Official Niketalk DJ Thread vol. NO REQUESTS

Hosted a party at my house this past weekend (~25pp) and managed to get everyone the dance. I honestly attribute it to the fact that I rented a pretty cool light setup, had a strong sub-woofer, and the room was really dark. I guess around my parts people are embarrassed to dance if the room is too brightly lit.

It was an excellent learning experience because I was able to see the immediate impact of certain song selections and how they could get a rise out of the crowd or possibly kill it. It appeared that familiarity was more important than a great beat. I also learned that transitioning before a popular chorus is quite the floor killer haha.

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

looking to start practicing. what is a good set up for a beginner? I have a MacBookPro...

I want to bring some TASTE to the scene around me.

Everywhere just plays the horrible popular radio hits and annoying night club scene %+%*.

I'd advise downloading Virtual DJ and buying an external soundcard for your macbook, playing around for awhile and seeing if you really have a passion for DJing. If you do, save for Technics 1200s or Pioneer CDJ 800 or up

Originally Posted by JonnyBlazeNyc

Additionally( no disrespect at all Ca5perr because I haven't heard you spin) what separates Miami open format DJ's such as Konflikt, Ross-One, Joe Maz of Discotech, and to a degree myself is the fact that we purchase our music. You won't hear 85-90 percent of the remixes we play, played time and time again by other DJ's because they don't want to spend money on a remix, transition, or edit. My biggest piece of advice would be to purchase your music if you're serious about this craft. Remember if you can get it for free that means someone else got it for free, and so on and so forth. You do the math :smile:
i feel u on this 100%, on my side its not much about actually purchasing the music but more of exclusivity. i do purchase most of my music, but i also dig on blogs/forums etc.and  i also do alot of trading/swapping/drop box with djs that have/make exclusive edits, and i always make my own edits, i have so many edits that i chop up, make a chorus first, cut out verses , short edits, redrum etc, that when i get trainspotted by another dj, all he sees is the random name i gave it, cuz im too lazy to tag it, lol.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

on tues i played at automatic slims and i had this guy on my %$+, like every edit i playd he looked over, had his phone out, and saw him looking at the name and typing it on his phone, i got annoying after a bit, but then i was like w/e dude cant find most of these so ehhh let him be.

(SPECIALLY in Miami, cuz theres so much competition) you have to set yourself apart from the rest, what makes you different than the next dj ?
thats always you need to think,

Originally Posted by ca5perrr

Additionally( no disrespect at all Ca5perr because I haven't heard you spin) what separates Miami open format DJ's such as Konflikt, Ross-One, Joe Maz of Discotech, and to a degree myself is the fact that we purchase our music. You won't hear 85-90 percent of the remixes we play, played time and time again by other DJ's because they don't want to spend money on a remix, transition, or edit. My biggest piece of advice would be to purchase your music if you're serious about this craft. Remember if you can get it for free that means someone else got it for free, and so on and so forth. You do the math :smile:
i feel u on this 100%, on my side its not much about actually purchasing the music but more of exclusivity. i do purchase most of my music, but i also dig on blogs/forums etc.and  i also do alot of trading/swapping/drop box with djs that have/make exclusive edits, and i always make my own edits, i have so many edits that i chop up, make a chorus first, cut out verses , short edits, redrum etc, that when i get trainspotted by another dj, all he sees is the random name i gave it, cuz im too lazy to tag it, lol.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

on tues i played at automatic slims and i had this guy on my %$+, like every edit i playd he looked over, had his phone out, and saw him looking at the name and typing it on his phone, i got annoying after a bit, but then i was like w/e dude cant find most of these so ehhh let him be.

(SPECIALLY in Miami, cuz theres so much competition) you have to set yourself apart from the rest, what makes you different than the next dj ?

DJ AM Mode 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Lxj

Nice thread Milk. �I just started DJing recently in the summer and have only used midi controllers. �I currently use Traktor but it appears that Serato Scratch Live is the night club standard. I don't know if I'll ever upgrade to turntables just because traditionalists think the sync button is killing the game. �I can see the pleasure in maintaining your beat match with the push and pull of the platters though, and of course scratching.
I currently specialize in mixing KPOP/Top40/ and House. �Check out one of my video on youtube:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
Song list:

1. Funk with Me (Original Mix) - Afrojack

2. Wedding Dress - Taeyang

3. Mister - Kara

4. Drink - Lil Jon feat LMFAO

5. So Cool - Sistar

6. Lighters Up - Bruno Mars (Insan3Lik3 Remix)�

7. I'm your man - 2pm
[/font]

359db8k.jpg

Im Korean and i dont even !+%* with K-Pop but this..... right here.......
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

DJ AM Mode 
wink.gif

+1 DJ AM Mode 
It helps keep the swagger jackers away.

I agree with purchasing your tunes as much as you can. Especially since the quality you get off something like juno or beatport will be proper. Lot's of blogs offer poor rips that aren't mastered well. 

If you are on what.cd... I would recommend it. Hell, even Surkin is on it. I watched a Beataucue interview where he said that he has NEVER ever paid for a song in his life. Basically, if you have the means and access to quality music for free, get it. While others may have it, your taste should be able to separate you from other DJ's. 

real life...

i know it says no requests but can someone hook me up with a dope set for a party?

DJ Black Coffee lacing a random set in London somewhere....
I'm wondering...at 3:20....does anyone know what effect he's using, or where I can find a similar effect?

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

I'm wondering...at 3:20....does anyone know what effect he's using, or where I can find a similar effect?
Sounds like the Beatmasher with some Delay on Traktor. But it could be some built in effect on his mixer since he doesn't appear to be using a laptop.

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

DJ AM Mode 
wink.gif

+1 DJ AM Mode 

I agree with purchasing your tunes as much as you can. Especially since the quality you get off something like juno or beatport will be proper. Lot's of blogs offer poor rips that aren't mastered well. 

If you are on what.cd... I would recommend it. Hell, even Surkin is on it. I watched a Beataucue interview where he said that he has NEVER ever paid for a song in his life. Basically, if you have the means and access to quality music for free, get it. While others may have it, your taste should be able to separate you from other DJ's. 
It's not what you play, but how you play it so DJ AM mode means nothin IMO.  I don't mind giving people the name of records I play as it doesn't mean they're going to play it how I play it.

i get confused when i play on AM mode, and i HATE locking my decks,
i dont mind dudes trainspotting me since i know they wont find most of the edits i have,
at the same time like ransom said, its all about how u play it, so i dont mind giving out some of the songs i play,
but i think everyone keeps their personal stash you know.
Originally Posted by Lxj

What do you mean by getting "trainspotted" b another DJ?
its when youre djing somewhere, and someone is standing right behind you, looking at all the songs youre playing, and writing them down,
swagger jackers.

eiddyfouw wrote:

its just a loop, but he kept it going, n used the volume fader to mess with it.

Originally Posted by breezylocks

real life...

i know it says no requests but can someone hook me up with a dope set for a party?
What type of music are you looking for? 
Jonny Blaze, when you said "Purchase your Music", are you talking about record pools or crooklynclan.net type of thing? 

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

DJ AM Mode 
wink.gif

+1 DJ AM Mode 

It's not what you play, but how you play it so DJ AM mode means nothin IMO.  I don't mind giving people the name of records I play as it doesn't mean they're going to play it how I play it.

It's not what you play? Being a DJ is all about song choice. If you research and build sets just to have someone behind you stealing your tracks. I think that is pretty lame. It shows your lack of style and inability to find music or generate your own taste. But to each their own, every DJ has their own style and perspective on music.

Originally Posted by Lxj

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

alien.gif
Sounds like the Beatmasher with some Delay on Traktor. But it could be some built in effect on his mixer since he doesn't appear to be using a laptop.

Thanks, I'll look into it....

real life...

I listened to some of Ca5perrr's mixes and they appear pretty good for parties, so I would recommend those.  I haven't made any 1 hour mixes (yet) so I can't help you in that department. 

Here's a mix I recently did. It's got a smooth, lounge-y type vibe to it. Feel free to comment. Any [constructive] feedback is appreciated.   Regal Music Vol.1: The Champagne Life by DJA1Music

^^not bad,

all i would say is the transitions between some songs was ehh, dunno what kinda software/mixer you were using, but try to make your transitions a bit smoother/cleaners, kill the bass on the song youre bringing in, and slowly swap them out, also they make extendeds so you dont have over lapping vocals, the song selection was good, but at times i think some songs were a little too hype compared to the one played before/after. like when you started with fancy, i would say thats a more "upbeat" song compared to most of the rest you played. im just being anal and picky, sorry, but overall a solid mix bro

Originally Posted by djaward

real life...

What type of music are you looking for? 
Jonny Blaze, when you said "Purchase your Music", are you talking about record pools or crooklynclan.net type of thing? 

Real life...Just like music that's played at clubs, whether it be house or hip hopAslong as everyday I'm shuffling and that florida rip off of avicci is t on there then it's all good

Originally Posted by JUSTBLAZE2k7

Here's a mix I recently did. It's got a smooth, lounge-y type vibe to it. Feel free to comment. Any [constructive] feedback is appreciated. � Regal Music Vol.1: The Champagne Life by DJA1Music
I also felt like some of the transitions were messy and very noticeable that you were changing between tracks instead of a "whoah is this a different song?" sort of response.

^^not bad,

all i would say is the transitions between some songs was ehh, dunno what kinda software/mixer you were using, but try to make your transitions a bit smoother/cleaners, kill the bass on the song youre bringing in, and slowly swap them out, also they make extendeds so you dont have over lapping vocals, the song selection was good, but at times i think some songs were a little too hype compared to the one played before/after. like when you started with fancy, i would say thats a more "upbeat" song compared to most of the rest you played. im just being anal and picky, sorry, but overall a solid mix bro
Appreciate the feedback bro. I've been DJ'ing since June so of course I'm still learning. I'm definitely taking any and all advice I can get
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom