OFFICIAL PATRIOTS 2010 OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Tom brady >>>>wycleaf

Monday, March 22, 2010
Kraft: We'll get deal done with Brady

By Mike Reiss
ESPNBoston.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said the team will continue to talk about a contract extension for quarterback Tom Brady, expressing confidence that the sides will strike a long-term agreement.
2330.jpg

Brady
The 32-year-old Brady enters the final year of his contract in 2010 after signing a six-year, $60 million extension in 2005. "Let's put it like this: Tom Brady is going to be part of this franchise. He wants to be, we want him," Kraft told reporters early Monday. "Great things happen in life if you're flexible and not rigid. We have to find a way to satisfy him and the team, and have a team that can win big-time. That's what it's about."We're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. We're not sleeping. It's just complicated. It's complicated for everyone. We hope we do a satisfactory job, but we'll figure it out one way or another."Brady is not the only top-flight quarterback whose deal is up after this season. Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is entering the final year of his contract as well. Like Kraft, Colts owner Jim Irsay talked openly about getting an extension done with his star, even saying he was planning on locking him into a record deal."You know it's going to get done," Irsay said during Super Bowl week. "I think it's clear, and we'll start on it this summer. That's been the way we do things [to hammer out an extension when a player is entering the final year of his contract]. And it'll be the biggest [contract] in history; there's not much doubt about that."Brady has not been present for the start of the team's offseason program, instead working out in California. Pictures have surfaced on the Internet in the last week showing Brady throwing a football on a practice field at UCLA and sparring at a gym. A source close to Brady laid out the Patriots quarterback's recent workout regimen: He'll do two hours in a gym at 7 a.m., then two hours of boxing every afternoon while his son is napping. The source also said Brady is in great shape and is at times joined by teammate Wes Welker, who had offseason knee surgery, and former teammate Matt Cassel. Kraft said he would rather Brady work out in Foxborough but he is not concerned with his star working out privately. Kraft also said he wouldn't be surprised if Brady was at team workouts by Wednesday.

"If you're asking me if I'd prefer he be here the whole offseason, yes," Kraft said. "It represents ... to me, he's the most unique, special leader and player in the NFL."But I wouldn't be surprised if before these meetings are over [Wednesday], he wasn't at the offseason workouts. They are voluntary. He has a family. Everything -- look at your lives. You've all changed. So it's priorities."There is no doubt in my mind he's working out hard. Would we be better as a team if he was in Foxborough every day between now and the start of training camp? Absolutely. Does it work for him? I don't know. I think he's balancing a lot of things. I hope he spends as much time as he can in Foxborough and I believe he will.""If you're asking me if I'd prefer he be here the whole offseason, yes," Kraft said. "It represents ... to me, he's the most unique, special leader and player in the NFL."But I wouldn't be surprised if before these meetings are over [Wednesday], he wasn't at the offseason workouts. They are voluntary. He has a family. Everything -- look at your lives. You've all changed. So it's priorities."There is no doubt in my mind he's working out hard. Would we be better as a team if he was in Foxborough every day between now and the start of training camp? Absolutely. Does it work for him? I don't know. I think he's balancing a lot of things. I hope he spends as much time as he can in Foxborough and I believe he will."
Mike Reiss covers the Patriots for ESPNBoston.com. Follow him on Twitter.

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]Sun, Sep 12[/td][td]Cincinnati[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]Sun, Sep 19[/td][td]at NY Jets[/td][td]4:15 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]Sun, Sep 26[/td][td]Buffalo[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]Mon, Oct 4[/td][td]at Miami[/td][td]8:30 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]6[/td][td]Sun, Oct 17[/td][td]Baltimore[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]Sun, Oct 24[/td][td]at San Diego[/td][td]4:15 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]8[/td][td]Sun, Oct 31[/td][td]Minnesota[/td][td]4:15 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]9[/td][td]Sun, Nov 7[/td][td]at Cleveland[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]10[/td][td]Sun, Nov 14[/td][td]at Pittsburgh[/td][td]8:20 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]11[/td][td]Sun, Nov 21[/td][td]Indianapolis[/td][td]4:15 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]12[/td][td]Thu, Nov 25[/td][td]at Detroit[/td][td]12:30 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]13[/td][td]Mon, Dec 6[/td][td]NY Jets[/td][td]8:30 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]14[/td][td]Sun, Dec 12[/td][td]at Chicago[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]15[/td][td]Sun, Dec 19[/td][td]Green Bay[/td][td]8:20 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]16[/td][td]Sun, Dec 26[/td][td]at Buffalo[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][/tr][tr][td]17[/td][td]Sun, Jan 2[/td][td]Miami[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][/tr][/table]

[h1]Patriots sign veteran WR Torry Holt[/h1]
text_size.jpg

The New England Patriots announced today the signing of WR Torry Holt, a veteran of 11 NFL seasons with the St. Louis Rams (1999-2008) and the Jacksonville Jaguars (2009). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

[table][tr][td]
ImgDyn.cfm
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots announced today the signing of WRTorry Holt, a veteran of 11 NFL seasons with the St. Louis Rams (1999-2008) and the Jacksonville Jaguars (2009). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Holt, 6-0, 190 pounds, is a seven-time Pro Bowl selections (2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007), who has played in 173 career games with 159 starts and ranks 10th in NFL history with 13,382 receiving yards and 11th in receptions with 920. Holt has averaged 77.4 yards per game during his career, a mark that ranks third in NFL history. He ranked first in the NFL from 2000 through 2009 with 868 receptions and 12,594 receiving yards, a mark that is an NFL record for most receptions in a decade.

Holt has played in 10 postseason games and two Super Bowls, all with the St. Louis Rams, accumulating 47 receptions for 630 yards and four touchdowns. He set a Super Bowl rookie record with seven receptions and 109 receiving yards in the Rams 1999 Super Bowl win over Tennessee. 

Holt originally joined St. Louis as a first-round draft choice (6th overall) out of North Carolina State in 1999. He was waived by the Rams on March 13, 2009 and was signed by Jacksonville on April 20, 2009. Holt was released by the Jaguars on February 11, 2010.

Last season with Jacksonville, Holt started in 12 of the 15 games he played and finished with 51 receptions for 772 yards.

I mean if he can still grab 51 for 772 from Garrard then there is a chance something is left in the tank.

so let's get this straight though...randy moss, david patten, torry holt, julian edelman, brandon tate....good lord. if they're not using a walker, they're still wearing diapers

Just wanted to pass along what your best pass rusher is doing in the off season

x2_12791d8

Nova Cain
roll.gif

[table][tr][td]New England Patriots 2010 Picks[/td][/tr][tr][td]RD[/td][td]PK(OVR)[/td][td]NAME[/td][td]POS[/td][td]SCHOOL[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]27(27)[/td][td]Devin McCourty[/td][td]CB[/td][td]Rutgers[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]from Dallas[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]What he brings: McCourty is a great special-teams contributor, having blocked seven kicks during his time in college. He also contributes as a gunner and vice both on the punt and punt-return units and should be able to provide help as a kick returner. In addition, he is one of the more fluid corners in this year's class, and while he doesn't have great ball skills, he plays bigger than his size would suggest. Video analysis:
watch.png
McShay | Edwards
How he fits: Brandon Merriweather is a good NFL safety, finishing last season with five interceptions, but the Patriots struggled overall to prevent big pass plays. The Patriots pride themselves on taking versatile players on both sides of the ball and McCourty fits the bill. His run support will be an improvement over James Sanders, Brandon McGowan and Pat Chung. While this wasn't the Pats' biggest need, he is a prototypical New England player: tough and versatile.[/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]10(42)[/td][td]Rob Gronkowski[/td][td]TE[/td][td]Arizona[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]from Chicago through Tampa Bay and Oakland[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]What he brings: The biggest concern with Gronkowski is his durability; he missed all of the 2009 season with a back injury. On the other hand, if stays healthy he has the potential to develop into a complete tight end. He can make plays down the seam, get open underneath and walls off defenders as an inline blocker.
How he fits: The addition of Alge Crumpler will help the club offset the loss of Benjamin Watson to Cleveland and Chris Baker to Seattle. But the Patriots still needed a physical, early-down blocker that could also stretch the field. Despite his injury history, Gronkowski's all-around ability should fit what the Patriots needed. This was a good value pick at this spot.[/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]21(53)[/td][td]Jermaine Cunningham[/td][td]OLB[/td][td]Florida[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]What he brings: Cunningham is a reach here in terms of value. He has the natural ability to develop in to a productive outside linebacker in a base 3-4 scheme. On the flip side, he's coming off a disappointing senior season and there are questions about his maturity and overall football character.
How he fits: Outside pass-rush improvement was a must for the Patriots. Tully Banta-Cain had a solid year with 10 sacks, but the absence of Derrick Burgess does hurt. Adalius Thomas has not been what the team had hoped, nor has Shawn Crable to this stage. More upfield push and quarterback pressure is what Cunningham will have to provide.[/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]30(62)[/td][td]Brandon Spikes[/td][td]ILB[/td][td]Florida[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]from Minnesota through Houston[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]What he brings: Spikes' poor showing at the combine and some durability concerns hurt him this weekend, but he is a sound pick here. Spikes is very instinctive both as a run-stopper and in coverage. While he needs to improve his ability to shed blocks, he does a good job slipping them and beating blockers at the point of attack because he gets there so quickly.
How he fits: Jerod Mayo is a good inside linebacker and as he goes, the second level goes. Gary Guyton is an average inside linebacker and lacks the size and brute power of Spikes. The former Gator may have run a slow 40 time but he plays with great leadership and instincts versus the run and pass.[/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]26(90)[/td][td]Taylor Price[/td][td]WR[/td][td]Ohio[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]from Dallas[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]What he brings: Price is an explosive home run threat on the perimeter. He has both top-end speed to stretch the field and does a great job dropping his weight and transitioning in and out of breaks. His best quality might be his overall ball skills. He should provide immediate playmaking ability for the Patriots offense.
How he fits: This is a good pick for the Patriots. Price will offer outside speed and sure-handedness, which could be very good qualities moving forward for the Pats as Randy Moss ages. He has more upside than Sam Aiken and will have a chance to compete with Brandon Tate, who is coming off injury during his rookie season.[/td][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]15(113)[/td][td]Aaron Hernandez[/td][td]TE[/td][td]Florida[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]from San Francisco through Denver[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]What he brings: Hernandez is one of the better pass-catching tight ends in this year's class. He brings an immediate receiving threat to the Patriots' offense and his best ability is running after the catch. He needs to get tougher and more aggressive as a run-blocker.
How he fits: Hernandez will have a real chance to be a receiving target quickly for Tom Brady. The absence of Benjamin Watson creates a real opportunity for him. His blocking will have to improve, but Hernandez will likely play early.[/td][/tr][tr][td]5[/td][td]19(150)[/td][td]Zoltan Mesko[/td][td]PT[/td][td]Michigan[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]from Houston[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]He has a great leg and good accuracy. Chris Hanson is still unsigned and David King was the only punter left on the roster.[/td][/tr][tr][td]6[/td][td]36(205)[/td][td]Ted Larsen[/td][td]OC[/td][td]North Carolina State[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Compensatory Pick[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Larsen spent three seasons playing DT, but he needs to get stronger at the point of attack. However, his true value will be as a center and he should bring quality depth behind Dan Koppen.[/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]1(208)[/td][td]Thomas Welch[/td][td]OT[/td][td]Vanderbilt[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]from St. Louis through Washington[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]A former tight end, who is best suited at right tackle. His footwork is his best asset.[/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]40(247)[/td][td]Brandon Deaderick[/td][td]DE[/td][td]Alabama[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Compensatory Pick[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Deaderick is a perfect fit as a developmental guy in New England?s three-man front. He has great size and length to anchor against the run. He still needs some refining as a pass-rusher. [/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]41(248)[/td][td]Kade Weston[/td][td]DT[/td][td]Georgia[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Compensatory Pick[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]New England goes for depth here by adding the 317-pound Weston. He?s another 5-technique defensive lineman and the Pats are always looking to add guys like that. [/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]43(250)[/td][td]Zac Robinson[/td][td]QB[/td][td]Oklahoma State[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Compensatory Pick[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Robinson has more arm strength than his frame suggests. He shows good mobility within the pocket. He will have to make a tough transition coming from a spread system, but he has the mental aptitude to become a backup if brought along with proper coaching and patience. [/td][/tr][/table]

Gronkowski and Price.
pimp.gif

I still love the Butler, Brace and Tate picks from last season, too.

Speaking of Gary Guyton being an "average inside linebacker," he should be playing outside, anyway.

butler def. showed some potential towards the end of last year. tate should be healthy going into this year. im interested in seeing what tyrone mckenzie from last year's draft can do for us this year.

i can't wait for redzone and goal line possessions this year. gronkowski should improve our woes a lot, i hope. i mean how can you not use a 6'6" TE down there.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

butler def. showed some potential towards the end of last year. tate should be healthy going into this year. im interested in seeing what tyrone mckenzie from last year's draft can do for us this year.

i can't wait for redzone and goal line possessions this year. gronkowski should improve our woes a lot, i hope. i mean how can you not use a 6'6" TE down there.

Can't forget Crumpler blocking 
pimp.gif

but i really really like Gronkowski. 

but I'm curious at the Pick of Zac Robinson, Could they try to develop him over the course of 4-5 years? 

either way, Hoyer is still a decent back up.

and on the report of about august return for Wes, Edelman filled in pretty good in the Texans & Ravens games.

but alot of their picks last year will be back healthy (Tate, Butler) so it looks pretty good. 

Just Curious about Shawn Crable and if he'll finally make an appearance for them.

^ word on crable, man. if he can come back healthy and contribute...i think our defense will be in good shape.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Pats agree with Warren[/h2]

Associated Press

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots signed former Oakland Raiders tackle Gerard Warren on Saturday as they continued to restock their defensive line.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick announced the move after the NFL draft.

New England, which lost defensive end Jarvis Green as a free agent to Denver, had signed defensive tackle Damione Lewis on April 10 after he was released by Carolina.

Warren, the third overall pick in the 2001 draft, spent four seasons with Cleveland, two with Denver and three with Oakland, which released him on March 11.

"We've talked with him off and on, and we just were able to work that out," Belichick said. "He's been a very productive player through the course of his career, especially in recent years."

Belichick touched on the versatility of Warren (6-foot-4, 325), who has played a variety of roles at different points of his career. His biggest chance to make an impact in New England figures to be at right defensive end, the spot previously occupied by Richard Seymour and Jarvis Green.

Warren started all 32 games he played in the past two seasons with 57 tackles and six sacks. In his 135 career games, 127 of them starts, he has 229 tackles and 32 sacks. He's reached the playoff just once in nine seasons.

Cleveland drafted Warren three picks before New England took Seymour in 2001. The Patriots traded Seymour to the Raiders before last season. Lewis was taken by St. Louis with the 12th pick in that draft.

Patriots
Pat Paschall, RB, North Dakota State
Dane Fletcher, DE, Montana State
Bryan Anderson, WR, CMU
Sergio Brown, S, Notre Dame
Kyle Love, DL, Mississippi State
Ross Ventrone, S, Villanova ???

the undrafted FA's we signed so far, courtesy of h3at

obviously fake, but funny nonetheless:

[h2]Bill Belichick Drops Off Recent Draft Picks In Middle Of Nowhere, Tells Them To Find Way Back[/h2]
UNNAMED DESERT—After providing his 2010 draft picks with only two canteens of water, a flashlight, and a cheap compass, New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick dumped his 12 newest players in the middle of a desert wasteland Tuesday and told them to find their way back to Foxboro on their own.

Belichick, who has always initiated new Patriots with this same survival ordeal, refused to give the dazed and disoriented football players even the slightest hint as to their exact location. However, the infamously Machiavellian coach told his draft picks that there was no potable surface water for "hundreds of miles"; that it would be in their best interests not to attempt to contact any locals who crossed their path; that only the fruit at the very center of the thornbushes would be edible; that most of the indigenous wildlife, especially the arachnids, was very, very poisonous; and that one of the things he had just told them was a lie.

"Show me what you got, boys," Belichick said to the group from the backseat of a spotless black Range Rover. "If you want to be on this team, I'll see you in four days. And if you've been paying attention at all, you'll know exactly what to do. Oh, you can take your blindfolds off now. "

"By the way, Devin [McCourty]? I'd check that flashlight you're holding to see if it has any batteries. I might have forgotten to put them in," Belichick continued. "Not that a little thing like that should stop you. See Wes [Welker], here, the man with the honor of being my chauffeur? This resourceful bastard actually beat me home, so it's not like it can't be done.

"Now don't let that desert sun get to you, boys. It can play some pretty crazy tricks on the mind," he added. "Okay, Wes, let's get out of here."

After Belichick gave the confused group a small handgun loaded with a single bullet "just in cases someone wants the easy way out," the luxury SUV drove off, sending sand and dust flying into the players' eyes.

Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes, Taylor Price, Aaron Hernandez, Zoltan Mesko, Ted Larsen, Thomas Welch, Brandon Deaderick, Kade Weston, and Zac Robinson have been traversing the barren wasteland now for three days, walking over 60-foot sand dunes and braving the arid conditions while 35-mph winds whip sand into their unprotected eyes.

Second-round pick Jermaine Cunningham, a promising outside linebacker, died Thursday of sunstroke.

"I think [Belichick] drugged us," McCourty, the former Rutgers cornerback, said. "We were all at his home for that welcoming dinner, and the next thing I knew I was blindfolded, going in and out of consciousness. I know at one point we were in a plane, because I heard a captain's announcement. When I tried to take my blindfold off I'm pretty sure Tedy Bruschi hit me across the face with a Super Bowl trophy. That's how I lost these teeth, I think."

"I don't think we're in America," said 62nd overall pick Brandon Spikes, tilting a canteen upside down in a failed attempt to get one last drop of water. "I've never seen lizards that size in America. [Kade] Weston never had a chance."

Although the group of draft picks thought they were making progress Thursday, they were demoralized when they came upon footprints they determined to be their own—an indicator that they had been walking in a circle for the last day and a half. The players were further dispirited when they discovered a Patriots-hat-wearing skeleton buried just beneath the sand that turned out to be the remains of 2009 New England draft pick Rich Ohrnberger.

"Ohrnberger was a big guy, man," former Ohio wide receiver Taylor Price said. "He carried a lot of water in that big body, and he didn't make it. What chance does a skill-position player like me have? We're lost. Jesus Christ, Welch, you got us lost."

"We're all gonna die," he added.

The players again thought they were on the right track when they found a backpack containing kindling material, 12 cans of refried beans, and a note from Belichick saying, "Enjoy!" However, after nearly eating the beans, former Oklahoma State quarterback Zac Robinson dumped them all out on the ground and kicked sand over them.

"You idiots, they're probably poisonous," Robinson said. "Or maybe they aren't poisonous, and he just wants us to think they're poisonous. Either way, this man is insane. He's trying to %#@% with us. This is a game to him. Everything's a game to him. Can't you see? This is all one big #++%*@* game!"

As of press time, eight of the 12 draft picks remained alive. Although they have largely stuck together, the group has steadily fractured. With dehydration and hysteria setting in, Thomas Welch severely beat and nearly killed Zoltan Mesko with the butt end of the flashlight for eating the last sand cake, and Rob Gronkowski was muttering that he would murder anyone who even thought about stealing his "precious, precious diamonds."
"Look at them," said Belichick, cool and comfortable in an impeccable white safari suit, watching from a dune several hundred yards away with team owner Robert Kraft and quarterback Tom Brady. "For God's sake, none of those beans were poisonous…. I don't think any of them are worth a damn. Let's just leave."

- so wes appears to be slightly ahead of schedule. still interested to see how tate and holt fit into this offense, even taylor price.
- very excited to see what the new TEs can do. between crumpler, gronkowski, and hernandez...there are def. added options in the passing game. although crumpler...hope dude trimmed up a bit
- spikes appears to be right on track to start alongside mayo. could develop into a hell of a tandem inside.
- secondary
sick.gif

- brady...get this dude signed asap

i also heard we're looking at adewale ogunleye but now there appears to be nothing going on with that
nerd.gif

Yeah, he was in Foxboro for a tryout. Guess with Burgess contemplating retirement, release of Crable, they are covering their bases.

so far in camp, it seems the only bright spot on offense is the new TE corp. o-line is a mess right now. the runningbacks have struggled. every notable catch or TD seems to be coming from gronk or hernandez.

really need cunningham to make some strides at OLB with burgess and crable gone. read that hes been learning and progressing, but i can't imagine he's close to being starter ready yet.

big zoltan appears to be having a good camp after early struggles from what i read.

not that i know of. progressing tho. im not sure if theyre waiting to see mannings deal first or what. but they will take care of him. they have to.

Back
Top Bottom