Official NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by jville819

This is from rotoworld
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart underwent surgery on his big toe Wednesday. He'll be out four to six months.

If Stewart heals quickly, he'll have a chance to be ready before the start of training camp. Still, Stewart will miss all pre-camp work and his draft status will likely be affected severely. It's a somewhat similar situation to Adrian Peterson's in 2007, but Stewart's potential isn't on that level. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him fall to round two.

FIRST AID DAMN

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

[h1]Lions release Kevin Jones
[/h1]
The Lions have announced the releases of running back Kevin Jones and defensive end Kalimba Edwards.

"As I've said all along, we will always make decisions that we believe are in the best interest of our entire football team," coach Rod Marinelli said in a statement this afternoon. "As the off-season has evolved from our postseason roster evaluation to the combine to the free agency period, we feel we've made several moves to improve our team.

"With the off-season program beginning next week and with our draft preparation intensifying, we decided this was the right time to make these two roster moves. While there are always a number of factors that go into this type of decision, we do believe these moves bring clarity to our roster and also eliminate some uncertainty heading into the draft that would have otherwise existed.

"We sincerely appreciate the contributions that Kevin and Kalimba have made to our football team and we wish them the very best. We appreciate their hard work and professionalism during their time with the Lions."

President Matt Millen called Jones this morning and told him of the Lions' plans to let him go, two sources told the Free Press. The Lions gave Jones two reasons: the salary cap and injuries.

Jones, a first-round pick in 2004, was scheduled to make a base salary of $2.37 million this season. He is recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, after coming back from a serious foot injury last year.

The first source said there was a possibility Jones could come back at a reduced salary.

The second source said Jones was in the Detroit area a couple of weeks ago. He returned to Arizona to rehab, was scheduled to return to Detroit late this week and was shocked by the news today. The Lions' off-season conditioning program starts Monday.

Edwards said after the season he expected to be gone one way or another. He never developed into the pass rusher the Lions hoped he would become.

"I told you all at the beginning of the season what the deal was if I didn't produce, if you all remember my statements," Edwards said Dec. 31. "If I would have made the plays, I'd still be here. I told you if I didn't make the plays, I wasn't going to be here."

Edwards, a second-round pick in 2002, signed a five-year, $20-million contract with the Lions in '06. He hoped Marinelli, a defensive line guru, would turn him into one of the NFL's top pass rushers. He talked about double-digit sacks.

But he had only three sacks each of the past two seasons. He opened this season as the starting right defensive end, missed four games because of injuries and ended up inactive for the last four games. He didn't even travel for the last two road games.

He said he wasn't bitter, though.

"We men, man," Edwards said Dec. 31. "Ain't no hostility. You sign a contract. If you produce, you keep that contract. If you don't, you don't. Me and Rod, we men. …

"When he told me what was up, I said, 'I understand,' because that was the deal between us. It was unsaid. It was unwritten. But we knew what the deal was."
Not a bad back when healthy....

I was shocked when I heard the news. Loved the way he played. Seems like we are going to go after DMAC, Felix jones, or Jamaal Charles,

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Yeah, yeah. Seriously, I only partially understand Fitzgerald's train of thought here. On one hand he gets $33M guaranteed and a four year contract (enabling him to sign another big contract before he's 30). But on the other hand, he was going to make $32M over the next two years if he didn't do anything. If he wanted to be a Cardinal so bad, why didn't he get this done a month ago? He cost his team Faneca, Pace, and I'm sure other free agents that may have had an interest, but never went further because of their cap situation.

man i dont feel bad for any team hell they release players like it aint nothin so get the bread fitz

49ers agreed to terms with WR Bryant Johnson on a one-year contract.

Johnson, 27, caught at least 40 passes in each of the last four years as Arizona's third receiver. He has the speed Mike Martz likes outside, but isn't known as a precise route runner, a requirement in Martz's offense.

Well, Eagles fans... I think that leaves you with these options:
Antonio Chatman
D.J. Hackett
Terrance Copper
Taylor Jacobs

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Johnson, 27, caught at least 40 passes in each of the last four years as Arizona's third receiver. He has the speed Mike Martz likes outside, but isn't known as a precise route runner, a requirement in Martz's offense.

Antonio Chatman
D.J. Hackett
Terrance Copper
Taylor Jacobs

smh.gif
laugh.gif

only signing by the niners i like..
grin.gif

numbers on the contract?

OH YEA.. that boy Gatlin in ca$hville trying out for the titans..
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yea they offered him that a while ago.. Al Saunders wants him to sign in St. Louis.. Its between those two tho

Boldin would be a perfect fit for the Niners.

Boldin, Bruce and Vernon Davis would be some sick targets for whoever our QB ends up being.

Originally Posted by JordanXI45

Boldin would be a perfect fit for the Niners.

Boldin, Bruce and Vernon Davis would be some sick targets for whoever our QB ends up being.
Originally Posted by dreClark

If Quan leaves or get traded....

I hope he goes to a team w/ a QB.....Don't wanna see him wasting away....
smh.gif

Antonio Chatman
D.J. Hackett
Terrance Copper
Taylor Jacobs

He's the GOAT.......During Practice
laugh.gif

Rumors that Atlanta will take a QB in the 2nd round as opposed to Matt Ryan with the 3rd pick...
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I wonder who would take him if they don't (Chiefs at 5? Ravens at 8? Bears at 14?)...

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

I wouldn't be shocked to see Darrell go to Philly & flourish in their West Coast offense
nerd.gif

Darrell Jackson + Reggie Brown = 50% chance they'll drop whatever is thrown at em.

Rumors that Atlanta will take a QB in the 2nd round as opposed to Matt Ryan with the 3rd pick...
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I wonder who would take him if they don't (Chiefs at 5? Ravens at 8? Bears at 14?)...

Give me anybody but Ryan at #3 and I'm happy.

Word is the Falcons have been very impressed with Woodson and Flacco, with Arthur Blank's man-crush for Brohm still there from the Petrino days.

Jason Elam is visiting Atlanta next week. We might have an actual NFL kicker for the first time since 1998.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

I wouldn't be shocked to see Darrell go to Philly & flourish in their West Coast offense
nerd.gif

Oh Christ, i bet Eagles fans cringe at the thought of that.

As far as Atlanta, how's the O-Line and D-Line? How was Abraham last year? To the fans, do you think the Falcons would be considering Dorsey, Gholston, orJake Long?

Back
Top Bottom