Official PC thread.

I'm planning to build my own pc and I'm going to use a i7 6800k 6 core cpu. If I want to use a geforce gtx 960 gpu, will that bottleneck my pc by a lot? Keep in mind that I'm not planning to do any gaming.

If you dont do any gaming you dont need a dedicated graphic card.

And since you don't need a graphic card, I recommend you go with the 6700K and use the integrated graphics.
You save yourself a lot of money and you also get quicksync with the 6700k integrated graphics.

And I know this is a taboo thing to say to the PC master race crowd but prebuilt pcs really arent bad.

I'm planning to build my own pc and I'm going to use a i7 6800k 6 core cpu. If I want to use a geforce gtx 960 gpu, will that bottleneck my pc by a lot? Keep in mind that I'm not planning to do any gaming.

what do you plan on using it for?

Slowly coming along

So I need your help NT... My wife & I are getting a gaming CPU for our son for Christmas... We were going to get Alienware's new Aurora R5

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienwa...ard-drive-epic-silver/5330000.p?skuId=5330000

But I'm intrigued this CyberPowerPC
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpo...0gb-solid-state-drive/5511004.p?skuId=5511004

Or something like this iBuyPower
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypow...ard-drive-black-white/5464600.p?skuId=5464600

I don't know anything about those brands but the specs look awesome compared to what's available on the Aurora R5 for essentially the same money.

Are CyberPowerPC & iBuyPower good brands? Are they reliable machines?

Last edited:
Stay away from Alienware.

If you don't want to build it yourself Cyberpower is pretty good.

If it doesn't matter just build it yourself. It's pretty easy to do

Last edited:
@psk2310 -- build your own. All of those are way overpriced for what you get.

What is your budget? What games does your kid wanna play?

Last edited:
I don't have the skills to build (& trouble shoot) my own desk top.

slighted slighted , my budget is $1000-$1200...

I'd recommend building it yourself as well, you'd save a decent amount of money for games/better parts.

Plus I think it'd be a fun project with your kid!

Last edited:
I was thinking of selling my pieces its 2 years old npw with good parts in it. Is there usually a market for a pc thats only that old?

I like alienware.

I am a big fan of the x51 series.
Dell would occasionally have great alienware deals on their refurbs

I heard nothing but bad things about cyberpower ibuypower support.

I been building pcs for over 10 years and honestly the novelty is getting kinda played out

Don't know how they are now but didn't have a problem with Cyberpower support at all when I got my first real gaming pc from them.

That graphics card was a beast...

AMD Radeon 4870x2 I was able to run everything on Ultra settings 8)

Died on me a year later though :smh:

This GTX 1070 will probably be even better

Tired of playing stuff on low settings :smh:

Pcs hardware is at the point of being too fast for software to handle.

Its been that way since sandy bridge came out, a 5+ year ago platform still holding its own even today

Building was fun back then because OCing hardware actually gave real performance increase
Now its unnoticeable and ocable parts are more expensive and its very time consuming to find the right settings.

I mean even if you OC say a 6700k, you will only get a a couple of hundred megahertz of extra speed after turbo boost
Push the limit further and you will need expensive board, cooler and voltage, not worth it especially the added the voltage.
Then you gotta test the OC setting for stability which can take day. Again not worth it.

The only thing separating a prebuild to a custom is the graphics card, which is probably the second easiest thing to install.

Honestly building a PC is just like advanced legos. 

Not really all that difficult, it'd be something cool to do with your kid.

roll.gif
 I assume people have more common sense than that

Look like the prequel to a Ham & CPU sandwich.

Last edited:
I'm getting pretty solid performance at 1440p/60fps. 

i5 6600k/rx 480/16gb ram ddr4

Most settings on high. MSAA at 2x. 

Still got fps drops here and there, so I'll have to tweak some more.

This game makes me want to cop a 1080, but I know it's not worth it.

Vega
nerd.gif

Got everything ordered 8)

Stuck with the GTX 1070. Started to lean towards the RX 480 but nah. Plus I've never used a NVIDIA card before, it's always been AMD for me

Took @JPEG's advice and went with 16GB RAM. AMD FX 8 core processor, 2 TB HDD and I'm gonna use the 1 TB HDD from my old pc till I decide to get a SSD

Got a Blue Snowball microphone and a Logitech 720p Webcam as well.

Also copped the El Gato HD60 S.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom