Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

Originally Posted by Ziostilon

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

No Vancouver write up? Booooooooooooooooooooooooo

ya whats up with that. no Caps write up either. must've got cut off
There was no write up for Minnesota, Vancouver, and Washington... I'll check back tomorrow to see if it was updated.

My predictions...

Stats will be deflated this season due to injuries and fatigue due to the crammed schedule. The 2-week Olympic break will have a huge impact on how the seasonplays out. Star players will be fatigued/injured from the grueling Olympic hockey schedule which will immediately be followed by a hectic March for every NHLteam. Almost every team will play 6 games in 8 nights for the entire month which'll force teams to rely on their role players to step up.

I think that the Red Wings have an "off year" by their standards and they start to decline. By that I mean that they finish outside the top 2 in theWestern Conference.

Pittsburgh will suffer a Stanley Cup hangover and finish between 5th-8th in the East.

East...

No shot at playoffs whatsoever - NY Islanders, Atlanta Thrashers, Florida Panthers, Buffalo Sabres

Almost guaranteed to make the playoffs - Devils, Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington

Battling for the final 4 spots: Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Carolina, TB Lightning, NY Rangers

I say Boston, Montreal, Carolina and Ottawa make it.

West...

Not shot at playoffs whatsoever - Colorado, Phoenix, LA Kings, Predators, Minny

Guaranteed to make the playoffs - Wings, Sharks, Blackhawks, Canucks, Flames

Battling for the last 3 spots - St. Louis, Columbus, Anaheim, Dallas

I say St. Louis, Columbus and Dallas make it.

Joe Thornton wins the scoring title with 115 pts. There wont be any 50-goal scorers but Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Heatley will score 40+. There's no way in bluehe.ll that Gaborik scores 52-goals
roll.gif
He'll score 35 if he can stayhealthy for around 70-games.

Capitals vs. Sharks in the Cup finals. Capitals win the Cup.

I agree with Thornton having a huge season... Thornton with Heatley can be very dangerous. But no way he beats out Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby for the scoringtitle.... The scoring title will just rotate between those 3 for the next 10 years.

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

gabs can get 52 but idk if he'll stay healthy, division is tuff.....speaking of division, theatlantic is gonna be nuts this year.

looking at your scorers prediction i dont see hartnell(i think hes gonna get 25-30)
nerd.gif
you got gagne twice.

flyers goals prediction
carter 40+
gagne 30-40
hartnell 25-30
richards 25-30
giroux 20-25
briere 20-25
JvR 15-25

Gagne will have to stay healthy same thing with Danny. and is jeff carter a one hit wonder, and not stay at that 40 goal mark. and go back to the 25-30goal mark

i am hoping Foppa will come back with the Flyers though. with him Gagne
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

There's no way in blue he.ll that Gaborik scores 52-goals
roll.gif
He'll score 35 if he can stay healthy for around 70-games.
Gabby does have the talent to get to the 40-50 goal mark. he just needs to stay healthy and not play in Lemaire's trap system

There's no way in blue he.ll that Gaborik scores 52-goals
roll.gif
Since the lockout, Alex Ovechkin is the only player with a higher Goals Per Game than Marian Gaborik... 52 goals is certainly reasonable if heplays a full season. However, that is a big "if."

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

I agree with Thornton having a huge season... Thornton with Heatley can be very dangerous. But no way he beats out Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby for the scoring title.... The scoring title will just rotate between those 3 for the next 10 years.
I think that with a 40+ goal scorer next to him, Thornton will have a monster year. I think that Malkin and Crosby will have"disappointing" seasons. They'll still get 90+ pts but I'm not sure they'll have the same motivation they had prior to being Cup winners.Look at recent Cup winners who did not play that well the following season...Tampa (the lockout killed them), Carolina and Anaheim.

Washington will be beasts in the East, I think that they'll have more balanced scoring and Ovechkin wont have to shoulder the load as much as he did inprevious years. He'll be top 3 in scoring for sure though as long as he's healthy (which he has been his first 4 yrs).

ATFK who's centering Gabs, Vinny?

BTW here are the first power rankings, never seen the Devils this low
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]2009-2010 Power Rankings: Week 1[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]RK (PV)[/td] [td] TEAM[/td] [td]REC.[/td] [td]COMMENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
pit.gif
[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Penguins[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Hey, they're the defending Stanley Cup champs. They get a free pass to the top of the rankings for at least a week.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
san.gif
[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]Sharks[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]These are regular-season rankings, not playoff rankings, which explains why the Sharks are here and not in the trash bin.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
phi.gif
[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]Flyers[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]This is a good, big, deep, hungry team. All eyes are on goalie Ray Emery now.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
was.gif
[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]Capitals[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]The Caps are grittier up front, but the defense and goaltending will have to prove themselves if Washington wants to get to the top of the heap.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
chi.gif
[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]Blackhawks[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Can the youthful Hawks play with monster expectations? Why not?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
det.gif
[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]Red Wings[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]The Wings will have to prove significant personnel changes won't set them back too much in the ultra-competitive Western Conference.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
cgy.gif
[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]Flames[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Look for big bounce-back seasons from goalie Miikka Kiprusoff and defenseman Dion Phaneuf.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
bos.gif
[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]Bruins[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Defending Vezina Trophy and Norris Trophy winners Tim Thomas and Zdeno Chara suggest the Bruins will remain a force in the East even without Phil Kessel.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
ana.gif
[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]Ducks[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]If the goaltending tandem of Jonas Hiller and Jean-Sebastien Giguere doesn't implode, the Ducks are a dark horse to win the Pacific Division.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
tam.gif
[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]Lightning[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]The Lightning could be the surprise team in the Eastern Conference if Mike Smith stays healthy in goal.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
car.gif
[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]Hurricanes[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]A solid, middle-of-the-playoff-pack team.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
stl.gif
[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]Blues[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Erik Johnson, Paul Kariya, et al, start the season healthy and with high expectations. Those expectations are well-placed.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
buf.gif
[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]Sabres[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Can the Sabres stay healthy? If so, they're back in the postseason.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
los.gif
[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]Kings[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Are these Kings really ready to take that all-important step toward the playoffs? They'd better be, or heads will roll in L.A.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
fla.gif
[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]Panthers[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Solid coaching and a core of young forwards are ready to take the Panthers back to the postseason.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
edm.gif
[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]Oilers[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Top-notch coaching, solid goaltending and a talented blue line should get the Oilers back into the playoffs.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
van.gif
[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]Canucks[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]A murderous road schedule around the Olympics and questions about the offense will combine for heartache come playoff time. At least in our book.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
mon.gif
[/td] [td]18[/td] [td]Canadiens[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Lots of offense, not enough size and what about the goaltending?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
ott.gif
[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]Senators[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Too many question marks, especially along the blue line. Can Pascal Leclaire revive the Sens?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
min.gif
[/td] [td]20[/td] [td]Wild[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]New coach Todd Richards should erase the previously stifling style, but the Wild still will not have enough offense.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
nsh.gif
[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]Predators[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Can rookie sensation Pekka Rinne carry the freight for a Preds team that once again looks like it will struggle to score?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
nyr.gif
[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]Rangers[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]There is something not quite right with the Rangers. Marian Gaborik will have to prove us wrong.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
cls.gif
[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]Blue Jackets[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Hard to believe Steve Mason will be able to replicate his extraordinary rookie-season success. If he can't, there will be trouble aplenty in Columbus.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
njd.gif
[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]Devils[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Even Jacques Lemaire won't be able to hide the deficiencies in offense from which the Devils look to suffer.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
atl.gif
[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]Thrashers[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]The offense will be explosive, but goaltending might once again doom the Thrashers.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
dal.gif
[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]Stars[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]The retooled Stars have questions on the back end, and need offensive stars Brenden Morrow and Brad Richards to bounce back from serious injuries.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
tor.gif
[/td] [td]27[/td] [td]Maple Leafs[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Tough, you bet. Scoring? Not so much. Goaltending? Who knows.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
nyi.gif
[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]Islanders[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]Rookie John Tavares is in the spotlight, but team defense and goaltending should be better this season.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
pho.gif
[/td] [td]29[/td] [td]Coyotes[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]The office mess has bled into the locker room with the resignation of coach Wayne Gretzky. New bench boss Dave Tippett is a fine coach but hasn't had much time to get this squad ready for competition.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
col.gif
[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]Avalanche[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td]A once-great team in full decline.[/td] [/tr][/table]

^ The Devils are overlooked every year but they contend for the division title every single season without fail... I don't know when these"experts" are gonna figure this out.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

I agree with Thornton having a huge season... Thornton with Heatley can be very dangerous. But no way he beats out Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby for the scoring title.... The scoring title will just rotate between those 3 for the next 10 years.
I think that with a 40+ goal scorer next to him, Thornton will have a monster year. I think that Malkin and Crosby will have "disappointing" seasons. They'll still get 90+ pts but I'm not sure they'll have the same motivation they had prior to being Cup winners. Look at recent Cup winners who did not play that well the following season...Tampa (the lockout killed them), Carolina and Anaheim.

Washington will be beasts in the East, I think that they'll have more balanced scoring and Ovechkin wont have to shoulder the load as much as he did in previous years. He'll be top 3 in scoring for sure though as long as he's healthy (which he has been his first 4 yrs).

they're defense isnt exactly that great. after Mike Green and Tom Poti. everybody else doesnt exactly stand out for me, esp. in a fast paced Easternconference.

bobby1109, i think i heard Dubinsky was gonna center the first line. however, that was before his contract hold-out issues.

and the power rankings are a bit deceiving because of the person that is writing them. How are the Florida Panthers, LA Kings in front of teams likeDallas, Vancouver, Montreal.

just wait for the Leafs fans to come in here and say they're a legit cup threat. With Stalberg winning the calder
laugh.gif

Now I haven't been following hockey nearly as much as I used to, but @$% happened to the Avalanche?

Originally Posted by jrp44

Now I haven't been following hockey nearly as much as I used to, but @$% happened to the Avalanche?

well, Joe Sakic left, Forsberg is gone. their goaltending is very much in question. Paul Stastny needs to stay healthy

they're in re-building mode, because their farm system doesnt exactly have any big impact players coming up in the next years

i don't think Carter is a one hit wonder but we'll see....

i would love to have foppa back. Foppa setting up Gagne
pimp.gif
. Giroux settingup Carter
pimp.gif
. and Briere w/ Richards
pimp.gif

The pens may not have the best regular season but it is all about playoff time. I can see Crosby having a bit of a down year but Malkin will have another MVPone (and win it this time)

THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS HAVE SENT CODY HODGSON BACK TO THE BRAMPTON BATTALION OF THE OHL.

Looks like he'll be putting up 100+ points this year......injury really did it for him IMO.

THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS HAVE CLAIMED ROB SCHREMP ON WAIVERS FROM THE EDMONTON OILERS.

He needed to go to a team like the NYI so he can score and put up points and be a -40
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by cquan05

THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS HAVE SENT CODY HODGSON BACK TO THE BRAMPTON BATTALION OF THE OHL.
Looks like he'll be putting up 100+ points this year......injury really did it for him IMO.

I really thought they'd keep him around for at least the 9 game tryout.

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

gabs can get 52 but idk if he'll stay healthy, division is tuff.....speaking of division, theatlantic is gonna be nuts this year.

looking at your scorers prediction i dont see hartnell(i think hes gonna get 25-30)
nerd.gif
you got gagne twice.

flyers goals prediction
carter 40+
gagne 30-40
hartnell 25-30
richards 25-30
giroux 20-25
briere 20-25
JvR 15-25

You're out of your mind if you think everyone on that list aside from Richards and Carter are going to score that amount of goals.

why? Hartnell hit 30 last year. gagne (if healthy) usually hits 30-40. Briere (if healthy) is a 20 goal scorer. judging how Giroux played last part of theseason i think he'll hit 20-25. JvR is a toss up. plus Stevens is a offensive coach, he had one 40+, three 30, two 20 goal scorers last season.

Back
Top Bottom