Official PC thread.

I've heard June - August time frame. Wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to the end of the year though.

Still waiting for Skylake before I start my next build. My GPU crapped out about a year ago and instead of just buying a new one, I'm going to do a completely new build. So many games out that I want to play

I just turned on my home laptop which is W8.1. There's a new notification icon - looks like the Windows logo. I clicked on it and it's a way to reserve and download W10. This computer isn't especially important so I've done it to see what it's like - won't be doing any of my work PCs at the beginning - I want to make sure that it's stable and reliable before that.

I just turned on my home laptop which is W8.1. There's a new notification icon - looks like the Windows logo. I clicked on it and it's a way to reserve and download W10. This computer isn't especially important so I've done it to see what it's like - won't be doing any of my work PCs at the beginning - I want to make sure that it's stable and reliable before that.

Got it on my W7 Desktop but notthing on my Surface Pro 3 yet. Might have to wait to update my W7 computer since that is my work station. My surface pro 3 will get upgraded asap though. Windows 8 is just hideous.

So my dad's been moaning to me that his few years old PC has been getting slow. He's on vacation this week so I went round last night to have a look. Sure enough you can just hear it grinding away when you do anything - took about 7 minutes to boot up.

The spec is okay - only 2Gb of RAM which I'll fix soon but otherwise decent. From the noise I was suspicious it was just the old HDD. I got a really good deal on a 256Gb SSD and put that in - took about 40 minutes to clone the old HDD - and an age to install the cloning software.

Now it boots up in less than 30s and is just super snappy - and totally silent which is cool.

I optimized the clone for a SSD and disabled defragmentation but I have the nagging feeling that I missed something else - is there anything else I need to do when swapping to a SSD? It seems to be working fine but I woke in the night thinking about it.

Any tips from experts gratefully accepted.

So my dad's been moaning to me that his few years old PC has been getting slow. He's on vacation this week so I went round last night to have a look. Sure enough you can just hear it grinding away when you do anything - took about 7 minutes to boot up.

The spec is okay - only 2Gb of RAM which I'll fix soon but otherwise decent. From the noise I was suspicious it was just the old HDD. I got a really good deal on a 256Gb SSD and put that in - took about 40 minutes to clone the old HDD - and an age to install the cloning software.

Now it boots up in less than 30s and is just super snappy - and totally silent which is cool.

I optimized the clone for a SSD and disabled defragmentation but I have the nagging feeling that I missed something else - is there anything else I need to do when swapping to a SSD? It seems to be working fine but I woke in the night thinking about it.

Any tips from experts gratefully accepted.

Probably just make sure TRIM is enabled for the SSD if its Windows 7?

Great to hear that its back to being snappy. An SSD does wonders to restore a computer of its life. Add like 2 GB of RAM and it should help as well.

I think I've realised what I didn't do yesterday - I didn't defrag the HDD before cloning it. Is that going to cause me any problems? The drive's still there so it would be easy to switch it back around, defrag and clone again.

I think I've realised what I didn't do yesterday - I didn't defrag the HDD before cloning it. Is that going to cause me any problems? The drive's still there so it would be easy to switch it back around, defrag and clone again.

Late response, but yes it would because of how SSDs stores files vs a HDD. Which is why TRIM should be enabled as well.

Anyone here ever build a Mini ITX build with watercooling? I am looking to consolidate my build.

quick question guys. but seeing this thread i'll probably have an answer in a few days :lol:

I just cut the cable cord after I moved and I have free wifi courtesy of the landlord, same speed as my old one with comcast around 20 mbps. So I just have my TV hanging around collecting dust, I'm looking to make it my stream screen.

I played with the settings a bit but can't get it to work. Basically, I want my regular windows and etc. in my monitor. And I just want my TV to be on Kodi pretty much anytime I turn it on. Right now, it's just showing my desktop, if I move the mouse over to that screen and I try to open Kodi, it opens on my monitor. I tried switching it around but the resolution doesn't work, the screen on my tv is cut off and I can't do anything on my monitor. Pretty much just shows the desktop no matter what.

any help would be great. I tried googling it but I can't seem to phrase it right when searching so random answers come up.

Do you have your desktop extended to your tv? Is the tv basically acting as a second monitor? If so it might be easiest to just drag Kodi over to the TV.

Do you have your desktop extended to your tv? Is the tv basically acting as a second monitor? If so it might be easiest to just drag Kodi over to the TV.

this was my set up. but the problem was Kodi was on full screen mode so there's no dragging. Finally messed with the options in Kodi and it had an option for full screen window #2 which was the TV.

[quote name="JewelKnows" url="/t/283801/official-pc-thread/4080#post_2351736]

Probably just make sure TRIM is enabled for the SSD if its Windows 7?

Great to hear that its back to being snappy. An SSD does wonders to restore a computer of its life. Add like 2 GB of RAM and it should help as well.[/quote]

Done, went round again yesterday and it's got 4Gb of RAM now. I checked the defragmentation log and it was done a few days bore I was there so I just left that. Working really well. Should stop him complaining for a while!

I'm finally back in the Desktop PC world after about about 14 years. I use to be a beast in Quake 1/2, Return of
Castle Wolfenstein demo MP. Missed it so I managed to snatch a custom desktop off ebay and will change a few
parts around for my liking. Beginning my H1z1 grind already, getting use to controls/aim with the mouse again.

Specs:
MSI Z97-G45
Dual Sapphire AMD r7-265 (crossfire) - Prob will replace this with just one beefy card
Hyper X 8GB DDR3- might get this to 16GB
1 TB Western HB - (need to do research on how to transfer my OS onto a SSD/clone it?)
** Will add a 120GB SSD**
**has no optical drive, need to get something **
G3258 3.2 GHZ ( Apparently it was stable at 4.4 GHZ, will learn how to OC it, all the programs
are installed)
** I heard great things about this chip which is why I got the system, but If so I will eventually get a I7**
Corsair HX-750
Corsair H80i ( Not really feeling liquid around electronics, it was a tested build and looks legit but If i
get rid of the G3258 I'm going all air)
4 Corsair 120 MM fans

Thats pretty much it, I need to hurry up and OC this thing. I need it to be a tad bit more snappy in it's
processes. Been playing h1z1 on max settings which works perfectly.

Any advice for me would be great.

Last edited:
didn't know this thread existed.

currently building a budget gaming PC now.

I only need to play CS:GO.

Anyone else here have an SSD?

I'm thinking of upgrading my current build, which also doesn't have a video card. Budget is wide open.

So i just decided to get a decent little workstation for home I can do the basics on but also maybe get into some light gaming 

I used to love windows in the XP days (da irony) but i really havent consistently used a windows machine since forever... im gunna scoop the following with 8.1 and probably upgrade to 10 and start re learning

i7 4770

GTX 760

2 TB 8 GB SSHD

550w power supply

12 gb ramm ddr5

24 ips maybe 2

i can make this happen for under a stack

this should last me the next 4 years right? other than maybe changin out the gpu and adding a stand alone ssd. probably wait till the black friday madness and grab a 500 gb ssd for like 37.99 LOL

Yeah, that sounds like it will work. Definitely upgrade to W10 straight away - there's no point trying to familiarise yourself with 8. 10 is much nicer to use.

Did a SSD in my laptop last weekend - the performance doesn't seem that much better but it starts up really fast which is nice - especially useful on a laptop because I only use it sporadically. Wasn't too hard to do once I found that the HD was actually under the keyboard - only discovered that after removing about 100 screws to get the back open.

So i just decided to get a decent little workstation for home I can do the basics on but also maybe get into some light gaming 

I used to love windows in the XP days (da irony) but i really havent consistently used a windows machine since forever... im gunna scoop the following with 8.1 and probably upgrade to 10 and start re learning

i7 4770
GTX 760
2 TB 8 GB SSHD
550w power supply
12 gb ramm ddr5

24 ips maybe 2

i can make this happen for under a stack

this should last me the next 4 years right? other than maybe changin out the gpu and adding a stand alone ssd. probably wait till the black friday madness and grab a 500 gb ssd for like 37.99 LOL

Why not i7-4790K?

I have an SSD with a Windows install on it and I want to use it as my main drive in a PC i have laying around.

Is it possible to do a Windows install on a drive that has Windows installation files on it?

Why not i7-4790K?
money. and i dont intend to overclock. at the point other one of these chips no longer gets the job done Ill swap out the whole system.

what do you think of the Asus N550? can get one of those with an i7. /16 gb ddr5 @1600/ 512gb ssd  / gt860m for also about a stack 

Any advice or websites that can guide me on what I need to build my own PC? I'd like to build one that is capable of game and photo editing...Maybe even some light weight video editing.

Back
Top Bottom