kobe leads the Lakers to the best record in the west and he'll come in 4th behind chris, kevin and Lebron.

Watch it happen.

I hope it does happen like that so the media can start to answer some questions.
roll.gif

I'd love to hear the spin on that.

Originally Posted by LA Laker Devotee

Watch it happen.
In some funny way I wouldn't mind that happening, because nobody would take the award seriously anyway. But Kobe's got it locked up, Lakersare back, leaving the haters all heated.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Originally Posted by Rukawa sj

4. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers. Nice of him to finally come around on Andrew Bynum, huh? No one can deny his talent, but the yearly drama is getting a bit tired.
laugh.gif
what a joke.
Anybody who doesn't have CP3/Kobe in the 1 and 2 spot is stupid.

CP3 is done now. he just dropped two straight games in the midst of a tight playoff race. and one of them was to a way inferior team.

in no way am i demeaning his great season, just saying that with things being so tight you have be MVP for 82 games and not 79.

If Kobe does win the MVP he needs to get over that MVP hurdle real quick. Dirk and Nash won the MVP the last 3 years and it didn't work out so well. Idon't want the same thing to go on this year.

Unless Paul wins it.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

CP3 is done now. he just dropped two straight games in the midst of a tight playoff race. and one of them was to a way inferior team.

in no way am i demeaning his great season, just saying that with things being so tight you have be MVP for 82 games and not 79.
I have been adamant that I believe Paul should be the MVP, for how he has turned that franchise around. But now I will concede. I believe theLakers have the #1 seed pretty much locked up now correct ? If Kobe wins it, which I think he will now, I got no problems with it.

In a race this close, Paul needed to finish strong. IMO

Roundtable: Who is the league's 2007-08 MVP?

A season like no other has had an MVP race like no other.
Fans and writers began buzzing about the MVP competition in November, as it became clear that this season could be something special.

The hot names early in the season were Kevin Garnett (for Boston's 29-3 start), Dwight Howard (for Orlando streaking on the road) and LeBron James (forbeing LeBron).

Then as it dawned on everyone that the Lakers and the Hornets were for real, and might not fade as in seasons past, two more names broke through: KobeBryant and Chris Paul.

From there, it became a question of what voters (and fans) valued more:

• Garnett's defense and leadership toward the biggest team improvement in NBA history;
• Howard's impersonation of Shaq … and Superman;
• LeBron's amazing numbers in the face of team turmoil;
• Paul's mastery of the point guard position and firm control of the surprising Hornets;
• Bryant's key role in leading the Lakers while holding the unofficial title of Best Two-Way Player in the Game.

In the end, KB24 prevailed narrowly over CP3 on ESPN.com's ballots, as many expect to happen in the official voting results. Some of Bryant'ssupporters insisted their vote was not a "lifetime achievement award," but it seemed clear that many believe it's his turn. After all, Paul isjust 22 years old, and James is just 23, so presumably their time will come. And Garnett took home his MVP trophy four years ago.

We will remember 2007-08 for many things, including the rebirth of the Celtics (thanks, KG) and the New Orleans renaissance (thanks, CP). And it remains tobe seen what dramatic stories are in front of us in the next 10 weeks. But in any case, we won't be able to tell the story of this past season withoutKobe, from his heated accusations of last spring and summer to his success with Team USA to his surprising and gratifying star turn as the leader of apotentially great Lakers team.

For those reasons and many more, Kobe Bean Bryant is the ESPN.com choice for NBA MVP.
[table][tr][td]ESPN.com's NBA MVP Ballot[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rank[/td] [td]Player[/td] [td]Stats[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
1.gif
[/td] [td]
3118.jpg

Kobe Bryant
Los Angeles Lakers
Shooting Guard
Team record: 56-25[/td] [td]Points per game: 28.4
Rebounds per game: 6.3
Assists per game: 5.4
Kobe's complete statistics
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
2.gif
[/td] [td]
3930.jpg

Chris Paul
New Orleans Hornets
Point Guard
Team record: 55-25[/td] [td]Points per game: 21.1
Rebounds per game: 4.0
Assists per game: 11.6
Paul's complete statistics
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
3.gif
[/td] [td]
3007.jpg

Kevin Garnett
Boston Celtics
Power Forward
Team record: 64-16[/td] [td]Points per game: 19.0
Rebounds per game: 9.3
Assists per game: 3.5
Garnett's complete statistics
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
4.gif
[/td] [td]
3704.jpg

LeBron James
Cleveland Cavaliers
Small Forward
Team record: 44-36[/td] [td]Points per game: 30.0
Rebounds per game: 7.9
Assists per game: 7.2
Complete stats
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
5.gif
[/td] [td]
3818.jpg

Dwight Howard
Orlando Magic
Center
Team record: 50-30[/td] [td]Points per game: 20.9
Rebounds per game: 14.3
Blocks per game: 2.2
Complete stats
[/td] [/tr][/table][h2]The Tally[/h2]
Kobe Bryant: 64 points (9 first-place votes, 2 second, 3 third, 1 fourth)
Chris Paul: 60 points (4 first-place votes, 8 second, 2 third, 1 fourth)
Kevin Garnett: 44 points (1 first-place vote, 4 second, 5 third, 3 fourth, 2 fifth)
LeBron James: 37 points (1 first-place vote, 1 second, 5 third, 5 second, 3 fifth)
Dwight Howard: 10 points (3 fourth-place votes, 4 fifth)
Amare Stoudemire: 6 points (2 fourth-place votes, 2 fifth)
Tim Duncan: 1 point
Manu Ginobili: 1 point
Tracy McGrady: 1 point
Hedo Turkoglu: 1 point

Five points awarded for first-place votes, four points for second place, and so on.
[h2]The Ballots:[/h2]
Henry Abbott

J.A. Adande

Maurice Brooks

Chris Broussard

Chad Ford

Jemele Hill

John Hollinger

Mark Jackson

Scoop Jackson

Tim Legler

Chris Palmer

Jalen Rose

Chris Sheridan

Marc Stein

David Thorpe

Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=MVP08

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

This guy right here:

3PLEDOUBLE!!!

Enough said.

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
did he post in the last game thread? maybe he really isstarting to think his predictions make them win
laugh.gif

im actually surprised this year, all the people on espn finally ageeing and giving Kobe the award. Hopefully he gets it.

Back
Top Bottom