OFFICIAL PBA THREAD

I know for a fact that there are LOTS and LOTS of photos of PBA games. You can try searching flickr and photobucket. Usually keywords are PBA, BarangayGinebra, and other team names.

How I wish there'd be a Pinoy version of Getty
smile.gif

i know this pics are old pero just wanted to share nakita ko sa flickr...james yap and kelly williams wearing jordan xx3's

Rich Alvarez wearing Under Armour's (He's the PBA version of Shane Battier, came from a good school but didn't sign with Nike or Adidas)
n548333588_1102335_3699.jpg

Peek and Kerby wearing HDs
n548333588_1102333_3114.jpg

HDs only on this photo:
n548333588_1102328_1735.jpg

No surprises in Guiao's RP five crew
Asi, Pennisi join up with rookies

By Musong R. Castillo
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines-An athletic and highly motivated 14-man roster was named by national coach Yeng Guiao Thursday for the Philippine basketball team that willstart preparing for the FIBA-Asia Qualifying in China next year.

And the firebrand mentor hopes that two old hands could stand up against the region's taller players who have proven to be the main stumbling blocks forprevious RP squads.

"Asi (Taulava) and Mick (Pennisi) are here and they can provide us with some size," Guiao said after naming the members of the latest PBA-backedsquad.

"We can match up to a certain degree (with the other countries). Sana meron tayong (I hope we have) naturalized players."

Together with the two half-Filipino centers who are also veterans of the last PBA-bankrolled squad, Guiao named Ranidel De Ocampo and Arwind Santos of Air21,Willie Miller and Sonny Thoss of Alaska, Jay-Jay Helterbrand of Barangay Ginebra, Kerby Raymundo and James Yap of Purefoods, Gabe Norwood of Rain or Shine, RedBull's Cyrus Baguio, Talk 'N Text rookie Jared Dillinger, and Sta. Lucia Realty's Ryan Reyes and Kelly Williams.

"We have asked all of these players if they are willing to commit to the cause of the national team," said Guiao, who was in constant touch with afive-man advisory group composed of former RP team coaches tapped by the Philippine Basketball Association.

"We did not force anyone nor did we twist anybody's arm for them to represent the country."

The team gathers for the first time on Monday in a dinner where Guiao will discuss his objective, philosophies and "bond" with his players. Regularpractice will start every Monday thereafter at The Arena in San Juan City.

Speed, scoring ability

"I am very confident with our talent in the wing and point guard spots," said Guiao, who is calling the shots for the RP team for the first time."We will have speed and the scoring ability with this lineup and some athletic guys like Kelly and Gabe.

"Mick and Asi will have to hold their own against the other big guys."

One tournament where this team is expected to lord it over is the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) championship, where the winner will representthe region in the FIBA-Asia.

"It's the (Seaba) championship or nothing," said PBA commissioner Renauld Barrios, who was with Guiao when the RP team was named at theleague's offices in Libis, Quezon City. "That's why we will send this same team to the Seaba."

Several countries are bidding to host the Seaba. The tournament will be played in May, while the FIBA-Asia could be held as early as August or as late asSeptember.

"We will make adjustments in our PBA calendar because we are looking at joining the Jones Cup and a pocket tournament in the Middle East in July,"Barrios said. "We will also try to organize a tournament here in Manila to give coach Yeng tournament games before the actual competition in China."

Miller, winner of two PBA MVP awards, Dillinger, Norwood, Reyes and Baguio are the rookies in the team, though Guiao reiterated that he is not closing the dooron "one or two players whom we think the team would need."

He also said that he talked to Peter Aguilar, the ex-pro who is the father of Western Kentucky reserve center Japeth, who will try out for a slot once hegraduates in May.

Alapag, Caguioa left out

Guiao also explained why Talk 'N Text's Jimmy Alapag and Ginebra gunslinger Mark Caguioa were not on the roster.

"He is very talented," Guiao said of the 5-foot-9 Alapag, a member of the last FIBA-Asia team that finished ninth in Japan. "But the problem isthe mismatches in the point guard position are too emphasized in international tournaments."

Norwood was a point guard with George Mason University in the US NCAA, while the 6-foot-5 Dillinger was with the University of Hawaii.

Most of the quarterbacking chores in this team, however, are expected to be taken up by Helterbrand.

Guiao said he did not take a gamble on Caguioa, Ginebra's leading scorer-who is still in the United States and has yet to suit up for the Gin Kings in theongoing Philippine Cup-because of the player's tendonitis in both knees.

"We would rather be sure of the players that we have in the league (right now)," he said. "I talked to coach Jong (Uichico of Ginebra) about thesituation of Mark and he really couldn't tell. We decided to tap some other players."

i wonder how they leave guys like mac cardona out of the team, i mean give the guy a tryout or something, he can defend and his hook shot is very unorthodoxand can work against taller counterparts.

why not put dondon hotiveros & renren ritualo in the line up??
those gunners are really needed..

[table][tr][td]CARDONA ALMOST SINGLEHANDEDLY LIFTS TNT OVER RED BULL[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sending message to Guiao, conference's leading scorer fires tournament and career-high 42[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Sunday, 16 November 2008[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
MAC-Mac Cardona firmly believes he should at least be considered for the national pool and admittedly felt dejected upon learning he was not in the lineup bared last Thursday.

He is now making a case for himself and no better than launching his actions and words of appeal directly to the man who is handling the RP Team, Red Bull head coach Yeng Guiao.

2008-11-16_cardona_6718.jpg

"I work hard, I play hard, kaya ang game na ito parang message ko na rin kay Coach Yeng na I deserve to be in the national team," said Cardona after pouring a conference-high 42 points in leading Talk 'N Text to a 103-93 win over Guiao and his Red Bull squad Sunday in the KFC PBA Philippine Cup at the Cuneta Astrodome.

The scorching performance led the Tropang Texters to their second straight win and an even 5-5 win-loss record.

For Cardona it is his way of telling Guiao: "Take me."

"I think I should have been considered," said Cardona, left out of Guiao's initial 14-man national pool from which will be culled the country's representatives to next year's Asian qualifying tournament for the 2010 World Championship.

Guiao actually has until next year to fully make up his mind on who the members of his team will be. Cardona vows to keep on making his case until then.

"Hoping pa rin ako," he stated. "Gustong-gusto ko kasing mag-national team. Minsan-minsan lang iyon eh."

Guiao currently has more pressing concerns since the loss was Red Bull's fourth straight that dropped it to a 3-7 slate.

Six Red Bull players came up with at least 10 points, led by Celino Cruz's 15. But they simply had no answer to TNT's Cardona-led attack that gained full momentum in the third period and hardly let up from there.

Cardona's 42 eclipsed by four his previous career-high and easily topped the previous conference-high of 37 set by Purefoods' Kerby Raymundo.

It was also the first 40-point game by a local since Sta. Lucia Realty's Nelbert Omolon posted 40 in the same tournament last January and no one has seen such a torrid scoring since Barangay Ginebra's Mark Caguioa tallied 45 in June 2006.

The former La Sallestar was at his fieriest in the third period, where he torched Red Bull's defenders with 17 of his points and together with Jason Castro, outscored the entire Bulls by themselves 27-20.

Castro, not utilized for the entire first half after arriving late for the game, had 10 in the quarter, helping the Tropang Texters take an 82-70 lead which they would stretch to 87-71 on a Yancy de Ocampo trey, just over a minute into the fourth canto.

Cardona surpassed his career-high with a triple to make it 97-88, 2:58 remaining, and added another twinner just over a minute later to cap a game in which he shot 8-of-14 from the field, including 5-of-7 from beyond the arc, and also had six rebounds, three assists and a steal.

Cyrus Baguio was limited to just five points in a 72-80 loss to Purefoods last Friday and atoned for that by scoring eight in the first half alone, stoking Red Bull's surge to a 50-44 halftime lead.

His production included six in the second quarter, highlighted by charities that capped an 8-2 run and gave the Barakos a 45-35 spread. He would score only two more points the rest of the way, however.

"I knew that if we could contain Baguio, malaking bagay sa amin iyon," said TNT coach Chot Reyes.

There were several other things already going for TNT, like a better field goal shooting in the half (42.5 percent to 40.
glasses.gif
and the fact the Texters were behind by only six despite committing more turnovers 13-11. They would wind up the game with a 23-25 edge in miscues.

Also, the Texters have a consistent scoring threat in Cardona, the tournament's leading scorer who reiterated that status by scattering 15 in the first half, promising a portent of things to come. (NCo)

The scores:

Talk 'N Text 103 - Cardona 42, Peek 14, Castro 10, Dillinger 9, Carey 8, De Ocampo 8, Allado 6, Ritualo 5, Alapag 1, Escobal 0, Reyes 0, Aljamal 0.

Red Bull 93 - Cruz 15, Espinas 14, Rodriguez 11, Najorda 10, Sharma 10, Baguio 10, Chan 9, Hubalde 6, Duncil 4, Hrabak 4, Ybanez 0.

Quarterscores: 24-29, 44-50, 82-70, 103-93.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

i think guiao should give cardona a chance to play.. for me i would like to see cardona there than baguio.. haha..

If im the coach, i'll drop Helterbrand and pick Cardona..

i'll make Norwood & Dillinger for the PG position..

Originally Posted by mstephen27

i think guiao should give cardona a chance to play.. for me i would like to see cardona there than baguio.. haha..

yup, although i like baguio's game, sa tingin ko mas may defense si mac saka yung tira nya very unorthodox , pwedeng advantage sa taller opponents

Cardona's message heard but unanswered [table][tr][td]
spacer.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]

By WAYLON GALVEZ

Talk 'N Text's Mark Cardona said his career-best production was meant to make one person take notice.

Disappointed when he was left out by RP Team coach Yeng Guiao in the national team, Cardona sent what he thought was a loud and clearmessage.

He dropped 42 points in a 103-93 win by the Tropang Texters against Red Bull the other night in the KFC-PBA Philippine Cup hoping Guiaowould notice.

Guiao noticed, but is still not convinced Cardona should be in the team. Not yet, anyway.

The coach said he "personally considered" Cardona in his 14-man pool from where he would select the final 12 in next year'sFIBA-Asia Championship in China.

"But in that position (shooting guard), marami siyang kalaban," Guiao said in a phone interview yesterday. "Just because hescored 42 points doesn't mean he should be in the national team.

"It's not that simple."

He said he doesn't see Cardona scoring 42 points every day.

"It's not every night that you'll score 42, particularly in international competitions. So the question is, what other thingscan he be useful for the team?" he said.

By comparison, Guiao mentioned Most Valuable Players Willie Miller, James Yap and Kelly Williams, as well as Jayjay Helterbrand, as playerswho can do the same things Cardona does.

"We have a lot of scorers."

After the TNT-Red Bull game, Cardona said: "Nung nakita ko yung line-up (of the national team), naiisip ko kahit paano I deserve to beincluded or considered. Siguro message ko na din ito kay coach Yeng."

Guiao admitted though that what Cardona did merits a second look.

Cardona shot 17-of-26 from the field including 5-of-7 from the three-point territory and increased his league-leading scoring average to26.1 points per game.

Guiao also said that people should not compare the Bulls' Cyrus Baguio, whom he included to the national team, to Cardona.

"It's not one or the other. I don't think that's the way to look at it," said Guiao to deflect some observations thathe chose Baguio because he is from Red Bull.

What he used as an example was Cardona against his TNT rookie teammate Jared Dillinger, who at 6-foot-5 plays the 1-2-3 positions could bean advantage for the nationals against other countries.

"Cardona is more of a scorer, but Jared has the size, he can play defense as well," Guiao said.

Cardona said he is hopeful that he would be invited by Guiao after the coach mentioned that there's a possibility of adding one or twomore players to the pool.

http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20081118141218.html

Back
Top Bottom