Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

caps tonight...great
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by OLD SCHOOL

Just a heads up, NHL.COM is offering free customizations on Jerseys for today only.

Dammit, too bad I'm kinda strapped for cash right now, I wanted to customize a Vintage Robitaille jersey.
mad.gif

^^ Then they'd have to take the prince of wales trophy to have a chance of being listed after stanley cup

Mike Green deserves the Norris....

The talk is starting to shift from murmurs of Green as a defensive liability to discussion of him as a legitimate Norris contender for the second straight year. A closer look at the ever-improving Mike Green:
  • In 15 games since the Olympic Break, Green has been a minus exactly three times
  • He regularly skates between 25 and 30 minutes, including time on both the power play and the penalty kill. In fact, he averages around five minutes a game in power play time, which is second in the league - an average of one second per game behind Mark Streit, in fact.
  • As JP pointed out last week, Duncan Keith (whose name is frequently thrown around as a Norris contender this year) has been on the ice for 11% fewer goals FOR at 5-on-5 (90 to 80) than Green. He's also been on the ice for 46% more goals AGAINST (50 to 73) than Green. All while Green sees 21% less ice time 5-on-5.
  • Green is the leader among defensemen in numerous categories: goals, assists, points, power play goals and power play assists, and is tied for second in game-winning goals. He's also second in the League in , behind only teammate (and frequent defensive partner) Schultz. It may sometimes be a skewed stat, but with as much ice time as he gets - and as much of it comes on special teams, where is void - it's not just a coincidence that his numbers are that high.
  • He registers in the League top ten in time on ice per game - he may not have the highest rating when it comes to quality of competition, but if he's playing between 25 and 30 minutes a night you know he's facing the other team's best at least some of the time.
  • His 130 hits are the third-highest total on the Capitals, as are his 104 blocked shots. Last year he had committed 95 giveaways in 68 games; this year that number is down to 73, in 5 more games played. Same with penalties - last year he could be counted on for a minor every other game (68 PIMs in 68 games), but this year he's knocked that down to 54 PIMs.

http://www.japersrink.com/

It's Green at the top and guys like Keith, Boyle, Lidstrom and Doughty way behind him.

It really sucks for Henrik Sedin when he's having a superstar season and he'll get little to no votes for Hart behind Ovie.

Originally Posted by Proshares

It's Green at the top and guys like Keith, Boyle, Lidstrom and Doughty way behind him.

It really sucks for Henrik Sedin when he's having a superstar season and he'll get little to no votes for Hart behind Ovie.

Agreed (on both parts)

I've said peace on Mike Green.  I think he was snubbed for the Olympics, and gets a lot of unwarranted hate.  No need to go into it anymore because it's beating a dead horse.  His play is clearly speaking for itself, and I hope he (rightfully) takes home the Norris this year. 

As far as Sedin...wow...one of the best playmakers in the NHL that no one talks about.  Take him off of the Canucks and they're fighting for that 8th seed.  It just goes to show how dominant Ovechkin has been this year considering all of the games he's missed due to injury/suspension.  I wouldn't be mad if either Sedin or Miller took the Hart...but I think it's going to AO for the 3rd time. 

I still don't like Green or his Modern Warfare Captain McTavish wanna be hairstyle
laugh.gif
but respect is due to him and he is the best offensive defenseman in the league (not that far ahead of Boyle IMO but I'll let that be) and a much improved defensive style.

I think Bryzgalov needs to be in the discussion for Hart and Vezina. It'll be tough between him, Miller, Marty and Kipper for the Vezina.

%%@# way for the B's to lose tonight....Wideman getting the penalty in OT was the killer....I'll take it tho
pimp.gif

I don't see how anyone is winning the Calder over Jimmy Howard. He's carried that team on his back down the stretch and moving them up the standings. He's won 17 or 21 starts since March 1st.

Just when Wideman was starting to play like someone who was almost competent...
smh.gif

Solid point though. Couldnt expect to go into Washington and beat them.

I don't see how anyone is winning the Calder over Jimmy Howard. He's carried that team on his back down the stretch and moving them up the standings. He's won 17 or 21 starts since March 1st.
Jimmy Howard isn't a rookie.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

That's funny cause he was just awarded ROTMonth.
laugh.gif

Tyler Myers man. The kid can flat out play, he is a defenseman and is 3rd in points not too far away from tavares and duchene. He also has the highest plus/minus between people who played as much or close to how many games he has played. He has been a great addition to the sabres and is helping them out a lot. I think he should get it

Well in fairness he wasnt ******ed last year and he has a of like 35.. The brass should be way more worried about getting his $4 Mil off the books than any goalie problems...

Originally Posted by Numberr97

Tyler Myers man. The kid can flat out play, he is a defenseman and is 3rd in points not too far away from tavares and duchene. He also has the highest plus/minus between people who played as much or close to how many games he has played. He has been a great addition to the sabres and is helping them out a lot. I think he should get it

There is no way Tyler Myers beats out Jimmy Howard. Howard has the award on lock and I agree with dmxfury, Sedin should win the Hart.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Yes he is.  So is Rask.  Howard may be 26 but never played more than 4 games in a season..  This is essentially his rookie season.

Myers is a sleeper pick but his noteriety outside of Buffalo is non-existant.  Most people on the outside see Miller as the only reason that team is anywhere near contention.   But he is a future star defenseman in this league.

Back
Top Bottom