Official NFL Offseason Thread

Dante aint a number one for the 49ers imo. but with a decent QB he Berrian and Jackson dont sound bad at all.
The 49ers have no business not trying to make (without force) Alex be a right handed Steve Young. He got all the tools to be that Imo.

key points:

-Trying to bring in Chad Johnson
-Want to add Lance Briggs
-F the Salary cap
-Rock Cartwright won't be back
-Trent Dilfer might be our #3 QB....
-Brunell is gone
-Laron Landry (in their words) is on the verge of stardom
-Ladell Betts is the backup....but will be the #1 kick returner next year....
How they have managed to not completely crash and burn under the cap yet is beyond me... Seems like every single off-season these guys are addingmonster contracts, and still looking to add more. Restructuring deals every offseason would catch up with them eventually, wouldn't it?

laugh.gif
Nowitness....I laugh at people who point at the Skins salary cap #'s as a deterrent for them spending on free agents...as it said here:

Snyder and Cerrato are working to renegotiate a dozen or so contracts, with the team roughly $16 million over the salary cap. It's an annual ritual -- converting base salaries to bonuses for cap savings -- and undoubtedly the ******** will be left with room under the salary cap to add players.

this is the same song and dance every year....a bloated salary cap, but the 99% of the Skins (minus Shawn Springs) are ALWAYS quick to restructure deals.It's like they sign a deal w. the devil when negotiating with Dan Snyder. There has to be some clause or something written in fine print that makes theseguys voluntairly restructure no matter how bad the situation surrounding the team is.....

Originally Posted by JayJunkie

What about Roy Williams from the Lions on the 49ers?

this is not going to happen. The niners don't have enough trade bait to make that happen. Roy is not a Martz receiver. he needs s. mcdonald, M. Furreyor someone like them.

Asomugha is that dude
pimp.gif
, the Raiders need to re-sign him.

I hope the 49ers get Berrian or Stallworth, but I feel a WR in the draft would make more sense. I know enough about DeSean to think he can fit well in ourteam, but how successful can dudes like Doucet, Malcolm Kelly (even tho we won't get him unless we trade up), Manningham, Hardy fit?

I seriously think DeSean is THE ideal WR for the 49ers' future, but the problem is he ain't gonna slip to the end of the 1st unless his combine sucks.i've seen too much of him and not enough of other WRs in this class, so i'd like to know of other options via the draft that would work well forus...since it's clear WR is easily our no. 1 priority. Arnaz Battle is at best a No. 3 receiver, and Butterfinger Jackson is not that great.

Ravens will place franchise tag on LB Suggs
Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 5:04 pm EST

ept_sports_rumors-606177053-1200147485.jpg

Getty Images

The Baltimore Ravens aren't going to let linebacker Terrell Suggs hit the open market when free agency begins at the end of the month the Baltimore Sun reported.

"We will be using the franchise tag on Terrell if we don't have a long-term deal in place between now and then," general manager Ozzie Newsome said Monday.

Despite having a career-low five sacks last season, Suggs would be one of the most sought-after free agents this year. By using the tag on Suggs, the Ravens would give him a one-year contract worth $8.065 million, the average of the five highest-paid linebackers in the NFL. If another team makes an offer to Suggs (which is unlikely to happen), the Ravens can match it or receive two first-round picks as compensation.

Source: Baltimore Sun

UNOC got franchised huh.....

Boy better try to get than long term money....Cause 2 subpar seasons in a row, will have people thinking....

Jones stays close to 'home'
Looking for better '08

By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com senior editor
02/13/08

There wasn't much chance Greg Jones was going to leave the Jaguars. That's pretty much the way Jones characterized his flirtation with free agency.

"I wanted to stay here. I just wanted to be here five more years," he told reporters at a hastily arranged press conference on Wednesday afternoon that celebrated a new contract some are reporting will make Jones the highest-paid fullback in NFL history.

"That's what some people say but I don't know," Jones said with a smile.

The Jaguars signed Jones to a five-year contract and kept in place the AFC's number one fullback alternate in Pro-Bowl voting. Jones, who came to the Jaguars from Florida State with the reputation for being a feature running back, says it's all fine with him now because it fits neatly into his "simple life."

At Florida State he was a star runner. What if he had been told then that he would become more of a blocker and less of a runner in pro football?

"Then? I would've probably told you something I can't repeat right now," Jones said. "I'm still playing the game of football. I'm one of those lucky few."

Re-signing with the Jaguars was also a simple matter. He wanted to stay near his South Carolina and Florida State roots, and the Jaguars had lots of salary cap room to make it happen. Jones' contract voided the day after the Super Bowl, which would've made him an unrestricted free agent at midnight on Feb. 29.

"They know how bad I wanted to stay here. It's in my backyard. I'm a home body," Jones said.

In 2007, his comeback year from, yet, a second surgery on a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), Jones was primarily a blocker and short-yardage runner. He rushed 42 times for 119 yards and two touchdowns and caught 11 passes for 99 yards and two touchdowns. He is considered to be a devastating blocker.

He appeared to be headed for a star season as a runner in the summer of 2006, until the ACL injury in a preseason game. He underwent ACL recovery in college, too, when he was considered one of the best runners in the country.

"I feel I can do better than I did last season. They say it's normally a year after the surgery so, hopefully, 2008 will be better," Jones said.

With Maurice Jones-Drew waiting to step into Fred Taylor's feature role, however, Jones is likely to stay in his fullback role.

"I'm going to continue blocking, staying after practice and working my butt off," he said. "It's hard work and it's finally paying off for me."

[h2]http://news.jacksonville.com/justin/2008/02/13/greg-jones-signed-to-five-year-deal/[/h2]
[h2]Greg Jones signs five-year deal[/h2]
Posted: Wednesday, February 13th, 2008 at 11:15 am

Though Greg Jones opted out of his contract to become a free agent in March, he's not going anywhere.

The Jaguars locked up Jones on Wednesday with a five-year contract,which is believed to be the largest in NFL history for a fullback.

Terms of the deal weren't disclosed. But a source familiar with the negotiations, asking not to be identified because of the sensitive nature of contract disclosure, said Jones' deal is similar to the one signed last March by Atlanta Falcons fullback Ovie Mughelli - "only a little bigger."

Mughelli signed a six-year $18 million contract on the first day of free agency in 2007 that included a $5 million signing bonus, which was the biggest contract handed to a fullback. Scheduled to make $545,000 in base salary in '08, Jones won't get a shot at testing the free-agent waters in March.

That's of little consequence when considering the enormity of Jones' new deal.

Coming off a resurgent 2007 season in which he was named first alternate to the Pro Bowl and voted as the team's Ed Block award winner, Jones rushed for two touchdowns in addition to catching two TD passes.

Most importantly, Jones provided the lead blocks for Fred Taylor, allowing him to finish with his seventh season with at least 1,100 yards rushing in the last nine years. With Jones opening the holes, Taylor was also able to surpass 10,000 career rushing yards last season while securing his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

My man GJ.....

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

Jones stays close to 'home'
Looking for better '08

By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com senior editor
02/13/08

There wasn't much chance Greg Jones was going to leave the Jaguars. That's pretty much the way Jones characterized his flirtation with free agency.

"I wanted to stay here. I just wanted to be here five more years," he told reporters at a hastily arranged press conference on Wednesday afternoon that celebrated a new contract some are reporting will make Jones the highest-paid fullback in NFL history.

"That's what some people say but I don't know," Jones said with a smile.

The Jaguars signed Jones to a five-year contract and kept in place the AFC's number one fullback alternate in Pro-Bowl voting. Jones, who came to the Jaguars from Florida State with the reputation for being a feature running back, says it's all fine with him now because it fits neatly into his "simple life."

At Florida State he was a star runner. What if he had been told then that he would become more of a blocker and less of a runner in pro football?

"Then? I would've probably told you something I can't repeat right now," Jones said. "I'm still playing the game of football. I'm one of those lucky few."

Re-signing with the Jaguars was also a simple matter. He wanted to stay near his South Carolina and Florida State roots, and the Jaguars had lots of salary cap room to make it happen. Jones' contract voided the day after the Super Bowl, which would've made him an unrestricted free agent at midnight on Feb. 29.

"They know how bad I wanted to stay here. It's in my backyard. I'm a home body," Jones said.

In 2007, his comeback year from, yet, a second surgery on a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), Jones was primarily a blocker and short-yardage runner. He rushed 42 times for 119 yards and two touchdowns and caught 11 passes for 99 yards and two touchdowns. He is considered to be a devastating blocker.

He appeared to be headed for a star season as a runner in the summer of 2006, until the ACL injury in a preseason game. He underwent ACL recovery in college, too, when he was considered one of the best runners in the country.

"I feel I can do better than I did last season. They say it's normally a year after the surgery so, hopefully, 2008 will be better," Jones said.

With Maurice Jones-Drew waiting to step into Fred Taylor's feature role, however, Jones is likely to stay in his fullback role.

"I'm going to continue blocking, staying after practice and working my butt off," he said. "It's hard work and it's finally paying off for me."

[h2]http://news.jacksonville.com/justin/2008/02/13/greg-jones-signed-to-five-year-deal/[/h2]
[h2]Greg Jones signs five-year deal[/h2]
Posted: Wednesday, February 13th, 2008 at 11:15 am

Though Greg Jones opted out of his contract to become a free agent in March, he's not going anywhere.

The Jaguars locked up Jones on Wednesday with a five-year contract,which is believed to be the largest in NFL history for a fullback.

Terms of the deal weren't disclosed. But a source familiar with the negotiations, asking not to be identified because of the sensitive nature of contract disclosure, said Jones' deal is similar to the one signed last March by Atlanta Falcons fullback Ovie Mughelli - "only a little bigger."

Mughelli signed a six-year $18 million contract on the first day of free agency in 2007 that included a $5 million signing bonus, which was the biggest contract handed to a fullback. Scheduled to make $545,000 in base salary in '08, Jones won't get a shot at testing the free-agent waters in March.

That's of little consequence when considering the enormity of Jones' new deal.

Coming off a resurgent 2007 season in which he was named first alternate to the Pro Bowl and voted as the team's Ed Block award winner, Jones rushed for two touchdowns in addition to catching two TD passes.

Most importantly, Jones provided the lead blocks for Fred Taylor, allowing him to finish with his seventh season with at least 1,100 yards rushing in the last nine years. With Jones opening the holes, Taylor was also able to surpass 10,000 career rushing yards last season while securing his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

My man GJ.....

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i remember him back when he was bout to get drafted...

always thought he was gunna be a steal since he was only drafted in rd. 3

[h4]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Lewis-says-Chad-Johnson-will-not-be-traded?urn=nfl,66757[/h4]
[h4]Lewis says Chad Johnson will not be traded[/h4]
Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 7:37 am EST

Chad Johnson will remain with the Bengals according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. Johnson lobbied on radio stations across the country expressing a desire to place elsewhere in 2008.

In his strongest statements to date about the disgruntled wide receiver, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said Wednesday that the team will not trade Johnson and never has discussed it.

"No. 1, the guy has a contract through 2011, OK," Lewis said in an interview with The Enquirer and the team Web site. "No one within the Bengals organization has ever spoken of or ever uttered anything about trading Chad Johnson, nor will he be traded. "There is no such thing as behind-the-door dealings in the NFL. That does not occur because the team in question (the Bengals) is not willing to trade their player, nor have they thought about trading their player or discussed trading their player, nor will they discuss trading their player.''

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Greg Jones with a new contract
pimp.gif

Its always good to see Noles doing good in the League. I still laugh when i think about what he did to that Carolina DB

From what i've heard..

The broncos are about to release Javon Walker, Travis Henry, and Ian Gold..

Originally Posted by thetruth03

From what i've heard..

Javon had a couple of good years with Green Bay and Denver, i wonder if he has anything left in the tank after the injuries. If he does i wouldnt mindtaking a look at him

Originally Posted by thetruth03

From what i've heard..

Damn Brandon Marshall ended Javon something serious made dude expendable. Or maybe his knee isnt healing up like they hoped?

Selvin >>> Henry (I always liked Selvin for some reason but he in Denver so it aint him
laugh.gif
)

and Ian Gold is pretty quick and thats about it.

Do it Dan I rather have a healthy Javon at split then anyone the Skins could draft

Can someone school me on NFL contracts...

From what i know players want that guaranteed money.

All these big contracts that get signed they make that big money in the later years of the contract but by then they get cut. Do they get money when they getcut or something ?

Whats the big deal do if they place the franchise tag on them ? are they just scared of getting injured ? I mean if you sign a big contract then get injuredbadly, wont they just cut you anyway ?

I mean there's gotta be something i dont get here if Briggs & Asante were not going to training camp because they got the franchise tag and weregetting paid 7 mill+ for the year.

Stallworth signs a big contract and he's cut after the 1st year in it. What the hell ?

School me....

Originally Posted by Dam itz Lou

Can someone school me on NFL contracts...

From what i know players want that guaranteed money.

All these big contracts that get signed they make that big money in the later years of the contract but by then they get cut. Do they get money when they get cut or something ?

Whats the big deal do if they place the franchise tag on them ? are they just scared of getting injured ? I mean if you sign a big contract then get injured badly, wont they just cut you anyway ?

I mean there's gotta be something i dont get here if Briggs & Asante were not going to training camp because they got the franchise tag and were getting paid 7 mill+ for the year.

Stallworth signs a big contract and he's cut after the 1st year in it. What the hell ?

School me....
Money up front. They get outrageous bonuses. All those numbers on the back end of contracts is as valuble as monopoly money.

Someone who is getting franchised isnt gonna sign a contract like that. They are gonna sign a contract that makes them hard to cut. Those big huge deals yourtalking about are for dudes who are overhyped there is a reason their last team got rid of them.

All these big contracts that get signed they make that big money in the later years of the contract but by then they get cut. Do they get money when they get cut or something ?

no, when Ur cut, thats it. No NFL contract is guaranteed.

Whats the big deal do if they place the franchise tag on them ? are they just scared of getting injured ? I mean if you sign a big contract then get injured badly, wont they just cut you anyway ?

the big deal is, when a player is franchised, he is no longer a unrestricted free agent, and can not go play for anyone else other than the team that franchised him. meaning u get a one yr deal, for the avg salary of the top 5 paid players at your position.
If u sign a long term contract and get hurt, a team can not release you, without an injury settlement

mean there's gotta be something i dont get here if Briggs & Asante were not going to training camp because they got the franchise tag and were getting paid 7 mill+ for the year.

well, it worked out for Asante but not so much for Briggs.
Briggs will not see the pay day he should have gotten last yr because the Bears D had a down yr and his next contract will be afffected by it.

Back
Top Bottom