Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

First post but I figured its time to stop lurking and join in...

I picked up those 577 Rain Macs -Navy last week. Ordered from AWOL while they had the 30% off NB's. Pretty good deal. The shoe is suppose to be somewhat rainproof. The Mac Raincoat material is definitely water resistant, those are the rubbery panels you see in the pictures. It's lightweight material which makes it feel less tarp like. Mackintosh is a pretty well known name overseas for their patent on the material they use on their raincoats. If you search Youtube videos you'll see people testing their stuff in a variety of wet conditions.

As far as the other materials, the suede is not as soft or buttery smooth as traditional 998, 996, 990, or 1300s. It could be due to them being sprayed with water repellent goods or what not. Completely not sure about it but it feels a bit more rugged if it makes any sense. The Mac material is in place of the usual Mesh material. The back heel tab is a rubbery material. It's not Patent Leather exactly. The tongue is also the Mac material with kind of a chamois towel like material on the opposite liner side of the tongue. It rained today so I decided to sport them out for some trips to Home Depot and other errands on the day. They held up to the conditions pretty well. Feet didn't soak, socks stayed dried. They're now drying, I'll see if the suede material stains from the dampness. I just left it be instead of drying it myself to see how it holds up without any kind of maintenance.

Also a big thing to note at least for me, usually my UK NB's (576's and 577's) I have to go half-size up, and they'll fit perfectly. I did the same with these, and the 9's I got which usually are a good comfortable fit for me, run a half size larger then older 576/577's I have. I would've been fine with an 8.5. Something to note if any of you guys decide on picking these up. Also I'd wait on them, let them sit, wait for a promo. They're not going to go anywhere. Really good functional shoe but unless you're dying for those colors, or expect to be strolling around in wet conditions, or love 577's, they're not must haves, honestly nothing that crazy special at that high price.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention the shape. It's got a pretty decent shape, definitely not a banana shape, pretty close to 2010 577's. The outsoles are also speckled in sand like spots, kind of cool. The insoles have that UK map print, pretty neat. Be careful with the traction on some wet surfaces the rubbers still the same as normal 577's for the outsoles lol.

And that's how you contribute, good looks

Thinking of picking up the 990 burgundy but I see that the shopawol.com is phone or email orders only and I guess the code doesn't work anymore, that code made the 990 a better deal imo

Today 1300LG

What the hell are the materials on these anyways?  Am I looking at vinyl/patent leather?  

Colorways are ill, but I can't do patent like that.  
Its some sort of rubberized material that was inspired by the Mackintosh raincoats that are pretty popular in England due to all the rain. Its actually a great idea for a pair of shoes. From what i've heard the quality of the materials is A1. Will post pics once my pair arrives (Insert Bart Scott yelling "CANT WAIT!") 

First post but I figured its time to stop lurking and join in...

I picked up those 577 Rain Macs -Navy last week. Ordered from AWOL while they had the 30% off NB's. Pretty good deal. The shoe is suppose to be somewhat rainproof. The Mac Raincoat material is definitely water resistant, those are the rubbery panels you see in the pictures. It's lightweight material which makes it feel less tarp like. Mackintosh is a pretty well known name overseas for their patent on the material they use on their raincoats. If you search Youtube videos you'll see people testing their stuff in a variety of wet conditions.

As far as the other materials, the suede is not as soft or buttery smooth as traditional 998, 996, 998, or 1300s. It could be due to them being sprayed with water repellent goods or what not. Completely not sure about it but it feels a bit more rugged if it makes any sense. The Mac material is in place of the usual Mesh material. The back heel tab is a rubbery material. It's not Patent Leather. The tongue is also the Mac material with a kind of towel like material on the opposite liner side of the tongue. It rained today so I decided to sport them out for some trips to Home Depot and other errands on the day. They help up to the conditions pretty well. Feet didn't soak, socks stayed dried. They're now drying, I'll see if the suede material stains from the dampness. I just left it be instead of drying it myself to see how it holds up without any kind of maintenance lol.

Also a big thing to note at least for me, usually my UK NB's (576's and 577's) I have I go half size up and they fit perfectly. I did the same with these and the 9's I got which usually are a good comfortable fit for me run a half size larger then older 576/577's I have. I would've been fine with an 8.5. Something to note if any of you guys decide on picking these up. Also I'd wait for them to sit, wait for a promo. They're not going to go anywhere. Good functional shoe but unless you're dying for those colors, honestly nothing that special.

Oh I forgot to mention the shape. It's got a pretty decent shape, definitely not a banana shape, pretty close to 2010 577's. The outsoles are also speckled in sand like spots, kind of cool. The insoles have that UK map print, pretty neat. Be careful with the traction on some wet surfaces the rubbers still the same as normal 577's for the outsoles lol.
Great info, brahs.  Definitely appreciate it.  

Welp, guess those are going on the ever-growing must cop, general release list.  

I wanted to wear runners this summer, including my New Balances, but I guess I'll wear them this fall instead.
Here are my two though.
2py93ie.jpg

Still looking for some 996's though :nerd:

Thank you good sir. repped

Same here, 160xx

Love your YouTube vids by the way

Appreciate that man! I'm gonna try and be more active in this thread, when I review the mints I'll be sure to give a shout out to you guys. This thread is awesome. Also if anyone is interested there are some really cheap NB models marked down on finish line. Not many size options and they aren't from the made in the USA line, but a steal none the less.

Back
Top Bottom