OFFICIAL NBA TRADE DEADLINE THREAD UPDATE:SHAQ TO CAVS? McCANTS TO SAC/CHANDLER RETURNED TO SENDER

Sources: Suns put Stoudemire on trade block

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Perhaps signaling a willingness to dismantle their roster, the Phoenix Suns have begun exchanging trade proposals with teams for All-Star forward Amare Stoudemire, league executives told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

With dysfunction and dissension reigning within the Suns, rival front-office executives believe general manager Steve Kerr is determined to move Stoudemire and others before the Feb. 19 trade deadline.

While Stoudemire, 26, is the Suns' most valuable asset, sources say Kerr has told teams that he's willing to trade anyone on his roster except for point guard Steve Nash.

"Everyone is on the table but Nash," one executive said.

Phoenix owner Robert Sarver has been more reluctant to part with Stoudemire and still hasn't yet given his blessing to act on a Stoudemire proposal. Nevertheless, most believe that Sarver will inevitably do so.

While there will likely be some interest in a rejuvenated Shaquille O'Neal, it is Stoudemire, the enigmatic 6-foot-10, 250-pound forward, whom most NBA teams have an interest in acquiring.

If Kerr and assistant GM David Griffin do trade Stoudemire, a four-time All-Star, they want a combination of expiring contracts, a talented young player - preferably a forward - and draft picks. Stoudemire is expected to opt out of his contract for the historic free-agent summer of 2010. He makes $15 million this season and $16.3 million next season. His relationship with Suns management has steadily deteriorated and few expect that either side is interested in a contract extension.

Phoenix made the biggest move of the trade deadline a year ago, trading Shawn Marion for Shaquille O'Neal in a deal that the Suns believed could help them overtake the San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference. Yet, the Suns lost to the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs, which turned into a prelude to an acrimonious exit with coach Mike D'Antoni.

This season, Phoenix has struggled to a 26-21 record, which leaves them tied for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. The Suns were blown out Wednesday night in Golden State, 124-112.

With O'Neal clogging the middle, Stoudemire has expressed frustration with a diminished offensive role. Stoudemire still flusters his GM and coach because of an unwillingness to commit to anything but scoring. Stoudemire's scoring and rebounding averages have dropped this season, and he recently told Yahoo! Sports that he was struggling with an offense that features fewer pick-and-rolls for him, fewer touches in the low post.

"It is harder," Stoudemire said. "When you're in the flow, everything flows. When you're not, sometimes it's hard to get involved."

After the loss to Golden State, Stoudemire told reporters, "To keep losing these games the way we are, it's not fun. I'm not used to it. It's almost against my religion."

Sources believe the Suns are more apt to shop Stoudemire to the Eastern Conference, where Toronto and New York are natural possibilities. Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo drafted Stoudemire for the Suns, and Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni helped turn him into an All-Star. Still, the acrimonious nature of Colangelo's and D'Antoni's departures could lessen Phoenix management's willingness to deal with them.

Nevertheless, Phoenix promises once more be at the center of the league's biggest trade talks leading up to the deadline.

Whoa STAT on the trade block damn
eek.gif
eek.gif

good pickup by the magic.

bogans was taking up space on the bench with the emergence of courtney lee

Why would Nash be the only one not on the block? He's the oldest one after Shaq. I'd move him, imagine if they woulda called Orlando and offered Nashto them. Orlando woulda given them 1st rounders for life.
laugh.gif

The Suns crumbling before our very eyes.
pimp.gif

I dont know if Steve Kerr is calling the shots in Phoenix, but most of the decisions made under his watch have been questionnable to say the least.

If the Suns dont fire Terry Porter, they risk missing the playoffs. They're lucky that Utah have been crippled with injuries this season or else the Sunswould've been 3-4 GB of a playoff spot right now. Part of me wants to see the Suns finish 8th and play the Lakers in the 1st round
eek.gif

Expect Bryan Colangelo to make some deals in the next 2 weeks. Anyone interested in Jason Kapono or Jermaine O'Neal?
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I think David Lee and an expiring contract could do the deal. Giving up valuable expiring contracts isn't that bad because Amare's up in 2010 anyway,which is just as good for the Knicks.

I have NO idea why Nash would be the only one unavailable. I guess Amare really isn't getting along with the organization for them to not keep him.

"Part of me wants to see the Suns finish 8th and play the Lakers in the 1st round" What so Phx can be swept in 4 games?

STAT for Odom/Walton/Mihm and a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day.
laugh.gif

odom, bynum and pau for shaq, amare, nash because you need to match salaries and have the trade somewhat make sense...

i know these are pointless trades, but would be guaranteed rings this year, but stupid in the long run, because everyone except for stat would be super old....

then trade mihms expiring contract and something else for mike miller....

lakers
pg-nash
sg-kobe
sf-mike miller
pf-amare
c-shaq

6th man-ariza

eeeeekkkkk!!!!

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Of their big men, I think the Clippers would be better served getting rid of Chris Kaman because the combination of Marcus Camby and Zach Randolph works better. They can also get rid of Kaman's contract and develop Jordan behind Camby until the end of next season. By then, DeAndre Jordan could be a productive center (he's played well the last few weeks). As for Baron Davis, he doesn't fit in with the rest of the team and doesn't get along with Coach Dunleavy, so he should be shipped too.

QFT

You should be our next gm
happy.gif

curry+ lee for stat. make it happen donnie.
and the trave above me, i think its horible for the suns.

As for Amare...

What about Oklahoma City? They fit the mold of what Phoenix is supposedly looking for...

Desmond Mason and Chris Wilcox as expiring contracts... Jeff Green as the talented young forward... And they've accumulated LOADS of draft picks over thenext couple of seasons...

Back
Top Bottom