***OFFICIAL NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS SEASON THREAD*** (13-4) - Patriots @ Broncos - Sun 3:05PM EST - Bra

sick.gif
 defense, malcolm butler, and jonassssssssssssss

so ready for this season

Last edited:
If he can keep producing I think he'll definitely be the starter Week 1 while Blount serves his suspension

all things considered, i liked what i saw last night. on paper and even for parts of the game, things looked pretty crappy. but a bunch to be happy about i thought.

jimmy i thought showed good poise. seemed like when he wasn't trying to hit boyce, he was doing fine. i think the sacks were definitely a mix of him holding it too long but also the garbage OL play. the INT was 60-40 on Jimmy i thought. also consider, he was throwing to boyce, krause, ketanni, gibson, harper. only one of those guys is making the team.

james white looked good. caught the ball and got yards. exactly what we're looking for out of him.

gray...this guy needs to play. ran well. they keep saying he shed weight but i swear he looks like he added muscle and bulk.

the biggest bright spot was the defensive line. we've got a ton of players on that line. flowers and brown looked great in their pro debuts. brown was just pushing his guy back and taking on double teams just like vince used to. he showed some range moving down the line to make some stops. sheard looked freaking amazing. dude was in the backfield all night pressuring. the line as a whole really got big and stout in a number of short yardage situations. good stuff from them.

secondary (logan ryan not included) held their own pretty well. i was expecting a lot worse considering we were playing rodgers.

Sheard might lowkey end up being one of the better free agent signings this season :pimp:,dude is gonna feast with the depth we have on the line taking some pressure off of him.

I liked Jimmy G's poise in the pocket,he never got rattled or looked like a dear in headlights even when he was about to take a sack,wish Tom would take notes :lol:. His arm is also pretty great,dude was making every kind of throw and didn't make as many mistakes as I expected. He still has lots of room to improve but I'm confident in his abilities if TB does end up missing some games.

Gray needs to split carries with Blount man,he lost weight and it shows. I've always been a fan of us using a power running game.

Butler might already have that #1 CB spot locked up,the secondary overall didn't look "legion of whom" bad :lol:,especially against AR. With the front 7 looking like its gonna be bringing more pressure to the QB this year,the secondary should be at least somewhat serviceable imo.

Last edited:
I agree for the most part on Jimmy. The o-line play was trash but he was standing back there with the ball longer than he should have. That's also one of the main comments people had been making in regards to his training camp play. Overall he was decent for what he had to work with and showed some really good decision making at times i.e. end of the 2nd quarter having the presence of mind to realize we had no timeouts and needed to spike the ball so we could at least get a FG.

Boyce did not have a good game to say the least. Both Gray and White looked good out of the backfield although White did miss a couple blocking assignments, one leading to a sack.

The Defense tho? 
smokin.gif
 Really liked what I saw from Sheard, Flowers showed some drive also especially on the play he sacked Rogers. This is EXACTLY what we've been needing, somebody who can set the edge and get in the backfield to take some of the heat off Chandler and Nink. Freeny looked kinda erratic but he eventually settled down, he could be at solid back up for us at linebacker.

Butler is far and away the best CB we have and it showed in those 10-15 snaps he took 
laugh.gif
 Was anybody else surprised to see Darryl Roberts out there with 1's? People have been raving about his play in training camp, in the back of my head I kinda thought that was Ryan's spot to lose tho. In any event, Ryan didn't really help his case last night.

If we start the year with a undrafted free agent and 7th round Rookie at CB 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
^ :lol: yeah 7th rounder at starting CB :smh:

butler getting that veteran treatment last night...funny to see him strutting around on the sideline talking to the other CBs and patting them on the back.

he didn't look too bad. had a tough assignment covering nelson for a bit. hope his hand/wrist injury isn't too bad.

fletcher also wasn't too bad when he got his reps. same with mcclain. really the only guy i wanted to IK empali was logan ryan. someone buy that kid a bus ticket to anywhere outside of NE.

Last edited:
 really the only guy i wanted to IK empali was logan ryan. someone buy that kid a bus ticket to anywhere outside of NE.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yea it's been disappointing seeing him these last few years after that rookie year,who would've thought that that would be him at his peak? 
laugh.gif
mean.gif
. I keep hearing people mentioning McClain as Arrington's successor at the slot,I don't know much about him yet. 

McClain, from what it looks like, is probably a lock at slot. He's a average side corner but he's pretty fast and versatile, also surprisingly strong and a very good/sound tackler. Seems to be fairly solid in man coverage. We played in the nickel ~70% last year so he will probably see a lot of playing time this upcoming year.

Speaking of the nickel, a few people said Matt P and BB were experimenting more in training camp with that 3 safety "big" nickel package. Chung/Richards would play more of a hybrid s/lb role closer to the line in front of Harmon and Dmac.

Richards also looked pretty good in a few different spots last night, this safety group is looking really versatile.

Last edited:
Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 42s43 seconds ago
Sack responsibility:
1. Fleming
2. Mason
3. Garoppolo (Barker's man)
4. White
5. Barker/Jackson
6. Everybody (Asper's man)
7. Kline

Last edited:
I missed most of the game, but based on the impressions in here, it was about as positive as you could get from the 1st preseason game.

Last edited:
Hahaha I was just going to post this... Great shirt

Edit:  

Going to be good 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom