OFFICIAL PBA THREAD

RP TEAM HEAD COACH UNPERTURBED WITH CARDONA'S 42
"I don't think scoring is a problem with the national team." -- Guiao
Monday, 17 November 2008

Red Bull and RP Team head coach Yeng Guiao came short of saying he was unimpressed with the 42 points of Mac-Mac Cardona in the Barakos' 103-93 loss toTalk 'N Text Sunday in the KFC PBA Philippine Cup at the Cuneta Astrodome.

The conference's leading scorer, Cardona was quick to admit his efforts that night weren't just to help his team win the game, nonchalantly saying hewas also hoping it would get the attention of Guiao to consider him for the national team, even as a reserve.

"Siguro naman I deserve to be at least considered to play (for the national team)," said Cardona in the post-game interview. "I play hard, Iwork hard in practice. Oo, message ko din siguro kay coach Yeng yung nilaro ko kanina."

Guiao, the Barakos mentor, is also concurrently head coach of the national team gearing up for the 2009 FIBA-Asia wars and last Thursday announced his 14-manselection sans Cardona.

Asked for comment moments after Cardona's 42 points and his post-game statements, Guiao was quick to answer he has no problems with scoring as far as hiscurrent players on the national team is concerned.

"I don't think scoring is a problem with the national team. We have more urgent needs there aside from scoring," he said. "I don't thinkwe don't lack scorers because we already have the James Yaps and the Willie Millers there."

But Guiao also said he wasn't closing the door on Cardona.

"If he can show he can contribute other things besides scoring, who knows," Guiao explained. "Or if he can be consistent with what he didkanina, why not?"

Talk 'N Text head coach and former national team mentor Chot Reyes said he was proud a player like Cardona wants to play for the country and is trying todo something about it.

"I think his intentions are laudable. You have here a player who really wants to be on the national team. Unlike before when some players even don'twant to be part of it," said Reyes, sitting beside Cardona in the post-game interview with sportswriters.

Reyes, who handled the RP Team prior to Guiao, however, added its coach Yeng's prerogative to choose his own players.

Curiously, Cardona's previous career-high also came against Red Bull and Guiao when he had 38 in Game 6 of both teams' semifinal duel in the 2007Fiesta Conference which the then Phone Pals won 122-110 to advance to the Finals.

Cardona's Sunday scoring spree, which was highlighted by a 5-for-7 shooting from beyond the three-point arc and 17-for-26 overall from the field, upped hisleague-leading scoring average from 24.3 points per game to 26.1, a clear almost six point per game better than the next best player in the conference'sscoring list, Barangay Ginebra's Jay-Jay Helterbrand who is norming 20.5 ppg.

The 2007 Fiesta Best Player of the Conference was just coming off a 32-point effort in their previous game, a 103-90 win over Barangay GInebra exactly on theeve of the day before Guiao announced his 14-man national team roster.

In last season's Philippine Cup, Cardona wasn't among the conference's Top 10 scorers with his only 15.6 ppg norm.

Cardona's 42 is incidentally also the most by any player in the ongoing conference, bettering Kerby Raymundo's 37 in Purefoods 108-105 overtime winover Air21 last October 31.
It was also the most point scored in a game by any local player since Mark Caguioa registered a career-high 45 on June 4, 2006 when the Kings eliminated Air21in overtime 118-114 in the wildcard phase of the 2006 Philippine Cup. (FM)

*Article is from pba.com.ph*

[table][tr][td]VILLANUEVA LIFTS PUREFOODS PAST SMB[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Giants arrest 2-game skid[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Sunday, 23 November 2008[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Still struggling with injuries to key players, the Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants got one big push on one big shot by Enrico Villanueva against the San Miguel Beermen.

Villanueva scored on a left-handed shot underneath the basket on an assist by Kerby Raymundo in the dying seconds as the Giants squeaked past the Beermen, 84-83, in the KFC PBA Philippine Cup at the Astrodome Sunday night.

"We've been struggling and win like this is definitely a welcome development. This is one big push towards our goal of still making it to the top," said Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio.

"Ang hirap manalo sa tournament na ito. Manalo ka nang isa, para ka nang nag-champion. All our wins are like this -- buzzer-beater or overtime. We're playing hurt. The good thing is that the guys are just keeping on fighting," Gregorio also said.

Still playing minus Peter June Simon and Roger Yap and with James Yap half-healthy, the Giants gutted it out to notch their sixth win against seven losses.

Villanueva came through with a double-double game and emerged the Giants' biggest hero by converting the winning basket just before the final buzzer sounded.

The Purefoods mentor actually designed the play for Raymundo as they got possession following a 24-second violation by the Beermen with only 5.7 ticks left to play.

Attracting a double-team defense, Raymundo had the presence of mind in handing the ball to Villanueva who quickly took the shot breaking the heart of the Beermen.

Dondon Hontiveros had his own big shot earlier, making a tough fade-away off Yap to push the Beermen ahead at 83-82 with 34.7 seconds left to play.

The Beermen appeared already headed for the win when Mick Pennisi drew an offensive foul from Yap in the ensuing play.

Alas, the Beermen broke down in their final offensive thrust and in their final defensive stance, thus, suffering a third straight loss and their fifth in 12 games in all.

"This is a big win considering we got it against one of the elite teams in the league right now," said Gregorio.

Despite the loss, the Beermen remained at second place, two games behind the pace-setting Alaska Milk Aces. At joint third are Air21 and Sta. Lucia at 6-5.

Raymundo led all scorers with 25 points while Villanueva finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

San Miguel was paced by Lordy Tugade and Dorian Pena with 18 and 17, respectively. (NC)

The scores:

Purefoods 84 -- Raymundo 25, Villanueva 12, Aban 11, Belga 10, Yap 7, Robinson 6, Lanete 5, Bugia 5, Alvarez 3, Fernandez 0.

San Miguel 83 -- Tugade 18, Pena 17, Custodio 13, Washington 13, Hontiveros 9, Villanueva 5, Racela 5, Gonzales 3, Eman 0, Calaguio 0, Pennisi 0.

Quarterscores: 18-16, 45-38, 64-63, 84-83 [/td] [/tr][/table]

n548333588_1170142_8079.jpg

n548333588_1170143_8318.jpg

n548333588_1170146_9110.jpg

n548333588_1170104_1241.jpg

n548333588_1170115_249.jpg

just wondering if PBA has open tryouts and do the players earn a lot of money for playing basketball?

Originally Posted by imrichboy

just wondering if PBA has open tryouts and do the players earn a lot of money for playing basketball?
max contract players earn 350K pesos which is around $7,000/month

jayjay helterbrand wearing cdp 12's vs smb on their first game on the quarter finals series...those 12's look good and classy on court...thats theperks of being sponsored by nike, unless you saw jayjay camped out last dec.20,hehehe
roll.gif

lupet noh! for others who didnt have their packs tapos makita mo lang laspagin sa hardwood,hehe...cant wait to see him wear da 11's

^is he the one who got one of the pack 'coz he's a VIP? Go GINEBRA!!! NEVER SAY DIE!!! WIN OR LOSE!!!

akala ko ba endorser ng accel si jayjay? anyway as a pf fan just want to put this article sa pba.ph

[table][tr][td]NEW YEAR OFFERS NEW HOPE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]By Jason Webb[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Sunday, 04 January 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
tejada_jfrc.jpg

After the longest holiday imaginable, it's nice to be back and welcome the new year. I celebrated New Year's Day with my family with dinner in one of the restaurant/bars in Makati and was surprised to see a familiar face standing (yes standing) by the entrance.

That familiar face belonged to Eugene Tejada.

Eugene planed in with brother James and his Mom and Dad, before the New Year, and plans to stay for a number of weeks. After two years of therapy, Eugene now moves around in crutches and has restored some feeling on his legs. Still not 100%, he mentioned that he still can't recognize hot or cold water when it is poured on his legs. He also is trying to work on muscles that weakened ever since the accident.

He admitted that there was initial anger in the predicament that he is in but he has now moved on and has a more positive approach to what life has in store for him.

Though many doors have closed for him (Eugene loves to cook and was hoping to get into the culinary field/ he also wanted to enter hotel management) because of the injury, he believes there is a purpose why this hand was dealt to him. And because of the trials that he has gone through, he is now flirting with the idea of becoming an inspirational speaker. He says its not really something new to him because after his injury, he would get calls (from mostly Filipino-Americans) in his home in California from parents of children who have also gone through tough challenges in life. They would ask him how he was able to deal with his personal trial and he would try to inspire the children to overcome their own.

Eugene still finds it hard to be on a basketball court but he did visit his old school for one of their games in the states. With all the bouncing of the basketball and the screeching of the sneakers, he felt it was better for him to leave before the game ended since it gave him too many memories. Those sounds just reminded him too much of how fun it is to play and of how he should be the one on the court.

But for this trip, Eugene will make his way to one of the PBA games to finally get over the hump of watching a full game. He wanted to catch a Purefoods game because they not only gave him his best year in his PBA career but they also fully supported him in his rehabilitation. But since they were eliminated before his arrival, he looks forward to watching one of the games of friends that have been supportive even when he was in the states. Rain or Shine for Alex Compton or Talk n' Text for Harvey Carey and especially Jimmy Alapag, who even drops by his house when Jimmy is in the states.

Eugene may no longer be able to excite PBA fans on the basketball court but he will surely be able to do it once more…by simply attending one of the games and showing us all that there is hope.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

I went to that wildcard game between air21 and san miguel.. my first time watching it live.. i thought i would never see my two favorite players play ..DannyS. and Olsen.. it was unbelievable haha.. but my boy bonbon custodio stole the show.. this dude reminds me of CP3 ...straight
pimp.gif

Baguio was garbage in that game .. i expect more from him.. gary david was awesome.. hontiveros and tugade making it rain from behind the arc..

but the best part of it was Valerie concepcion.. shes lucky i dont have a ring with me, i dont care if i got rejected lol
pimp.gif

Overall...it was a fun night!

Pix..

2a5zrpg.jpg

2im83o2.jpg

Baguio was traded to Air21 because apparently, it will be replaced by Burger King and Yeng Guiao is the new head coach.
laugh.gif

kya trade ng trade ang RB ng players kc wla cla pang sweldo sa mga big tym players nla...i min literal wla na natirang star player! kilala ko na lng ata csharma..sa pag ka alam ko c patrimonio ang unang pba player na naka 500kper month..whew lot of j's! i once saw him wear concords sa game
pimp.gif

Nice to see Jay Wash wearing the 6 rings concords, also Jonas Villanueva with the CDP 18..

Originally Posted by I3

Only 350k a season?
a month for the max salary guys, and it used to be 500k per month during the patrimonio era but a few years back they made it 350k a month, iforgot the reason, must be a collective bargaining agreement

Back
Top Bottom