Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

So many inconsistencies with everyone's ideas on sizing. To me, 998s fit looser than 997s, but I rock the same size in both. I agree with whoever said they're the same length, but the 998 runs wider.

Yeah for me 997's are more TTS. I can go TTS, but try to half size down in 998's

Newest pickups for 184 total couldn't choose so bought both

So many inconsistencies with everyone's ideas on sizing. To me, 998s fit looser than 997s, but I rock the same size in both. I agree with whoever said they're the same length, but the 998 runs wider.
I couldn't agree more with this.

Discussions on 'sizing' are near useless - everyone's foot is different and everyone defines 'TTS' differently.

I notice most NTers would naturally define a common Nike (i.e. Air Maxes, Dunks and some Jordans) as TTS -- but Nike tends to fit narrow compared to Adidas/NB/Saucony/etc. (ask anyone that works at a shoe store) -- so most people use a narrow fit as a baseline.

Some people like a snug fit (especially on runners) and some rock Jordans/Dunks barely laced -- so their 'TTS' can be different.

The other problem is that some people have wide feet -- so a shoe might be long enough, but they would upsize for width.  Same problem with those with hammer toes, narrow feet, big/small insteps.

Materials is another problem -- a Goretex 580 will probably feel smaller than a suede/leather 580 because there's no stretch.  For example, it's well known with SB guys that canvas dunks fit smaller in the toe than everything else (no one really knows why) -- and SBs vary by date of production too (they have been getting tighter over the years with the new tooling).

Place of production is another problem -- for example, made in US 574s are longer than made in Asia 574s in my experience.

I know most of us don't really get a chance to try on for size due to limited release and online shopping.  Best suggestion I have is to try shoes on for size in store -- even if in a different CW, just to get an idea.  Ideally, it would be made in the same country, same materials and in the same production timeframe.

Or -- if you must: something like "I wear a 9.5 in 997DBR and it's snug on my wide foot, what size should I wear for 998?" is better than "How does sizing in 998s work?".  But always take advice with a grain of salt.

... end of rant. 
smokin.gif

About the size rant, I agree with all of it.
The thing that sucks about my city is that you can't find USA made NB's other than 993. But through trial and error have figured out my size.

I'm sure others have this problem too.

We just had these at my local outlet in clearance for 44.99 but didnt have my size. So mad cause that green is lovely and I would have gotten them for 26 bucks with my discount. I did cop the black pair that was in the pack not as nice as this colorway but I use em for simple fits. Not a lot of love for the 990v1 these days but I think its a really underrated shoe, only complaint is how the tongue sits sometimes since its so thin. 

Any us9 for that steal?

Yeah I measure my tts by the brannock scale. 8.5 on brannock and I wear 8.5 for 997/998/577 made in us/uk. But I got narrow/flat feet so...

We just had these at my local outlet in clearance for 44.99 but didnt have my size. So mad cause that green is lovely and I would have gotten them for 26 bucks with my discount. I did cop the black pair that was in the pack not as nice as this colorway but I use em for simple fits. Not a lot of love for the 990v1 these days but I think its a really underrated shoe, only complaint is how the tongue sits sometimes since its so thin. 
Any us9 for that steal?
There all gone by now man they didn't last that long at that 45 dollar price point. Unless you live in GA you would have to check your local NB outlet cause they dont do phone orders or ship.

998 creation for today
these are DIVINE. totally feeling stupid for not making a persian purple pair. gawddamn NB needs to fix the colors online and how they'd look like in the actual pair. im guessing the base N logo is aruba? mesh is rain cloud ? cheers man. really clean pair im jelly af

Please post some pics of the Poor Man's Tassies when you get them in... funny thing, I have these Struggle Tassies saved a couple days ago:

Man -- if only Persian Purple (looked like slate blue on my screen, but looks more like lilac in the pic above) was available with that Asteroid (eggplant).......

Back
Top Bottom