Official PC thread.

What case fans y'all running? Want to replace my old ones.

I'm looking at the Pure Wings 2 from be quiet right now.
I'm currently rocking corsair LL RGB fans as I wanted to stay within the "corsair" theme. I do like noctua fans and thermaltake fans

Added these to my build

41jRizrlW1L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

28045_1__neev_044_2g.jpg

Slowly listing items to build a $800-1000 PC to handle gaming and photo editing.

Should be fun.

Just bought a TP-Link Archer AC1300 T6e wifi card for my pc and it bunzzzzzzz.
Was on customer support for forever didnt help, downloaded like 4 different drivers, didnt help.
This thing is goin to back to Amazon hell where it belongs.

Can anyone recommend a good pcie card or adapter so my pc is usuable??

Backstory: Got a wifi card bc my ethernet cable failed. The installer didnt have enough length when he ran the cable around the house so he spliced 2 ethernet cables together and my home cable probably died since its an older cable. I have Google Wifi, which is completely different than Google Fiber, which no customer service rep will understand until youre on the phone with them for 20 minutes and they finally check you account and then they will transfer you. But anyway, I found out they don't take care of it if you have a problem with your ethernet which they installed.They will only send someone if the wifi puck is not working bc again I'm "Google Wifi" not fiber... :stoneface:

The installer didnt have enough length when he ran the cable around the house so he spliced 2 ethernet cables together and my home cable probably died since its an older cable.

So the Google Wifi is just a router that still needs to be connected to a modem provided by your actual ISP... The installer you're talking about, who was the ISP that came and ran/activated the connection to wherever you're living? That's who you should call.

No point in talking with Google if its the line being ran to/around your home thats the issue and not the router itself. Google is your ISP only if you have Google Fiber. Nothing on the Google Wifi product page tells me they provide any ISP services whatsoever.

So basically your network should be: Outside connection ran to your home/apartment building provided by ISP --> Modem compatible with that connection possibly provided by ISP --> Google Wifi Router --> Wireless devices connected to router

Assuming im fully understanding what you wrote, a wireless card will never work if theres no wireless connection to access.

Last edited:
So the Google Wifi is just a router that still needs to be connected to a modem provided by your actual ISP... The installer you're talking about, who was the ISP that came and ran/activated the connection to wherever you're living? That's who you should call.

No point in talking with Google if its the line being ran to/around your home thats the issue and not the router itself. Google is your ISP only if you have Google Fiber. Nothing on the Google Wifi product page tells me they provide any ISP services whatsoever.

So basically your network should be: Outside connection ran to your home/apartment building provided by ISP --> Modem compatible with that connection possibly provided by ISP --> Google Wifi Router --> Wireless devices connected to router

Assuming im fully understanding what you wrote, a wireless card will never work if theres no wireless connection to access.

My ISP is Google Fiber, so i have their fiber line running to my house into the Google Wifi puck, which acts as the central router.
And since I have that Google Wifi puck, I manage my internet and network through an app on my phone that's connected to that central puck router.
So even though I have Google Fiber, if I have any issues connecting to the internet I have to go through Google Wifi, before them possibly transferring me over to Fiber if there is a bigger issue.
Also I can't change or edit wireless channels like I would if I was on Google Fiber, bc the app doesn't have that feature currently.

It's all mad confusing and seems super unnecesarry, but that's they way their running it.
I will say Google Wifi and that division seems more local, as compared to Fiber being an international customer support line, which is nice.

My ISP is Google Fiber, so i have their fiber line running to my house into the Google Wifi puck, which acts as the central router.
And since I have that Google Wifi puck, I manage my internet and network through an app on my phone that's connected to that central puck router.
So even though I have Google Fiber, if I have any issues connecting to the internet I have to go through Google Wifi, before them possibly transferring me over to Fiber if there is a bigger issue.
Also I can't change or edit wireless channels like I would if I was on Google Fiber, bc the app doesn't have that feature currently.

It's all mad confusing and seems super unnecesarry, but that's they way their running it.
I will say Google Wifi and that division seems more local, as compared to Fiber being an international customer support line, which is nice.

Honestly, i've never read about Google Wifi outside of skimming that page in my first reply and it's Friday so im feeling a lil lazy.

So i'd ask this, assuming this puck is both a modem/router, can you connect to the internet via an ethernet connection? Have you also checked to make sure the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands have been enabled on the puck?

Assuming all are true, when you're using your computer with your USB or slotted PCI-E wireless adapter, do you see registered in device manager? Assuming this is true, do you see any wireless networks to connect to at all?

Basically just moving down the list everywhere a potential failure may exist and eliminating it as the root cause.

Assuming you can connect to your network and you're still not getting internet, we can go from there

I think you misunderstood my first post completely lol.

The PCI-e card works, but it delivers trash speeds. It could just be my house setup, or bad drivers, or a mix of both.
The whole ethernet problem is just Google not taking credit for an install mistake since they outsource installers.
Maybe it not a install mistake more just a bad idea but yea instead of just sending someone to fix it, I have to hire someone or re-head an ethernet cable myself.
Just an annoying situation, because it's relatively not difficult to fix.

I'm in the market for a good 27inch 1440p 144hz monitor that's good for gaming and photo editing. Anyone have suggestions?

I'm open to 24in monitors too.

So far, I am thinking about going with a Dell S216DGR, ACER KG271U, or a LG 32GK650F-B

Just added a 1TB NVMe drive (SX8200 pro) that I picked up for $115 to my budget build from 2 years ago. Already had an SSD (old Samsung 830) and even then the difference is pretty big. Highly recommend it for those on the fence.

Mannnn, I regret getting an Nvidia card. Gsync monitors are stupid expensive for no reason.

You might still be able to use Freesync.

An Nvidia update a few months ago lets you. Some have certified Nvidia Gsync compatibility. For example, my Acer has Gsync compatability.

You might still be able to use Freesync.

An Nvidia update a few months ago lets you. Some have certified Nvidia Gsync compatibility. For example, my Acer has Gsync compatability.

Whoa looking into that now. Would've never thought they'd give in.

Hoping my GPU replacement ships today.

PC powered off last week while playing Wow. So I assumed it could've overheated. Booted everything up without powering the GPU to the power supply and every booted up fine. But when I plugged in the GPU it wouldn't power on. Confirmed that power supply I have is more than capable to handle what I have.

Hoping it arrives tomorrow and everything is in working order.

Hoping my GPU replacement ships today.

PC powered off last week while playing Wow. So I assumed it could've overheated. Booted everything up without powering the GPU to the power supply and every booted up fine. But when I plugged in the GPU it wouldn't power on. Confirmed that power supply I have is more than capable to handle what I have.

Hoping it arrives tomorrow and everything is in working order.

what's the build?

in other news, building a keyboard. just waiting for my case to come in.

Back
Top Bottom