Official PC thread.

If you want cable mangement, I think choosing a case that allows you to route the cable to the back is most important. Modular PSU is a plus though.

If you want cable mangement, I think choosing a case that allows you to route the cable to the back is most important. Modular PSU is a plus though.

quick question, I got a old desktop which I want to use as a family computer, light stuff like surf the web, etc...

Its a compaq sr1900nx

-intel celeron d processor cpu 3.2ghz
-win 7
-2gb ram

It slow as f, and for some reason the old s from the previous win os is still there and taking up a lot of space. My question is, is it worth upgrading it to run decent or should I just cop a one from walmart. Im also looking for another monitor so I figure its cheaper to buy the whole thing.

and I need another computer to run programs such as autoCAD and PS smoothly. Should I build a pc or buy a mac? autocad just came out with a mac version so I havent heard much from other students but the autodesk website says its ight

http://www.autodesk.com/u...ow_reasons/en/index.html

here are the requirements for autoCAD

For 32-Bit AutoCAD 2012
Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (compare Windows 7 versions); Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows Vista[emoji]174[/emoji] Enterprise, Business, Ultimate, or Home Premium (SP2 or later) (compare Windows Vista versions); or Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] XP Professional or Home edition (SP3 or later)
For Windows Vista or Windows 7: Intel[emoji]174[/emoji] Pentium[emoji]174[/emoji] 4 or AMD Athlon[emoji]174[/emoji] dual-core processor, 3.0 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology; for Windows XP: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon dual-core processor, 1.6 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology
2 GB RAM
2 GB free disk space for installation
1,024 x 768 display resolution with true color
Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Internet Explorer[emoji]174[/emoji] 7.0 or later
Install from download or DVD

thanks

quick question, I got a old desktop which I want to use as a family computer, light stuff like surf the web, etc...

Its a compaq sr1900nx

-intel celeron d processor cpu 3.2ghz
-win 7
-2gb ram

It slow as f, and for some reason the old s from the previous win os is still there and taking up a lot of space. My question is, is it worth upgrading it to run decent or should I just cop a one from walmart. Im also looking for another monitor so I figure its cheaper to buy the whole thing.

and I need another computer to run programs such as autoCAD and PS smoothly. Should I build a pc or buy a mac? autocad just came out with a mac version so I havent heard much from other students but the autodesk website says its ight

http://www.autodesk.com/u...ow_reasons/en/index.html

here are the requirements for autoCAD

For 32-Bit AutoCAD 2012
Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (compare Windows 7 versions); Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows Vista[emoji]174[/emoji] Enterprise, Business, Ultimate, or Home Premium (SP2 or later) (compare Windows Vista versions); or Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] XP Professional or Home edition (SP3 or later)
For Windows Vista or Windows 7: Intel[emoji]174[/emoji] Pentium[emoji]174[/emoji] 4 or AMD Athlon[emoji]174[/emoji] dual-core processor, 3.0 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology; for Windows XP: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon dual-core processor, 1.6 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology
2 GB RAM
2 GB free disk space for installation
1,024 x 768 display resolution with true color
Microsoft[emoji]174[/emoji] Internet Explorer[emoji]174[/emoji] 7.0 or later
Install from download or DVD

thanks

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Asus laptops are awesome and reliable compared to whats out there, if you can't trust ASUS then you really can't trust any brand.
laugh.gif

Finally installed some liquid cooling, was getting some overheating messages and I've had no issues since (and quiet). I would update my video card but I really have no need to at this point.

Sorry for the cell phone pic.

Water cooling what are you running? and what case is that?

Asus laptops are awesome and reliable compared to whats out there, if you can't trust ASUS then you really can't trust any brand.
laugh.gif

Finally installed some liquid cooling, was getting some overheating messages and I've had no issues since (and quiet). I would update my video card but I really have no need to at this point.

Originally Posted by Los Angeles Fresh

if it's just for the web, put linux on the computer and it'll run like you just bought it yesterday.

i dont thin he can use linux for autocad

Originally Posted by Los Angeles Fresh

if it's just for the web, put linux on the computer and it'll run like you just bought it yesterday.

i dont thin he can use linux for autocad

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

laugh.gif

looks like corsair H50, it's basically noob water cooling, but it does the job. i have one cooling my i5.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

laugh.gif

looks like corsair H50, it's basically noob water cooling, but it does the job. i have one cooling my i5.

ehh dont think the rest of the fam will be comfortable using linux or any other OS besides windows but its a good idea to use as a extra computer

ehh dont think the rest of the fam will be comfortable using linux or any other OS besides windows but its a good idea to use as a extra computer

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

It slow as f, and for some reason the old s from the previous win os is still there and taking up a lot of space. 

well you might want to just back up all the important files on the machine, format the drive & reinstall the os. It might run a bit faster & go into msconfig & prevent useless programs from starting up

It slow as f, and for some reason the old s from the previous win os is still there and taking up a lot of space. 

well you might want to just back up all the important files on the machine, format the drive & reinstall the os. It might run a bit faster & go into msconfig & prevent useless programs from starting up

Back
Top Bottom