Official PC thread.

Originally Posted by 2g00d4u

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

I dont know about MW3, but since its the same as MW2 I figure I can get high frames.
I see what you did there.
laugh.gif

Sell your stuff and upgrade while you still can. When the new stuff goes out prices will drop fast. That's why I got rid of my PS3 and GTX 560 Ti ASAP.
laugh.gif

Man, your 560 died fast. You only had it for 4-5 months right?

Im thinking of selling both 4890s and putting that money towards a 7950. I actually want to switch to nvidia, but I dont know how long I can wait now. 

If I could get $100 for both cards...
Yup, I bought it 16 September 2011. Lasted about 5 months. Card was pretty bad to begin with... couldn't even overclock it past 940 MHz. 
laugh.gif
 Interestingly, the new replacement (which I sold), performs well and has a decent stock cooler (3600rpm; card maxes out at 88C in Furmark).
From what I've heard and read, the 7950 is a really good card for the price... but I'm never going back to ATI with their driver issues. But waiting for Kepler sure is making it tempting to cop a 7950 or a 7970 right now. Once Kepler comes out, I'm copping straight from Amazon. Screw waiting for another month just waiting for the cards to be available here locally. They'd cost about the same regardless, even with the ~$100 shipping and tax to the PI. Let's just hope I don't need to RMA this one this time around. That would be a big pain in the @$%. 
laugh.gif

I dont know about MW3, but since its the same as MW2 I figure I can get high frames.
I see what you did there.
laugh.gif

Sell your stuff and upgrade while you still can. When the new stuff goes out prices will drop fast. That's why I got rid of my PS3 and GTX 560 Ti ASAP.
laugh.gif

Man, your 560 died fast. You only had it for 4-5 months right?

Im thinking of selling both 4890s and putting that money towards a 7950. I actually want to switch to nvidia, but I dont know how long I can wait now. 

If I could get $100 for both cards...
Yup, I bought it 16 September 2011. Lasted about 5 months. Card was pretty bad to begin with... couldn't even overclock it past 940 MHz. 
laugh.gif
 Interestingly, the new replacement (which I sold), performs well and has a decent stock cooler (3600rpm; card maxes out at 88C in Furmark).
From what I've heard and read, the 7950 is a really good card for the price... but I'm never going back to ATI with their driver issues. But waiting for Kepler sure is making it tempting to cop a 7950 or a 7970 right now. Once Kepler comes out, I'm copping straight from Amazon. Screw waiting for another month just waiting for the cards to be available here locally. They'd cost about the same regardless, even with the ~$100 shipping and tax to the PI. Let's just hope I don't need to RMA this one this time around. That would be a big pain in the @$%. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by k0befomvp

Originally Posted by k0befomvp

Hey guys,
I posted here a few pages back about trading in my laptop (HP DV6 6b15ed) for a game pc. Unfortunatly one that had my interest was sold so I'm still looking for one.

I found a guy who is willing to trade his machine for my laptop. It has the following specs:

Motherboard: asus p6t 

GPU: I7 920 @ 2.67ghz

Graphics card: Saphire HD 4870 x 2

Memory: 6gb OCZ gold triple channel kit 

My laptop has an A8 AMD Quad Core GPU and 8 Gigs of memory. I'm mostly playing NBA 2k12 along with shooters. I want them to play at max settings and preferably on my 40 inch led tv. My laptop was about $800 when I purchased it in January. Can someone please give me an expert opinion on this system based on my preferences and value? Thanks in advance!!
yeah... just keep your laptop. with that setup you can max 2K12; for the shooters, it's doubtful. 
By the way, if you can cop a dedicated PC monitor to use for this PC, that would be much better than using a TV as a monitor. It might sound like a great idea from the start, but from personal experience (using 32" one as a monitor myself, and not really fond of it), you'd need to distance yourself quite significantly from your TV, to keep from getting dizzy/getting your eyes sore, since the pixels are bigger than the ones on monitors. Not to mention the colors and contrast seem way off . 
sick.gif
Thanks for your reply! The thing is, at the moment my laptop is always just laying in my studyroom closed and connected to a pc monitor. On the other side of the room is my living room where I drilled a hole trough the wall and pulled a HDMI cable trough. So it's not like I will use my tv as monitor permanently. The thing is, my Xbox broke so I want a good game PC that I can replace my xbox with so I want to have good and fluent image on my tv. I guess I will look furhter. Thanks!
You're welcome. By the way, 1920 x 1080 on a 32" TV is a VERY BAD IDEA. I stay using 1360 x 768. Planning to hard mount the TV to the wall in my room and then just cop a 23-24in dedicated IPS monitor in the future. My parents would kill me if I'd go for a multiple monitor setup. 
laugh.gif

By the way, project update: my DIY headset hanger "prototype" is finished. Tried to see what the final product looks like. This is how it came out.
422485_10150614348288736_593738735_9223301_1115238545_n.jpg

Will be picking up the final product at the metal plater's shop either tomorrow or on Tuesday. I hope the look of anodized grey aluminum is well worth the price I paid for and matches my case well.

By the way, project update: my DIY headset hanger "prototype" is finished. Tried to see what the final product looks like. This is how it came out.
422485_10150614348288736_593738735_9223301_1115238545_n.jpg

Will be picking up the final product at the metal plater's shop either tomorrow or on Tuesday. I hope the look of anodized grey aluminum is well worth the price I paid for and matches my case well.

You're welcome. By the way, 1920 x 1080 on a 32" TV is a VERY BAD IDEA. I stay using 1360 x 768. Planning to hard mount the TV to the wall in my room and then just cop a 23-24in dedicated IPS monitor in the future. My parents would kill me if I'd go for a multiple monitor setup. 
laugh.gif

why is it a bad idea? this is my setup. dont see anything wrong with it.

laugh.gif

why is it a bad idea? this is my setup. dont see anything wrong with it.

^ Well, for general usage, most of the text is practically unreadable at that size, unless you try to sit closer to the screen -which will most probably cause you unnecessary disorientation/eye strain and eventually lead to eye damage?
laugh.gif

No problems gaming or watching movies in 1920 x 1080, though.
smokin.gif
Forgot to mention that.

Okay... not really a very bad idea, but it's not really ideal for everyday usage. Personally, I try to watch from a viewing distance of at least 5 feet. A bit closer while using the PC (which can get mad uncomfortable at times).

^ Well, for general usage, most of the text is practically unreadable at that size, unless you try to sit closer to the screen -which will most probably cause you unnecessary disorientation/eye strain and eventually lead to eye damage?
laugh.gif

No problems gaming or watching movies in 1920 x 1080, though.
smokin.gif
Forgot to mention that.

Okay... not really a very bad idea, but it's not really ideal for everyday usage. Personally, I try to watch from a viewing distance of at least 5 feet. A bit closer while using the PC (which can get mad uncomfortable at times).

Not a fan of the Tenkeyless layout (I use it quite often), but this is a solid keyboard. I'm assuming you got the one with the Cherry Mx Red switches?
nerd.gif
 I definitely became a fan of that after trying out my friend's Corsair K60 keyboard (with that said, that is a well-built keyboard as well, good aesthetics, but the left-hand palm rest feels too cheap and plasticky for me. K90 is definitely better).

I have the one with the blue switches, I don't mind not having the numpad keys because my mouse pad takes up half the desk, the k90 looks massive, one thing I miss are backlit keys, maybe I can get a small lamp to put on my keyboard at night or something.

Not a fan of the Tenkeyless layout (I use it quite often), but this is a solid keyboard. I'm assuming you got the one with the Cherry Mx Red switches?
nerd.gif
 I definitely became a fan of that after trying out my friend's Corsair K60 keyboard (with that said, that is a well-built keyboard as well, good aesthetics, but the left-hand palm rest feels too cheap and plasticky for me. K90 is definitely better).

I have the one with the blue switches, I don't mind not having the numpad keys because my mouse pad takes up half the desk, the k90 looks massive, one thing I miss are backlit keys, maybe I can get a small lamp to put on my keyboard at night or something.

^ well, you're not really supposed to use your PC in dark environments, if possible, so...
laugh.gif
But I do agree that backlit keys are awesome. Just not worth the extra they charge.

Cherry Mx Blues feel good as well; it's just the 'clicky' sound that i didn't like. Might drive me nuts after a while.
laugh.gif

Anyway, too bad there's no NVIDIA announcements of Kepler today, but a silver lining appears.
smokin.gif

20120312cookie.jpg

^ well, you're not really supposed to use your PC in dark environments, if possible, so...
laugh.gif
But I do agree that backlit keys are awesome. Just not worth the extra they charge.

Cherry Mx Blues feel good as well; it's just the 'clicky' sound that i didn't like. Might drive me nuts after a while.
laugh.gif

Anyway, too bad there's no NVIDIA announcements of Kepler today, but a silver lining appears.
smokin.gif

20120312cookie.jpg

Solved the PCIE x16 running at x8 issue just by flashing my BIOS. Darn it... could've gotten a better board after an RMA since they don't have this board on the market now. Oh well.
laugh.gif

Pardon the crappy GPU... still waiting on the 680.

421803_10150619997308736_593738735_9245582_1488612228_n.jpg

Solved the PCIE x16 running at x8 issue just by flashing my BIOS. Darn it... could've gotten a better board after an RMA since they don't have this board on the market now. Oh well.
laugh.gif

Pardon the crappy GPU... still waiting on the 680.

421803_10150619997308736_593738735_9245582_1488612228_n.jpg

Well, if you cut through all the crap and rumors flying around these past few days (been refreshing Google constantly to find updated news
laugh.gif
), expect about at least a 10% improvement over a 7970 @ a TDP of 190W. Dynamic overclocking based on GPU load rumored to be a new feature as well.

Rumored price: $550 for the 2GB.

Personally wouldn't mind copping one over the GTX 580 since the latter costs about the same as the former (shipping + VAT inclusive) over here. If the GTX 680 does come out on the 22nd, it'll take at least a month to get here (with a much higher premium at that; see above). Whereas, it'll only take 4-6 days through DHL to get it delivered right to my doorstep. Not to mention that I won't have to pay for the product for another month.
grin.gif
 So barring any defects and possible warranty/RMA claims, practical logic points to purchasing from the US.

Still can't believe the M4 is selling for $100 more over here.
30t6p3b.gif

EDIT:  I've read somewhere that Apple (dropping NVIDIA -unable to meet 28nm wafer demand) might be the reason for the TMSC 28nm manufacturing temporary shut down last month. Wonder how bad this affects this year's set MacBooks (rumored to use Ivy Bridge and Kepler)? 
nerd.gif

Btw, I've read that GTX 580 prices are starting to tumble now in Europe. America will most probably follow suit. Heck, we won't follow that for at least another month.
ohwell.gif

Well, if you cut through all the crap and rumors flying around these past few days (been refreshing Google constantly to find updated news
laugh.gif
), expect about at least a 10% improvement over a 7970 @ a TDP of 190W. Dynamic overclocking based on GPU load rumored to be a new feature as well.

Rumored price: $550 for the 2GB.

Personally wouldn't mind copping one over the GTX 580 since the latter costs about the same as the former (shipping + VAT inclusive) over here. If the GTX 680 does come out on the 22nd, it'll take at least a month to get here (with a much higher premium at that; see above). Whereas, it'll only take 4-6 days through DHL to get it delivered right to my doorstep. Not to mention that I won't have to pay for the product for another month.
grin.gif
 So barring any defects and possible warranty/RMA claims, practical logic points to purchasing from the US.

Still can't believe the M4 is selling for $100 more over here.
30t6p3b.gif

EDIT:  I've read somewhere that Apple (dropping NVIDIA -unable to meet 28nm wafer demand) might be the reason for the TMSC 28nm manufacturing temporary shut down last month. Wonder how bad this affects this year's set MacBooks (rumored to use Ivy Bridge and Kepler)? 
nerd.gif

Btw, I've read that GTX 580 prices are starting to tumble now in Europe. America will most probably follow suit. Heck, we won't follow that for at least another month.
ohwell.gif

It's already 1am over here and this just kept me up.
laugh.gif
Hopefully this isn't a load of crap.
2702126_03aaaafe-863drr0ai.jpg

That's it... I'm done for the night. Good night NT!

It's already 1am over here and this just kept me up.
laugh.gif
Hopefully this isn't a load of crap.
2702126_03aaaafe-863drr0ai.jpg

That's it... I'm done for the night. Good night NT!

Back
Top Bottom