Official PC thread.

omg... am i going to have to get a effing xbox controller for this game!?
these logitech controllers suck! :x :smh:

I am thinking about building a new PC and the budget is around $700-$900
I don't need hard drives,operating system, monitor

I already ordered the intel i5 4670k from amazon when they had it at $189. So the rest of the budget will go towards case, power supply, memory, motherboard, video card,and CPU fan.

This is what I have in mind:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler- $30
G.Skill RipJaws 2 x 4gig-$70
SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply-$80
Corsair 450d case-$120

I need suggestions for a motherboard and video card. I want to game at 1080p 60fps, etc. I was thinking something like a 270x or equivalent. I've read about the fractal r4 case but I am skeptical about airflow. I really like the look of the corsair 450d even though it is probably $20 overpriced. I am fine going a little bit under or over budget so if someone has better suggestions then please advise.

I am thinking about building a new PC and the budget is around $700-$900
I don't need hard drives,operating system, monitor

I already ordered the intel i5 4670k from amazon when they had it at $189. So the rest of the budget will go towards case, power supply, memory, motherboard, video card,and CPU fan.

This is what I have in mind:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler- $30
G.Skill RipJaws 2 x 4gig-$70
SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply-$80
Corsair 450d case-$120

I need suggestions for a motherboard and video card. I want to game at 1080p 60fps, etc. I was thinking something like a 270x or equivalent. I've read about the fractal r4 case but I am skeptical about airflow. I really like the look of the corsair 450d even though it is probably $20 overpriced. I am fine going a little bit under or over budget so if someone has better suggestions then please advise.

ive read that the 450d is a good case, in case reviews on youtube it looks solid. i dont remember much anything bad being said.
I have the Fractal Define R4 and im completely satisfied with my case no complaints.
Im not sure if the whole bitcoin thing is still affecting graphics card prices but if you can get a 270 or a 270x for a good price hop on it.

ive read that the 450d is a good case, in case reviews on youtube it looks solid. i dont remember much anything bad being said.
I have the Fractal Define R4 and im completely satisfied with my case no complaints.
Im not sure if the whole bitcoin thing is still affecting graphics card prices but if you can get a 270 or a 270x for a good price hop on it.

The silver R4 is :wow: but it seems to me that the 450d has better dust filters or more of them. I have to clean out my current PC once a month or more often due to dust build up and it gets annoying :smh:

any suggestions for a mobo?

Whats the specs on your build?

This is Cuzzo.

I need suggestions. I planning a new build and I am wondering which route I should go?

Option 1

Hackintosh Mini-itx
Node 304
i5 haswell cpu
16gb ram
250 840 Evo SSD
3Tb Seagate Barracuda
750 ti
Corsair CS550M PSU

Main reason for this build is I need to replace my iMac that had gpu problems. It had a lot of my iOS stuff on there as well as my itunes library and work related stuff (iOS app dev etc).

Option 2

NAS Plex server
Node 304
i5 or Xeon cpu
16gb ram
SSD for caching
4-6 x 3Tb HD in raid for storage etc
550 or 650 PSU depending on # of drives used

Want to be able to transcode multiple streams.

Parts for the NAS aren't set yet. Still researching what I want to do.

The silver R4 is :wow: but it seems to me that the 450d has better dust filters or more of them. I have to clean out my current PC once a month or more often due to dust build up and it gets annoying :smh:

man I got the rosewill R5, has like 4 dust filters but I'm still in the same boat as you. I have a fan cooler so I'm thinking that's the problem since the side panel has vents. had to dust the hell out of it last time I opened it up.

Whats the specs on your build?

This is Cuzzo.

AMD FX-6300
Asus M5A97 R2.0
1 TB WD Blue
120GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD
Asus Radeon 7770
8GB ram
Corsair CX 500 80+ Bronze
Fractal Design Define R4

Simple was very affordable when I bought it last black friday. CPU and MOBO are solid for the next year or 2. Add another 1TB down the line. Maybe even another 8gigs of ram but I can get by with 8 for a bit. Still thinking about upgrading the graphics card but ehhh Ill get around to it sooner or later. I saw a video where a guy had 2 Radeon R9 290x's and put closed loop water coolers on them so i kinda wanna do that just because of how cool it looked but i dont wanna shell out a rack for em right now :lol: Maybe get 1 for now and see how that goes.

I dont have any experience with Mobo's with that chipset since I run a AMD CPU so Im not much help there. But Asus is always a good brand when it comes to motherboards. I use pcpartpicker to read reviews and I follow linustechtips on youtube if you need helpful videos and reviews.

man I got the rosewill R5, has like 4 dust filters but I'm still in the same boat as you. I have a fan cooler so I'm thinking that's the problem since the side panel has vents. had to dust the hell out of it last time I opened it up.

I am using a cooler master centurion 590 and it has similar side vents like yours. Basically, the dust gets in from those side vents and also the bottom vent to the power supply. It has no dust filers in those areas as well as the top vents :x. That is why I am not getting a case with side vents because they usually don't put good dust filers there. The Fractal midi 2 also has a pretty good anti dust filter, has a fan controller, and is cheaper than the Corsair 450D but I find the Corsair to be sexier :smokin

I'll just leave this here. About time we got a decent-looking racing sim. Will be out by November. Can't wait. :pimp: My rig would definitely need some more muscle by then. :lol:

Last edited:
who needs a racing sim... or any game for that matter, when a new Sid Meier game is coming out?

Last edited:
Need the best set up I can get for 700
It will be used for games browsing the net and school work

What do you guys think of i5 + gtx 750ti?

Last edited:
Need the best set up I can get for 700
It will be used for games browsing the net and school work

What do you guys think of i5 + gtx 750ti?

CPU - AMD FX 6300
RAM - G. Skill (2X4GB) 1600
GPU - GTX 750Ti
Motherboard - ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
HDD - Western Digital WD Blue 1TB
PSU - Corsair CX 500

Add a SSD if you want, Any case you want, I would suggest a aftermarket CPU cooler,
The parts i listed is around $500 but that dosnt include Case, CPU Cooler, OS, DVD drive

GPU wise The 750Ti is about $150 but if you can save up for $180 you can get a R9 270 if you want to game at 1080p on High/Ultra

Also this is almost identical to my Build. and Im pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
First post in here, props to everyone for all of the great info.

I'm thinking about building a custom rackmount PC for a recording studio setup in the near future; something akin to http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/CS450v3.php.

I've looked on Tiger Direct and found that there are server cases available to do a project like this (see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811165083); I'm looking to fit all of my gear into a single rack to save space and help with cable management.

Does anyone have any insight into how to make a build like this a success? Are there any potential problems that I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance for all of your input.

Figured this thread was overdue for a bump  
laugh.gif

I just bought a refurbished Asus laptop for $500 (Asus Q501LA). Main reason I bought it was because of the 1080p IPS display. Never seen a laptop with that sharp a display for that price so I had to jump on it. 

i5 Haswell processor 

6GB RAM

750GB HDD

In the next coming weeks, I plan on maxing RAM to 12GB and switching the HDD out for a 128GB SSD. I'll use an external HDD for media consumption. WIsh me luck fellas, this will be my first time putting these kinds of parts together. I'm excited and scared 

so my computer froze up last night so I had to restart it. upon restart the monitor never came out of sleep mode leaving me with no signal.

Anyone know what my problem is?

edit:

and my mouse and keyboard aren't turning on so it must be more than just the signal.

Last edited:
Help:

I just got a dell xps 8700 desktop. I want to do a clean install on a new sad and use the HDD for mass storage. I've been looking for some guide how to do it and saw some of it but I still got some question after installing the OS on the ssd.

How do I install all the drivers needed?
I know i can get the updated drivers from dell.. Do i need to put them all together in a USB stick or cd? How and when to install them all?

Thanks for any help!!!

I need to get a new PC for my reception desk at work - just needs an update as it's running XP and getting a bit old. Not needed for anything complex - spreadsheets, word processing, web-based online diary...

Anyone see any problems with this spec from Novatech.co.uk? - used them before after a recommendation from a friend in the industry and the last one was good.

Novatech Micro ATX Tower Case Pro Series
GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2H Intel H81 (Socket 1150) Motherboard
Intel 4th Gen Dual Core Pentium G3450 3.4GHz
Stock CPU cooling
4GB (1x 4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Dimm
No Discrete Graphics Card Required
Kingston SSDNOW V300 120GB SSD
22x DVD Writer
FSP 300Watt ATX Power Supply
Novatech Standard Wired USB Mouse
Novatech Standard USB Keyboard
Onboard Audio
Windows 7 Professional

I like the idea of a SSD - and it doesn't have to be big as not a lot is store on the PC. Needs to be Windows 7 - I want it to look as similar as possible to the old one (XP) and W8 would be a step too far - I don't want to spend all day having to point out where things are.

Thanks. As always any help will receive the undying gratitude of an Administrator on NT.

1. Terms of undying gratitude
By using this service you are agreeing to be bound by these web site Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using the service.
2. User License
a. Permission is granted to receive the undying gratitude of NT administrator kdawg for personal, non-commercial transitory reasons only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
i. modify or copy the service;
ii. use the service for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
iii. remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the service; or
iv. transfer the service to another person or "mirror" the materials on any other server.[/INDENT]
b. This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by kdawg at any time or automatically 30 days after acceptance.
3. Disclaimer
a. The service by kdawg is provided "as is". kdawg makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, kdawg does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the service.
4. Limitations
In no event shall kdawg or his suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption,) arising out of the use or inability to use the services of kdawg's undying gratitude, even if kdawg or a kdawg authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Terms of Use Modifications
kdawg may revise these terms of use at any time without notice. By using this service you are agreeing to be bound by the then current version of these Terms and Conditions of Use.
6. Governing Law
Any claim relating to kdawg's web site shall be governed by the laws of the State of Niketalk without regard to its conflict of law provisions.

Privacy Policy
Your privacy is very important to us. Accordingly, we have developed this Policy in order for you to understand how we collect, use, communicate and disclose and make use of personal information. The following outlines our privacy policy.
• Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
• We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
• We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
• We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
• Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
• We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
• We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
Kdawg is committed to conducting business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.

I need to get a new PC for my reception desk at work - just needs an update as it's running XP and getting a bit old. Not needed for anything complex - spreadsheets, word processing, web-based online diary...

Anyone see any problems with this spec from Novatech.co.uk? - used them before after a recommendation from a friend in the industry and the last one was good.
I like the idea of a SSD - and it doesn't have to be big as not a lot is store on the PC. Needs to be Windows 7 - I want it to look as similar as possible to the old one (XP) and W8 would be a step too far - I don't want to spend all day having to point out where things are.

Thanks. As always any help will receive the undying gratitude of an Administrator on NT.

1. Terms of undying gratitude
By using this service you are agreeing to be bound by these web site Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using the service.
2. User License
a. Permission is granted to receive the undying gratitude of NT administrator kdawg for personal, non-commercial transitory reasons only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
i. modify or copy the service;
ii. use the service for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
iii. remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the service; or
iv. transfer the service to another person or "mirror" the materials on any other server.[/INDENT]
b. This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by kdawg at any time or automatically 30 days after acceptance.
3. Disclaimer
a. The service by kdawg is provided "as is". kdawg makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, kdawg does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the service.
4. Limitations
In no event shall kdawg or his suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption,) arising out of the use or inability to use the services of kdawg's undying gratitude, even if kdawg or a kdawg authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Terms of Use Modifications
kdawg may revise these terms of use at any time without notice. By using this service you are agreeing to be bound by the then current version of these Terms and Conditions of Use.
6. Governing Law
Any claim relating to kdawg's web site shall be governed by the laws of the State of Niketalk without regard to its conflict of law provisions.

Privacy Policy
Your privacy is very important to us. Accordingly, we have developed this Policy in order for you to understand how we collect, use, communicate and disclose and make use of personal information. The following outlines our privacy policy.
• Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
• We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
• We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
• We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
• Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
• We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
• We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
Kdawg is committed to conducting business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
Pretty good, only suggestion I would have is prolly to get an i5 processor to keep it running for the next 2-4 years without upgrades
What's the budget

Thanks. That works out at about $550. The i3 is $60 more and the i5 is $150.

Thanks. That works out at about $550. The i3 is $60 more and the i5 is $150.
Yeah only cause you really don't much as you're not fling anything demanding. You will love installing Win7 on an SSD. My comp starts up in seconds due to that.

This should be fine, but I recommend an i5 as mentioned.

And yes, Win 7 > 8.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom