Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

996 came out in 1988 and the 997 in 1990-91. the midsole on the 99X line was completely retooled with the 997. the 996 is sort of the last old school 99X and the 997 the first new school one. 997 has crazy arch support but the 996 might be the most comfortable nb they're like wearing slippers

cool video.  it's interesting the OG 997/998's look like the fakes on ebay.  lol

996 came out in 1988 and the 997 in 1990-91. the midsole on the 99X line was completely retooled with the 997. the 996 is sort of the last old school 99X and the 997 the first new school one. 997 has crazy arch support but the 996 might be the most comfortable nb they're like wearing slippers

I've never understood how the 999 ended up in the 99X family, seems like it should have been a 581 or in a family with the 580. Not sure when the 580 debuted though.

cool video.  it's interesting the OG 997/998's look like the fakes on ebay.  lol

LOL, I lost it when I saw the OG 998.

Last edited:
Anyone who looks closely can clearly see that the suede is synthetic since real Suede has that buttery look and shine to it. When I see stuff like this from a seller who has 700+ positive feedback it makes me question everything else I see on the Bay from reputable sellers lol. 

It depends on the product they sell. Some can sell tons of 99 cent items and get fb real quick. Always check for fb that relates to the category you're buying. I think it's sus when I see a seller with lots of low grade items and then some shoes.

I've never understood how the 999 ended up in the 99X family, seems like it should have been a 581 or in a family with the 580. Not sure when the 580 debuted though.
yeah 999 and mt580 have similar midsoles. the 999 came out in 1996 and i think the 580 was also mid-90s. 

"The 997 was a headfirst leap into the 90s. In an era where footwear was defined by the technology it boasted, New Balance upped the ante, delivering a radical new aesthetic for the 99X range. Whereas the 996 had seen out the 80s by refining the 995, the 997 brought saw-tooth insteps and a thermoplastic Hytrel Strap system for midfoot lock. More importantly, the 997 fused C-Cap within the ENCAP sole unit, making a clear progression from the ‘sandwich’ construction used previously in the 996. Comfort was ramped up with a triple density innersole, while the outsole copped a coating of XAR-1000 rubber to enhance grip. As usual New Balance preferred not to shout, so the whole thing was decked out in grey-on-grey pigskin suede which became the shoe’s signature scheme."

http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/articles/new-balance-welcome-back-the-classic-997/​

Last edited:
http://sneakernews.com/2016/01/19/new-balance-release-football-pack-inspired-80s/

Instat Cop, been wanting a pair of 1500s bad.

new-balance-1500-football-pack-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just got in the pair of 997DSLR I bought on the cheap from the END sale. The quality of the toebox, the suede, and the construction is really bad.

I hate to say it, but these might be my last pair of NBs. (at least for new models)

No thanks, I love my Grenson shoes but this pair is just ugly to me.

Last edited:
New release, M990CERI and M996CFIS.

On the same store site they are selling the Explore by Sea M998CSEF and M998CSAM for $120 respectively. I just bought them from Rise at that price but had to pay $22 in shipping to CA. Renarts has free shipping, so I could have saved 22, oh well.

998s don't feel flat like a 996 they have more of an arch. 997 is slightly flatter i'd say. 998 are not the best 99x for flat feet but they are still more comfortable to me than most asics or adidas. saucony is good for flat feet

Back
Top Bottom