Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

I'm pumped for tonight...Caps vs. B's...

only thing is I have a 14 hour work day today, and I don't get out until around 9:15-9:30....

DVR FTW!!!

CSNFlyer Betts signed!! Will play and center the 4th line.13 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

pimp.gif

gameday
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
I always thought your username was in some way related to DBZ Goku.

And BTW no more Shanny for us...
[h1]Shanahan, Devils part ways[/h1]
Thursday, 10.01.2009 / 1:37 PM / News

By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

[h1]Shanahan leaves his mark[/h1]
sutter_brandon_canes_celebrates_325x183.jpg

Long before he signed with the New Jersey Devils as an undrafted free agent in 2005, David Clarkson was learning the fundamentals under the tutelage of Brendan Shanahan.

Both Clarkson and Chicago Blackhawks forward Dave Bolland both attended Brendan Shanahan's Hockey School at the Lakeshore Arena in Canada in the mid-1990s as kids.

"I did if for three or four years and it was amazing," Clarkson told NHL.com. "It's funny when I look back on it now because at the end of the hockey school each year, Shanny would hand out a stick to a kid that had the best week and I almost ended up getting a stick every year. I still have those gold aluminum sticks at home today so it's pretty special."

It had to feel just like old times last season with the Devils when Clarkson had an opportunity to play on the same forward line with Shanahan and Dainius Zubrus -- the team's most productive checking unit in 2008-09.

"Shanny has so many great stories and he's been through it all," Clarkson said. "There's a lot you can learn from a guy like that. He dishes and moves the puck so well and can see the ice; he's never lost that and it's a huge part of his game."

-- Mike G. Morreale
It appears the future is now in New Jersey.

Why else would veteran forward Brendan Shanahan and the Devils part ways Thursday after the 40-year-old left wing had just signed a $1 million contract to return to New Jersey in August?

According to Devils President/CEO/GM Lou Lamoriello, the emergence of several prospects, including wingers Niclas Bergfors and Matt Halischuk, and the acquisitions of Rob Niedermayer and Ilkka Pikkarainen, played a big role in Thursday's decision.

Bergfors and Halischuk each starred for the Devils' American Hockey League affiliate in Lowell last season, combining for 36 goals and 80 points.

"Certain players have to play, they have to grow," Lamoriello told reporters. "And there's only one way for that to happen, and that's for them to be in the lineup. Especially with what we have seen of them in training camp from Day One."

While Shanahan remains on the 23-player roster for now, Lamoriello told the media following Thursday's practice that a final decision will be made later. Shanahan, who was a no-show at New Jersey's morning skate Thursday at Prudential Center, explained his decision via a prepared statement through by the Devils.

"I have decided not to continue with the New Jersey Devils for my 22nd NHL season," Shanahan said in the statement. "When I signed this past summer, Lou Lamoriello, Jacques Lemaire, and I agreed that if we were unable to find a suitable fit in which I would be able to compete and contribute at the level I expect from myself, then I would simply step aside."

Shanahan ranks 11th all-time with 656 goals -- first among active players in the League -- and 23rd all-time in points with 1,354 -- second among active players. He posted 6 goals and 14 points in 34 games last season after being acquired by Lamoriello last January 10.

"I have great respect for Lou, Jacques and the entire Devils organization," Shanahan's statement continued. "The decision was both mutual and amicable."

"I have decided not to continue with the New Jersey Devils for my 22nd NHL season. When I signed this past summer, Lou Lamoriello, Jacques Lemaire, and I agreed that if we were unable to find a suitable fit in which I would be able to compete and contribute at the level I expect from myself, then I would simply step aside." - Brendan Shanahan
It's still uncertain whether or not Shanahan will latch on to another team or just call it quits at this stage of his career.

"I am planning to spend the next couple of weeks with my family to reflect on and evaluate my plans for the future," he said. "Most importantly, I would like to thank my former teammates and wish them the best of luck for this season."

The sticking point came when Shanahan learned he would not be receiving a significant amount of playing time on any of the team's top three lines -- something he anticipated after speaking with coach Jacque Lemaire during the offseason. A reduced role obviously was something that didn't sit well with the eight-time NHL All-Star.

"This past summer we sat down and spoke about him coming back, both he and I and he and Jacques sat down and looked at the big picture as far as the coming season and at that given time with the makeup of our team, the role that Brendan wanted to play, and certainly felt he could and we also did too was a certain role," Lamoriello told the Bergen Record. "Over the past several days, Brendan and I, as well as Jacques, have had conversations that the unexpected has transpired, the emergence of several of our young players at a level that for them to go to the minors would not be in our best interest as progression and getting better and also as far as the team goes."

I have DirectTV and I don't have VS.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
So much for trying to follow Hockey again
frown.gif

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Originally Posted by jrp44

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
frown.gif
you can get Center Ice for free if you call up DirectTV and complain
i did this last night, mother *%%$!* tried to offer me $15 credit at first, i just laughed and had the guy transfer me to someone else and i endedup with $150 credit so i didnt get it for free but $10 Center Ice is ok with me.

Originally Posted by J1GOKU

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
frown.gif
i did this last night, mother *%%$!* tried to offer me $15 credit at first, i just laughed and had the guy transfer me to someone else and i ended up with $150 credit so i didnt get it for free but $10 Center Ice is ok with me.
eek.gif
eek.gif

You guys serious?? What do I say when I call?

Originally Posted by Proshares

laugh.gif
I always thought your username was in some way related to DBZ Goku.

And BTW no more Shanny for us...
i like DBZ but im more of Vegeta fan
laugh.gif

and im pretty bummed Shanny is gone, its just came out of nowhere.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
frown.gif
i did this last night, mother *%%$!* tried to offer me $15 credit at first, i just laughed and had the guy transfer me to someone else and i ended up with $150 credit so i didnt get it for free but $10 Center Ice is ok with me.
eek.gif
eek.gif

just mention thats theres a lot of games you'll miss because of this versus/comcast situation and i said that ive been a long time directv customer and ifthey did me wrong here i'd switch to verizon or dish network. and the guy said he couldnt give it to me for free but he'd give me $150 credit. it waspretty easy. also dont forget to say that your friend/neighbor was offered Center Ice for free.

i probably could of gotten it for free but i wasnt bout to waste my time arguing with this guy for 10 bucks.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
frown.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

just mention thats theres a lot of games you'll miss because of this versus/comcast situation and i said that ive been a long time directv customer and if they did me wrong here i'd switch to verizon or dish network. and the guy said he couldnt give it to me for free but he'd give me $150 credit. it was pretty easy. also dont forget to say that your friend/neighbor was offered Center Ice for free.

i probably could of gotten it for free but i wasnt bout to waste my time arguing with this guy for 10 bucks.
Thanks man Im about to try this tonight

DREGER: TOP 10 IMPACT ROOKIES IN 2009-10 SEASON
Number 10:

Jonas Gustavsson. The "Monster" is a prototypical late bloomer. The 24-year-old's pre-season was hampered by a heart procedure, but we saw enough to see the talent that led Farjestad to the Swedish Elite League title last season.

Number 9:

Erik Karlsson. The Senators' 19-year-old defenseman has the potential to be the Sens' power play quarterback this season. He's highly skilled with the puck and once he learns the defensive aspects of the NHL game, he will make an impact.

Number 8:

Matt Gilroy. The Rangers signed the 25-year old defenceman this summer as a free agent and describe Gilroy as an outstanding skater who is expected to push the pace of the game, spend time on New York's power play and contribute offensively.

Number 7:

Semyon Varlamov. Last year's playoff revelation could very easily win the Calder Trophy this season. The Capitals say the number one job belongs to Jose Theodore, but Varlamov's 13 straight postseason starts last spring indicate the 21-year old is ready for a bigger role.

Number 6:

Matt Duchene. Colorado's first choice, third overall in June's entry draft, Duchene is Colorado's second line centre and the 18-year-old doesn't appear to have many challengers capable of bumping him out of that role.

Number 5:

Ville Leino. The 25-year-old forward showed enough in a combined 20 regular season and playoff games last season for Red Wings coach Mike Babcock to pencil him in, full time, alongside Jason Williams and Valtteri Filppula.

Number 4:

James Van Riemsdyk. Drafted second overall in 2007, Philadelphia questioned the big forward's competitiveness; but the 20-year-old has erased those concerns with an inspired performance during training camp.

Number 3:

Nikita Filatov. The Blue Jackets believe Filatov should be good for at least 40 points. That might be conservative based on the 19-year old's speed and quick hands. He scored four goals in eight games last season - including a hat-trick against Minnesota.

Number 2:

John Tavares: The Islanders have been careful not to burden Tavares with sky-high expectations. But Tavares accepts the fact that all eyes will be watching. Some question the 19-year-old's skating but nobody questions the OHL's all-time goal leader's ability to score.

Number 1:

Victor Hedman: Tampa Bay needs something good to dominate the headlines and Hedman has been nothing but a good news story. The 18-year-old defenceman has demonstrated extraordinary poise to go along with excellent skating and passing skills.

These ten men are Calder Trophy contenders in a field of NHL rookies that league executives deem to be as strong as we've seen in many years.

not a great first period for either team, really. caps converted on the ******ed bruins penalty tho...we need to be smarter than that

Back
Top Bottom