OFFICIAL PBA THREAD

Badtrip!
devil.gif

Originally Posted by foshizzles

hahaha go for 3-0. Been an Alaska fan since I was in HS...

same here! been a fan even before the grand slam year hehe sean chambers!!!! haha

[table][tr][td]TALK 'N TEXT BOUNCES BACK WITH BLOWOUT WIN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tropang Texters silence LA, closes to an Aces 1-2[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Sunday, 01 February 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
TALK 'N TALK N Text finally flashed its feared fiery form and gave Alaska a 92-73 beating Sunday for its breakthrough win in the KFC PBA Philippine Cup championship series at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Tropang Texters got off to a fast start and continuously poured on the heat in the succeeding periods to finally earn their first win after harrowing losses in the best-of-seven duel's first two games.

"All we wanted coming in was to get one and worry about getting another later," said TNT coach Chot Reyes, before expressing what he believed as the keys to his players showing up with the kind of game expected of them.

2009-02-01_cardona_2273.jpg

"Finally, we were able to knock down our shots, but even more critical was our defense. We contained (LA) Tenorio and we were able to contain their entire team," he said.

It was the kind of explosive game Alaska coach Tim Cone expected from TNT. But he couldn't have imagined the kind of thrashing his team got, not even in his wildest dreams.

The Aces have not had such a beating in the conference since an 80-100 loss to Red Bull last Dec. 10 and have not had a worse defeat in the finals since getting drubbed by Gordon's Gin 79-106 in Game 6 of the 1997 Commissioner's Cup.

"We faced the team we thought we would face in Game 1 and Game 2," said Cone. "The team we played tonight is same team we're gonna play in the succeeding games of this series and we have to devise more plans to counter that."

Game 4 of the finals supported by Dickies, Solar Sports, Gateway Cineplex-10, Alaska, Talk N Text and Araneta Center set Wednesday also at the Big Dome.

Mac-Mac Cardona scattered 23 points to lead TNT's balanced attack that also saw Jimmy Alapag score 19 and Jared Dillinger, scoreless in a 91-100 loss in Game 2 last Friday, wound up with 15. Harvey Carey added 11 and a game-high 14 rebounds.

"We spent a lot of energy winning those first two games and it was so hard to match their energy tonight," Cone said. "They really played with their backs to the wall. We couldn't match that."

Still, he was able to put up a brave face, pointing out the loss is "just one game in seven."

Larry Fonacier came off the bench for 13 points, the same output by Sonny Thoss and Reynel Hugnatan, who also had 12 rebounds, but Alaska sorely missed the infectious games of LA Tenorio and Willie Miller most.

Tenorio, coming off 17-point, 10-assist Game 2 performance that came after a career-high 27 points in the opener, went scoreless for the game. He has not had such a dry spell since an 88-92 loss to Rain or Shine last Nov. 19.

"LA was very fatigued in practice (Saturday)," related Cone. "I was trying to limit his minutes tonight and when they got the lead, I felt it was useless extending him, pushing him. Better to reserve him for Game 4."

For his part, Miller wound up with just 11 points after being held scoreless in the second half.
With their leading energy-givers down, the Aces had little else to turn to.

The final score reflected little of TN's dominance in practically all aspects of the game, picking up from where it left off in the first half by leading by as much as 75-45 in the last 3:02 of the third period.

According to the league's statisticians, 23 of 27 teams in league history which took a 2-0 lead in a best-of-seven duel went on to win the series. Ditto for all nine teams which went up 3-0, so TNT was practically fighting for dear life.

It showed in the way the Texters came out with a renewed sense of urgency concretized by a new gameplan: A starting unit of Alapag and Jason Castro at the backcourt and Cardona, first-time starter Dillinger and Ali Peek at the frontline.

The TNT speedsters readily wrought havoc in Alaska's defense, resulting in the Texters matching their biggest lead of the series at eight points with a 23-15 spread after the first quarter.

The Aces were repeatedly frustrated in their bid to slow the game down, shooting just 6-of-20 after the first period and 14-of-37 in all, compared to the Texters' 18-of-41, at the half.

Cardona's 10 points and Castro's eight in the first quarter led the TNT attack before Alapag , Carey and Dillinger took over in the second, stretching its advantage to 45-29, on Dillinger's two-handed dunk off Carey's feed, 2:42 to go in the half.

Alapag and Carey each scored nine points in the second period, with Dillinger adding seven.
The Texters got their game running in all cylinders in the second period, garnering 10 fastbreak points and nine points off as many Aces turnovers.

The scores:

Talk 'N Text -92 - Cardona 23, Alapag 19, Dillinger 15, Carey 11, Castro 9, de Pcampo Y. 8, Peek 5, de Ocampo R. 2, Reyes 0, Aljamal 0, Ritualo 0.

Alaska 73 - Fonacier 13, Thoss 13, Hugnatan 13, Miller 11, dela Cruz 7, Ferriols 6, Borboran 4, Cariaso 4, Devance 2, Tenorio 0, Sotto 0.

Quarters: 23-15, 48-34, 77-54, 92-73.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by jepeh21

Originally Posted by normanesque

i think tnt will win game 3 coz if they don't its over...once again for them...and SMB fans will have their time with Cardona!
ano meron between smb fans and macmac?

hehehe...it was during the SMB-TNT semifinal series....Macmac got it from the crowd everytime he'd touch the ball....eventually during the last game whereTNT won the series and Macmac was the best player...when time expired, he got the ball and went in front of the SMB crowd...he "saluted" to the fansand telling them all to go home and was pointing to them fans,as if signaling to go to the exits!!!
roll.gif

i think tnt will win game 3 coz if they don't its over...once again for them...and SMB fans will have their time with Cardona!

hehehe...it was during the SMB-TNT semifinal series....Macmac got it from the crowd everytime he'd touch the ball....eventually during the last game where TNT won the series and Macmac was the best player...when time expired, he got the ball and went in front of the SMB crowd...he "saluted" to the fans and telling them all to go home and was pointing to them fans,as if signaling to go to the exits!!!
roll.gif
oic, ala reggie miller doing his bow down to the crowd antics, sana may video
roll.gif

jepeh21 wrote:

hehehe...it was during the SMB-TNT semifinal series....Macmac got it from the crowd everytime he'd touch the ball....eventually during the last game where TNT won the series and Macmac was the best player...when time expired, he got the ball and went in front of the SMB crowd...he "saluted" to the fans and telling them all to go home and was pointing to them fans,as if signaling to go to the exits!!!
roll.gif
oic, ala reggie miller doing his bow down to the crowd antics, sana may video
roll.gif

here you go:

^ and alapag was restraining him! i guess he felt afraid the SMB fans might throw things at cardona!hahahaha

Miller won the Best Player of the Conference!!! SO SORRY for Cardona, he had the better season compared to Miller..its just that, Cardona's.... (fill inthe blanks guys) hahaha

I went to last sundays game 3. too bad alaska lost. cardona got booed out of the gym everytime he touches the ball! honestly i dont like this guy. hedeserves to be P.E no1. masyado siya mayabang tlaga. Feeling kobe. he thinks he has the swagger. few years back i went to the semis match between ginebra andtnt. (it was a record for attendance for the pba. i think) he actually kicked Ronald Tubid when he was on the floor! I hope matalo talaga cla sa alaska. been afan since flying A's days.

MacMac in the ASG EAST Huarache 09s

Jimmy Alapag was waxing hot in the clutch hitting 3 straight threes in a stretch in the 4th quarter

2-2

back to square one.

Momentum on TNT.

2 more wins fellas.

Miller won the Best Player of the Conference!!! SO SORRY for Cardona, he had the better season compared to Miller..its just that, Cardona's.... (fill in the blanks guys) hahaha
i like willie miller but i think macmac was playing better this season, its unfortunate that he will notwin any awards or MVP's due to lack of votes from the media etc, clearly he isn't the most loved player but i think he was the best player thisconference.

[table][tr][td]MILLER NAMED CONFERENCE MVP A SECOND TIME[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Beats Cardona for Best Player of the Conference honors[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Wednesday, 04 February 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Two-time Most Valuable Player (MVP) awardee Willie Miller is now also a two-time Best Player of the Conference (BPC) winner.

The flamboyant
Alaskaguard bagged the BPC trophy in the KFC PBA Philippine Cup Wednesday, further validating his status as among the league's finest players.
2009-02-04_miller_2548.jpg

Miller, 31, was the runaway winner of the award, beating four eminent rivals in Talk 'N Text's Macmac Cardona, Coca-Cola's Asi Taulava, Sta. Lucia's Kelly Williams and Barangay Ginebra's Jayjay Helterbrand.

The BPC winner was awarded his trophy by league commissioner Sonny Barrios before Game Four of the KFC-PBA Philippine Cup best-of-seven finals at the Araneta Coliseum.

The former Letran stalwart won the award in runaway fashion as he gained the majority votes of the media, the players, the league TV coveror and the Commissioner's Office after finishing a strong third behind Taulava and Williams in the stats race.

Miller, who previously won the BPC in the 2005 Fiesta Conference while still with Talk 'N Text, amassed 1443 points as against Cardona's 870, Taulava's 470, Williams' 439 and Helterbrand's 359.

For winning the BPC honors, Miller automatically became a candidate for the season's MVP award.

Four of the last five BPC winners in the Philippine Cup went on to win season MVP honors and nine of 13 overall.

Miller, the league's top player in 2002 and 2007, is in the league record books as one of only seven players who have won the MVP award more than once. The others are Ramon Fernandez, Alvin Patrimonio, Bogs Adornado, Abet Guidaben, Benjie Paras and Danny Ildefonso.

The pride of Olongapo Cityalso is one of only nine players which have won the BPC award more than once after Ildefonso, Patrimonio, Vergel Meneses, Danny Seigle, Nelson Asaytono, Jerry Codiner and Kenneth Duremdes. But he is the first player to win a second MBP with a different team.

On top of his two MVP and BPC citations, Miller has also made the league's Mythical Selection four times.

The latest award could well be the most fulfilling for Miller, though, as this came in a conference where all the league's stars were present.

It would be recalled that the league's biggest names were with the RP team half of the season when Miller won the MVP awards in 2002 and 2007.

This time, he has the BPC award and a slot in the RP pool bound for the 2008 FIBA Asia championship. (NC)
[/td] [/tr][/table]

just saw the interview,
roll.gif
yung adrenaline nya umaapaw pa, i wonder whenthe love hate between macmac and the smb fans began?
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Barroca shows up everyone with 37 points to lead Toroman's cagers in surprise strong showing[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Wednesday, 04 February 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Coach Yeng Guiao gave no excuses. In fact, he was frank enough to admit that his team - Batang Burger King -- wasn't ready enough when it went face-to-face with the RP Team handled by Serbian coach Rajko Toroman Wednesday night at the Araneta Coliseum.
Guiao, who took over the coaching chores from Bo Perasol, said the team has been working with him just a little over a week and are still picking up their rhythm.
2009-02-04_baroca2.jpg

"The guys are not yet in good shape. Most of them are coming off vacations. But they're responding to the system," said Guiao of his team previously known as the Air21 Express.

There was no doubt that the Fighters, who were held to a 95-95 draw by the Nationals, are still working on their chemistry. For most of the game, they appeared tentative and struggled on some play patterns.

Guiao said the game magnified their need for a dependable big man.

"We are having problem filling the big men spot left vacant by (Don) Allado, (Dough) Kramer, Nino (Canaleta) and (JC) Intal. And it's difficult to find the appropriate big men to help us with the system," he said.

The fiery coach, who is calling the shots for the senior RP Team that aims to advance to the World Championships, heap praises on the Nationals for providing his team a good challenge.

"They're young and their potential is great. They'll be more dangerous if their wings and big men would be able to sharpen their skills," he offered.

RP Team guard Andy Barroca led all scorers with 37 and his leaning jumper over Wynne Arboleda with 1.9 seconds remaining enabled the Nationals to draw even.

"At least tonight they relied heavily on their point guard (Barroca). He had a good game going and they put the ball in his hands," said Guiao, who promised to give the Nationals a better competition on Friday.

"We may not be a lot better on Friday but at least we had an idea how to play them."

Arwind Santos led Burger Kings with 29 points. Gary David and Cyrus Baguio added 17 apiece and JR Quinahan had nine rebounds. (DBC)

The scores:

Burger King 95 - Santos 29, David 17, Baguio 17, Billones 8, Quinahan 6, Belga 6, Villanueva 4, Rodriguez 4, Arboleda 4, Cruz M. 0, Cruz C. 0, Alonzo 0, Se 0.

Smart-Gilas RP 95 - Barroca 37, Al-Hussaini 18, Baracael 16, Jazul 9, Cawaling 4, Guevarra 4, Slaughter 4, Buenafe 2, Tiu 1, Ballesteros 0.
Quarters: 28-19, 51-46, 70-71, 95-95. [/td] [/tr][/table]

Bring back the 90's Dominance!

Johnny A- LA Tenorio
Jolas- Willie Miller
Poch Juinio- Sonny Thoss
Bong Hawkins- Joe Devance
Jeff Cariaso as himself
laugh.gif
more than a decade and his stillplaying. Pretty amazing

I went to last sundays game 3. too bad alaska lost. cardona got booed out of the gym everytime he touches the ball! honestly i dont like this guy. he deserves to be P.E no1. masyado siya mayabang tlaga. Feeling kobe. he thinks he has the swagger. few years back i went to the semis match between ginebra and tnt. (it was a record for attendance for the pba. i think) he actually kicked Ronald Tubid when he was on the floor! I hope matalo talaga cla sa alaska. been a fan since flying A's days.

i say AMEN....sir jason16. well except for the last sentence.
laugh.gif
i am a die hard Ginebra fan since birth.....specially when they made that championship run with Henry James (whose now in jail? for selling marijuana) and Chris King as their respective imports.hay... the glory days of Philippine Bball.......
eyes.gif

miller time is correct pareng igie! Right on the money! sana matapos na this sunday!

Back
Top Bottom