Official NT Summer Reading Thread

anyone recommend some good reads about human behavior? Love, emotions, ethics, morals etc.

Just finished The Eye by Nabokov and Baron in the Trees by Calvino, two authors most people have probably read one book from each, but who have a lot more to offer. I'd still recommend Pale Fire and Lolita (in that order) from Nabokov first, but Baron in the Trees is my second favorite Calvino behind "If on a winter's night.."

Just finished The Eye by Nabokov and Baron in the Trees by Calvino, two authors most people have probably read one book from each, but who have a lot more to offer. I'd still recommend Pale Fire and Lolita (in that order) from Nabokov first, but Baron in the Trees is my second favorite Calvino behind "If on a winter's night.."

Originally Posted by CjGenius368

JohnnyRedStorm wrote:
I'm reading Water for Elephants right now cause my manager let me borrow it and I'm loving it so far.
Lovvvved that novel. I wanna read her other novel eventually as well since she's such an excellent writer that puts a tonnn of effort into her work.

I don't want to prejudice you, but I also loved Water for Elephants and I recently read Ape House and was kind of disappointed.  
I'm reading a friend's recommendation right now - The Post Office Girl by Stefan Sweig(sp?).  Next is another recommendation - Philadelphia Fire by John Edgar Wideman.

Damn, hopefully you were just spoiled by Water for Elephants
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CjGenius368

JohnnyRedStorm wrote:
I'm reading Water for Elephants right now cause my manager let me borrow it and I'm loving it so far.
Lovvvved that novel. I wanna read her other novel eventually as well since she's such an excellent writer that puts a tonnn of effort into her work.

I don't want to prejudice you, but I also loved Water for Elephants and I recently read Ape House and was kind of disappointed.  
I'm reading a friend's recommendation right now - The Post Office Girl by Stefan Sweig(sp?).  Next is another recommendation - Philadelphia Fire by John Edgar Wideman.

Damn, hopefully you were just spoiled by Water for Elephants
laugh.gif

read some of these but will try to knock more off:
[h5].[/h5]
[h1]A PEOPLES HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES[/h1][h6]by Howard Zinn[/h6] [h1]CULTURE JAM[/h1][h6]by Kalle Lasn[/h6] [h1]THE LIMITS OF POWER[/h1][h6]by Andrew Bacevich[/h6] [h1]MANUFACTURING CONSENT[/h1][h6]by Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman[/h6] [h1]AGENCY, DEMOCRACY, AND NATURE[/h1][h6]by robert j. brulle[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]LIGHT AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD[/h1][h6]by Wade Davis[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]GUNS, GERMS AND STEEL[/h1][h6]by Jared Diamond[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]COME HELL OR HIGH WATER: HURRICANE KATRINA[/h1][h1]AND THE COLOR OF DISASTER[/h1][h6]by Michael Eric Dyson[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE 13 AMERICAN ARGUMENTS[/h1][h6]by Howard Fineman[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]ECOLOGY AGAINST CAPITALISM[/h1][h6]by John Bellamy Foster[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]TERROR PRESIDENCY[/h1][h6]by Jack Goldsmith[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]STATIC[/h1][h6]by Amy Goodman[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]EMPIRE OF ILLUSION[/h1][h6]by Chris Hedges[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE BLACK JACOBINS[/h1][h6]by C.L.R. James[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]TOOLBOX FOR SUSTAINABLE CITY LIVING[/h1][h6]by Scott Kellog and Stacy Pettigrew[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE PROBLEM OF THE MEDIA[/h1][h6]by Robert W. McChesney[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]1776[/h1][h6]by David McCullough[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]CRADLE TO CRADLE[/h1][h6]by William McDonough and Michael Braungart[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]AMERICAN EARTH: ENVIRONMENTAL WRITING 
SINCE THOREAU
[/h1][h6]Edited by Bill McKibben[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]MOYERS ON AMERICA[/h1][h6]by Bill Moyers[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]ARMED MADHOUSE[/h1][h6]by Greg Palast[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]UNPOPULAR ESSAYS[/h1][h6]by Bertrand Russell[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]ORIENTALISM[/h1][h6]by Edward W. Said[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]TAKEOVER[/h1][h6]by Charlie Savage[/h6][h1]
am_way_war.png
[/h1][h1]THE AMERICAN WAY OF WAR[/h1][h6]by Tom Engelhardt[/h6][h1]
bicycle_diaries.png
[/h1][h1]BICYCLE DIARIES[/h1][h6]by David Byrne[/h6][h1]
coming_insurrection.png
[/h1][h1]THE COMING INSURRECTION[/h1][h6]by The Invisible Committee[/h6][h1]
death_liberal.png
[/h1][h1]THE DEATH OF THE LIBERAL CLASS[/h1][h6]by Chris Hedges[/h6][h1]
great_american_stickup.png
[/h1][h1]THE GREAT AMERICAN STICK UP[/h1][h6]by Robert Scheer[/h6]

[h1]STANDING UP TO THE MADNESS[/h1][h6]by Amy Goodman and David Goodman[/h6] [h1]THE SHOCK DOCTRINE[/h1][h6]by Naomi Klein[/h6] [h1]BEARING THE CROSS[/h1][h6]by David J Garrow[/h6] [h1]BLACKWATER[/h1][h6]by Jeremy Scahill[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]IMPERIAL HUBRIS[/h1][h6]by Michael Scheuer[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE FAMILY[/h1][h6]by Jeff Sharlett[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]WALDEN OR LIFE IN THE WOODS[/h1][h6]by Henry David Thoreau[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA[/h1][h6]by Alexis de Tocqueville[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE REVOLUTION OF EVERYDAY LIFE[/h1][h6]by Raoul Vanetgem[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]DEMOCRACY MATTERS[/h1][h6]by Cornell West[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]VOICES OF A PEOPLES HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES[/h1][h6]by Howard Zinn[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]A POWER GOVERNMENTS CAN’T SUPRESS[/h1][h6]by Howard Zinn[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]ARTISTS IN A TIME OF WAR[/h1][h6]by Howard Zinn[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]EATING ANIMALS[/h1][h6]by Jonathan Safran Foer[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]DEEP ECONOMY[/h1][h6]by Bill McKibben[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]REMEMBERING TOMORROW[/h1][h6]by Michael Albert[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]OPEN VEINS OF LATIN AMERICA[/h1][h6]by Eduardo Galeano[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]FEAR AND LOATHING ON THE CAMPAING TRAIL 72[/h1][h6]by Hunter S. Thompson[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]FIELD NOTES ON DEMOCRACY[/h1][h6]by Arundhati Roy[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]I MAY NOT GET THERE WITH YOU[/h1][h6]by Michael Eric Dyson[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]COME HOME, AMERICA[/h1][h6]by William Greider[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE SOCIETY OF SPECTACLE[/h1][h6]by Guy Debord[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]LIES MY TEACHER TOLD ME[/h1][h6]by James W. Loewen[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]DAMMING THE FLOOD - HAITI, ARISTIDE, AND THE POLITICS OF CONTAINMENT[/h1][h6]by Peter Hallward[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]13 BANKERS - THE WALL STREET TAKEOVER - AND THE NEXT FINANCIAL MELTDOWN[/h1][h6]by Simon Johnson and James Kwak[/h6][h1]
griftopia.png
[/h1][h1]GRIFTOPIA[/h1][h6]by Matt Taibbi[/h6][h1]
hopes_prospects.png
[/h1][h1]HOPES AND PROSPECTS[/h1][h6]by Noam Chomsky[/h6][h1]
profit_over_people.png
[/h1][h1]PROFIT OVER PEOPLE[/h1][h6]by Noam Chomsky[/h6][h1]
washington_rules.png
[/h1][h1]WASHINGTON RULES[/h1][h6]by Andrew Bacevich[/h6]

read some of these but will try to knock more off:
[h5].[/h5]
[h1]A PEOPLES HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES[/h1][h6]by Howard Zinn[/h6] [h1]CULTURE JAM[/h1][h6]by Kalle Lasn[/h6] [h1]THE LIMITS OF POWER[/h1][h6]by Andrew Bacevich[/h6] [h1]MANUFACTURING CONSENT[/h1][h6]by Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman[/h6] [h1]AGENCY, DEMOCRACY, AND NATURE[/h1][h6]by robert j. brulle[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]LIGHT AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD[/h1][h6]by Wade Davis[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]GUNS, GERMS AND STEEL[/h1][h6]by Jared Diamond[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]COME HELL OR HIGH WATER: HURRICANE KATRINA[/h1][h1]AND THE COLOR OF DISASTER[/h1][h6]by Michael Eric Dyson[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE 13 AMERICAN ARGUMENTS[/h1][h6]by Howard Fineman[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]ECOLOGY AGAINST CAPITALISM[/h1][h6]by John Bellamy Foster[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]TERROR PRESIDENCY[/h1][h6]by Jack Goldsmith[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]STATIC[/h1][h6]by Amy Goodman[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]EMPIRE OF ILLUSION[/h1][h6]by Chris Hedges[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE BLACK JACOBINS[/h1][h6]by C.L.R. James[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]TOOLBOX FOR SUSTAINABLE CITY LIVING[/h1][h6]by Scott Kellog and Stacy Pettigrew[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE PROBLEM OF THE MEDIA[/h1][h6]by Robert W. McChesney[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]1776[/h1][h6]by David McCullough[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]CRADLE TO CRADLE[/h1][h6]by William McDonough and Michael Braungart[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]AMERICAN EARTH: ENVIRONMENTAL WRITING 
SINCE THOREAU
[/h1][h6]Edited by Bill McKibben[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]MOYERS ON AMERICA[/h1][h6]by Bill Moyers[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]ARMED MADHOUSE[/h1][h6]by Greg Palast[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]UNPOPULAR ESSAYS[/h1][h6]by Bertrand Russell[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]ORIENTALISM[/h1][h6]by Edward W. Said[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]TAKEOVER[/h1][h6]by Charlie Savage[/h6][h1]
am_way_war.png
[/h1][h1]THE AMERICAN WAY OF WAR[/h1][h6]by Tom Engelhardt[/h6][h1]
bicycle_diaries.png
[/h1][h1]BICYCLE DIARIES[/h1][h6]by David Byrne[/h6][h1]
coming_insurrection.png
[/h1][h1]THE COMING INSURRECTION[/h1][h6]by The Invisible Committee[/h6][h1]
death_liberal.png
[/h1][h1]THE DEATH OF THE LIBERAL CLASS[/h1][h6]by Chris Hedges[/h6][h1]
great_american_stickup.png
[/h1][h1]THE GREAT AMERICAN STICK UP[/h1][h6]by Robert Scheer[/h6]

[h1]STANDING UP TO THE MADNESS[/h1][h6]by Amy Goodman and David Goodman[/h6] [h1]THE SHOCK DOCTRINE[/h1][h6]by Naomi Klein[/h6] [h1]BEARING THE CROSS[/h1][h6]by David J Garrow[/h6] [h1]BLACKWATER[/h1][h6]by Jeremy Scahill[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]IMPERIAL HUBRIS[/h1][h6]by Michael Scheuer[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE FAMILY[/h1][h6]by Jeff Sharlett[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]WALDEN OR LIFE IN THE WOODS[/h1][h6]by Henry David Thoreau[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA[/h1][h6]by Alexis de Tocqueville[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE REVOLUTION OF EVERYDAY LIFE[/h1][h6]by Raoul Vanetgem[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]DEMOCRACY MATTERS[/h1][h6]by Cornell West[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]VOICES OF A PEOPLES HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES[/h1][h6]by Howard Zinn[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]A POWER GOVERNMENTS CAN’T SUPRESS[/h1][h6]by Howard Zinn[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]ARTISTS IN A TIME OF WAR[/h1][h6]by Howard Zinn[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]EATING ANIMALS[/h1][h6]by Jonathan Safran Foer[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]DEEP ECONOMY[/h1][h6]by Bill McKibben[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]REMEMBERING TOMORROW[/h1][h6]by Michael Albert[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]OPEN VEINS OF LATIN AMERICA[/h1][h6]by Eduardo Galeano[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]FEAR AND LOATHING ON THE CAMPAING TRAIL 72[/h1][h6]by Hunter S. Thompson[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]FIELD NOTES ON DEMOCRACY[/h1][h6]by Arundhati Roy[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]I MAY NOT GET THERE WITH YOU[/h1][h6]by Michael Eric Dyson[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]COME HOME, AMERICA[/h1][h6]by William Greider[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]THE SOCIETY OF SPECTACLE[/h1][h6]by Guy Debord[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]LIES MY TEACHER TOLD ME[/h1][h6]by James W. Loewen[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]DAMMING THE FLOOD - HAITI, ARISTIDE, AND THE POLITICS OF CONTAINMENT[/h1][h6]by Peter Hallward[/h6][h1] [/h1][h1]13 BANKERS - THE WALL STREET TAKEOVER - AND THE NEXT FINANCIAL MELTDOWN[/h1][h6]by Simon Johnson and James Kwak[/h6][h1]
griftopia.png
[/h1][h1]GRIFTOPIA[/h1][h6]by Matt Taibbi[/h6][h1]
hopes_prospects.png
[/h1][h1]HOPES AND PROSPECTS[/h1][h6]by Noam Chomsky[/h6][h1]
profit_over_people.png
[/h1][h1]PROFIT OVER PEOPLE[/h1][h6]by Noam Chomsky[/h6][h1]
washington_rules.png
[/h1][h1]WASHINGTON RULES[/h1][h6]by Andrew Bacevich[/h6]

Awesome.

I've recently picked up quite a handful of books that you should read up yourself.

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
The Gay Science by Friederich Nietzsche
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavely
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
The Inferno by Dante Alighieri
On The Road by Jack Kerouac
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
The Antichrist by Frederich Nietzsche
For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

I'm dying to read Gravitys Rainbow, Infinite Jest, and Ulysses as well. Too expensive at B&N :/. I'll bookmark this thread to pick up some titles as well as post some note worthy ones.

Awesome.

I've recently picked up quite a handful of books that you should read up yourself.

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
The Gay Science by Friederich Nietzsche
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavely
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
The Inferno by Dante Alighieri
On The Road by Jack Kerouac
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
The Antichrist by Frederich Nietzsche
For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

I'm dying to read Gravitys Rainbow, Infinite Jest, and Ulysses as well. Too expensive at B&N :/. I'll bookmark this thread to pick up some titles as well as post some note worthy ones.

Originally Posted by CJ863

anyone recommend some good reads about human behavior? Love, emotions, ethics, morals etc.
The Art of Seduction
The Art of War
48 Laws of Power
The Red Queen: Sex & The Evolution of Human Nature
Beyond Good and Evil
Spurs by Derrida
Works of Love

The Art of Seduction
The Art of War
48 Laws of Power
Beyond Good and Evil
Spurs by Derrida
Works of Love

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

The Art of Seduction
The Art of War
48 Laws of Power
Beyond Good and Evil
Spurs by Derrida
Works of Love

Anymore books that aren't by Robert Greene. He's kinda getting repetitive for me. 
I've been looking for books that are similar to Harold Kushners when bad things happen to good people. any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

The Art of Seduction
The Art of War
48 Laws of Power
Beyond Good and Evil
Spurs by Derrida
Works of Love

Anymore books that aren't by Robert Greene. He's kinda getting repetitive for me. 
I've been looking for books that are similar to Harold Kushners when bad things happen to good people. any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom