Official NBA OFF-SEASON Thread - 2011: Free Agency Dec. 9th

Originally Posted by psk2310

I think we're going to see the beginning of the decline for the Lakers. Jimmy Buss is an idiot. He's spoiled little brat that's never had a real job that's lived off of his father's money all his life. Kobe better find a way to get out of Dodge now. Also, Mike Brown couldn't coach his way out of a plastic shopping bag. Unless he spent the time away from coaching truly honing his skills, the Lakers are in for a sorry time under his tenure...Mark my words.

And that would be a damn shame.  I would prefer Jeannie Buss take control.

Does this look like a guy who's credible?

6a00d8341c506253ef01538ecf6143970b-640wi

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Originally Posted by psk2310

I think we're going to see the beginning of the decline for the Lakers. Jimmy Buss is an idiot. He's spoiled little brat that's never had a real job that's lived off of his father's money all his life. Kobe better find a way to get out of Dodge now. Also, Mike Brown couldn't coach his way out of a plastic shopping bag. Unless he spent the time away from coaching truly honing his skills, the Lakers are in for a sorry time under his tenure...Mark my words.

And that would be a damn shame.  I would prefer Jeannie Buss take control.

Does this look like a guy who's credible?

6a00d8341c506253ef01538ecf6143970b-640wi

Dude has a mullet...Really?

I keep getting double pages and then no pages. This thread may be ready for a 2.0, especially with no ending of the lockout in the foreseeable future.

When the NBA comes back and TNT makes Charles compete in "Who He Play For," they better ask him about the guys playing in China. That will be comedy.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by Put em up

How anyone could take anything away from a Nike ad showing him dunking on nobody is equally mindblowing.

what?

so i take it youve never seen him play basketball. if you havent then ill tell you, hes a great player. when its all said and done he will be one of the greatest. when hes done playing, people will talk about him for years. all the dumb sideways hate he gets for being him, i think is insane. kid is a hard working monster.
Way to miss the point entirely.

For the record, I happen to think Lebron is the best basketball player in the world.

For the record I think Kobe is still the best basketball player in the world.
I think it's jus' that Kobe has the heart & killer instinct. It's what puts him over LeBron at this point.

Originally Posted by Put em up

How anyone could take anything away from a Nike ad showing him dunking on nobody is equally mindblowing.

what?

so i take it youve never seen him play basketball. if you havent then ill tell you, hes a great player. when its all said and done he will be one of the greatest. when hes done playing, people will talk about him for years. all the dumb sideways hate he gets for being him, i think is insane. kid is a hard working monster.
Way to miss the point entirely.

For the record, I happen to think Lebron is the best basketball player in the world.

For the record I think Kobe is still the best basketball player in the world.
I think it's jus' that Kobe has the heart & killer instinct. It's what puts him over LeBron at this point.

Originally Posted by DubA169

Jimmy Buss In Control Of Lakers, Openly Resentful Of Jackson
Nov 02, 2011 2:01 PM EDT

During his interview with the Lakers for their head coaching position, Brian Shaw was taken aback by the negatively from Jimmy Buss about Phil Jackson.

"There were some things that were said that I won't really get into," Shaw said. "It was kind of bashing Phil Jackson, that I just refused to just sit and listen to. And that's when I said, 'Hey, I love Phil Jackson. I appreciate everything that we've all been able to accomplish under him. We've all prospered since he's been the coach here.' "

Told of Shaw's comments, Mitch Kupchak said he and the Lakers will always appreciate the contributions of Jackson to the franchise.

"Phil and I have a great relationship -- I was with him two days ago and we sat down for an hour a week ago," Kupchak said. "We had been to seven NBA Finals and won five Finals with him, and this organization is eternally grateful to have had him as a coach.

"I don't know what you're referring to what took place in that meeting. I don't even want to speculate. ... Phil has been very, very good to this organization and city, and we are very, very grateful to have had him as coach. I consider him as a friend and somebody I owe a lot to personally."

But Shaw says Kupchak wasn't the one speaking poorly of Jackson.

"The negativity toward Phil didn't come from Mitch," Shaw said. "It was more from Jimmy Buss just doubting some of the decisions he made in terms of how he was handling and running the team and coaching the team on the sidelines, and sitting down instead of getting up. People look at coaches and want them to pace up and down the sidelines and bark instructions to the guys. That's not Phil's demeanor. That was viewed as a negative in my estimation -- but it won him five championships with the Lakers and six with the Bulls, and that was his coaching style when he won, so why was that not acceptable now?"

Two weeks after he heard of Mike Brown's impending hire, Shaw said he received a voicemail from Jerry Buss.

"Dr. Buss did call and leave a message saying that his son is in control now, and he has to let him make whatever decisions that he makes, that I was still one of his favorites, and that he was sure that I would be OK going forward," Shaw said.

The lakers bout to get their James Dolan on
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

Like what Roland Lazenby wrote, Mike Brown is Drew Bynum's coach. Jimmy was the reason why Bynum is a Laker and he will ride with him until the end of time. It seems like after every failed championship, Jerry passes the torch to Jim but of course Jerry comes back and cleans up his mess. Jim alienates himself from the staff and apparently, knows nothing about running a basketball team. I would've let Jeanie be the heir apparent to Jerry Buss. Jeanie is very involved and deserves it with all the hard work she's put in to the organization.

Interesting read.

http://lakernation.com/2011/07/lazenby-mike-brown-is-drew-bynums-coach/

During his interview with the Lakers for their head coaching position, Brian Shaw was taken aback by the negatively from Jimmy Buss about Phil Jackson.

"There were some things that were said that I won't really get into," Shaw said. "It was kind of bashing Phil Jackson, that I just refused to just sit and listen to. And that's when I said, 'Hey, I love Phil Jackson. I appreciate everything that we've all been able to accomplish under him. We've all prospered since he's been the coach here.' "

Told of Shaw's comments, Mitch Kupchak said he and the Lakers will always appreciate the contributions of Jackson to the franchise.

"Phil and I have a great relationship -- I was with him two days ago and we sat down for an hour a week ago," Kupchak said. "We had been to seven NBA Finals and won five Finals with him, and this organization is eternally grateful to have had him as a coach.

"I don't know what you're referring to what took place in that meeting. I don't even want to speculate. ... Phil has been very, very good to this organization and city, and we are very, very grateful to have had him as coach. I consider him as a friend and somebody I owe a lot to personally."

"The negativity toward Phil didn't come from Mitch," Shaw said. "It was more from Jimmy Buss just doubting some of the decisions he made in terms of how he was handling and running the team and coaching the team on the sidelines, and sitting down instead of getting up. People look at coaches and want them to pace up and down the sidelines and bark instructions to the guys. That's not Phil's demeanor. That was viewed as a negative in my estimation -- but it won him five championships with the Lakers and six with the Bulls, and that was his coaching style when he won, so why was that not acceptable now?"

Two weeks after he heard of Mike Brown's impending hire, Shaw said he received a voicemail from Jerry Buss.

"Dr. Buss did call and leave a message saying that his son is in control now, and he has to let him make whatever decisions that he makes, that I was still one of his favorites, and that he was sure that I would be OK going forward," Shaw said.

30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

Like what Roland Lazenby wrote, Mike Brown is Drew Bynum's coach. Jimmy was the reason why Bynum is a Laker and he will ride with him until the end of time. It seems like after every failed championship, Jerry passes the torch to Jim but of course Jerry comes back and cleans up his mess. Jim alienates himself from the staff and apparently, knows nothing about running a basketball team. I would've let Jeanie be the heir apparent to Jerry Buss. Jeanie is very involved and deserves it with all the hard work she's put in to the organization.

Interesting read.

Great SI interview with Arron Afflalo...

[h1]http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/11/03/afflalo-talks-carmelo-trade-free-agency-more/[/h1]
[h1]Afflalo talks Carmelo trade, free agency, more[/h1]
Denver Nuggets | Comments

Arron Afflalo has become, improbably, a bit of a cause cÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]lèbre among NBA die-hards. In his four years in the league, Afflalo has averaged double figures in scoring just once (last season in Denver) and never put up a league-average Player Efficiency Rating. Even so, fans of every team with a need on the wing — and especially fans in Chicago — are clamoring for their club to make a run at Afflalo, who will be a restricted free agent once the league resumes business. A lot of Bulls fans preferred him when presented with a theoretical choice between signing him and trading for Golden State’s Monta Ellis, and I ranked Afflalo as the best wing free agent considering all factors — age, cost, potential and value.

Afflalo has already established himself as an elite three-and-D guy, and he showed signs last season that he might be ready to take on a bigger role as a secondary scorer and creator. He talked at length to SI.com about free agency, the Carmelo Anthony trade and his game.

SI.com: Are you aware how much die-hard NBA fans love your game? You didn’t play all that much in Detroit during your first two seasons, but after last season, a lot of fans want you to sign with their team.

Afflalo: [Laughing] Everyone has their path to success, man. Mine is just a little different. It’s just an expectation of mine to rise in the league, and to do it through hard work. I’m going to be a much better player — a complete player.

SI.com: The Nuggets have had a crazy offseason, with Nene about to be an unrestricted free agent and three different free agents (J.R. Smith, Kenyon Martin and Wilson Chandler) all in China. Do you want to stay in Denver?

Afflalo: The way I moved forward at first was that I just planned on returning to Denver. That was just my feel, because my role had grown so much last season from a leadership standpoint. I felt it was almost my team. I felt a sense of responsibility. But obviously as the offseason goes on and changes are made, you have to weigh your options. My gut at the end of the season was that I’d be back in Denver, but you have to keep your options open. And for me, it’s all about winning.

Spoiler [+]
SI.com: And the thing is, most of the teams set to have lots of cap room are not going to be contenders next season. The best teams are all going to be over the cap, meaning they might only be able to offer you the mid-level exception. Do you think you’re worth more than that? How do you weigh all the variables?
Afflalo: I’d hate to say what I think I’m worth and end up disrespecting someone who says I’m not worth that amount — or disrespecting myself by saying I’m only worth a certain amount. Do I feel I’m worth more than the mid-level? Of course. I know I’m going to continue to improve, and contracts don’t change once you sign them. So from that standpoint, of course you want to say you’re worth $8 million or $9 million, but as you said, when you look at where the contenders are sitting, you have to place a certain value on winning and the situation.

The bottom line is that if you’re a millionaire, you’re going to be fine.

SI.com: The Bulls could use some two-way punch at shooting guard. Have you thought about how you’d fit there?

Afflalo: Oh yeah, my agent [Sam Goldfeder] brought that up to me before the lockout. He definitely mentioned the Bulls as a dream that would be great for me based on fit.

SI.com: If there is a knock on your game at this point, it’s that you haven’t proved you can create your own shot consistently at the NBA level — whether it’s in isolation, on pick-and-rolls or whatever. If you look at the numbers, you haven’t used a very high percentage of your team’s possessions.

Afflalo: Yeah, my usage rate has been pretty low.

SI.com: Usage rate? You know the advanced stats, huh?

Afflalo: [Laughing] I’m a student of the game.

SI.com: Anyway — what about that criticism? It seemed to me last season, you showed a little more off the dribble, curling around screens, etc.

Afflalo: I was just kind of playing off of other guys for my entire career until they traded Carmelo and Chauncey [Billups], who tended to dominate the ball a little more. And that’s where I feel my growth is going to come — through opportunity. I haven’t quite gotten to show I can create, post up and be more of a playmaker for my teammates. It takes confidence in this league, but it also takes preparation and the chance to show that skill set. I have no doubts about my creative ability.

SI.com: Speaking of the Melo trade: It looked like you guys were having a ball after he left. You were so fun to watch.

Afflalo: It was really fun. We had so many weapons, and there was a good storyline behind it, with Melo leaving. We all just really wanted to win. If I am back in Denver, I hope we bring back as much of that group as possible. We just had a really team-oriented spirit.

SI.com: Some people will take that as saying it wasn’t as fun to play with Melo. Is that the case?

Afflalo: There’s two ways to look at it: Yes, he’s always going to be the focal point of the offense, and he’s a very aggressive player. But at the same time, he draws so much attention, and that opened up a lot of opportunities. I found myself open a lot. But when he left, I found more opportunities with the ball in my hands. And you also have to remember: Look at all the guys we got back for him, and that’s to his credit.

SI.com: You’ve talked about your creative abilities. What’s something in that area you think you’re already quite good at?

Afflalo: One of my strengths is my post-up ability. I work really well in the post, in terms of scoring myself or drawing a double team to create for others. But I definitely need to get better at running the pick-and-roll. I was a point guard in high school and I ran backup point guard in college, but as I got better at a scorer at UCLA, I got put off the ball more. And that’s where I ended up at first in the NBA. It’s not that I can’t create off the dribble or run the pick-and-roll; it’s just that I haven’t done it in years.

SI.com: There’s a fine line, though, right? You don’t necessarily want to take too big a role in your team’s offense, especially if you’re playing with someone like Derrick Rose.

Afflalo: The key is to be efficient. I’m just trying to figure out how much of my game I can put forth before it’s detrimental to my team. I’m still heading toward the direction of using more of myself, but I will never let it get to the point where I’m trying to be a star but my team is not winning.

And I felt last season that as I got better as an offensive player, there would at times be some slippage in the defensive intensity I’ve shown throughout my career. I didn’t like that. I want to get my conditioning and strength to where I can guard the other team’s best player the whole game and still score efficiently.

SI.com: You played small forward a lot in small lineups last season. Do you like that? Does it matter?

Afflalo: It’s irrelevant. George Karl says he just likes basketball players, and he’s just going to put five basketball players on the court. My ability to defend the “threeâ€

Great SI interview with Arron Afflalo...

[h1]http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/11/03/afflalo-talks-carmelo-trade-free-agency-more/[/h1]
[h1]Afflalo talks Carmelo trade, free agency, more[/h1]
Denver Nuggets | Comments

Arron Afflalo has become, improbably, a bit of a cause célèbre among NBA die-hards. In his four years in the league, Afflalo has averaged double figures in scoring just once (last season in Denver) and never put up a league-average Player Efficiency Rating. Even so, fans of every team with a need on the wing — and especially fans in Chicago — are clamoring for their club to make a run at Afflalo, who will be a restricted free agent once the league resumes business. A lot of Bulls fans preferred him when presented with a theoretical choice between signing him and trading for Golden State’s Monta Ellis, and I ranked Afflalo as the best wing free agent considering all factors — age, cost, potential and value.

Afflalo has already established himself as an elite three-and-D guy, and he showed signs last season that he might be ready to take on a bigger role as a secondary scorer and creator. He talked at length to SI.com about free agency, the Carmelo Anthony trade and his game.

SI.com: Are you aware how much die-hard NBA fans love your game? You didn’t play all that much in Detroit during your first two seasons, but after last season, a lot of fans want you to sign with their team.

Afflalo: [Laughing] Everyone has their path to success, man. Mine is just a little different. It’s just an expectation of mine to rise in the league, and to do it through hard work. I’m going to be a much better player — a complete player.

SI.com: The Nuggets have had a crazy offseason, with Nene about to be an unrestricted free agent and three different free agents (J.R. Smith, Kenyon Martin and Wilson Chandler) all in China. Do you want to stay in Denver?

Afflalo: The way I moved forward at first was that I just planned on returning to Denver. That was just my feel, because my role had grown so much last season from a leadership standpoint. I felt it was almost my team. I felt a sense of responsibility. But obviously as the offseason goes on and changes are made, you have to weigh your options. My gut at the end of the season was that I’d be back in Denver, but you have to keep your options open. And for me, it’s all about winning.

Spoiler [+]
SI.com: And the thing is, most of the teams set to have lots of cap room are not going to be contenders next season. The best teams are all going to be over the cap, meaning they might only be able to offer you the mid-level exception. Do you think you’re worth more than that? How do you weigh all the variables?
Afflalo: I’d hate to say what I think I’m worth and end up disrespecting someone who says I’m not worth that amount — or disrespecting myself by saying I’m only worth a certain amount. Do I feel I’m worth more than the mid-level? Of course. I know I’m going to continue to improve, and contracts don’t change once you sign them. So from that standpoint, of course you want to say you’re worth $8 million or $9 million, but as you said, when you look at where the contenders are sitting, you have to place a certain value on winning and the situation.

The bottom line is that if you’re a millionaire, you’re going to be fine.

SI.com: The Bulls could use some two-way punch at shooting guard. Have you thought about how you’d fit there?

Afflalo: Oh yeah, my agent [Sam Goldfeder] brought that up to me before the lockout. He definitely mentioned the Bulls as a dream that would be great for me based on fit.

SI.com: If there is a knock on your game at this point, it’s that you haven’t proved you can create your own shot consistently at the NBA level — whether it’s in isolation, on pick-and-rolls or whatever. If you look at the numbers, you haven’t used a very high percentage of your team’s possessions.

Afflalo: Yeah, my usage rate has been pretty low.

SI.com: Usage rate? You know the advanced stats, huh?

Afflalo: [Laughing] I’m a student of the game.

SI.com: Anyway — what about that criticism? It seemed to me last season, you showed a little more off the dribble, curling around screens, etc.

Afflalo: I was just kind of playing off of other guys for my entire career until they traded Carmelo and Chauncey [Billups], who tended to dominate the ball a little more. And that’s where I feel my growth is going to come — through opportunity. I haven’t quite gotten to show I can create, post up and be more of a playmaker for my teammates. It takes confidence in this league, but it also takes preparation and the chance to show that skill set. I have no doubts about my creative ability.

SI.com: Speaking of the Melo trade: It looked like you guys were having a ball after he left. You were so fun to watch.

Afflalo: It was really fun. We had so many weapons, and there was a good storyline behind it, with Melo leaving. We all just really wanted to win. If I am back in Denver, I hope we bring back as much of that group as possible. We just had a really team-oriented spirit.

SI.com: Some people will take that as saying it wasn’t as fun to play with Melo. Is that the case?

Afflalo: There’s two ways to look at it: Yes, he’s always going to be the focal point of the offense, and he’s a very aggressive player. But at the same time, he draws so much attention, and that opened up a lot of opportunities. I found myself open a lot. But when he left, I found more opportunities with the ball in my hands. And you also have to remember: Look at all the guys we got back for him, and that’s to his credit.

SI.com: You’ve talked about your creative abilities. What’s something in that area you think you’re already quite good at?

Afflalo: One of my strengths is my post-up ability. I work really well in the post, in terms of scoring myself or drawing a double team to create for others. But I definitely need to get better at running the pick-and-roll. I was a point guard in high school and I ran backup point guard in college, but as I got better at a scorer at UCLA, I got put off the ball more. And that’s where I ended up at first in the NBA. It’s not that I can’t create off the dribble or run the pick-and-roll; it’s just that I haven’t done it in years.

SI.com: There’s a fine line, though, right? You don’t necessarily want to take too big a role in your team’s offense, especially if you’re playing with someone like Derrick Rose.

Afflalo: The key is to be efficient. I’m just trying to figure out how much of my game I can put forth before it’s detrimental to my team. I’m still heading toward the direction of using more of myself, but I will never let it get to the point where I’m trying to be a star but my team is not winning.

And I felt last season that as I got better as an offensive player, there would at times be some slippage in the defensive intensity I’ve shown throughout my career. I didn’t like that. I want to get my conditioning and strength to where I can guard the other team’s best player the whole game and still score efficiently.

SI.com: You played small forward a lot in small lineups last season. Do you like that? Does it matter?

Afflalo: It’s irrelevant. George Karl says he just likes basketball players, and he’s just going to put five basketball players on the court. My ability to defend the “three

I like Afflalo, but every time he DOESN'T take that corner 3 and tries to do something else, it's a disaster. Literally, he got blocked at least 18 times by Ibaka in that series. His usage rate is right where it should be until he improves, better yet, develops some athleticism and game off the bounce

I like Afflalo, but every time he DOESN'T take that corner 3 and tries to do something else, it's a disaster. Literally, he got blocked at least 18 times by Ibaka in that series. His usage rate is right where it should be until he improves, better yet, develops some athleticism and game off the bounce

Jim Buss is gonna choke the life outta the Lakers over the next few years. I'm already prepared for the worse.

That NBA mix video made me kinda sad #imissthisgame.

Jim Buss is gonna choke the life outta the Lakers over the next few years. I'm already prepared for the worse.

That NBA mix video made me kinda sad #imissthisgame.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

Interesting read.

Maybe he'll prove us wrong. If it indeed happens like some of us think, it will be sad to see such a great franchise collapse. I think Bynum has arced too. He will never be a better player than he is now.

Dipset-
I agree with you 100%, Bron doesn't come close to Kobe in game or hairline. Bron's game is basically the same since he got to the L. He needs to develope a midrange jump shot & low post game either to score or use his passing ability. He should study Jamal Mashburn's game. I think Bron has concentrated more on building his brand & hanging out VIP style than becoming a better/skilled ball player...

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

Interesting read.

Maybe he'll prove us wrong. If it indeed happens like some of us think, it will be sad to see such a great franchise collapse. I think Bynum has arced too. He will never be a better player than he is now.

Dipset-
I agree with you 100%, Bron doesn't come close to Kobe in game or hairline. Bron's game is basically the same since he got to the L. He needs to develope a midrange jump shot & low post game either to score or use his passing ability. He should study Jamal Mashburn's game. I think Bron has concentrated more on building his brand & hanging out VIP style than becoming a better/skilled ball player...

Back
Top Bottom