Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

Originally Posted by msaba07

and as for the matter at hand, i'm curious to see what other fans think of our defense ... because i cant be the only person who thinks schultz is the worst defenseman in the league ...

if it were me, in the playoffs id have to go with (Carlson and Poti) (Morrison and Green) (Corvo and Erskine, Jurcina if healthy)

and dont go giving me the talk, save that for someone who doesnt watch the games ... schultz is a BUM and Sloan is just as bad ...
I've turned a 180 on Schultz...he's actually our best defensive defenseman.  He's 2nd in the league in and he is the sole reason why Mike Green can creep up in the rush.  Schultz is not bad at all.  It's frustrating that he doesn't use his body more cause he's 6'6" and 240 pounds....however, he always has great position, timely poke checks, and generally plays a smart overall game. 

Tyler Sloan is just a body.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Also, as high as I am on Carlson, he's not quite ready to get top-4 d man minutes...especially with the playoffs rolling around.  I like him as the 5th-6th defenseman right now.  That's a lot of pressure to put on a rookie.  Erskine is a HUGE liability due to his lack of speed.  Yeah, he's the only guy on the defense who will drop the gloves, but I hope his role is diminished when the 2nd season comes up in a few weeks.  This team is built to win right now, and we haven't looked good since the olympic break.  Hopefully they all get their heads out of their behinds...because as of right now (with the way they are playing) they are primed to be upset in the 1st or 2nd round.  I just don't want DC to turn into San Jose, East. 
smh.gif

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

well...i know we have the caps twice before the season is out. so i hope your lack luster play continues for our sake
laugh.gif

as far as who we play, im more concerned about getting in to the playoffs than who. but i would honestly take my chances with the caps or pens. our downfall has been offense, imo. i think if we sit timmy and play tuukka, we have a shot to beat both the pens and caps in the playoffs. it's a brickwall goalie that i dont want to face (broduer or miller). thats just me tho, i know many won't agree
roll.gif
come on man, get on this planet ... your downfall has been offense and you would take your chances against the caps or pens? both teams will skate you out of the rink ... you cant score and you think you have a chance against the caps? and tuukka is the reason why? not in a series ...

well...i know we have the caps twice before the season is out. so i hope your lack luster play continues for our sake
laugh.gif

as far as who we play, im more concerned about getting in to the playoffs than who. but i would honestly take my chances with the caps or pens. our downfall has been offense, imo. i think if we sit timmy and play tuukka, we have a shot to beat both the pens and caps in the playoffs. it's a brickwall goalie that i dont want to face (broduer or miller). thats just me tho, i know many won't agree
roll.gif
come on man, get on this planet ... your downfall has been offense and you would take your chances against the caps or pens? both teams will skate you out of the rink ... you cant score and you think you have a chance against the caps? and tuukka is the reason why? not in a series ...
like i said, many won't agree. and yeah, the goalie with the lowest GAA is the reason why i think we have a shot to beat teams who are amazing on offense, but not AS good on the defensive end. don't take it as me taking a shot at the caps, i know they're a helluva team. i just see us having more of a shot against teams we can actually score on. that's all.

Originally Posted by True Blues

Originally Posted by Never Seen B4

can the caps please beat the thrashers tonight? please
laugh.gif

Do you really want to face us in the first round? With the lousy play we have been producing lately it's conceivable thatwe won't win any of our remaining regular season games
smh.gif

It's not ideal to finsih the season like this for any team, these guys actually believe they can just turn it on come playoff time. I am worried about that team fighting for the 8th spot because they start the playoffs amped. Caps need to wake the $$@# up quick!

Three-team tie for 6.

If not the Capitals, I would love to see the B's sneak into 6 and play the Pens in the first round.

laugh.gif
or you might get Buffalo and not score again until next season starts.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

if it were me, in the playoffs id have to go with (Carlson Corvo and Poti) (Morrison and Green) (Corvo Carlson and Erskine, Jurcina if healthy)
I've turned a 180 on Schultz...he's actually our best defensive defenseman.  He's 2nd in the league in and he is the sole reason why Mike Green can creep up in the rush.  Schultz is not bad at all.  It's frustrating that he doesn't use his body more cause he's 6'6" and 240 pounds....however, he always has great position, timely poke checks, and generally plays a smart overall game. 

Tyler Sloan is just a body.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Also, as high as I am on Carlson, he's not quite ready to get top-4 d man minutes...especially with the playoffs rolling around.  I like him as the 5th-6th defenseman right now.  That's a lot of pressure to put on a rookie.  Erskine is a HUGE liability due to his lack of speed.  Yeah, he's the only guy on the defense who will drop the gloves, but I hope his role is diminished when the 2nd season comes up in a few weeks.  This team is built to win right now, and we haven't looked good since the olympic break.  Hopefully they all get their heads out of their behinds...because as of right now (with the way they are playing) they are primed to be upset in the 1st or 2nd round. 
man i wish you were right, but there is no way in hell schultz is better defensively than morrison or even poti ... at least poti can poke check from the crease to the blue line lol ... schultz is so damn slow and awkward he is a liability ... when we give up goals it's usually him and greeny on the ice, which can partly be greens fault but schultz loses too many one on one battles ... glad to see bruce has changed it up recently though ...

I am partial to people who drop the gloves so i give the nod to erskine, especially with the extra shots ovis been taking lately, unless jurcina somehow is feeling 100% and hasnt lost a step ... they would both be playing on the 3rd d line so we arent asking them to be world beaters ... i think corvo/poti green/morrison carlson/whoevernotnamedsloanorschultz would give us the best chance to win ...

Have Corvo and Poti been playing together? That's a disaster waiting to happen, two offensive minded defensemen who creep in? Any wingers with speed will have 2 on 0's straight up the boards if they make a mistake.

if it were me, in the playoffs id have to go with (Carlson Corvo and Poti) (Morrison and Green) (Corvo Carlson and Erskine, Jurcina if healthy)

Tyler Sloan is just a body.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Also, as high as I am on Carlson, he's not quite ready to get top-4 d man minutes...especially with the playoffs rolling around.  I like him as the 5th-6th defenseman right now.  That's a lot of pressure to put on a rookie.  Erskine is a HUGE liability due to his lack of speed.  Yeah, he's the only guy on the defense who will drop the gloves, but I hope his role is diminished when the 2nd season comes up in a few weeks.  This team is built to win right now, and we haven't looked good since the olympic break.  Hopefully they all get their heads out of their behinds...because as of right now (with the way they are playing) they are primed to be upset in the 1st or 2nd round. 
man i wish you were right, but there is no way in hell schultz is better defensively than morrison or even poti ... at least poti can poke check from the crease to the blue line lol ... schultz is so damn slow and awkward he is a liability ... when we give up goals it's usually him and greeny on the ice, which can partly be greens fault but schultz loses too many one on one battles ... glad to see bruce has changed it up recently though ...

I am partial to people who drop the gloves so i give the nod to erskine, especially with the extra shots ovis been taking lately, unless jurcina somehow is feeling 100% and hasnt lost a step ... they would both be playing on the 3rd d line so we arent asking them to be world beaters ... i think corvo/poti green/morrison carlson/whoevernotnamedsloanorschultz would give us the best chance to win ...
Again...look at Schultz's +38....it's no coincidence he's up there in plus/minus (2nd in the league)

He gets a lot of hate because he isn't physical and he's as big as Chris Pronger.  I think once the Caps fanbase accepted that the physical part of the game isn't in Schultz's makeup, people saw that he's damn good in his own end of the rink without having to play the body like Scott Stevens.  You can maybe make a case for Poti being our best defensive d-man, but Schultz is definitely in that discussion. 

As far as Erskine, I don't know what his role will be come playoff time.  If you notice, he's usually scratched against teams that have good speed (and this is when you see Tyler Sloan).  This team doesn't fight much anyways, and in the playoffs fighting is almost non-existent.  Yeah, he's a physical presence in front of the net, but he's also a liability because he's got slow feet.  I think he'll be the 6th/7th d-man, but I would expect a couple of healthy scratches on his record in April/May/(and hopefully) June.

My pairings:

Schultz - Green
Poti - Corvo
Carlson - Morrisson

Scratches:

Erskine/Sloan

like i said, many won't agree. and yeah, the goalie with the lowest GAA is the reason why i think we have a shot to beat teams who are amazing on offense, but not AS good on the defensive end. don't take it as me taking a shot at the caps, i know they're a helluva team. i just see us having more of a shot against teams we can actually score on. that's all.
i mean obviously, a goalie who stands on his head can save any team, but even the caps beat miller after the olympic break ... and please dont act like joe zay isnt as good as any goalie when hes on his game ... he can very well have a miller moment and no team would have a chance ... when faced with playing the caps or another team, i think you should rather play the other team ...

Again...look at Schultz's +38....it's no coincidence he's up there in plus/minus (2nd in the league)

He gets a lot of hate because he isn't physical and he's as big as Chris Pronger.  I think once the Caps fanbase accepted that the physical part of the game isn't in Schultz's makeup, people saw that he's damn good in his own end of the rink without having to play the body like Scott Stevens.  You can maybe make a case for Poti being our best defensive d-man, but Schultz is definitely in that discussion. 

As far as Erskine, I don't know what his role will be come playoff time.  If you notice, he's usually scratched against teams that have good speed (and this is when you see Tyler Sloan).  This team doesn't fight much anyways, and in the playoffs fighting is almost non-existent.  Yeah, he's a physical presence in front of the net, but he's also a liability because he's got slow feet.  I think he'll be the 6th/7th d-man, but I would expect a couple of healthy scratches on his record in April/May/(and hopefully) June.

My pairings:

Schultz - Green
Poti - Corvo
Carlson - Morrisson

Scratches:

Erskine/Sloan
he's up there in cuz hes usually on the ice with back and ovi ... i just cant get behind someone who would get beat one on one by nearly EVERY front linesman in the league ... he has been taking too many penalties as of late and has scored on his own goal twice in recent memory ... he is a stiff and a liability ... i am not on the same page with you on this
laugh.gif
... i might hate schultz more than i hate, well ... ... ... let's not go there ...

sloan better not even see a jersey in the playoffs ... and im not giving up on jurcina ...

i mean obviously, a goalie who stands on his head can save any team, but even the caps beat miller after the olympic break ... and please dont act like joe zay isnt as good as any goalie when hes on his game ... he can very well have a miller moment and no team would have a chance ... when faced with playing the caps or another team, i think you should rather play the other team ...

How often has that happened in the last two years though?  I'd have more faith in Raask getting hot that Theodore.  

we'll see i guess. unfortunately, neither of us have any say in the matter
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

How often has that happened in the last two years though?  I'd have more faith in Raask getting hot that Theodore.  
o i dunno, just this season joezay had a stretch where he went 17-0-2 or something like that ...
ohwell.gif

He won 10 in a row w/Neuvirth getting 3 wins in between allowed 2.7 and got 5.5 of goal support a game. That's not the kind of hot streak I'm talking about. I'm referring to a playoff hot streak a la a Turco or Luongo or Miller or even Nabby in the last couple years off the top of my head. When your team is struggling to score and you have to stand on your head. That's the kinda streak I'm referring to.

Rask had a streak where in 9 games he lost 2 had a GAA of 1.66 and goal support of only 3.1.

o i dunno, just this season joezay had a stretch where he went 17-0-2 or something like that ...
ohwell.gif
just curious...how many goals did the caps score on that stretch? i'm just saying. maybe his GAA was 2 something. but when you're team scores goals like there is no tomorrow, racking up wins for goalies isn't tough. then you have goalies like king henrik, who give up two goals on 45 shots and lose games.

but i mean, if he gets hot in the playoffs, the caps will be unbeatable, no doubt.

EDIT: EXACTLY, bobby

joezays save percentage was near .94 if im not mistaken during that stretch ... our team cant play defense at times and our goalies take the heat ... but if you watch the caps every night, you know who is going to be between the pipes come playoff time and who gives us the best chance to win ...

I think you're the only Bruins fan I have heard say you want to face the Pens in the first round. You actually think you guys can beat them? The only team I see beating Pittsburgh in the playoffs are the Devils.

Id MUCH rather play the Pens than the Caps or Devils.. The Caps will score 4 a game on anyone. I think we can hang with the Devils but Marty is too good and too experienced to expect to beat. I feel like we can shut down the Pens for the most part and hold them to 2-3 a game, and hopefully muster up 3 ourselves. We've played them solidly for the last few years not counting the Cooke retaliation game, because everyone played like pansys.

I feel like we can take out Buffalo but come playoff time, Miller isnt gonna be shaky like he has been lately.

Honestly, I feel like we have the D/Goalie Combo to hang with anyone, except the Caps. Theyre just too dynamic.

Colby Armstrong is gonna be suspended...BLATANT elbow.

Really disappointed that someone from the Caps didn't drop him afterwards...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Never Seen B4

About damn time the Caps won a game
smh.gif

Spoiled.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Bruins getting shut out by Clemmensen.

SHUT UP!
frown.gif
This is actually his second career SO against the B's. Mr. BC product must love playing in the Garden.
laugh.gif

im about as mad as you can get as a fan ... punk dude i wish we had brashear still ... i swear i thought chimera was the goods when it came to settling @#*% but i guess not ... dude should have gotten DROPPED!

Back
Top Bottom