OFFICIAL NBA TRADE DEADLINE THREAD UPDATE:SHAQ TO CAVS? McCANTS TO SAC/CHANDLER RETURNED TO SENDER

Amare to the Kings...we have the pieces to make it happen. A supposed Suns insider on the realgm.com boards said Petrie called the Suns already. If what theywant is picks and expirings, we have Houston's 1st rounder and Bobby Jackson. If they want young talent, we can give them Donte Greene and one of Hawes orThompson. If they want someone to take Amare's spot at PF, we can offer Brad Miller. Of course I wouldn't offer all of the above, but some faircombination could plausibly get it done. Then we just need a legit PG and the real rebuilding process can begin.

Originally Posted by MarleysProtege

i read the first 3 thinking it was gonna change lol ... smh
laugh.gif
for real... i was thinking he had different tradescenarios since he posted it like 4 times

Originally Posted by Beats05

Amare to the Kings...we have the pieces to make it happen. A supposed Suns insider on the realgm.com boards said Petrie called the Suns already. If what they want is picks and expirings, we have Houston's 1st rounder and Bobby Jackson. If they want young talent, we can give them Donte Greene and one of Hawes or Thompson. If they want someone to take Amare's spot at PF, we can offer Brad Miller. Of course I wouldn't offer all of the above, but some fair combination could plausibly get it done. Then we just need a legit PG and the real rebuilding process can begin.

I doubt Amare would welcome a trade to the Kings. But then again, I don't think anyone thought Webb would sign with the Kings.

Amare doesn't have a no-trade clause or anything like that, and it seems as if the reason why he's on the block is because he's not on great termswith management, so it sounds like his opinion doesn't matter at all.

I was thinking the Kings earlier today too. OKC, Chi, and NY would be pretty awesome destinations.

Hawes/Thompson, Garcia, Shelden Williams, Bobby Jackson, and a pick for Amare Stoudemire and Alando Tucker/Gordan Dragic works under the trade machine. I woulddo that. One of the young bigs, a young guard that I think won't get much better, and a pick is worth Amare.

[h2]Trade talk: Who's staying, who's going?[/h2]
nba_g_stoudemire01_576.jpg
Ned Dishman/NBAE/Getty ImagesWhat would it take for the Suns to send All-Star Amare Stoudemire packing?

The NBA trading deadline, as of Thursday, is exactly two weeks away.

Which makes this an ideal time to pass along five fresh dribbles of trade chatter from discussions with team officials and player agents plugged into thefront-office grapevine:

1. Can we really expect an Amare Stoudemire trade in the next twoweeks?

Sources say it'll happen in-season only if the Suns can find a deal that delivers a mixture of top young talent and payroll relief. Which won't beeasy.

Two examples (stress examples) of what we're talking about: Stoudemire to Portland for Travis Outlaw, JerrydBayless, draft considerations and Raef LaFrentz's expiring contract is thefirst, based on the assumption that the Blazers will not be surrendering LaMarcusAldridge even for Stoudemire, followed by Stoudemire to Chicago for Joakim Noah,Tyrus Thomas, draft considerations and Drew Gooden's expiring contract.

We repeat: These are not known to be active trade discussions. Although things could certainly change as the deadline gets closer, sources withknowledge of the Blazers' thinking and the Bulls' thinking maintain that (A) Portland has been unwilling to include Bayless in any proposed deal thisseason and that (B) Chicago is growing increasingly reluctant to part with its best youngsters after some promising play since team chairman JerryReinsdorf's recent blast that the Bulls' first half was "a disaster."

Yet the Suns' phones figure to ring plenty as the deadline draws near, with Phoenix expected to consider any deal that doesn't involve Steve Nash as long as its roster and payroll objectives are met. The Suns have made it quiteclear that Nash is not available, as slammed home by Ric Bucher in the latest edition of ESPN The Magazine, but no longer does Stoudemire have the samelong-held status, reflecting the depths of the organization's frustration with the team's downward spiral since last season's humbling first-roundexit to San Antonio.

What's changed?

Last February's blockbuster deal for Shaquille O'Neal -- made in partbecause of the Suns' long-standing struggles to placate both Stoudemire and Marion -- has led to new tensions in the locker room after the promising signsseen late last season when Phoenix went on a 15-5 run before facing the Spurs in the playoffs and losing a heartbreaking Game 1 in double overtime. Findingroom in the offense this season for both O'Neal and Stoudemire has proved tougher than any of the Suns' old challenges … with the defense andversatility Marion used to give them having been subtracted.

Another big change is Stoudemire's standing locally. The Suns used to presume that their fans would revolt if the 26-year-old -- who has made arguablythe most convincing return from the dreaded microfracture knee surgery that this league has ever seen -- was traded away. That's no longer the case. Fanfrustration with Stoudemire is tangible in Phoenix for the first time.

So …

With the Suns skeptical that they can move O'Neal in spite of a resurgence that has earned the 36-year-old a spot in the All-Star Game to be played inPhoenix next weekend, they are seriously exploring the possibility of embarking on a significant shakeup by trading away Stoudemire. And it's believed thatStoudemire is not opposed to going elsewhere -- somewhere he can be the clear-cut face of the franchise -- even though sources close to the All-Star powerforward say that he has not asked to be moved.

984.jpg

2. A deal for Toronto's Jermaine O'Neal remains readilyavailable to the Miami Heat. The Sacramento Kings likewise would still love to send Brad Miller to Miami for Shawn Marion as long as they don't have to take back Marcus Banks, too. And word comes now that another matter for Miami to consider is theprospect of sending Marion to New Orleans for a package headlined by Tyson Chandler.
There have been no firm indications that such a swap is imminent, but it's a scenario mentioned more than once in the past week. And that's probablybecause acquiring Chandler would be consistent with Pat Riley's well-known preference to bring back proven size if he parts with Marion's $17.8 millionexpiring contract before the deadline.

The Heat, however, are just as determined not to take back contracts that extend past the 2009-10 season, which would seem to rule this out as apossibility, given that Chandler has a $13.2 million player option for 2010-11 that he is certain to exercise.

Is Chandler good enough for Riley to bend his 2010 policy? Would he sufficiently fill Miami's void inside and give Dwyane Wade more reason to re-sign with the Heat in the summer of 2010? Debatable.

There are cons for the Hornets, as well. Can they really part with a big man of Chandler's ability, given how little they have behind Chandler andDavid West, for a player who could leave them in free agency this summer?

Yet sources close to the situation refuse to rule out Chandler's departure. ChrisPaul and West, sources say, are the Hornets' only two untouchables.

Chandler is an elite defensive force at his best, but his dip in performance this season -- which began before the 26-year-old's recent ankle problem --is undeniable. Factor in New Orleans' own well-known desire to join the clutch of teams trying to slash payroll and its long-standing interest in acquiringan athletic wing man to partner with Paul and West, and you can see why Marion's name comes up.

Miami, meanwhile, continues to pursue Dallas' Josh Howard, in spite of MarkCuban's insistence that the Mavs won't do a Howard-for-Marion trade.

1705.jpg

3. I've heard multiple rumblings in the past month that Washington has made rugged forward Caron Butler available. But our research disputes that.
Teams are certainly inquiring about Butler, but sources with knowledge of the Wizards' thinking insist that it's a misstatement to say thatthey're shopping him.

You'd figure that a team mired at 10-39 would consider moving anyone on its roster. The Wiz, though, are telling teams that they'd expect alot in return for Butler, believing that they're poised for a jump back up the standings by keeping him and adding a high draft pick along with anew coach next season.

Such a stance obviously assumes that Gilbert Arenas can make something close to afull recovery from his three knee surgeries in an 18-month span. The Wiz contend that their situation is not nearly as bleak as it appears looking at theirrecord because they already know that they're going to be adding so much next season, but let's be blunt: How Arenas rebounds is bigger than anythingelse.

2429.jpg

4. Portland is naturally making calls to see what it can fetch with its LaFrentz chip, but it appears that there's a much betterchance that Kings swingman John Salmons will wind up with the Blazers -- who haveinquired about Salmons -- than that Chicago's Luol Deng will.
Deng is said to be one of Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard's all-time favorites, but sources say Deng's strong play over the past month-plusafter a slow start makes him the closest thing to prized rookie Derrick Rose onChicago's list of untouchables. (It's also true that dealing Deng before the summertime, even if Chicago wanted to, is difficult because ofbase-year-compensation restrictions.)

Gooden, Larry Hughes, maybe Thabo Sefolosha … those are the players Chicago is looking to move.

It appears that, in the Bulls' view, Noah, Thomas and Kirk Hinrich -- whosepresence since returning from a thumb injury has noticeably helped Rose -- are more valuable than they were when the season started. And let's face it:Chicago just isn't a trigger-pulling team, whether that's because of general manager John Paxson's reluctance or Reinsdorf's. Or both.

Trade scenarios involving Deng, Ben Gordon, Hinrich … we've been hearing themfor years. The Bulls might have the pieces to get into the Stoudemire bidding and would certainly appeal to the Suns as a trading partner because they'rein the East, but history says they won't.

883.jpg

5. San Antonio's desire to acquire one more big man (preferably a floor-stretching big man) to counter the Lakers and Boston is nosecret.

The surprise stems from the rumbles I've heard about Detroit free-agent-to-be Rasheed Wallace, he who is chief among the Pistons unsettled by the realization that bigchanges are undoubtedly coming in that locker room, having legit interest in joining the Spurs to team up with his 2005 NBA Finals nemesis Tim Duncan.

Don't see a real trade possibility here -- given that the Pistons are unlikely to take back anything other than expiring contracts for the expiringdeals possessed by Wallace and Allen Iverson unless they have a chance to trade forsomeone like Stoudemire or Chris Bosh -- but it's something to file away for freeagency.

Another note for the future on Iverson: Detroit is far more unlikely than likely to find a workable trade home for Iverson after the Pistons' strugglessince acquiring A.I. from Denver in the first week of the season, but I've heard multiple executives say there might be a better-than-expected market forthe 33-year-old in free agency this summer as long as his demands are not exorbitant.

"There's never been a time where we're all touched by the economy at the same time," said one exec, suggesting that Iverson will appeal toa few teams just because of his ability to sell tickets.

Man i dont know if i would take that chandler deal

I'd have to really think about that. When Beasley finally comes around Tyson is the kinda center you would need. But basically thats it for us. No 2010, ifwe take that deal.

Please do not let Sheed go to the Spurs.
smh.gif

Could you imagine a lineup of Duncan, Sheed, Bowen, Ginobili, and Parker in the 4th quarter?
sick.gif

I feel sick

Such a stance obviously assumes that Gilbert Arenas can make something close to a full recovery from his three knee surgeries in an 18-month span. The Wiz contend that their situation is not nearly as bleak as it appears looking at their record because they already know that they're going to be adding so much next season, but let's be blunt: How Arenas rebounds is bigger than anything else.

laugh.gif
The situation is bleak as ***$
roll.gif

they need to clean house. I would say keep Caron and try to move Jamison.

^ if pau gasol got traded for basically nothing, anything can happen. throw in a third team and what not.

Slim to none chance of happening but the Rockets have inquired about Amare.

Artest (expiring) and Scola or Landry.

I feel sorry for any team that tries to get Amary. She's terrible.
sick.gif

That said, IF, Amary were to go to the Thunder.......I might actually like that.

Westbrook
Durant
Green
Amary

135-130 every night. It would be 80's basketball all the time.
laugh.gif

Good thing the Suns got rid of Deng, Rondo, and Rudy. They sure didn't need any of those guys.
roll.gif

Chicago needs to do what it can for Amare... Only problem I have with Amare is his defense... but man he could be such a monster with Rose for years to come.

amare to chicago would be a nice deal...but they have nothing to offer them. hinrich is doing well with rose, tyrus is getting better and better. dengscontract is long and bad, what can they offer them? ben gordon?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by calibeebee

Stoudemire to Portland for Travis Outlaw, Jerryd Bayless, draft considerations and Raef LaFrentz's expiring contract is the first, based on the assumption that the Blazers will not be surrendering LaMarcus Aldridge even for Stoudemire
DO IT PRITCH!

Seriously I do that instantly. How high is Aldridge's ceiling anyway? I don't think he will ever be as good as Amare. Though I am slightlyworried about Steve Nash juicing Amare's stats.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by calibeebee

Stoudemire to Portland for Travis Outlaw, Jerryd Bayless, draft considerations and Raef LaFrentz's expiring contract is the first, based on the assumption that the Blazers will not be surrendering LaMarcus Aldridge even for Stoudemire
DO IT PRITCH!
Seriously I do that instantly. How high is Aldridge's ceiling anyway? I don't think he will ever be as good as Amare. Though I am slightly worried about Steve Nash juicing Amare's stats.

i dont think the real problem is aldridge...it's bayless and draft picks. portland has done an AMAZING job with their draft picks and thewhole rebuilding process. right now, what they really need is a point guard, and they want bayless to deveop into a point guard that can lead their teams tothe finals.

[h1]
[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports Feb 5, 1:51 pm EST

• Buzz up!
Perhaps signaling a willingness to dismantle their roster, the PhoenixSuns have begun exchanging trade proposals with teams for All-Star forward Amare Stoudemire, league executives told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.
With dysfunction and dissension reigning within the Suns, rival front-office executives believe general manager Steve Kerr is determined to move Stoudemireand others before the Feb. 19 trade deadline.

While Stoudemire, 26, is the Suns' most valuable asset, sources say Kerr has told teams that he's willing to trade anyone on his roster except forpoint guard Steve Nash.

"Everyone is on the table but Nash," one executive said.

Phoenix owner Robert Sarver has been more reluctant to part with Stoudemire and still hasn't yet given his blessing to act on a Stoudemire proposal.Nevertheless, most believe that Sarver will inevitably do so.

While there will likely be some interest in a rejuvenated ShaquilleO'Neal, it is Stoudemire, the enigmatic 6-foot-10, 250-pound forward, whom most NBA teams have an interest in acquiring.

If Kerr and assistant GM David Griffin do trade Stoudemire, a four-time All-Star, they want a combination of expiring contracts, a talented young player -preferably a forward - and draft picks. Stoudemire is expected to opt out of his contract for the historic free-agent summer of 2010. He makes $15 million thisseason and $16.3 million next season. His relationship with Suns management has steadily deteriorated and few expect that either side is interested in acontract extension.

Phoenix made the biggest move of the trade deadline a year ago, trading Shawn Marion for Shaquille O'Neal in a deal that the Suns believed couldhelp them overtake the San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference. Yet, the Suns lost to the Spurs inthe first round of the playoffs, which turned into a prelude to an acrimonious exit with coach Mike D'Antoni.

This season, Phoenix has struggled to a 26-21 record, which leaves them tied for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. The Suns were blown outWednesday night in Golden State, 124-112.

With O'Neal clogging the middle, Stoudemire has expressed frustration with a diminished offensive role. Stoudemire still flusters his GM and coachbecause of an unwillingness to commit to anything but scoring. Stoudemire's scoring and rebounding averages have dropped this season, and he recently toldYahoo! Sports that he was struggling with an offense that features fewer pick-and-rolls for him, fewer touches in the low post.

"It is harder," Stoudemire said. "When you're in the flow, everything flows. When you're not, sometimes it's hard to getinvolved."

After the loss to Golden State, Stoudemire told reporters, "To keep losing these games the way we are, it's not fun. I'm not used to it.It's almost against my religion."

Sources believe the Suns are more apt to shop Stoudemire to the Eastern Conference, where Toronto and New York are natural possibilities. Raptors GM BryanColangelo drafted Stoudemire for the Suns, and Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni helped turn him into an All-Star. Still, the acrimonious nature ofColangelo's and D'Antoni's departures could lessen Phoenix management's willingness to deal with them.

Nevertheless, Phoenix promises once more to be at the center of the league's biggest trade talks leading up to the deadline.

Sources: Suns shopping Stoudemire
The one-year anniversary of the ShaquilleO'Neal trade was a busy day on the phones for the Phoenix Suns.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that the Suns on Friday entered into preliminary discussions with numerous teams on possible trade scenarios, mostlyfeaturing All-Star forward AmareStoudemire but also a few involving O'Neal as the franchise embarks on a potentially radical makeover just 12 months removed fromO'Neal's arrival on Feb. 6, 2008.

Although sources close to the situation insist that no deal is imminent, there is a growing belief around the league that the Suns will almost certainly moveat least one of their big names before the league's Feb. 19 trading deadline, with Stoudemire sounding as though he expects to be the next to leave incomments Friday to reporters in Phoenix.
[h4]Possible Amare partners[/h4]
ford_chad_m.jpg

Who would want to take All-Stars Amare Stoudemire and Shaquille O'Neal off the Suns' hands? Chad Ford explores the scenarios, asks Chad Ford. Story

The Arizona Republic, in a story posted Friday on its Web site, quoted Stoudemire as saying: "I know for sure, wherever I go, we're going todefinitely be playoff contenders. I bring a lot to the table."

Sources told ESPN.com that the Chicago Bulls,Miami Heat, Detroit Pistons and Portland Trail Blazers are among the many teams with whomPhoenix has exchanged trade concepts, with the Bulls and Heat believed to be pursuing Stoudemire hardest at this early stage.

Almost every team in the league has some degree of interest in Stoudemire, but sources close to the process maintain that the Suns will only part with the26-year-old in a deal that delivers at least one decent-sized expiring contract along with younger talent and/or draft considerations.

ESPN.com's Chad Ford reported Friday night that, according to one rival GM, Phoenix hopes to clear up to $40 million from its 2009-10 payroll before thetrading deadline. Given the Suns' long-held stance that two-time MVP Steve Nash is an untouchable, they can only slice that much money off the club's books by moving Stoudemire andO'Neal, both of whom possess contracts which run through the '09-10 season.

Yet it's widely presumed that trading Stoudemire will be far easier than re-routing O'Neal, in spite of a personal return to fitness and statisticalresurgence that has earned the 36-year-old a spot in the All-Star Game to be played in Phoenix next week, courtesy of the West coaches who voted him in.

Stoudemire used to share Nash's "untouchable status," but the Suns have mostly been fading since losing a heartbreaking Game 1 of lastspring's first-round series with San Antonio in double overtime. Phoenix went into the playoffs on a 15-5 run -- with O'Neal starting to have the sortof impact Phoenix had hoped for when it broke up a one-of-a-kind running team by dealing Shawn Marion to Miami to get the center with four championship rings -- but never recovered from thedevastating defeat and lost to the Spurs in five games.

That was followed by the acrimonious departure of coach Mike D'Antoni, whose teams averaged 58 wins over four seasons after he hooked up with Nash startingin 2004-05. Team president Steve Kerrchose former teammate Terry Porter toreplace D'Antoni, but the Suns have slid to a humbling ninth in the Western Conference despite Friday's 115-105 victory over Golden State at home,which has apparently convinced Suns' management that it's time to enter into a more aggressive rebuilding program.

The original trade for O'Neal was made in part because of the Suns' long-standing struggles to placate both Stoudemire and Marion. This season, though,finding room in the offense for both O'Neal and Stoudemire has proved tougher than any of the Suns' former locker-room challenges, with the defense andversatility Marion used to give them having been subtracted.

Another big change is Stoudemire's standing locally. It was long believed Suns fans would protest vehemently if Stoudemire -- who has made perhaps the mostconvincing return from the dreaded microfracture knee surgery that this league has ever seen -- was traded away. That's no longer the case. Fan frustrationwith Stoudemire is tangible in Phoenix for the first time.

Nash, meanwhile, told ESPN.com this week that this has "been the toughest year of my career."

"By far," Nash said.

Speaking to reporters Friday in Phoenix, Nash added: "I love playing here. I want to see it work out here. I apologize to the fans that it's been atough year. It's killing me, and I'm sure it's really hurting the fans. I want to see a positive outcome and a resolution to the trouble."

After meeting privately with Stoudemire, Kerr acknowledged that the Suns have been taking "a lot of calls" on Stoudemire and told local reporters:"We're not playing to our capabilities, so that's the way it goes when that happens. I think we can still be good this year, but we also have tomake sure we can sustain our success. The last five years, we've made a concerted effort to keep our talent around. We've built up a really bigpayroll. We've traded some first-round picks [to do that], some young assets, so we've got to keep that in mind, too."

Responding to Stoudemire's claim that he has been blamed excessively for the Suns' struggles, Porter said: "To whom much is given, much isexpected."

Yet Porter is also fielding questions about his job security, not even halfway through his tension-filled first season in Phoenix.

During an interview for ESPN's broadcast of the Suns-Warriors game, Porter said: "The biggest thing is just we're working every day to try to getthis team better. So I haven't had any conversations with Robert or Steve to the point where they've said we're not satisfied with what you'vedone."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Potential trades for Amare[/h2]
chi.gif

BULLS: Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, Cedric Simmons and Drew Gooden

http://games.espn.go.com/...s=21~21~21~21~4&te=&cash=','Popup','width=780,height=565,scrollbars,noresize'); return false;">See this trade in the ESPN Trade Machine
Why they'd do it: For the Bulls, this is likely a no-brainer. They've needed a frontcourt presence like Amare for years. Although he's not the classic low-post banger or rebounder that would be ideal for Chicago, he's great in the open floor and looks like a perfect complement to Derrick Rose and Luol Deng.
For the Suns, this trade would save them nearly $9 million next season and give them two young players with potential. Although neither Thomas nor Sefolosha has shined the way the Bulls had envisoned when they drafted them, their defensive abilities and athleticism would be welcome in Phoenix.

Why they wouldn't: Coach Vinny Del Negro spent several years in the Phoenix front office before taking the job in Chicago. He knows Amare and might be steering GM John Paxson away from acquiring him.

This deal wouldn't give the Suns much in the way of cap savings. They might want to deal with a team that can save them more money down the road.

nyk.gif

KNICKS: David Lee, Nate Robinson and Stephon Marbury
http://games.espn.go.com/...=21~21~21~18~18&te=&cash=','Popup','width=780,height=565,scrollbars,noresize'); return false;">See this trade in the ESPN Trade Machine
Why they'd do it: The Knicks want to lure LeBron to New York and have planned on trying to add two superstars in the summer of 2010. If they can get one now … why not do it? Adding Stoudemire to the mix would electrify the fan base in New York, and you know Mike D'Antoni knows how to get the best out of Amare. To make this deal work under the cap, the Suns would have to include Barbosa. But no worries, the Knicks need guards, too.

Lee is the type of player Kerr is looking for. He rebounds, plays defense, hustles on every play and is still young. Obviously, the Suns would waive Marbury quickly to end his second stop in Phoenix and be able to drop $10-12 million in payroll next summer.

Why they wouldn't: If the Knicks add Barbosa and Stoudemire, they would have room to pursue LeBron in the summer of 2010 but no one else. Are they really ready to put all their eggs in that one basket?

As for the Suns, if money is the main issue, will they be able to keep Lee and Robinson? Both are restricted free agents this summer, and Lee, especially, likely will command a rich deal … perhaps too rich for Sarver's wallet.

mia.gif

HEAT: Michael Beasley and Shawn Marion
http://games.espn.go.com/...=21~21~14~14~14&te=&cash=','Popup','width=780,height=565,scrollbars,noresize'); return false;">See this trade in the ESPN Trade Machine
Why they'd do it: It sounds strange to hear of the Heat potentially doing a second-straight trade deadline deal with Phoenix, especially since it involves sending Marion back to the Suns, but this time Miami would get what it really wants, a young big to pair with Dwyane Wade. Wade and Stoudemire would be probably the most athletic tandem in the league and great cornerstones for the franchise.

The Suns could let Marion's large contract expire, then try out Beasley in Stoudemire's place. Beasley is an incredible talent and probably the best prospect they could get for Stoudemire.

Why they wouldn't: It's hard to see what would stop the Heat from pulling the trigger. The deal would almost be too good to be true. The biggest downside is that the Heat would have to take back Alando Tucker and Goran Dragic to make the salaries work.

For the Suns, it's not a bad deal if Beasley's as good as everyone thought he was coming out of college.

okc.gif

THUNDER: Jeff Green, Joe Smith and Desmond Mason

http://games.espn.go.com/...ams=21~21~21~25&te=&cash=','Popup','width=780,height=565,scrollbars,noresize'); return false;">See this trade in the ESPN Trade Machine
Why they'd do it: The Thunder have been methodically collecting assets and expiring contracts. But even though Oklahoma City will have lots of cap room this summer, will anyone want to go there?
Adding Stoudemire to the mix would immediately jump-start the fledgling franchise. The potential of a core of Stoudemire, Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook would be, in a word, awesome.

Green would be the draw for Phoenix. Although not everyone in the league is in love with Green, but after Beasley, Green might be the best young player the Suns could get in a Stoudemire trade. And the expiring contracts of Smith and Mason would allow the Suns to clear another $10 million off their cap this summer.

Why they wouldn't: The Thunder would struggle to re-sign Stoudemire in 2010, especially if they weren't a contender by then. If a big-market team such as the Knicks or Heat came courting, OKC could lose him for nothing, setting back the franchise.

The Suns like Green, but is he enough? He's been frustratingly inconsistent and just doesn't look like the type of player you can build around.

det.gif

PISTONS: Amir Johnson and Rasheed Wallace

http://games.espn.go.com/...7&teams=21~21~8&te=&cash=','Popup','width=780,height=565,scrollbars,noresize'); return false;">See this trade in the ESPN Trade Machine
Why they'd do it: Joe Dumars has the best track record in the league of rehabilitating players other teams have given up on. Under his wing, Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace thrived. Could he do the same for Stoudemire? Add Amare to young gun Rodney Stuckey and great team players such as Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince, and the Pistons are a force again in the East.
The Suns get Wallace's expiring contract, plus they get Johnson, a young big with a ton of potential.

Why they wouldn't: If they stand pat, the Pistons potentially will have $20 million under the cap this summer with little competition for big-time free agents. If Amare were to bolt Detroit in 2010 or fail to fit in, the Pistons would have swung and missed on their best chance to build another contender.

The Suns wouldn't be getting much here. Wallace comes off the books this summer, but is Johnson good enough to be a difference-maker? He's been a little ordinary in Detroit this year, raising the question, how much longer can we focus on his "potential" and wait for it to be realized?

cle.gif

CAVS: J.J. Hickson and Wally Szczerbiak

http://games.espn.go.com/...7&teams=21~21~5&te=&cash=','Popup','width=780,height=565,scrollbars,noresize'); return false;">See this trade in the ESPN Trade Machine
Why they'd do it: The Cavs have been trying to land another star in Cleveland to play alongside LeBron James. Stoudemire would be a grand slam for them.
The Suns would get back $13 million in cap relief and land a young power forward many NBA scouts are very high on. Hickson hasn't done much yet, but many scouts see him as a potential star big man.

Why they wouldn't: Coach Mike Brown is committed to defense. Amare isn't. I wonder how that would work out.

The Suns wouldn't be getting a sure thing in exchange for Stoudemire. As desperate as they might be to turn the team around, are they really that desperate?

mem.gif

GRIZZLIES: Mike Conley, Hakim Warrick and Darko Milicic

http://games.espn.go.com/...ams=21~21~21~29&te=&cash=','Popup','width=780,height=565,scrollbars,noresize'); return false;">See this trade in the ESPN Trade Machine
Why they'd do it: The Grizzlies desperately need a power forward to pair with Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo. Stoudemire would give them three of the best young players in the league and bring real hope to Memphis.
The Suns would come away with some talent, although they would undoubtedly try to get the Grizzlies to put Gay in the deal. Conley could be the eventual heir to Steve Nash at the point, Warrick is a solid role player and Milicic can block shots and rebound when he's healthy.

Why they wouldn't: It's hard to imagine Memphis re-signing Stoudemire in the summer of 2010, given its reputation for being reluctant to spend. So trading Conley, Warrick and Milicic is one thing; gambling Gay to rent Stoudemire for a season and a half is a risk the Grizzlies are unlikely to take.

The Suns, meanwhile, want salary-cap relief as part of a return package for Stoudemire and this deal offers the least of any listed here. Only Warrick's contract comes off the books this summer.

[h2]Potential trades for Shaq[/h2]
lal.gif

LAKERS: Lamar Odom, Chris Mihm and .J. Mbenga
http://games.espn.go.com/...ams=21~21~21~13&te=&cash=','Popup','width=780,height=565,scrollbars,noresize'); return false;">See this trade in the ESPN Trade Machine
Why they'd do it: Yes, the breakup between the Lakers and Shaq was messy. But Phil Jackson has always loved Shaq, and with Andrew Bynum out for a while, L.A. could use someone who could step in and play immediately in the middle. Besides, it would be the best story of the year.

The Suns need cap space, and this deal would save them a whopping $21 million next year after all the expiring contracts in the deal come off the books

Why they wouldn't: The Shaq-Kobe dynamic could capsize the season, especially if their interpersonal drama is re-ignited. Whenever Bynum returns from being injured, there would be a serious logjam in the middle.

And things are going pretty well for the Lakers. Do they need to make this drastic a move?

There would be no downside for the Suns. In fact, I think they'll move Shaq to any team that can give them cap space -- even the Lakers. And yes, this is an admission that, on second thought, that Shaq deal wasn't such a great move.

dal.gif

MAVERICKS: Jason Kidd
http://games.espn.go.com/...~614&teams=21~6&te=&cash=','Popup','width=780,height=565,scrollbars,noresize'); return false;">See this trade in the ESPN Trade Machine
Why they'd do it: The Mavs want to be relevant again, and adding Shaq in the middle could help. He's having an All-Star year, and the Mavs can surround him with shooters. Although Kidd has played well, he's not the player he was, and Jason Terry could take over in his stead.

The Suns would be getting $21 million of cap room. And how would they handle the awkward situation of having both Kidd and Nash again? Probably by waiving Kidd.

Why they wouldn't: Mark Cuban's pockets aren't as deep as they used to be. Adding Shaq would cost him roughly $40 million next year after factoring in the luxury tax hit. That's a lot of cash.

Juice, Rudy and Amare would be a disaster
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom