Official PC thread.

Are there any recommendations for a decent cheap laptop? Mostly going to use if for the internet and occasional word document. But not a chromebook. Thanks!

Just got my new monitor stand and cockpit put together for my Sim rig today. Built the PC last year.

IMG_20200216_155817~2.jpg

IMG_20200216_204249~2.jpg

Need to upgrade my mobo so I can get a better CPU. My AMD chip isn't bad but it's not strong enough for the things I really want to do.

So picked up some new speakers and a subwoofer a couple months ago.

My G602 died so also got a Razer Basilisk Hyperspeed.

Next up is to maybe sell my 240hz for a new primary monitor. Or maybe go a vertical stack setup .. still considering both.

Also thinking of getting Holy Panda switches, but won't get here until June ...

Attachments

• 20200101_155656.jpg
    20200101_155656.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
I don't really know where else to post this but wondering if someone can help me out. I have an ASUS router and the 2.4Ghz it gives off is horrible in my house. The 5GHz is much faster and I've had no issues with it reaching all parts of my house. The problem is I have some equipment downstairs (camera, ring doorbell, etc.) that only take 2.4Ghz. Is there any configurations on my router I can do to try to improve the 2.4Ghz speed? Sounds like I probably have a bunch of traffic or conflicting signals with the 2.4Ghz in my house. I bought a wifi extender to place downstairs but it's basically useless. The 2.4Ghz signal downstairs is like 5Mbps and is so bad the camera and doorbell lose signal.

Do you guys think a mesh system would resolve my issues?

Sorry if I use some of the wrong language, this is new to me. :lol:

I don't really know where else to post this but wondering if someone can help me out. I have an ASUS router and the 2.4Ghz it gives off is horrible in my house. The 5GHz is much faster and I've had no issues with it reaching all parts of my house. The problem is I have some equipment downstairs (camera, ring doorbell, etc.) that only take 2.4Ghz. Is there any configurations on my router I can do to try to improve the 2.4Ghz speed? Sounds like I probably have a bunch of traffic or conflicting signals with the 2.4Ghz in my house. I bought a wifi extender to place downstairs but it's basically useless. The 2.4Ghz signal downstairs is like 5Mbps and is so bad the camera and doorbell lose signal.

Do you guys think a mesh system would resolve my issues?

Sorry if I use some of the wrong language, this is new to me. :lol:
Mesh router is definitely an option. How old is your ASUS router?

Yeah a mesh wireless setup where you can place one of the units near the devices would be your best bet. Still might be limited by the camera though.

Mesh router is definitely an option. How old is your ASUS router?

It's about 2 years old. I can send the model once I am back home. My question about the mesh system is, if my 2.4Ghz is so bad in my house right now, how would a mesh fix that? Example, if I test speeds in my house, the 2.4Ghz can be as low as 20-30Mbps standing right next to the router (5Ghz is 150-200Mbps in the same spot) and then by the time I'm downstairs it's non-existent. Do you think there are issues with the router itself?

It's about 2 years old. I can send the model once I am back home. My question about the mesh system is, if my 2.4Ghz is so bad in my house right now, how would a mesh fix that? Example, if I test speeds in my house, the 2.4Ghz can be as low as 20-30Mbps standing right next to the router (5Ghz is 150-200Mbps in the same spot) and then by the time I'm downstairs it's non-existent. Do you think there are issues with the router itself?
It's possible. Always good to check the router's firmware to see if it's up to date.

You mentioned that you bought a network extender, but didn't resolve the issue. How many items do you have using the network? If a lot, I do recommend getting a mesh router: Google, Netgear Orbi, Eero.

It's possible. Always good to check the router's firmware to see if it's up to date.

You mentioned that you bought a network extender, but didn't resolve the issue. How many items do you have using the network? If a lot, I do recommend getting a mesh router: Google, Netgear Orbi, Eero.

Only have 1 item on the extender but added 2 more yesterday, so 3 total. The speed was an issue even when only 1 item was on it. I'll check the firmware tonight. Thanks!

Only have 1 item on the extender but added 2 more yesterday, so 3 total. The speed was an issue even when only 1 item was on it. I'll check the firmware tonight. Thanks!
Placement of the device plays a role too. Older homes uses material that interfere with wifi signals.

If you have some devices that you could connect with an ethernet cable, I'd recommend that as another option.

A mesh would help slightly, but I think what you need to do is figure out what channels are crowded on the 2.4 network. Do a network scan, there are a few apps, but my Unifi router does it for me. 2.4 is the more common frequency, so everyone around you may be using it which is why 5 usually works betters, the general public rely on that frequency less and it has less distance ability.

How close are you to neighbors? It could be a signal strength issue and a mesh network would help a ton.

Placement of the device plays a role too. Older homes uses material that interfere with wifi signals.

If you have some devices that you could connect with an ethernet cable, I'd recommend that as another option.

Man I got a brand new home (well 2 years old) and the signal downstairs is a joke. :lol:

I can hardwire 1 of the 3 devices but the other two have to be on wifi.

A mesh would help slightly, but I think what you need to do is figure out what channels are crowded on the 2.4 network. Do a network scan, there are a few apps, but my Unifi router does it for me. 2.4 is the more common frequency, so everyone around you may be using it which is why 5 usually works betters, the general public rely on that frequency less and it has less distance ability.

How close are you to neighbors? It could be a signal strength issue and a mesh network would help a ton.

They are townhomes so we are very close to our neighbors. Can you recommend an app for the network scan if you know off one?

They are townhomes so we are very close to our neighbors. Can you recommend an app for the network scan if you know off one?
Not sure what kind of devices you own but if you have an iphone maybe this link will help.

You want to see which channels are being used, and set your router to not be on those channels. 5ghz has a lot more channels which helps it perform better. Problem is 5ghz signal isnt as strong, and the device has to support it.

Finally put together my PC while on self quarantine.

Fractal Design Define R6, 2070 Super, 3900X, 64 GB of RAM (for IT labbing), 2 TB 7200 HDD and Sabra 1 TB SSD.

Just need an OS. I bought Windows LTSC license from s-CD key. Definitely sketchy.

Finally put together my PC while on self quarantine.

Fractal Design Define R6, 2070 Super, 3900X, 64 GB of RAM (for IT labbing), 2 TB 7200 HDD and Sabra 1 TB SSD.

Just need an OS. I bought Windows LTSC license from s-CD key. Definitely sketchy.
if you need a place to buy a windows key let me know. I just bought one yday for my new MBP, was like 11 or 12 bucks. legit as well, got the link from a popular youtubers tutorial.

Back
Top Bottom