Official NBA OFF-SEASON Thread - 2011: Free Agency Dec. 9th

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

So Stern just said if the lockout ends there's no way there's going to be a full season? So they won't even bother going a few extra weeks or cramming games in to a month?

I wouldn't even mind if they decided to move All star week to the end of the postseason.
It wouldn't make sense to have a full season. Even if they got a deal done Monday, you're looking at December 1st for a start date, basically. And All-Star week after the post season? Are you crazy? The Olympics would be a few weeks later. Nobody is playing in an All-Star game who's committed to London, especially after the playoffs.
I forgot all about the Olympics. Just cancel it then (the Allstar break I mean
laugh.gif
).

Basketball Never Stops commercial is
smokin.gif

I agree about the number of games going to be played this season ( If there is any
nerd.gif
)... If enough games get cancelled, the league is better off doing a shorter seaosn with the playoffs rather than killing the players by cramming 82 games into the season.

[h2]J.R. Smith, Chandler to be released in China[/h2]

Posted by Royce Young

When J.R. Smith and Wilson Chandler signed contracts to play in China during the lockout, it appears they were basically out of the 2011-12 NBA season. The Chinese Basketball Association built in a "no opt-out" clause that wouldn't allow temporary renting of NBA players during the lockout.

Doesn't appear that rule holds much weight. Already Earl Clark hasgone to the Far East and returned despite the no opt-out rule. And you might be able to add two more that: J.R. Smith and Wilson Chandler. 

ESPN.com reports there's a "quiet expectation in Chinese basketball circles is that Chandler and Smith will be released by teams there when NBA lockout ends."

But how? I thought there was a rule stopping this from happening? 

There is, but that doesn't mean teams can't waive their players. And if Chandler and Smith's teams were to waive them, they'd be free to return if they want. And not just that, but players can sort of force their team's hand to waive them by asking for it or just refusing to play. Chinese hoops blog NIUBBall put it this way
Technically, yes that’s true. But you forgot to consider an important point — this is the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association)! Despite what the language of a contract may say, there are no such things as “guaranteed contracts

Saw this on ESPN.com just now. Link here. It talks about contract amnesty clauses allowing teams to cut x amount of players who basically aren't living up to thier contracts. Part of the problem with this NBA economy is that a lot of teams are paying way too much money for marginal talent. At least half of the players with these huge contracts aren't worth a quarter of what they're making (Richard Jefferson, Baron Davis, Gilbert Arenas, Rudy Gay, Rashard Lewis, Al Harrington, Rip Hamilton, Elton Brand, Andre Igodala, etc). I'd say at least 60% of the NBA teams need help from themselves to keep from making the atrocious decisions they make. Your thoughts?

damn nike didn't holla @ kobe for the basketball never stops commercial. hmm.

edit.  come to think of it, Kob probably said nah lol.

j.cole sighting @ 1:09?

[h1]Phiten presents Still Flexin' by Pac Div — Ft. Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Derrick Williams, Eric Gordon[/h1]

Like, Mibbs, BeYoung, The DiV, album 11-8-11

[h1]
[h1]Gay Announces Charity Game Set For Nov. 8[/h1]
Updated: Tuesday, 01 Nov 2011, 3:43 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 01 Nov 2011, 3:43 PM CDT
Memphis, Tn - Kevin Durant, John Wall and Josh Smith along with several of Gay's teammates are slated to play in the event to benefit the Flight 22 Foundation; Tickets go on sale Wednesday.

Memphis Grizzlies star forward Rudy Gay has today announced that he is hosting a charity basketball exhibition game on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2011. The game will tipoff at 7:30 PM and be played at the DeSoto Civic Center in Southaven, MS, a venue just outside of Memphis. Proceeds from the game will benefit the Flight 22 Foundation, Gay's non-profit organization that raises funds for childhood education.

Tickets for the game will go on sale tomorrow (November 2nd) beginning at 10 AM and are available on at the DeSoto Civic Center box office (4560 Venture Drive Southaven, MS 38671) or by calling 1-800-745-3000.

Along with Gay, the other NBA stars slated to participate include two-time All-Star Kevin Durant, 2011 all-rookie honoree John Wall, Grizzlies teammates Zack Randolph and OJ Mayo along with other players such as Josh Smith and Kyle Lowry. Memphis basketball legend Penny Hardaway is also confirmed to play.

Additional names will be announced by Gay in the coming days. 
I've played in several exhibition games over the past few weeks and have always wanted to bring my own game to the Memphis area which can raise money for charity, said Gay. It will be fun to gather some of the great names in the NBA to play a competitive game that the crowd will enjoy. More importantly, I'm excited that well be able to create childhood educational opportunities in the Memphis area which is a cause I strongly support.

Since joining the Grizzlies in 2006, Gay has been a centerpiece of the franchise while averaging 17.8 points per game and 5.6 rebounds per game. The forward was also key member of the USA Basketball team that captured the gold medal at the 2010 FIBA World Championships last summer. Gay was delivering the best statistical season of his career last year before suffering a shoulder injury that ended his season.

Gays Flight 22 Foundation serves as his flagship charitable organization which donates money to a variety of charities that support increasing education opportunities for children in Memphis and his hometown of Baltimore, MD. 
[/h1]
I must be in attendance. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Put em up

how people cant appreciate that mans game is mindblowing.
How anyone could take anything away from a Nike ad showing him dunking on nobody is equally mindblowing.

what?

so i take it youve never seen him play basketball. if you havent then ill tell you, hes a great player. when its all said and done he will be one of the greatest. when hes done playing, people will talk about him for years. all the dumb sideways hate he gets for being him, i think is insane. kid is a hard working monster.

how people cant appreciate that mans game is mindblowing.
How anyone could take anything away from a Nike ad showing him dunking on nobody is equally mindblowing.

what?

so i take it youve never seen him play basketball. if you havent then ill tell you, hes a great player. when its all said and done he will be one of the greatest. when hes done playing, people will talk about him for years. all the dumb sideways hate he gets for being him, i think is insane. kid is a hard working monster.
Way to miss the point entirely.

For the record, I happen to think Lebron is the best basketball player in the world.

Jimmy Buss In Control Of Lakers, Openly Resentful Of Jackson
Nov 02, 2011 2:01 PM EDT

During his interview with the Lakers for their head coaching position, Brian Shaw was taken aback by the negatively from Jimmy Buss about Phil Jackson.

"There were some things that were said that I won't really get into," Shaw said. "It was kind of bashing Phil Jackson, that I just refused to just sit and listen to. And that's when I said, 'Hey, I love Phil Jackson. I appreciate everything that we've all been able to accomplish under him. We've all prospered since he's been the coach here.' "

Told of Shaw's comments, Mitch Kupchak said he and the Lakers will always appreciate the contributions of Jackson to the franchise.

"Phil and I have a great relationship -- I was with him two days ago and we sat down for an hour a week ago," Kupchak said. "We had been to seven NBA Finals and won five Finals with him, and this organization is eternally grateful to have had him as a coach.

"I don't know what you're referring to what took place in that meeting. I don't even want to speculate. ... Phil has been very, very good to this organization and city, and we are very, very grateful to have had him as coach. I consider him as a friend and somebody I owe a lot to personally."

But Shaw says Kupchak wasn't the one speaking poorly of Jackson.

"The negativity toward Phil didn't come from Mitch," Shaw said. "It was more from Jimmy Buss just doubting some of the decisions he made in terms of how he was handling and running the team and coaching the team on the sidelines, and sitting down instead of getting up. People look at coaches and want them to pace up and down the sidelines and bark instructions to the guys. That's not Phil's demeanor. That was viewed as a negative in my estimation -- but it won him five championships with the Lakers and six with the Bulls, and that was his coaching style when he won, so why was that not acceptable now?"

Two weeks after he heard of Mike Brown's impending hire, Shaw said he received a voicemail from Jerry Buss.

"Dr. Buss did call and leave a message saying that his son is in control now, and he has to let him make whatever decisions that he makes, that I was still one of his favorites, and that he was sure that I would be OK going forward," Shaw said.

The lakers bout to get their James Dolan on

I think we're going to see the beginning of the decline for the Lakers. Jimmy Buss is an idiot. He's spoiled little brat that's never had a real job that's lived off of his father's money all his life. Kobe better find a way to get out of Dodge now. Also, Mike Brown couldn't coach his way out of a plastic shopping bag. Unless he spent the time away from coaching truly honing his skills, the Lakers are in for a sorry time under his tenure...Mark my words.

Back
Top Bottom