OFFICIAL PBA THREAD

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tubid, Hugnatan, David, Tenorio, Yeo to come off the bench[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Tuesday, 14 April 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Peter June Simon is making his second straight All-Star appearance.

The intrepid Purefoods guard, the toast of this annual spectacle last year in Bacolod City, banners the reserves of the North and South teams that will test the mettle of Powerade-Team Pilipinas in a three-game series.
Simon joins starters Jay Washington, Eric Menk, Jimmy Alapag, Dondon Hontiveros and Dorian Pena in the South squad that will take a crack at the Nationals on April 24 in Panabo City, Davao del Norte.
Also coming off the bench for the South are Alaska's Reynel Hugnatan and John Ferriols, Burger King's JR Quinahan and Barangay Ginebra's Ronald Tubid.

Simon stole the spotlight from hometown heroes James Yap and Reynel Hugnatan by scoring 29 points, including five in overtime as the South held off the North, 168-158.

His standout performance earned him the Most Valuable Player trophy of the 2008 PBA All-Star Game, making him just the second player to win the award in his maiden appearance since Boy Cabahug pulled off the feat in 1989.

Jay-R Reyes (Rain or Shine), Gary David (Burger King), LA Tenorio (Alaska), Gabby Espinas (Barako Bull), and Joseph Yeo (Sta. Lucia Realty) make up the reserves for the North, which will face off with Asi Taulava and Co. on April 22 in Victorias City, Negros Occidental.

Marc Pingris, Rico Villanueva, Danny Ildefonso, Macmac Cardona and Paul Artadi will start for the North.

San Miguel Beer's Danny Siegle (South) and Lordy Tugade (North) were voted starters but both couldn't make it due to injury. Their spots went to teammates Pena and Ildefonso, who trailed them in the balloting.

Talk N Text coach Chot Reyes will call the shots for the North while Alaska mentor Tim Cone be on the sidelines for the South team.

Reyes will also coach the combined forces of the North and South starters that will play the Nationals on April 26 at the Araneta Coliseum.

The PBA veered away from the traditional All-Star Game between the North and South teams this year to help Powerade Team Pilipinas of coach Yeng Guiao in its training and buildup for the FIBA Asia World Championship qualifier in August.

Both the North and South All-Star teams will be reinforced by three imports although only two will be allowed to play at a time.

The remaining four imports that will not be picked by PBA Commissioner Renauld "Sonny" Barrios in the first two stops will beef the team that will play the Nationals on April 26.

Before plunging into action in the FIBA Asia World Championship qualifier, the Nationals will compete in the SEABA championship in June and the Jones Cup in July.

Beside Taulava, the other members of Powerade Team Pilipinas are Sonny Thoss, Mick Pennisi, Kerby Raymundo, Kelly Williams, Gabe Norwood, Ranidel de Ocampo, Jarred Dillinger, James Yap, Ryan Reyes, Willie Miller, Cyrus Baguio and Jayjay Helterbrand.
Taulava and Hontiveros are in their ninth All- Star Game while Alapag, Miller, Raymundo and Villanueva are making their seventh appearance in the annual classic. (DBC) [/td] [/tr][/table]

Burger King grants Baguio, Cruz trade wish

MANILA, Philippines - Cyrus Baguio finally got his wish to find a new team. So is Celino Cruz, who will address the immediate need of a team that badly needs acourt general.

In a transaction that was consummated after a marathon meeting Friday night, the Ginebra Gin Kings landed on their fold the high-flying Baguio while thePurefoods Tender Juicy Giants finally secured a quality point guard in Cruz.

"Marathon discussion kami (ng Friday), inabot na kami ng 6:30 p.m.," Burger King team manager Lito Alvarez told GMANews.TV. "After sufferingback-to-back losses, I believe it's time for us to make some changes."

The change was done swift and decisive by Burger King, which quickly dealt its unhappy swingman to a Gin King squad that is still uncertain on MarkCaguioa's future.

Caguioa has long been reported to return but has yet to come back in the country as he is still recovering from a knee injury.

With Baguio, the Gin Kings added a big guard who can slash hard to the basket and open up things from guys like Sunday Salvacion and Jayjay Helterbrand. Theteam also added a dependable open court player who can consistently finish off the break.

Ginebra also acquired Homer Se, a bruising center from Burger King.

Alvarez, the incoming PBA chairman, has added two more future picks and hardworking forward Aaron Aban, who was plucked from Purefoods in a deal that sent Cruzto the Giants.

"I think Aban would be a good fit to our team," said Alvarez. "Matapang itong batang ito at may potential and he has shown that when Peter JuneSimon got injured."

For Purefoods, Cruz was definitely a big catch.

Long been waiting for a good quarterback, the Giants gladly took in the lefty guard from Far Eastern University to help shore up Purefoods' backcourt thatalso has Topex Robinson, veteran guard Roger Yap and free agent sentinel Al Vergara.

With Vergara most likely suiting up anew with the Singapore Slingers after the season, the Giants believe Cruz is a welcome addition. - GMANews.TV

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / PICTURES:

Pics of Barangay Ginebra Kings Practicing with New Import, Cyrus and Homer Se

http://panatikos.multiply.com/photos/album/163#48

Tubid wearing the Soldier III

THE FAST, FURIOUS, FEARLESS AND THE FLYER...

Ginebra New Import David Noel III is rocking with AJ XXIII Premiere Black/Red.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by jeddahblaster

Ginebra New Import David Noel III is rocking with AJ XXIII Premiere Black/Red.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

based on the pics, he's wearing a pair of black red gil zeros

David Noel should stick to his UNC roots and wear J's.

Regardless, a former Tar Heel champ on my fave PBA team is
pimp.gif
eek.gif

Noel joins Big Dome slam dunk

MANILA, Philippines - Barangay Ginebra import David Noel will display his vaunted high-flying act in the PBA Slam Dunk competition preceding the All-Star Gameat the Araneta Coliseum on Sunday and from all indications, the former University of North Carolina mainstay is the man to beat.

Noel, 25, won the Slam Dunk contest in the 2006 NCAA Final Four and is known for his unimaginable, mind-blowing jams. Writer Tim Peeler said throughout his TarHeels career, Noel was more known for his skills as a football player and his ability to come up with "creative, jaw-jarring dunks."

Noel spurned an offer from North Carolina football coach John Bunting to play for the varsity and instead, earned a slot on coach Matt Doherty's hoop squadas a walk-on freshman with a scholarship promise in his second year.

While Noel has championship experience as a dunker, eight other contestants won't make it easy for Noel on Sunday. There will be two divisions in thecontest - locals and imports.

The locals are Sta. Lucia's defending champion (Machine Gun) Kelly Williams, Talk 'N' Text's Jared (Daredevil) Dillinger, San Miguel Beer'sJay Washington, Rain or Shine's Gabe (Mr. President) Norwood and Purefoods' Niño (The Elevator) Canaleta. The imports are Sta. Lucia's AnthonyJohnson, San Miguel's Gabe Freeman, Purefoods' Jahmar Thorpe and Noel.

Ginebra coach Joseph Uichico confirmed Noel's participation yesterday.

For the first time in PBA Slam Dunk history, locals and imports will vie for top honors. After two rounds of eliminations, the top finishers in each divisionwill face off for the crown. A cash prize will be up for grabs.

PBA media bureau chief Willie Marcial said the competition format is unprecedented. "The best of the locals will go up against the best of the imports inthe grand finals," he said. "This is a dream come true for all basketball fans. We've been trying to do this for years and now, it's finallyhappening. The league's best dunkers - local and imports - will be out to show who's No. 1."

Marcial said the PBA has selected five judges for the contest. They are US Ambassador Kristie Kenney, IBF flyweight champion Nonito Donaire Jr., HarlemGlobetrotters star Anthony (Buckets) Blakes, a representative of the PBA Press Corps and this writer.

PBA operations manager Rickie Santos said normal basketball rules will not apply. "Competitors can use two balls, they can run with the ball and do otherthings which would otherwise be prohibited in a regular game," explained Santos. "However, a competitor must elevate without any assistance fromeither another person or by actions that have the desired effect like hanging on the rim with one hand while dunking with the other."

The eliminations will feature two rounds with each player given one attempt per round. In case of a miss, he is allowed to re-dunk once. The grand finalsbetween the winners of the locals and imports divisions will be a two-round affair.

Noel arrived last week as a replacement for Utah's 2002 first round pick Ryan Humphrey who was measured over the 6-6 limit. Ginebra had previously releasedoriginal import Rod Nealy after the team stumbled to a 2-5 start and brought in Humphrey.

Noel played four years at North Carolina and was awarded a scholarship starting his sophomore season by Doherty's replacement Roy Williams. He saw actionon the Tar Heels varsity that won the 2005 NCAA title with stars like Rashad McCants, Sean May, Raymond Felton and Marvin Williams. Writer Dave Droschakdescribed him as "a tough rebounder and a guy who runs the floor and finishes around the basket."

As a senior in 2005-06, Noel scored 12.9 points a game and was North Carolina's third leading scorer behind Tyler Hansbrough and Reyshawn Terry. He alsoaveraged 6.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 33.7 minutes. Noel shot .532 from the field, .424 from three-point range and .625 from the line. In his farewell game asa Tar Heel, Noel collected 22 points, seven rebounds, four assists and four blocked shots as North Carolina lost a 65-60 decision to George Mason University inthe NCAA second round. George Mason, starring Rain or Shine import Jai Lewis and Gabe Norwood, went on to qualify for the Final Four.

Noel was Milwaukee's second round pick in the 2006 NBA draft and averaged 2.7 points in 68 games for the Bucks in the 2006-07 season, earning a salary of$412,718. This past campaign, he averaged 17.8 points for the Albuquerque Thunderbirds in the National Basketball Development League.

In his PBA debut last Monday, Noel posted a triple double with 22 points, 17 rebounds and 10 assists as Ginebra defeated Burger King, 100-94, at the CunetaAstrodome.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sweetshooting Pennisi named game MVP[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Thursday, 23 April 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td] VICTORIAS, Negros Occidental - Powerade Team Pilipinas passed with flying colors its first test in the 2009 Motolite PBA All-Star Week.

The Nationals continued to make a good impression, easily hurdling the challenge put up by the North All Stars, 98-80, in the kickoff game of the three-leg series watched by a good Wednesday crowd at the Victorias Gym here.

Except for a sluggish start, the Nationals played extremely well, making it three in a row following their two-game sweep of the Australian selection in a goodwill series at the Araneta Coliseum early this month.

To many, this is an indication that the RP team buildup for the coming FIBA-Asia world qualifier is very well on track.

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas vice chairman Ricky Vargas, no less, was impressed with the Nationals.

Sweet-shooting center Mick Pennisi scored all of his 15 points from the three-point area and won MVP honors in the
Victorias leg of the series backed by Powerade, Coca-Cola, Nike, Accel and Phoenix Fuel. He earned P20,000 for the honors.

Aside from that, Pennisi, veteran of the 2002 Busan Asian Games and the 2007 Tokushima FIBA Asia championship, will also have his share in the P75,000 cash pot the Nationals pocketed in winning the All-Star Wednesday Game.

The North All-Stars, reinforced by imports Tiras Wade, Jahmar Thorpe and Shawn Daniels, exerted so much effort to put up a tough challenge to no avail.

"The North All Stars have the talent but they lacked practice. Nonetheless, we got something from them. Meron silang tulong which could well help us in the long run," said RP team coach Yeng Guiao.

Unfamiliarity with one another worked against the North All-Stars, handled by former RP team coach Chot Reyes. They were reportedly offered P10,000 each by SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan, in case they beat the Nationals.

However, the North All-Stars outplayed the Nationals just in the early goings.

The Nationals struggled at the start, but there was no stopping the team as they unleashed an 18-2 salvo to surge ahead at 28-23 at the end of the first period.

As in the RP-Australia series, the Nationals played a balanced offensive game with Pennisi and Gabe Norwood pacing the team with 15 and 13 points, respectively.

Ryan Reyes, Ranidel de Ocampo, Gabe Norwood and Jayjay Helterbrand delivered instant offense coming off the bench, fueling a searing charge that gave the Nationals an eight-point lead, 52-44, at halftime.

North starters Enrico Villanueva, Macmac Cardona, Paul Artadi, Marc Pingris and Thorpe outplayed RP team counterparts James Yap, Kerby Raymundo, Asi Taulava, Willie Miller and Arwind Santos early on, enabling the North Stars to enjoy a 10-point spread at 20-10.

But the Nationals kept the North All-Stars from pulling away, going to Reyes and De Ocampo as they stemmed the tide on their side towards the end of the opening period.

Reyes and De Ocampo starred in an 18-3 tear pushing the Nationals up front, 28-23, going to the next quarter. Kelly Williams converted a three-pointer at the buzzer to close the first quarter.

The North Stars pulled even at 42-all largely through the efforts of Thorpe but the Nationals regained control at halftime on an 10-2 closing run by Raymundo, Cyrus Baguio, Jared Dillinger and Jayjay Helterbrand.

Reyes was among the RP team best performers but failed to finish the game as he hurt his foot early in the fourth quarter. (NC)

The scores:

RP team 98 - Pennisi 15, Norwood 13, Yap 12, Raymundo 11, Helterbrand 8, De Ocampo 7, Williams 7, Reyes 6, Santos 6, Dillinger 5, Taulava 4, Baguio 4, Miller 0.

North All Stars 80 - Thorpe 16, Artadi 13, Villanueva 12, Yeo 12, Wade 9, Reyes 4, Cardona 4, Pingris 4, Tenorio 3, Daniels 2, David 1, Espinas 0.

Quarterscores: 28-23, 52-48, 73-58, 98-80.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by i3asuncion

^^ All News, Updates (you can also browse the PBA FORUM) and Schedules are at WWW.PBA.PH

Hope this helps!
yeah i check the site all the time, sana man lang magkaroon ng photos section yung site na updated din

David Noel tearing it up in the Slam Dunk Contest! Dude was wearing UNC PE XX2's (same ones worn by Ed Davis and Ty Lawson this season).

roll.gif
at Gabe Obama!!!

Congrats to Noel
smokin.gif
. Remembered Maggette's gymnastic attempt at the'01 Dunk Contest.
laugh.gif

Sayang ang gimik ni Dillinger.
eyes.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif

GLOBETROTTERS ARE HERE!!!

Harlem Globetrotters Tour Philippines May 2009
http://www.classifiedsph.com/adid/14274/Harlem-Globetrotters-Tour-Philippines-May-2009

IM NOT FROM TICKET NET AND IM NOT POSTING THIS AD TO SELL anything , this is just to inform you guys. The last time Globethrotters was here was 17 years ago,according to a globethrotter that spoke during halftime of the all star game at araneta. Im planning to watch these guys and bring my wife with me, althoughshe is not a basketball fan, im sure this is will be a good show.

The last time the Globe Trotters were here was 18 years ago according to "Buckets", grabe, I was still a kid then! My dad brought us to watch and hadfuN! I've been a Globe Trotters fan since grade school watching their animated shows on TV, they also guested on Scooby Doo sometimes. Anyway, offtopic....

Saw the game last night between Team Pilipinas and the PBA All Stars. Yey, I have a Team Pilipinas jersey from Nike. I wish the team well, hope they finallyreach the goals set in putting this team together. It's great this team has its own Nike sponsored jersey! But......just my opinion, I'm not overlyimpressed with the choice of team coach. Most specially Yeng Guiao, of whom I've never been a fan. I like how he goes deep in his roster for his games butdon't see much else in the way of coaching. Anyway, just IMHO. Love Baguiao, Norwood, Williams, Santos, Miller and Helterbrand though. I'm sureeveryone has a wishlist of who they think should be included. For me, Alapag and Hontiveros.
smile.gif

Dillinger should've gotten a 50 just for the effort and showmanship!!!! Doing a lay-up with boxing gloves seems practically impossible, what about adunk??? LOL.

Alapag really played well especially in the second half, he is the one who made the good passes and organized the team. Also the crucial three pointers andfree throws. He played with fire and emotion, showing everybody that he deserves to be on the RP team line up. The only true point guard that can organize theteam aside from helterbrand he is. And i also saw LJ moreno watching the game, is she and alapag still together? i thought they broke up already? hehe anywayoff topic. I'm a fan of great point guards so I know this role is very important.

Back
Top Bottom