OFFICIAL PBA THREAD

go realtors!

great game by marlou, dominating with blocks, intimidation, and assists out of double teams.. kelly still shoots too many 3s but his nike rep sure loves him.

james yap and kerby raymundo wouldn't be
censoredpg7.gif
if the refs didn't let them usetheir off arms to create space all the time..

Originally Posted by size twelve

go realtors!

great game by marlou, dominating with blocks, intimidation, and assists out of double teams.. kelly still shoots too many 3s but his nike rep sure loves him.

james yap and kerby raymundo wouldn't be
censoredpg7.gif
if the refs didn't let them use their off arms to create space all the time..

Yeah I noticed that James Yap often uses his arms to create space for his jumpshots...

...and then the ref calls a foul on the defender whose face got in the way of james's arm.

but hey, i guess that's the way it is.

mike's boy ryan reyes actually had a good game too, scored his only basket with 3:15 to go in the 4th, but played great d on james (even used his 6th foulwith 1:56 to prevent an easy layup) and had some nice passes to bitoy omolon for some easy layups when SLR was making their run from down 10 to up 10..

Originally Posted by size twelve

mike's boy ryan reyes actually had a good game too, scored his only basket with 3:15 to go in the 4th, but played great d on james (even used his 6th foul with 1:56 to prevent an easy layup) and had some nice passes to bitoy omolon for some easy layups when SLR was making their run from down 10 to up 10..

Haha. I spoke to him prior to the game and I asked if he was gonna be on Yap... I hope he can keep up the D on him.
1 down, 3 to go...
smokin.gif

Funny how you mention Bitoy. When I was there, we were walking around the shops in Eastwood and he was @ Nike Park. Just by looking at him, I would'venever thought dude scored 40 points in a PBA game.
tongue.gif

[table][tr][td]STA. LUCIA A WIN AWAY FROM 1ST ALL-FILIPINO TITLE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Realtors buck slow start to move up 3-2[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Sunday, 24 February 2008[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Sta. Lucia Realty simply outplayed a Purefoods side minus top gun James Yap, scoring an 88-76 victory to move on the doorstep of the 2007-08 Smart PBA Philippine Cup championship Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Realtors adjusted better playing short-handed sans Joseph Yeo, toughening up on defense and working steadier offensively as they took the crucial 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven series.

2008-02-24_kelly_7221.jpg

They take the first of their two cracks at the coveted all-Filipino crown Wednesday in the same venue.

"Purefoods is a strong team and we have to work hard again. We'll make our preparations and we'll see," said Sta. Lucia coach Boyet Fernandez.

Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio described Yap as a wounded warrior, expecting him to give the team a tremendous boost in Game Six.

"Playing without James Yap is like running the marathon with one leg. We did everything humanly possible tonight but we came up short," said Gregorio.

"We've been in and survived a tighter situation before. We've survived from a 1-3 hole before and I believe we can still give effort and energy to rally in this series," Gregorio added.

After a slow start, Kelly Williams and Dennis Espino got things done for the Realtors in the second period, Nelbert Omolon in the third, and Paolo Mendoza and Marlou Aquino in the fourth.

Mendoza and Ryan Reyes did a good job playing extended minutes in the absence of Yeo.

Peter June Simon, meanwhile, struggled ironically when he was expected to step up minus Yap. Averaging 18.8 points per game in the series, Simon scored only three points in Game 5, is lowest output this conference.

The Realtors recalled their old defensive form, holding the Giants to their lowest output in the series. Seventy-six was Purefoods' second lowest output in the tourney.

"We're really a defensive team. For as long as we're able to play our defense, we'll be doing good in this series," said Fernandez.

Williams broke out of a two-game slump, coming through with a huge double-double game with 20 points and 16 rebounds, his 21st double-double in the conference. No other player has more than 17 in the tournament.

Espino made 15 points with eight in the second period, Omolon chipped in 14 also with eight in the third while Aquino poured all of his 12 in the payoff quarter.

Mendoza, playing on borrowed time, had timely hits and finished with nine, all in the final half.

The former UP Maroon rattled in seven straight points early in the fourth, giving the Realtors the first of their two 18-point spreads at 71-53.

Aquino took over from there as the Realtors kept the Giants at bay the rest of the way.

Purefoods once again showed a different look to start the game, combining Kerby Raymundo, Jondan Salvador, Ardy Larong, Roger Yap and Chico Lanete.

Taking the spot of Yap, Lanete put in four points, three rebounds, one assist and one steal in the first half when the Giants led by as many as 11 before settling for a 39-37 edge at the turn.

The two teams figured in a defensive battle, ending up with their lowest combined first-half output in the series.

Raymundo poured in nine points in the opening quarter but went scoreless in seven minutes in the second period. Rey Evangelista, Romel Adducul and Lanete took over from Raymundo in the second canto.

Williams and Espino came to the fore for Sta. Lucia in the second period, firing eight apiece as the Realtors came within two at halftime.

The scores:

Sta. Lucia 88 - Williams 20, Espino 15, Omolon 14, Aquino 12, Mendoza 9, Reyes 8, Miranda 6, Coronel 2, Gonzales 2.

Purefoods 76 - Raymundo 20, Lanete 10, Castillo 9, Pingris 8, Yap 8, Evangelista 6, Adducul 5, Salvador 4, Sanz 3, Simon 3, Larong 0, Yee 0.

Quarterscores: 15-19, 37-39, 62-50, 88-76.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Miranda is the key to SLR's success....he keeps the pace of the game, controls the flow and makes his teammates look good...I just don't get it whenBoyet always sits him down on the bench come last 2 mins. of the game....even Quinito knows that Miranda is the most underrated player of SLR...

Quick question, whose the "Kobe" or the "Jordan" of the PBA? I want to get a PBA jersey but I don't know which one to get. Any help?LOL

IMHO

Jordan = Mark Caguioa
Kobe = James Yap
Ron Artest = Junthy Valenzuela look alike of Diego ( BUBBLE GANG )
Rael LaFrentz = Mick Pennisi
Chris Paul = Mike Cortez
Monta Ellis = Cyrus Baguio
Kurt Thomas = Dennis Espino
Ben Wallace = Chad Alonzo of Harbor Center ( PBL )
Nate Robinson = Wynne Arboleda

LOOK ALIKES! found this in another forum, just wanted to share

f_1m_1eba1f1.gif

f_2m_2825ec0.gif

f_3m_9ea2371.gif

f_4m_1ad2414.gif

f_5m_b0f47c5.gif

f_6m_21f9b50.gif

f_7m_2295bc7.gif

f_8m_873332e.gif

f_9m_13d4437.gif

f_10m_d7eeb6f.gif

f_11m_809df3a.gif

f_12m_185fd6c.gif

f_13m_20227cd.gif

f_14m_ddc74d8.gif

f_15m_274051a.gif

f_17m_984e331.gif

f_18m_07dea4c.jpg

Originally Posted by ceehjayem

Quick question, whose the "Kobe" or the "Jordan" of the PBA? I want to get a PBA jersey but I don't know which one to get. Any help? LOL

You should get the Kwame Brown of the PBA..
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Congrats SLR!!

Ryan, nice hit on the right side... that and Dennis' high bank pretty much sealed it up.

Vaay niice!

^ Serious. Almost anything he threw up, went in... Automatic.
smokin.gif

I talked to Ryan and told him I was surprised PF had Simon on the bench for a long part of the 4th quarter. He said he didn't even realize it till Imentioned it to him. As hot as he was for the most part of the game, he wasn't on the floor till it was too late.

congrats to the realtors. great game last night!
pimp.gif

simon had a great game too. good job to both teams

i went last sunday at SLR victory party..

i'l post some pics when its ready some of my pics was messed up..

Long line for the food....

Some fireworks display....

This is the secret weapon of SLR. Now almost every team istrying to get him.

This was the pics from last Sunday's party. Sorry if my post is a bit late some of my pics were a bit blurry.

hey guys just saw the magnolia-purefoods game, darius rice was shooting the lights out, the thing that made me say woah was the play wherin purefoods was on a3 on 1 break and he stepped back and shot a 3 pointer to tie the game. he was a bit of a ball hog at the start, the commentator even said at the start of the2nd half that he doesnt have a single assist hahaha

anyway, another thing that caught my eye was olsen wearing jordan 3s. any idea if this would be released this year? and when was it retroed? thanks. im lookingto buy one but im a few years late hehhe

[table][tr][td]DEFENSE DOES IT FOR OFFENSE-MINDED AIR21[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Thomas, Santos-led Express hand Tigers first loss[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Sunday, 13 April 2008[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
2008-04-13_SANTOS9864.jpg

AIR21 admittedly still has a long way to go before it could fully adjust to a new mind-set.
But it's getting there, slowly but steadily.

Case in point was the Express' stifling of the Coca-Cola Tigers in the stretches that mattered most to emerge with a 102-95 triumph Sunday in the Smart PBA Fiesta Conference at the Araneta Coliseum.

Steven Thomas' 25 points and 15 rebounds led the double figures submitted by all of Air21's starters, but main factor for coach Bo Perasol was the way his charges, usally known more for their offense, frustrated their previously unbeaten opponent on theother end of the court.

"It was a hell of a job for the guys, the way they stood out in defense," said Perasol after the big victory that snapped them out of a two-game slide and gave them an even 2-2 win-loss record.

"I told them that offensively they can match up with any team, so it is in defense that they have to improve on. I think they took that to heart," he said.

It was actually the seventh straight game dating back to the previous conference the Express won a game when holding opponents to less than 100 points in a game.

"It's not much since we still gave up 95 points but it's still a far cry from the 105, 106 points we've been giving up. I just hope they'll be able to sustain this intensity in defense," he added.

The Express were second in scoring with a shade above 100 points a game, but gave up close to 106 points each time for the worst defensive efforts in the recent Samrt Philippine Cup, where they wound up seventh. This new-found defensive tenacity was showcased most after Coke, which rallied to win in each of its first three games, again surged back from as much as 15 points down to threaten within 78-81, still 7:55 to go.

The Express held the Tigers scoreless for more than three minutes while Thomas and Arwind Santos led in pouring in the points and suddenly it was an 89-78 game that clearly took the wind out of Coke's sails.

Perasol also pointed out the game is dedicated to the memory of Aquilino Alvarez, Sr., who passed away last Friday. He was the father of team manager and Air21president Lito Alvarez.

The loss was the first in four games for the Tigers, notwithstanding the 26 points and six assists by new import George Gervin, Jr., son of the former NBA great.

Still, the six-footer showed some shakiness by going 9-of-19 from the field and committing seven turnovers.

The usually reliable Jason Dixon had 16 points and 11 rebounds, but save for Mark Macapagal's 10 points, no other Coke starter managed to score in double digits.

In contrast, Santos added 21 points and 14 rebounds, Homer Se and Wynne Arboleda 17 each, with the point guard adding 11 assists, and Ranidel de Ocampo 10 points for Air21.

Also frustrated was Coke forward Mark Telan, who as early as the third quarter became the 34th member of the elite 1,000-offensive rebounds club.

Its balanced scoring, plus a torrid 9-of-10 field shooting to start the game, enabled Air21 to lead by as much as 24-9 in the first quarter, but Coke still managed to crawl back and make a tighter game of it.

Ronjay Buenafe, who had 11 points off the bench, joined hands with Gervin in moving the Tigers to within two points four times, the last at 65-67.

Despite a rain of treys from the likes of Arboleda and
Santos, Coke still threatened at 78-81 on Gervin's left-handed layup, but that proved to be the last serious menace from the Tigers.

The scores:

Air 21 102 -- Thomas 25, Santos 21, Se 17, Arboleda 17, De Ocampo 10, Canaleta 8, Kramer 2, Cruz 2, Sotto 0.

Coke 95 -- Gervin 26, Dixon 16, Buenafe 11, Macapagal 10, Taulava 9, Belasco 8, Catli 6, Cabagnot 6, Telan 3.
Quarterscores: 25-17, 48-41, 67-65, 102-95. [/td] [/tr][/table]

[h3]A few days old, but I had to... Nice going bruh!
[/h3][h3]
[/h3][h3]Realtors subdue Gin Kings, now 3-0[/h3]Saturday, 12 April 2008 (Viewed119 times)
by Josef Ramos

2407022335_628139de4f_m.jpg
TACLOBAN City - Sta. Lucia Realty stayed unstoppable in first three games while Ginebra, despite minor changes in itsline-up, remained winless in first three outings.

The Sta. Lucia Realtors doused cold water to the Gin Kings' blazing fourth quarter rally en route to a 101-97 triumph Saturday night in the 33rd SmartPBA Fiesta Conference here at the Tacloban Convention Center.

Sta. Lucia Realty, behind the all-out effort of hulking 6-foot-11 import Wesley Wilson, Kelly Williams and rookie Ryan Reyes, regained the share of leadwith the Coca-Cola Tigers on top with 3-0 record.
2254159417_357c2a8587_m.jpg

Ginebra hired 6-foot-11 NBA veteran big man Ernest Brown, a former Boston Celtics and Miami Heat player, to replace ineffective Rashon Turner and,surprisingly, Fil-Am Alex Crisano suited up for the Gin Kings too.

But they did not provide any solution to Ginebra's sliding campaign, as the Gin Kings have now joined the Welcoat Dragons to the bottom of the chartwith identical 0-3 card.

2254957296_be97878317_m.jpg
Sta. Lucia mentorBoyet Fernandez said through text message: "it is a very tough game, I do credit Ginebra for coming back but my guys never give up and my hats off to myplayers because they played with lots of pride."

Rookie Ryan Reyes, who made in 22 points, handed the Realtors their biggest lead, 33-53, with a minute left in first half, but the never-say-die attitude ofthe Gin Kings lived up in the last period to put the game on a tightly contest.

Sophomore Kelly Williams, who also had 22 points, scored on a three-point play to provide Sta. Lucia Realty a 78-67 lead at the end of third quarter.

After rookie Dennis Daa hit his jump shot for Sta. Lucia's 94-79 advantage with 6:39 left in the fourth, Ginebra answered with a scary 15-1 run, cappedby the three-point of Mark Caguioa, to slice the deficit to just 94-95 with 2:18 left.

Wesley Wilson, who pumped in 22 points and collected 14 rebounds, made successive split free throws that put Sta. Lucia Realty to a 97-94 lead with 39 ticksleft.

Mark Caguioa, who paced Ginebra with 28 points, muffed a game-tying three-pointer with 26 ticks remaining.

The Gin Kings got 24 points and eight boards from debuting Brown.

The Sta. Lucia Realtors sealed all things after converting four of six free throws in the last 20 seconds.

Veteran Paolo Mendoza, who had back-to-back treys in third quarter, and Nelbert Omolon merged for 16 points.

Reyes and Wilson delivered 14 points each in first half, while Williams totaled 12, as the Realtors controlled the first quarter (32-20) and second quarter(53-35).

Team Captain Dennis Espino did not suit up in the game due to a minor injury.

Returning Ginebra 6-foot-7 Alex Crisano, meanwhile, presented a clearance from the Office of the President that allowed him to play in the PBA after almostfour years of absence.

Individual Scores:

Sta. Lucia 101 - Wilson 22, Williams 22, Reyes 22, Mendoza 8, Omolon 8, Miranda 7, Daa 6, Aquino 4, Yeo 2, Butel 0.

Ginebra 97 - Caguioa 28, Brown 24, Helterbrand 15, Tubid 11, Crisano 7, Mamaril 6, Reavis 3, Salvacion 3, Artadi 0, Wilson 0, Pacana0.
Quarter Scores: 32-20, 53-35, 78-67, 101-97

Back
Top Bottom