Official PC thread.

Amazon obviously knows I've been looking at PCs - they sent me an email yesterday with a half price basic system - basically everything I wanted except the SSD. Couldn't resist it at the price so I ordered it - arrived half an hour ago. The processor is just a Pentium G3250 but if it does 18/12 at that price I'll be happy.

I ordered a SSD which should be here in a few days so I'll just clone the drive and change it over. Doesn't look complicated.

^what was your price range? I'm looking to build something for around 700 including monitor, that can play
any game and eventually some streaming.

As little as possible!

Like I said before, just a basic PC for word processing and browsing so nothing fancy. Got that for just under $400 all in. No monitor - just base unit, mouse and keyboard.

Only thing missing is wifi but I'm going to get a USB adaptor round the corner when I finish work tonight - normally it is plugged into my network anyway, just want wireless to set it up. I tried using the one out of an old system I have which runs a slideshow in our waiting area - but I can't get a driver for it. I'm just leaving that PC with Windows XP as it doesn't do anything but show the same slideshow all day.

Last edited:
The SSD seems to be a success. Got free software to clone the drive that was in there - took about 10 minutes to do that. Swapped the leads around, nice little 2.5" space next to the other HD so it's nice and neat in the case. I can go from off to in my online management system in 19s. Super quiet too.

I need to get a new laptop for school this fall :rolleyes

I don't even know where to start...just need something solid

Will probably spend $700 max

I need to get a new laptop for school this fall
eyes.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314807

Looking to upgrade my GPU, it's been 4 years.

Have the Radeon HD 6870.

How are the R9's? I'm looking at a R9 280.

Thanks for the recommendations...will probably end up settling with a dell when the time comes. We get discounts with them through my job so it seems like a reasonable choice

I need to get a new laptop for school this fall :rolleyes

Asus Zenbook line has some really good options around that price 

Until you get it home like I did, research it and find out the hinges are no good and will probably fail and brake on you.

They really that bad? I got an Asus at home and my hinges are real stiff

Body ready for Windows ten...

This Windows 8 is basura

I heard June the other day for Windows 10 - that seems a bit soon, but the next few months is feasible.

In the meantime you want http://www.reviversoft.com/start-menu-reviver/ Makes a big difference - I never use that tiled W8 thing now - it behaves fairly like W7 and I like the way that start menu works - with a bit of setting it up it's got everything you need right there.

Back
Top Bottom