Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

Just saw on the post game show on Versus that Auger thought that Burrows was faking the blow to the head from a previous game he had officiated betweenNashville and Vancouver. Said Auger told him it made him look bad and he was going to get him back for it.

Another SHO for Marty.

marty broduer tonight
pimp.gif

gotta gives props to king henry as well...that elias shot was major

I was too lazy to type about this last night, but Ovechkin dropped the gloves and squared up w. Steve Downie.....but then Matt Bradley flew in and jumpedDownie. Downie and AO had a history from earlier in the game....it was actually the 2nd time they dropped the gloves, but the refs were quick to break up thefirst one.....

can't wait for the rematch cause the Bolts manhandled the Caps on the scoreboard and from a physical aspect....Man, I wish they made a move for Chris Neilwhen they had the chance....Caps need a somewhat skilled enforcer on the team...

^ Peeped that last night, knew you'd chime in
laugh.gif
. Bradley came outof no where though and tried to tackle Downie
laugh.gif

[h2]Source: Burrows fined $2,500[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Vancouver Canucks forward Alexandre Burrows has been fined $2,500 by the league for his comments regarding a referee, a source confirmed Wednesday to ESPN.com.

A statement from the league is expected to be released later in the day.

No discipline was levied on referee Stephane Auger, who is working tonight, the source said. NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell spoke with each of the parties separately Tuesday night.

Burrows accused Auger of targeting him in the Canucks' 3-2 loss to the Nashville Predators in Vancouver on Monday.

Burrows said Monday that Auger told him during the pregame warm-up he was going to "get me back" for a Dec. 8 incident that left Burrows lying on the ice but able to return for his next shift.

Nashville's Jerred Smithson received a major and game misconduct penalty for charging Burrows in that game, but the call was later overturned by the league because it said Burrows took a dive.

On Monday, Auger called Burrows for diving and interference in the third period, leaving him to watch from the penalty box when Shea Weber scored the winner for the Predators.

The disputed interference penalty ended a Vancouver power play after just 4 seconds, and a penalty on Henrik Sedin left the Canucks short a man before Weber's 4-on-3 goal.

An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and 10-minute misconduct followed for Burrows with 4 seconds left.

After Backes fought Toews, Toews threw up twice in the penalty box.

I mentioned that to Blues enforcer Cam Janssen today and he said, "No way, did he really?"

Derek Armstrong jumped in the conversation and said: "Oh yeah, if you're not used to it, you'll throw up. Cam, it would be like you playing 20 minutes in a game . . . you would puke!"

"You had go there, eh?" Janssen said, laughing.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by cquan05

I mentioned that to Blues enforcer Cam Janssen today and he said, "No way, did he really?"

Derek Armstrong jumped in the conversation and said: "Oh yeah, if you're not used to it, you'll throw up. Cam, it would be like you playing 20 minutes in a game . . . you would puke!"

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif

Toews got his !%@ handed to him tho....if you got the "C" on the sweater, every once in a while you gotta drop the mitts.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by cquan05

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Toews got his !%@ handed to him tho....if you got the "C" on the sweater, every once in a while you gotta drop the mitts.

I dunno..........I thought Toewser did a decent job, he didn't really get "dropped" and he was trading shots with Backes back and forth (no'mo). Was good to even see him drop the gloves too, that wasn't really a situation where he needed to do that.

bleh you missed a disapointer. We led 2-1, and 3-2, and lost 4-3.
frown.gif
Effort was there, just one or two mistakes that led to goals.

We need a full on explosion of effort tonight. This is one of those games that can turn things around. But i'm seriously looking forward to the olympicbreak so we can rest up and get back a full team for the first time since like game 2.
sick.gif

NHL going up against the NFL playoffs in their first game of the week? Who planned that one...
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

yeah i had it on gamecast. rollercoaster of a game. ill be able to see tonights at the bar tho. like you said, a win would be huge for us going forward.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Kovalchuk, Ovechkin to KHL?[/h2]January 13, 2010

BY MIKE BROPHY
sportsnet.ca

Could the lure of $20 million a season cause Ilya Kovalchuk to leave the NHL and return home to play in the KHL?

At least one NHL general manager thinks it is possible.
ovechkin_kovalchuk_big_381.jpg

"(Alexander) Medvedev is on a mission," said the GM, who requested anonymity. "He's paying (Sergei) Fedorov $14 million this season so how much do you think he'd pay to get Kovalchuk? Twenty million a season? That's what I've heard."

Medvedev is the president of the Kontinental Hockey League.

Considering players in the KHL do not pay taxes, nor do they pay escrow like they do in the NHL, if this is true then Kovalchuk stands to make a lot more playing in Russia than he could in North America. Not only that, there has been speculation NHL players could face another salary rollback during the next collective bargaining agreement talks.

Kovalchuk, currently 11th in NHL scoring with 26 goals and 50 points in 39 games, is in the midst of contact negotiations with the Atlanta Thrashers and there is all kind of speculation the team will trade him if they cannot get his signature on an extension. It has been reported he is looking for in the neighborhood of $10 million a season for 10 years.

Said one NHL player: "That is impressive. For one year, wow, that's like six-to-seven years here after taxes."

Considering the Thrashers are struggling at the gate, it seems highly unlikely they could pay one player that kind of money - unless, of course, they sign him in order to sell the franchise. There is speculation the owners would like to sell the team and they suspect it is worth more with him than without him.

A number of teams have expressed interest in acquiring Kovalchuk, but they must decide if they first need to get his name on a contract as part of the deal or can they risk taking him as a rental player only to have him leave at the end of the year. It could be costly to a team to trade for him and then have him bolt in the off-season, the way Marian Hossa did after his short stint with Pittsburgh two years ago.

Kovalchuk isn't the only player in the sights of the KHL. A source told sportsnet.ca Washington's Alexander Ovechkin is so upset about having to pay 18 per cent of his salary to escrow he is prepared to consider leaving the Capitals after this season. Sources say Ovechkin expressed his displeasure with having to pay escrow during an NHLPA conference call meant to talk about the direction of the organization.

What are the odds of this?

roll.gif
ain't a chance in hell Ovechkin goes to the KHL....

EVERY Russian player is linked there at some point or another....that league is for washed up NHL players and guys in limbo....no #@!*+$@ way
laugh.gif

I love those ATL blue jerseys...
pimp.gif

I dont see AO leaving, cause I think Bettman will offer him League Ownership before he lets him go to the KHL.
laugh.gif

I stick by what I said before that I dont think Kovalchuk is as important to the NHL. The casual hockey fan hasnt heard of it, or never did until thisyear/maybe the end of last year, which is for no reason other than hes in ATL and not Chicago, Detriot, DC, LA, NY, Boston, etc. He could go over there, make4x what he pulls in over here, and be the face of the entire sport of Hockey in Russia.

So apparently Garth Snow left a message w/Waddell that if he's hearing offers for Kovalchuk to keep his number close
laugh.gif

Hot of the presses:

Theo Fleury filed criminial complaint against junior coach Graham James alleging sexual abuse.

How about Wayne Simmonds beating Getzlaf's *%$ last night?
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Getzlaf has like 3 inches and close to 40 pounds on the kid, and he still got beat....

I won't say anything about that Brookbank fight, but he was 1/2 last night....good stuff....gonna have to get that Simmonds jersey in the next couple ofweeks.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

How about Wayne Simmonds beating Getzlaf's *%$ last night?
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Getzlaf has like 3 inches and close to 40 pounds on the kid, and he still got beat....

I won't say anything about that Brookbank fight, but he was 1/2 last night....good stuff....gonna have to get that Simmonds jersey in the next couple of weeks.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom