Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

These are my fav 996's, the GL's. As far as predominant grey's go.

The GY's are timeless though. Can't go wrong.

Heads up for those interested. 996 in the OG grey drop Friday at Holabird Sports for $115. Sorry if previously posted.

My New Balance grail. Can never have enough.
good lookin out. i think i might pick these up for the first time.

Those 4 "Japan" 580s are up at Livestock in Canada.

new-balance-mrt-580-japan-pack.jpg

http://deadstock.ca/search.php?mode=search&page=1

I have no idea. I'm a 9.5 in everything but in New Balance I'm 8.5.
that's so confusing though. Is it different for all new balance? I'm starting to like these but the sizing is killing me. How can a shoe made in america mess up the sizing that's nuts..

If you guys have been solely Nike shoe guys and now are trying other brands you'll start to quickly realize the swoosh has had you guys off from the sizing of the rest of the world and your own true measured sizes lol.

that's so confusing though. Is it different for all new balance? I'm starting to like these but the sizing is killing me. How can a shoe made in america mess up the sizing that's nuts..

Not sure about all NB. It's basically like buying Chuck Taylor's though IMO. Gotta go a whole size down.

Not true.

Everyone's foot is different, fat, skinny, wide, etc.

I personally wear a 12 in EVERYTHING.

Jordan's
Runners
Airmaxes
Flyknits
NBs
Sauconys
Asics
Etc....

You just have to try it on.

Nike's the only brand that over the past 10 years I can fit an 8 - 10... it's completely ridiculous. They're notorious for running .5 size smaller then most shoes so you half up. Although with some models they're way narrow and tight even for a normal foot. I've got about 12 pairs of SB Dunks and the sizes vary from 8-10 throughout. Every other brand other than casual sneakers and dress sneakers, I can go TTS or half up or down. But it's true, if you're more wide footed you can enjoy NB's more then most Nike's. The closest Nike's compared to NB's or runners in sizes I've found are AF1's. Although the latest Jordan Retro's are coming out more TTS... most people are claiming they're 'running big' they're just sizing properly compared to earlier OG's. Hyperfuse materials you can go TTS, leather's, suedes, certain canvases can vary but they'll give over time. Then you gotta figure a lot of people like their shoes to fit differently, some love it snug, some love toe wiggle some stuff insoles, or ridiculous things to prevent creasing... NB's are pretty consistent for most models with some variances in the CM's vs. USA/UK.

Last edited:
I don't know I noticed that they do look and feel bigger. I just hit up a local spot for a size 8. I just sold 8.5 that easy... lol hope these 8 do better

Nike's the only brand that over the past 10 years I can fit an 8 - 10... it's completely ridiculous. They're notorious for running .5 size smaller then most shoes so you half up. Although with some models they're way narrow and tight even for a normal foot. I've got about 12 pairs of SB Dunks and the sizes vary from 8-10 throughout. Every other brand other than casual sneakers and dress sneakers, I can go TTS or half up or down. But it's true, if you're more wide footed you can enjoy NB's more then most Nike's. The closest Nike's compared to NB's or runners in sizes I've found are AF1's. Although the latest Jordan Retro's are coming out more TTS... most people are claiming they're 'running big' they're just sizing properly compared to earlier OG's. Hyperfuse materials you can go TTS, leather's, suedes, certain canvases can vary but they'll give over time. Then you gotta figure a lot of people like their shoes to fit differently, some love it snug, some love toe wiggle some stuff insoles, or ridiculous things to prevent creasing... NB's are pretty consistent for most models with some variances in the CM's vs. USA/UK.
I don't know man. Jordan, air max 1, air max 90, sb's all fit the same for me 8.5.. same goes with reeboks, adidas, or any skating shoes. I thought these 997s fit me good at first then I realized that they were pretty damn long and a bit loose. So when I got home and compared them to my air max 1, jordans even reeboks.. The new balance are a tad bit longer. Man, you guys weren't joking. Go half size down. To each his own though. I like my shoes comfy

I don't know man. Jordan, air max 1, air max 90, sb's all fit the same for me 8.5.. same goes with reeboks, adidas, or any skating shoes. I thought these 997s fit me good at first then I realized that they were pretty damn long and a bit loose. So when I got home and compared them to my air max 1, jordans even reeboks.. The new balance are a tad bit longer. Man, you guys weren't joking. Go half size down. To each his own though. I like my shoes comfy
I can go my TTS across the board too, length isn't usually an issue for fit, but comfort as far as width, the top of your foot in the shoe, all those factors play in. There's a handful of SB's, not sure if you have them, like the 510's or the Civilist, or those Nylon Mids from last year... you can shove your foot into your Nike TTS but it's gonna be an uncomfortable time wearing those and blister city due to the materials. Old dunks, AF1's, you'll swim in them if you go with your AM1/AM90 sizes etc... With NB's and most runners I've ran across I can stay TTS (.5 down from my Nike sizes) and be fine, some might be a thumbnail length longer, but it's more then wearable and not worth the possible width contrains if you size half down.  I've never encountered a pair where if I stayed TTS it was too small, running big as in long as you mentioned, is more of an issue at times like some of those 577's of last year. Once you figure out your sweet spot for NB's in the model you have, you can gauge it for most of the other models, because let's be realistic, it's hard to try on some of the releases we can only get online in stores in person to see how they fit, but you'll be safe with that size for the most part.

These aren't it, but pretty close aside from materials and 170 less...

http://www.endclothing.com/brands/new-balance/new-balance-mrl996ar.html

and if you gotta have the leather, but willing to step to a 576

http://www.endclothing.com/brands/new-balance/new-balance-m576red-made-in-the-uk.html

Otherwise you're looking at the Bay and some high prices if you want it now since they dropped only in JP last month.

Last edited:
check my sig for a sizing chart, and honestly nike sizing is way worse. I enjoy new balance sizing as it varies by model and really allows you to buy a shoe depending on the fit that you want for a certain shoe. I rather take  a made in america pair than those trash chinese made nikes

this is why you buy 2 pairs and return whichever doesnt fit :wink: its a hassle, but its better than buying one at a time if you dont have the opportunity to try the shoe on. regardless of the size chart, everyone's foot is different, as mentioned, so the suggestions might not perfectly cater to you. keep that in mind.

I can go my TTS across the board too, length isn't usually an issue for fit, but comfort as far as width, the top of your foot in the shoe, all those factors play in. There's a handful of SB's, not sure if you have them, like the 510's or the Civilist, or those Nylon Mids from last year... you can shove your foot into your Nike TTS but it's gonna be an uncomfortable time wearing those and blister city due to the materials. Old dunks, AF1's, you'll swim in them if you go with your AM1/AM90 sizes etc... With NB's and most runners I've ran across I can stay TTS (.5 down from my Nike sizes) and be fine, some might be a thumbnail length longer, but it's more then wearable and not worth the possible width contrains if you size half down.  I've never encountered a pair where if I stayed TTS it was too small, running big as in long as you mentioned, is more of an issue at times like some of those 577's of last year. Once you figure out your sweet spot for NB's in the model you have, you can gauge it for most of the other models, because let's be realistic, it's hard to try on some of the releases we can only get online in stores in person to see how they fit, but you'll be safe with that size for the most part.
word bro.. I just sold the 8.5 on ebay. Switched to size 8... I just got to wait til they come. Hopefully they fit good. Kind of nervous that they won't. :/ everyone I've talked to on here, youtube, and other forums said the same thing .5 down. So I'm hoping these cone through. I'm starting to like new balance over other shoes. Just the sizing through me off hard

^ yea me too, I'm also a 8.5er lol and I own pigeons 575s,997,998,1500 all in sz 8.5 and the 997s are the ones that fit a little on the bigger side but what helps is that I rock all my shoes with sneaker shields so with new balances running a little bigger than nikes helps me not feel the shields at all with the little extra room

Back
Top Bottom