Official Niketalk DJ Thread vol. NO REQUESTS

Originally Posted by Lxj

Hey guys,
Just finished a small house party gig last night.  There were around 30-40 people.  That night I was focusing on reading the crowd and trying to build it up the mood so people would start dancing.  I only got people up and into it for maybe a few minutes when I played a super popular song.  During that time people kept coming up and looking over my gear and requesting so it was difficult to keep micromanage the listeners and the people near me.  Any tips for the future in getting people into the groove? How do you tend to the people near you while continuing to do your job?
yea, annoying people do tend mess up the flow. As far as getting people dancing, its all trial and error. Make sure your sets are tight, play them for as many people as possible, note people's reactions, tweak tour sets as necessary.

Originally Posted by dj B Milk
Got a DJ buddy that does this.  He did one of my Techs.  This reminds me that I need to have him do the other deck.  Didn't take him no more than 30 minutes to do it.

Originally Posted by Lxj

Hey guys,
Just finished a small house party gig last night.  There were around 30-40 people.  That night I was focusing on reading the crowd and trying to build it up the mood so people would start dancing.  I only got people up and into it for maybe a few minutes when I played a super popular song.  During that time people kept coming up and looking over my gear and requesting so it was difficult to keep micromanage the listeners and the people near me.  Any tips for the future in getting people into the groove? How do you tend to the people near you while continuing to do your job?
yea, annoying people do tend mess up the flow. As far as getting people dancing, its all trial and error. Make sure your sets are tight, play them for as many people as possible, note people's reactions, tweak tour sets as necessary.
I don't know if its the nature of house parties that people don't dance but I guess going for just head nods is the way to go?  Its hard not to feel like an human itunes.

Originally Posted by Lxj

Hey guys,

When people come ask for request, just listen to the song they want and nod your head. Thats it. Dont try to start a conversation with them or else they'l never stop talking. You're working, no one should be trying to talk to you. You shouldnt try talking to people either. Try talking to them with your music (Make sense)? 
As far as getting them to dance, I stick to radio stuff. Remember what I said a few pages back, cater to the females as much as you can. If you get them to dance, the guys will follow. Play the girlies songs (Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna etc) Even though they just listen to the song on the radio, they wouldnt mind hearing it at the party with a bigger sound system. 

Originally Posted by Oranix

Have your own niche music as a DJ. There are too many DJs that are spinning top 40 (applying to house DJs). Look through Beatport and define your sound. No one wants to hear Afrojack from every single DJ. DJs become big because they have a different sound than others. If you're playing all the popular songs, you're just the same as every other DJ. If you play Electro house, stick to that. if you play Progressive House, stick to that. My 2 cents.

On that note, I just made a mix. Prolly defines my sound as House/Bass music. It's all about the basslines. So definitely listen with subs. I see a lot of people putting mainstream hits in their mixes, so hopefully these new sounds will get you guys interested in different tracks, genres, etc.

Tek Mix Vol. 14 by A.M.ai

Buoyancy (Original Mix) -A1 Bassline
Done Me Wrong -Mosca
Love In Me (Original Mix)- Laura Jones
Tric Trac - Original Mix- Worthy, Eats Everything
Hearts- George Fitzgerald
Feel U (Samo Sound Boy Remix) -Myrryrs
Silicon Drift (Dapayk Remix)- Javier Logares
Spell (Maelstrom Remix)- NOOB
Stoopit vs. Who's Afraid of Detroit (AMai Edit) - The Martin Brothers
How Goes The Dynamite? (DUB) (Dub Mix)- Justin Jay
Close To Everything (The Martin Brothers dub) -Mickey Moonlight
Slow Rush- Alfie vs A1 Bassline
Connection- Kris Wadsworth
Space Ballad (Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs Remix)- Fur Coat and Argenis Brito
It's Time- Kris Wadsworth
This is a great mix...I admit I didn't know the songs,but the whole set was mixed well and it has me interested in finding more of those type of songs. Where do you get your music from? Beatport? Juno?

Originally Posted by djaward

Originally Posted by Lxj

Hey guys,
Just finished a small house party gig last night. �There were around 30-40 people. �That night I was focusing on reading the crowd and trying to build it up the mood so people would start dancing. �I only got people up and into it for maybe a few minutes when I played a super popular song. �During that time people kept coming up and looking over my gear and requesting so it was difficult to keep micromanage the listeners and the people near me. �Any tips for the future in getting people into the groove? How do you tend to the people near you while continuing to do your job?

When people come ask for request, just listen to the song they want and nod your head. Thats it. Dont try to start a conversation with them or else they'l never stop talking. You're working, no one should be trying to talk to you. You shouldnt try talking to people either. Try talking to them with your music (Make sense)?�
As far as getting them to dance, I stick to radio stuff. Remember what I said a few pages back, cater to the females as much as you can. If you get them to dance, the guys will follow. Play the girlies songs (Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna etc) Even though they just listen to the song on the radio, they wouldnt mind hearing it at the party with a bigger sound system.�
yup.

nod your head, give them the thumbs up n just ignore them from there, unless someone is putting money in ur face, or a drink ignore them.
seriously.

youre problem here, is that you werent prepared, you topped yourself off and didnt know how to follow up. this is when u need to dig, and prepare yourself. make your " current prime time" playlist (lmfao- sexy and i know it, party rock, HELLO, run the world, levels/good feeling, etc) , and make a "never fail" playlist ( shots, im the @$+ - dj class, show me love, sexy "chick") and once u do this , make sure that ALL of your songs are cued. if youre using 8bar intros, have a cue at the start, 3 bar, 8 bar, start/mid/end of the chorus (thats up to u). so when ppl do come n talk to u, if youre mixing on a 8 bar, or even any uptempo song, which let say has a 30 sec chorus, have it cued at the 15 sec mark, n the song ur bringing it at the 4 bar (15secs into the song) so u rbing it in like that. u mightve missed the full 8 bars of mixing but u caught up.

ive bee really getting into cueing right on the spot, and making sure i got all my stuff set.

this is prob the best cueing i ever seen, THIS is the kinda stuff serato was made for.
check out dudes videos, p2 is good he has another one where he goes in too.

heres some videos from the DJ battle i been doing the part few weeks,
tonight is the finals. (me vs this ther dude out of 40+ djs)
its a redbull thre3style battle, just party rocking, crowd pleasing

heres the 1st half of round 1

http://www.facebook.com/v....php?v=10101314232808731

2nd half

http://www.facebook.com/p...php?v=10101410116851341#!/video/video.php?v=10101314243432441

this is from the quarter finals,

http://www.facebook.com/p....php?v=10101410116851341

im waiting for my roomate to put up the semifinals one. for the finals its 2 30 mins so , well see wutp.

Oh and if u cant see the videos, just like my fb page ! lol

I want to (learn how to) make some mixes/mashups for @@@*+ and gigs. Can anyone recommend a computer program I should look into using? Mind you, I am a noob.

Originally Posted by ca5perrr

so anyone got any good gigs this weekend ??

Halloween at a lounge in New Brunswick, NJ. Anyone ever DJ in a costume before? I'm kind of afraid of knocking !*@@ over.

That DJ coke-e video was impressive.  The best part is when he transitions the music behind the G6 acapella instantaneously without missing a cue.  
As for B Milk, I guess it depends what you're wearing.  If you wear more normal clothes it shouldn't be much of an issue.  Now if you're going as a white sheeted ghost haha.

811845138_260.jpg

I was planning on wearing this.. too much you think?

any djs have a contract they can share?
im going to start playing sets in poolhalls, and eventually clubs
i dont know where to start when it comes to charging small businesses to play a couple hour set + equipment,etc.
i might not charge so much for my service, so in turn i'd like to have a contract stating my services, what i would usually charge, and duration of my residency..

pretty much.. na honestly id say about 25% of club owners are dishonest, but for some reason 100% will try their very best not to sign a contract

Great site for free remixes from relatively unknown artists:

http://tjsdjs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

honestly, about half the remixes on here suck, but I've found some real gems as well (registration needed)
i posted some edits, in the "extended" section,
ya alot of super corny intros, but here n there u find something that i would actually play

I know I'm the minority in this respect, but I usually purchase 95 percent of my music and remixes. Yes my bills from Crooklyn Clan, Beatport, and other similar sites are quite high per month, but if you're going to go anywhere in this industry you should support your fellow DJ's especially if you're making money off of their work. I once had an argument with someone that said he didn't feel it was necessary to purchase music because he was promoting them when he played, and it was absolute horse #+*!. I don't care what logic you use, at the end of the day if you've made money off of playing someone's remix or edit, they should be compensated.

Additionally( no disrespect at all Ca5perr because I haven't heard you spin) what separates Miami open format DJ's such as Konflikt, Ross-One, Joe Maz of Discotech, and to a degree myself is the fact that we purchase our music. You won't hear 85-90 percent of the remixes we play, played time and time again by other DJ's because they don't want to spend money on a remix, transition, or edit. My biggest piece of advice would be to purchase your music if you're serious about this craft. Remember if you can get it for free that means someone else got it for free, and so on and so forth. You do the math :smile:

Great post OP. There were a lot of great tips and advice from the 'pros', but you know the saying. You can lead a horse to water. . .
DJaward had great advice. But I would encourage the practice part. Practice matching beats. Practice mixing intros and outros. Always practice.
My gig'in days are a distant memory, but once you learn the basics and fundamentals of mixing, It stays with you.
I myself learned how to match beats from my older cousins. 90-91
From my first job bought a pair or technics in 95.
Did lots of house partys, weddings, birthdays, and even a few clubs.
The road kind of ended with my current job. Working 2 weekends a month was hard on a DJ. But my buddies that I used to spin with, still spin. They have spun in LA, Vegas, PI, FL to name a few. I've always wondered if I would be there with them if I kept spinning. Oh well..I guess I will always cherish my most prized DJ equipment. A Vestax 05pro Q-Bert edition. Only 100 made in the gold w/ gold overlay.(1st edition)

But like my buddie says, "A stethoscope doesn't make you a doctor. Serato doesn't make you a DJ". DJRomeoReyes

DJ Rhino

Originally Posted by bkmac

I want to (learn how to) make some mixes/mashups for @@@*+ and gigs. Can anyone recommend a computer program I should look into using? Mind you, I am a noob.

Logic Pro.

Made (filmed) a new mix this weekend.  Once again I mixed some KPOP, TOP40, and Dirty Dutch. I included myself dancing to the mix so be warned: It is going to appear quitegimmicky and stupid
roll.gif
. However, it might be more interesting than me on the controller for 9 minutes. Check it out:

Songlist:
1. SNSD - The Boys (Intro)
2. Super Junior - Mr Simple
3. SNSD - The Boys (Epitone Remix)
4. Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger (Dr. Who Edit)
5. Beyonce, Major Lazer, Laidback Luke - Pon De FloorGirls (Christian Davies Re-edit)
6. LMFAO - Sexy and I Know It
7. Black Eyed Peas - Just Can't Get Enough (Mike Mazu Bootleg)
8. SISTAR - Hot Place

looking to start practicing. what is a good set up for a beginner? I have a MacBookPro...

I want to bring some TASTE to the scene around me.

Everywhere just plays the horrible popular radio hits and annoying night club scene %+%*.

Back
Top Bottom