Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

Columbus beating the stuffing out of Chicago tonight. Like I said before Quenville has his goalie, why play Huet? Get your playoff goalie ready you dumb $%$.

bouch is terrible
smh.gif
they should just give douch a chance and start he cant do any worse than bouch

^They showed some heart tonight. Kept pushing and eventually your boy Drury tied it up. They're only 3 points behind Boston, crazier things have happened.

So I'm looking back at my predictions from the start of the season...

The good ones...

Stats will be deflated this season due to injuries and fatigue due tothe crammed schedule. The 2-week Olympic break will have a huge impacton how the seasonplays out.
I think that the Red Wings have an "off year" by their standards and they start to decline.
There wont be any 50-goal scorers but Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Heatley will score 40+.
The bad...
Pittsburgh will suffer a Stanley Cup hangover and finish between 5th-8th in the East.
No shot at playoffs whatsoever - NY Islanders, Atlanta Thrashers, Florida Panthers, Buffalo Sabres

The ugly...
Not shot at playoffs whatsoever - Colorado, Phoenix, LA Kings, Predators, Minny

laugh.gif
smh.gif

Per TSN Anonymous players poll

Most Overrated player in the league

1) Roberto Luongo 6%
2)Phaneuf,Avery,Lecavalier, Bouwmeester 4%

Other poll results

BEST PLAYER
Alex Ovechkin 64%
Sidney Crosby 24%
Evgeni Malkin, Henrik Zetterberg 4%
Pavel Datsyuk, Joe Thornton 2%

BEST FRANCHISE
Detroit 60%
Pittsburgh 14%
Montreal 12%
New Jersey 8%
NY Rangers, Chicago 4%

WORST FRANCHISE
Phoenix 28%
Atlanta 18%
Islanders 14%
Edmonton 12%
Florida 10%

WHO WILL WIN THE STANLEY CUP?
Chicago 32%
Pittsburgh, San Jose 16%
Washington 14%
Detroit, New Jersey 8%

And some other highlights:

Smartest Coach: Mike Bab****, Red Wings 22%
Last coach they would want to play for: John Tortorella, Rangers 18%
Dirtiest player Pronger 22%

Big win today.

I saw the heart/effort of last year for a lot of today's game. Keep it up boys.

Eff a Tuukka, future is now with Timmy.
pimp.gif

Great win against the much hated Flyers. We still don't look impressive though. Jersey with the win so nothing changes point wise
ohwell.gif

On a side note...
Winter Classic likely at Heinz Field

Sunday, March 28, 2010

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A few details still have to be addressed, but things are falling into place for the Penguins and Washington to play the NHL's 2011 Winter Classic at Heinz Field Jan. 1.

There is no word on when an official announcement will come. The NHL traditionally does not make one until mid-summer, around the time the coming season's schedule is released.

Neither the Penguins nor the league will confirm that the game will played here.

It takes approximately two weeks to build and prepare an outdoor rink like the kind used in the NHL's New Year's Day games, so the Steelers' schedule will have to be tailored to allow for that work to be done.

They are expected to play a home game Thursday, Dec. 23, then finish the regular season on the road the following weekend. NFL schedules will be released next month.

There will be a "rain date" set in the event the game cannot be played outdoors Jan. 1, but it is not known if that has been done yet.

PNC Park has been ruled out as a possible site for the game and, from all indications, never was a serious candidate to play host to it, primarily because of the larger seating capacity at Heinz Field.

The Penguins played at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo in the inaugural Winter Classic in 2008. They defeated the Sabres, 2-1, in a shootout, with Sidney Crosby scoring the deciding goal.

For more on the Penguins, read the Pens Plus blog with Dave Molinari and Shelly Anderson at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Dave Molinari: [email protected].

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10087/1046280-61.stm#ixzz0jU8enzPo

If the Penguins get another Winter Classic I will not watch one second of it... There are 29 other teams, its not just the Pittsburgh freaking Penguins.

they will probably get their way too, smh.

Watching the Wings hit their stride right now is a very good thing. The top liners are playing well and the D is starting to show up. Happy we got out of the 8th spot and would be happy because I do not want to see SJ in the first round. Too big for us.

Being a Ducks fan, I would LOVE to see a Wings-Sharks first round series. Either way though, I would be happy to see one of them lose, but the Sharks losing again in the first round would be hilarious. Plus, I think Detroit has a better shot against them then the Hawks or Nucks.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

If the Penguins get another Winter Classic I will not watch one second of it... There are 29 other teams, its not just the Pittsburgh freaking Penguins.

laugh.gif
I can just picture you at your monitor when you read that
e22255046279067ab01f993304fd528e658f7eb.gif

Sounds like the League is trying to promote the two most recognizable names in the sport. I would like to see other teams get a crack at it, but plain and simple this sport is trying to gain viewers. Something tells me there aren't a whole lot of teams that can pull that off.

If the Penguins get another Winter Classic I will not watch one secondof it... There are 29 other teams, its not just the Pittsburgh freakingPenguins.

It will probably be Caps/Pens, that's the best matchup for the sport, and I'm guessing you will be watching

Unfortunate PNC isn't bigger for it, but Heinz will be cool.  I still think a Flyers Pens in Happy Valley would've been the coolest

Caps are going thru the motions now....playing disinterested hockey. All I know is these guys better get their heads out of their behinds by the time the playoffs roll around.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

laugh.gif
I can just picture you at your monitor when you read that
e22255046279067ab01f993304fd528e658f7eb.gif

Sounds like the League is trying to promote the two most recognizable names in the sport. I would like to see other teams get a crack at it, but plain and simple this sport is trying to gain viewers. Something tells me there aren't a whole lot of teams that can pull that off.
there are other stars in this sport... its not just Ovechkin and Crosby.

Well yeah, Malkin as well.......

Seriously though, you are correct but hockey has to push their top stars to get as many viewers as possible to get into the game. Anyone watching the Miami Michigan contest on ESPNU? Tied at 2, third period, winner goes to the Frozen Four

got game 1 coyotes playoff tickets on friday...copped game 1 for 35 bucks a piece
pimp.gif
so pumped and happy to see hockey actually catching on his in AZ

big week for the bruins coming up...sabres, devils, panthers, leafs...i think it's pretty imperative to get at least 6 points out of this stretch. still gotta play the caps twice before the season is out too
smh.gif

I agree, but the league seems to be lacking when it comes to promoting its star players. Crosby & Ovechkin are known names to the casual fan and that's where NBC is trying to reel in viewers. I think the NHL should start a new add campaign promoting each star in the league. Get the ad agency that creates for Nike's commercials to put together spots.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

I agree, but the league seems to be lacking when it comes to promoting its star players. Crosby & Ovechkin are known names to the casual fan and that's where NBC is trying to reel in viewers. I think the NHL should start a new add campaign promoting each star in the league. Get the ad agency that creates for Nike's commercials to put together spots.
yeah i think you could have some success putting together spots for some american stars. i think kane would work well. lot of people saw what he can do in the olympics.

this.
fkxrbl_th.jpg
Crosbaby and the Pens
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
 (yes, im still mad about the game other night
laugh.gif
)

How about trying to get some other young big names out, like Getzlaf, Kane, Nash, Parise, etc????

It's an outdoor game so it's going to get high ratings no matter who's playing. If they want to market the game to get more fans then they would drop Verses and go w. ESPN.

Devils vs _____ wouldbe good, Parise vs American #2. The NHL needs to focus on an American rivalry.

Back
Top Bottom