Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Info like was it an extremely limited release and how's the quality in hand if anyone owns them
I believe they’ve just come out, overseas only so far as I’ve seen. I don’t think they’ll be limited and would assume they’ll be available in US soon. Hopefully I can tell ya about the quality soon

20190130_154123~2.jpg
20190130_154527~2.jpg

I'm not sure why everyone is excited about the 997 coming to NB1. This will effectively kill the 997 just like NB killed the 998 with the program. We all know that there are legends in this forum who have executed better color ways through the program than boutiques have. In my mind this renders all future 997 collabs as worthless just like 998s have become.

This is the signature retro shoe for NB. Not a fan of seeing it pimped out with cheap materials and shoddy QC (i.e. 997H) as well as seeing it come to the NB1 program. Smells like a cash grab rather than the brand's commitment to quality craftsmanship.

I'm not sure why everyone is excited about the 997 coming to NB1. This will effectively kill the 997 just like NB killed the 998 with the program. We all know that there are legends in this forum who have executed better color ways through the program than boutiques have. In my mind this renders all future 997 collabs as worthless just like 998s have become.

This is the signature retro shoe for NB. Not a fan of seeing it pimped out with cheap materials and shoddy QC (i.e. 997H) as well as seeing it come to the NB1 program. Smells like a cash grab rather than the brand's commitment to quality craftsmanship.
spot on assumption. 1000% agree with you.

I don’t know if it was NB not allowing boutiques or shops or whatever to do anything else other than what was allowed for the 998 or the shops not going for it. I think they can still do collabs, but they just have to do better with materials and color ways rather just being a lazy effort. If that makes sense

I've wanted a custom 997 option for years, so i'm on board with this. I've made a few NB1 pairs over the years, so the ability to make something better than what the boutiques are giving us is OK by me. single-tone boutique color ways are fine, but I want to be able to do some interesting color blocking with it. This will show that we can all be shoe colorists on Ronnie's level.

Also, them taking away the 998 from NB1 was the best thing they could do for it. Like Moshe said, NB1 killed the 998, but once you take something away, you appreciate it more till they eventually bring it back.

Hoping the NB1 V4 is next to replace the v3 once the most hated v5 drops in a couple of weeks.

I've wanted a custom 997 option for years, so i'm on board with this. I've made a few NB1 pairs over the years, so the ability to make something better than what the boutiques are giving us is OK by me. single-tone boutique color ways are fine, but I want to be able to do some interesting color blocking with it. This will show that we can all be shoe colorists on Ronnie's level.

Also, them taking away the 998 from NB1 was the best thing they could do for it. Like Moshe said, NB1 killed the 998, but once you take something away, you appreciate it more till they eventually bring it back.

Hoping the NB1 V4 is next to replace the v3 once the most hated v5 drops in a couple of weeks.

feelmeguilty feelmeguilty if they introduce the V4 to the NB1 program I may be even more peeved than this move, lol.

I don’t know if it was NB not allowing boutiques or shops or whatever to do anything else other than what was allowed for the 998 or the shops not going for it. I think they can still do collabs, but they just have to do better with materials and color ways rather just being a lazy effort. If that makes sense

Pretty sure it was NB simply telling the shops "here, you can design your own 998 using our NB1 program." Straight up lazy. I'm still surprised dudes fell for those Concepts "collabs" last year (the mallard ducks) - those were 100% an NB1 that they marketed as being a super limited run of shoes. Same with those Todd Snyder collabs. The Parliamentary 998s. They would have all been cool collabs and color ways had they not been available at significant discounted prices through NB1.

I'll say it again and again that dudes like @vidiviciun and remy remy and other legends in here (where are you my.koh) slayed the NB1 program in all the best ways and made these boutique collabs look amateur. And therein lies the conundrum here. How do you do this well? Perhaps if NB goes the route that Nike did with the AF1 Nike ID program where they allow collabs to do really elevated 998 collabs again that truly separate it from something that someone can come up with on NB1.

I hope I'm proven wrong. I agree with feelmeguilty feelmeguilty - there's a good chance this revitalizes the 998. I remember Concepts was in the process of releasing a 998 (the same color way you're seeing on the leaked 997S) but I've got a feeling the fact that NB killed the 998 had something to do with why they ultimately scrapped it.

First couple rounds of 998 nb1 were solid. Get your 997 pairs early and often......if I remember correctly, after rd2 is when I remember seeing some alarmingly bad shapes on nb1 998

I'm trying to think back to the last good 997 other than the 2 pairs RF dropped. I honestly think it's been years since there was a 997 GR that I was really into. All seem to slightly miss the mark for me. Glad they're giving us this option and I can do almost whatever I want.

Also crazy the 998 option was around for almost 4 years (3.5?). I feel like I just got into NB recently but apparently the years are cruising by. Wild

Last edited:
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
I’ve read that if you say it enough times, it will come true.

I'm ok with it, hope I can satisfy myself with a pair of 997s. Loved the 998 options but didn't love them on foot so I wound up selling.

no toe dents. 998 or v3 midsole option for comfort.
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff
No toe puff

thanks nb for giving us what we want. kindly asking for no toe dents +998/v3 midsole.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom