Official PC thread.

Waiting to see what’s up with the new AMD chips before I build a new desktop. Hopefully, they’re in the neighborhood of the last Intel.

I'm about to go totally paperless at work - I'm an eye doctor so the new part of that is that I will be recording all patient records on a PC. I already have 3 monitors on my main PC but this one will be easier to be separate as I want a touchscreen (and I don't think they'll play well together - as well as just being simpler to have them separate but on the same network).

The system I used is basically just a website that works in Chrome - so it doesn't require a lot of power, and I don't really need any local storage. I'll really just run Chrome and probably have MS word and Adobe Acrobat there for certain things. I like the idea of a mini PC but they're not very powerful - I've got a convertible laptop thing with basically the same specs for mobile use (I can walk around and input glasses orders basically) but would I be better with a proper PC instead?

I don't think I need a lot - few USBs, network capability and graphics output is probably it.

This is the spec of the one I looked at:

Product Dimensions 12 x 12 x 2.7 cm
Maximum Display Resolution 4K Ultra HD
Processor Brand Intel
Processor Type Atom
Processor Speed 1.92 GHz
Processor Count 4
RAM Size 4 GB
Memory Technology DDR3L SDRAM
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Size 64 GB
Hard Disk Technology eMMC
Hard Drive Interface USB 3.0
Graphics Coprocessor Intel HD Graphics 400
Graphics RAM Type DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics Card Interface Integrated
Wireless Type 802.11.a, 802.11bgn, Bluetooth
Number of HDMI Ports 1
Number of Ethernet Ports 1
Number of Microphone Ports 1
Wattage 2 watts
Power Source DC
Hardware Platform PC
Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Would that struggle to be used all day? - although not doing anything intensive it will be used for 8+ hours every day and if it's slow it would drive me crazy!

Thanks.

Yeah you don't need much, but I wouldn't use anything like that with an atom for work purposes. It will be slow and struggle, maybe look for something with an i5 processor. Doesn't seem like a lot but just those few apps, Chrome and Office are intense resource hogs.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - would be fine for at home for occasional use (thought about getting one to try and then I can always take it home) but I've been leaning towards an i5 processor with a SSD which should be pretty snappy - a little more expensive but not a lot so it's probably worth it.

Yeah, they're a lot cheaper than when I looked about 6 months ago - although as I said I don't need much storage so I've been looking at 128s - last time I was looking for a 256 for my new laptop or a 512 for my PC.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - would be fine for at home for occasional use (thought about getting one to try and then I can always take it home) but I've been leaning towards an i5 processor with a SSD which should be pretty snappy - a little more expensive but not a lot so it's probably worth it.
I would even think the newer i3's would be sufficient. And I would agree 8gb minimum would be required especially if chrome is being used. Chrome is a resource HOG.

Finally building a new PC.

Ryzen 5 2600x
MSI AB450 Tomahawk
Nvidia GTX 970 (kept this)
Corsair 16 GB DDR4 3000mhz
Corsair CX550M
Phanteks P350x

Have a homie that works at Corsair so got the ram and PSU for a pretty good discount.

Got the CPU today, everything else comes in tomorrow. Pumped!

Picked up some new caps.

IMG_20190314_233148.jpg

Just finally got Gigabit internet installed in my place today :nthat::wow:

My synology all setup. Man this absolutely needs to be everywhere. At this point I can never go back. Throughput is insane.

A couple of upgrades ...

Acer 240hz monitor (luckily just got G-Sync compatibility too)
EVGA RTX 2070 Black
Crucial P1 M.2 NVME SSD, 500 GB.

85505A8B-05E1-4751-BCD8-687AB00B1842.jpeg
5B320147-3928-41F5-A583-BAD92BBD1C4F.png

Picked up the Alienware AW3418DW a couple of months back - really loving it

*Schiit Loki too to complete the stack

Last edited:
How much were you able to get the monitor for? It’s been on my watch list for a year now, but I can’t bring myself to pay a g for a monitor.

yorkshire tea yorkshire tea

Last edited:
Need to pickup a new desktop amp for my cans. What's good for under $200 these days?

Running the AKG K702 Anniversary Editions.

Would prefer something not USB powered. Picked up a Fiio USB powered amp and after a while started getting an error message saying not enough USB power. All my ports were throwing that error.

So most def want something that draws power from the outlet.

Back
Top Bottom