Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Talking about leather care, I found out today that my pair of 997 started to get all sorts of mouldy patch all over the suede! I guess the neglect is starting to sip in :frown:

I think perhaps the place I store it is subjected to moisture and humidity (there is an air-con duct somewhere, where water flows) and that is what i suspect is causing the mould to start infesting...anyone know how to go about removing it? 

Try Sneakers ER: dudes behind the company are NB fanatics.

https://www.sneakerser.com

Do any of you guys who own any of the NB x Horween models use wooden shoe trees? If so, I'd love insight on which ones would be a good bet to purchase as I've never used cedar shoe trees for sneakers before (just the plastic IKEA ones). I've seen wooden shoe trees ranging in price from $20 to way more but am wondering if a cheap one from Nordstrom Rack will do.

I've beaten my 1300BERs to death and want to help preserve its shape and help it last longer along with other Horween NBs that I own.

Any help is appreciated!
Wooden shoe trees won't stretch your shoes out unless you use the wrong size shoe tree.  Wooden shoe trees (if used properly) will do two things: maintain the shape of your leather shoes, and absorb moisture (and therefore odor) from your shoes.

If you want to stretch your shoes out, there are shoe stretchers that will allow you to crank them up to stretch the length and/or width:

I use cedar shoe trees in all of my Horween-based NBs, and none have stretched out.  I like the Brooks Brothers ones the best - they're high quality, and you can catch them on discount at most Brooks Brothers outlets.  If there aren't any outlets near you, Brooks Brothers puts them on sale online every few months for 20% off.  As a matter of fact, they're on sale now: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cedar-Shoe-Tree/286H,default,pd.html

@moshepark  yeah man conditioning is key when it comes to leather. I know there's so many ways you can do it, but for my dress shoes i usually just apply a bit of Saphir Renovateur and buff it out with a towel or brush. If there are significant scuffs you could find a polish that matches that shade of brown which would help cover it up.
Isn't Saphir Renovateur mink oil based? I would recommend proceeding with caution using mink oil w/ leather and do your own research as it supposedly makes it harder for the shoe to take a polish and can do damage to stitching. Also, you don't need a dedicated shoe tree for even you dress shoes as you have mentioned that the main purpose of a shoe tree is to absorb moisture and the trees have pretty much done their jobs after sitting in the shoes for a day so feel free to rotate your shoe trees between your dress shoes and sneakers.

Last edited:
Today...

Isn't Saphir Renovateur mink oil based? I would recommend proceeding with caution using mink oil w/ leather and do your own research as it supposedly makes it harder for the shoe to take a polish and can do damage to stitching. Also, you don't need a dedicated shoe tree for even you dress shoes as you have mentioned that the main purpose of a shoe tree is to absorb moisture and the trees have pretty much done their jobs after sitting in the shoes for a day so feel free to rotate your shoe trees between your dress shoes and sneakers.

There is some mink oil in it, but not a whole lot. So i wouldn't say it's mink oil based. There's tons of other stuff like bees wax and other essential oils. I wouldn't recommend mink oil for dress shoes, but Reno works great for me.

NB1 is supposed to be delivered today 
nerd.gif

Hopefully its not terrible like the last pair

There is some mink oil in it, but not a whole lot. So i wouldn't say it's mink oil based. There's tons of other stuff like bees wax and other essential oils. I wouldn't recommend mink oil for dress shoes, but Reno works great for me.
@mykoh  have you worn any of your Horween's enough to use conditioner on them? Just curious what others have done to keep their Horweens in good shape. I'm thinking of grabbing some Saphir Renovateur for them but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Wooden shoe trees won't stretch your shoes out unless you use the wrong size shoe tree.  Wooden shoe trees (if used properly) will do two things: maintain the shape of your leather shoes, and absorb moisture (and therefore odor) from your shoes.

If you want to stretch your shoes out, there are shoe stretchers that will allow you to crank them up to stretch the length and/or width:

I use cedar shoe trees in all of my Horween-based NBs, and none have stretched out.  I like the Brooks Brothers ones the best - they're high quality, and you can catch them on discount at most Brooks Brothers outlets.  If there aren't any outlets near you, Brooks Brothers puts them on sale online every few months for 20% off.  As a matter of fact, they're on sale now: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cedar-Shoe-Tree/286H,default,pd.html

They used to have these at Nordstrom Rack for like $15 or less on sale. Was branded as WoodLore brand I believe

@mykoh  have you worn any of your Horween's enough to use conditioner on them? Just curious what others have done to keep their Horweens in good shape. I'm thinking of grabbing some Saphir Renovateur for them but I'm not sure if it's worth it.
i used it on a pair of Brooks (UBIQ Liberty) that is supposedly horween and it turned the previously ashy brown leather a darker shade, almost as if it was wet. The leather became moisturized and a little glossy, so the Reno did condition it well, but i guess you have to consider whether the look of conditioned leather is something you want in the first place? Unless the shoe is already moisturized and glossy like most dress shoes, then the Reno would not change the shade at all.

Not sure if i'm making sense here lolol

Also, the tonal laces ended up not matching the brown leather after i conditioned, so that was a bummer for me.

Oh and there's also cheaper alternatives like Venetian Shoe Cream or Bickmore Bick4.

Greenbacks look good. I'm bummed I slept on them.
 ​
Yeah mane I knew I had to grab these joints.. I'm a sucker for nubuck or suede perf toes on the 998. 
smokin.gif
 ​
 ​

Loving these, gonna unDS my pair soon.

Thanks for the on-foot looks on these - no stores around me had these, and the catalog/online pics from JCrew weren't the greatest. 

Reps to both of you.
No problem.
nthat.gif
 I was very happy when I got these in hand. 

These 3 are most def gems.. I'm leaning on the 991.5 due to the overall color-blocking, material & I know these are going to be the most comfortable. Then 577's due to the overall color-blocking and toe shape, then the 1500's the color-blocking isn't the best out them, but that toe shape. :smokin

Last edited:
Don't have 998's yet, but i find them a bit shorter than both my 997 and 1300, and on par with my 1400. I go TTS on the 577 / 1400 and half down on the others.

Also find them the least comfortable out of the four, but still nice nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom