***OFFICIAL PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 2011 SEASON THREAD***

Originally Posted by illwill24

Oh and I dunno why everyone is goin on Samuels for....didn't u see he strained his groin in the first half? Thats the only reason he gave up that TD, he was on bad wheels and the safety was outta position. We have 3 really good CBs but they all play the same position, LCB

You know if a team picks up Haynesworth off waivers before COB today, you can get him for $700,000...thats like a Black Friday Walmart deal, I say pick him up for that price, if nothing else to keep fresh bodies on that line, esp since he's a 4-3 guy anyway
yeah man you are wayyyy off about the Asante stuff, we've been saying this about him the entire season not just this Bears game. Dude gives 10 yard cushions at the goal line and during short yardage passing situations EVERY SINGLE GAME, there is NO logic to it at all. He deserves 99.99% of the criticism we're giving him, Castillo gets the rest for allowing him to line up that way week in week out

Look there are a hundred reasons why the Eagles are 3-5 Im sure, but the fact of the matter is MACLIN LOST THOSE 3 GAMES for us. Sure he's been productive and he's a great receiver, but he messes up at the end of games bottom line. He led the team in receiving TDs last year I get that, but at the end of the game...lemme tell u right now you can bet money on ppl like that, no matter how good they are they mess up at the end of games. Yeh Vick was hurt vs Atl, but Kafka did well, he was 8-9, the only incompletion was that Maclin drop.

And Samuel is good but that is a completely different secondary from last year. Nnamdi has been a bit of a disappointment, and DRC is not playing like he did in AZ bottom line. Samuel had awesome chemistry with Quentin Mikell the past few years, he would give him a sign on some plays where he would gamble for a pick and Mikell would cover for him, they made each other look good. And on that TD whoever Nate Allen's backup was made the wrong assignment. Bennett was having a field day over the middle, so Samuels played the middle and Bennett hit the corner of the end zone. Like Tuck said at the end of the day it's all about chemistry.

Originally Posted by illwill24

Look there are a hundred reasons why the Eagles are 3-5 Im sure, but the fact of the matter is MACLIN LOST THOSE 3 GAMES for us. Sure he's been productive and he's a great receiver, but he messes up at the end of games bottom line. He led the team in receiving TDs last year I get that, but at the end of the game...lemme tell u right now you can bet money on ppl like that, no matter how good they are they mess up at the end of games. Yeh Vick was hurt vs Atl, but Kafka did well, he was 8-9, the only incompletion was that Maclin drop.

And Samuel is good but that is a completely different secondary from last year. Nnamdi has been a bit of a disappointment, and DRC is not playing like he did in AZ bottom line. Samuel had awesome chemistry with Quentin Mikell the past few years, he would give him a sign on some plays where he would gamble for a pick and Mikell would cover for him, they made each other look good. And on that TD whoever Nate Allen's backup was made the wrong assignment. Bennett was having a field day over the middle, so Samuels played the middle and Bennett hit the corner of the end zone. Like Tuck said at the end of the day it's all about chemistry.
that's a good point ight there where I can understand Asante's way of thinking, I saw a replay on NFL live yesterday where they showed Tramon Williams do the exact same thing by baiting Philip Rivers into a pick 6 after signaling to the saftey to cover over the top. Thing is Asante does this on nearly every play, you just can't rely on that on a 3rd and 4or red zone situations, you get killed EVERY time

we really need to study the jets and the way they use revis and the rest of their CBs.. basically letting revis go on one player the majority of the time, while the rest of the D schemes around that.. whether it be playing man or zone

and to be honest, that's what i thought we were doing after the bills and cowboys game.. but for some reason we went back to having nnamdi out in zone for a few plays this last game

The Eagles lose when they're not having fun..That might sound idiotic since this is the NFL and not a flag football league but that's the way they play..They play because they love the game and have fun doing it...There are players like Peyton Manning who are surgeons on the field..They have everything mathematically right in their mind, and scan the field like the Terminator with a football..Mike Vick and the majority of this offense are not like that..Vick will not go out on that field and correctly predict what the defense will do as often as a player like Rodgers will do..Vick is an instincts guy. When his instincts tell him to run, he runs..When it tells him to stay in the pocket, he does (usually)...But when he has those hesitation games like he did against the Bears, where he questions his instincts, he plays like crap.

When the Cowboys game started, I felt like they were having fun..Even the defense looked excited and happy to be out there on that field..They had this aura that was like "there is no way in hell we will allow ourselves to lost this game." But they all seemed hyped and happy to be playing...However, against the Bears, they looked super tense..The same type of tense that they looked when they lose those 4 straight..There was just something that wasn't right about them..Don't wanna compare them to the Heat but when the Heat started their season, they looked like they were trying too hard not to make mistakes rather than just going out there and doing what they do best..That's how the Eagles look most of the time..Like they're focused more on not making a mistake and proving the doubters wrong than they do about just going out there and making plays..When you play uptight, you set yourself up for failure.

When they had the "Miracle at the New Meadowlands" last season, nothing changed scheme wise in the 2nd half..They ran the same kind of plays but executed them better because they came out passionate and full of excitement..They just looked electric..But I haven't had that sense watching them very often so far this season

the only knock i really throw on maclin was the ATL game.. he should have caught that pass

the niners game, i consider that a heads up defensive play more than i blame maclin.. the defender ran up behind maclin and was smart enough to catch him off guard

the bears game, watch the play (excuse the title name, but it best shows what i am about to say):

i'm impressed he even caught the ball.. vick threw it high

Honestly, I feel like the Giants are the only team that has legitimately beaten us, this season.  Every other game that we've lost has been because of some type of mental error (errors).  Yea our run D has sucked, but if we've been playing at least remotely mistake free football we would have won the rest of those games.  4 of our 5 losses have been by a total of 20 points (not counting the Giants game).  This season has been unfortunate to say the least.
It's not over, until we're virtually out of playoff contention, though.  I still have hope.

evan mathis/king dunlap/jamal jackson stuff:

shlynch Sam Lynch
Makes me sad that it is King Dunlap getting reps at LG rather than Jamaal Jackson. I struggle to believe that King would be better.

LesBowen Les Bowen
The King of Dunlap says he believes he is starting at left guard this week, with Evan Mathis limping. Has there ever been a 6-9 guard?

Jonathan Tamari
King Dunlap says he expects to start at LG Sun. Mathis has turf toe. Dunlap has never played G though he has practiced there some #Eagles

other news:
Jeff_McLane Jeff McLane
#Eagles S Nate Allen still has to go through concussion testing process but he isn't likely to play Sunday.

Jeff McLane
DRC will still be at the nickel and Jarrett is at safety, according to one #Eagles defensive player.

EaglesInsider Eagles Insider
Rodgers-Cromartie said the #Eagles are preparing to play Skelton instead of Kolb at QB. Was a fan of Skelton's in AZ.

At the end of the day, I just hope the Eagles can finish out these games...The season is only halfway done its not over yet, but its not looking good. I hope they keep Maclin and Jackson, they are both gamebreakers. They just need to shore up the run defense, I think the rest will take care of itself.

this makes a lot more sense now:

EaglesInsider Eagles Insider
One factor in 6-9 Dunlap playing LG vs. ARI, as pointed out by several #Eagles, is that he'll often line up vs. 6-8 DE Calais Campbell

but if jamal isn't getting in as our main backup guard.. then he's here solely as the backup center.. and he might be gone next year too considering these are the last 2 years of his contract: 1,875,000 & 1,975,000
(he's making 1,675,000 this year)

eyes.gif
at Vick being terrible, that pass was high but he's proven he's good

i think the hits he was taking were OD, especially that Lance Briggs one out of bounds
Edit:

Jarrett starting 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dunlap starting 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

From the Sporting News:

The Philadelphia Eagles need more big plays from wide receiver DeSean Jackson.

Here are Jackson’s numbers over the past three games: eight catches, 93 yards, zero touchdowns. Jackson has one touchdown catch over his past seven games, and he was held to two catches for 16 yards during Monday night’s loss to the Chicago Bears. His lost fumble on a punt return also set up a Bears touchdown at the end of the first half.

Jackson’s lack of production is magnified because the Eagles at 3-5 are fading out of playoff contention. Getting more from their biggest deep threat is one of the many problems the Eagles face.

“I guess they try to do everything in their power not to let us run on the field and make those big plays that we have made over the years,’’ Jackson told reporters after the Monday night game. “I have to find a way to make it happen and get through it.

I know we are half way done with the season, and we have so many games remaining. But I don't see us doing much of anything for the rest of the season. Sure there are games that we "should" win, but the way this team plays, we don't know what we will have on the field. Will we have the high powered team that we saw against the Cowboys? Or will we see the team that lost all these games? I don't know, but I guess I'm not that optimistic as some of you might be. I just have the feeling that this season, at this point, is over. 
ohwell.gif

^ i'm with you.. like i said in some other thread..

we aren't dead, but we are on life support and fading fast.. we really need a miracle to survive, ESPECIALLY since we lost to atlanta and chicago (so the wild card is gone, since both of those teams might be in position for it.. so we would lose any tie breaker)

we have the following winnable games:
cards
@ seahawks
@ dolphins

unfortunately we also have these ones:
@ giants
pats
jets
@cowboys

Are you guys loopy? This team is POOR in the trenches. They don't have a "dream team" because more than half of the pieces they have on the defensive side of the football are BAD. They just do not have the personnel to be a good defensive football team.

I said this was an 8-8 football team at the beginning of the season, and the only Super Bowl they would be contending for is in Madden, and as this season has gone, I haven't seen anything that makes me think otherwise.

The Reid way of thought values certain aspects of the team, and certain types of players, and we will continue to get these types of players to fit into the Reid scheme, and in my opinion, this scheme will never win us a championship. I don't feel the need to languish as an upper-mid level team, and I would much rather move on, and deal with down years to move on to a different system.

They were real poor against Ware and Jay Rattlif last week huh...
The Problem is 2 different schemes...
You got guys who work best in man DRC , Nmamdi guys who work best in zone Zant
You got a big DE, and a guy who is best as a big DE in Jenkins playing DT because your situational pass rusher Babin is now starting and playing full time.
Huge Bird.. To me this is that transition year...

[h1]Leadership void has Eagles searching for answers[/h1]
[table][tr][td]
65954694.jpg

Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid calls a play against the Chicago Bears on Monday night. (APRIL BARTHOLOMEW, THE MORNING CALL / November 7, 2011)
[/td][/tr][/table]

Nick Fierro
9:31 p.m. EST, November 8, 2011

PHILADELPHIA — Nnamdi Asomugha walks off the practice field, makes sure to stay out of the Eagles' NovaCare Complex locker room until well after reporters have been evacuated and dresses in silence each day. All the better to avoid the inevitable discussion of his stunning mediocrity.

Jason Babin concocts a wild, fictional tale about some motivational speaker defensive line coach Jim Washburn brought in to speak to his troops before the Eagles broke their four-game losing streak at Washington on Oct. 16, then spins it as if it's fact in a transparent (but fortunately unsuccessful) effort to make a fool of those covering the team.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who's already developed a reputation for taking some plays off, comes up with a particularly lame-brain explanation after their latest loss, saying he quit on one play because "I tapped the ball, and when I tapped it I felt the ball hit my hands so I thought I knocked it down, but evidently I tapped it into [the receiver's] hands and I didn't realize it until he was tackled."

Jason Avant says he doesn't want fans jumping back on the bandwagon after the Eagles won two in a row to revive the preseason optimism around the team, says he won't apologize, wants to create an us-versus-them mentality for his teammates.

In the meantime, teammates who might be inclined to think that kind of behavior is not conducive to building a championship team — players such as Jamar Chaney, Cullen Jenkins, Mike Patterson, Jason Kelce, Jamaal Jackson, Todd Herremans and Danny Watkins, just to name a few — either haven't been with the team long enough for their opinions to carry enough weight or don't fully understand the leadership vacuum this team has had since Brian Dawkins, Jon Runyan and Tra Thomas departed after the 2008 season.

Not coincidentally, that was the last time the Eagles won a playoff game, and that dynamic will remain in effect until next season at the earliest.

Until some of the too-young personalities are allowed to emerge as alpha males on a team that rarely plays together anymore, the Eagles will continue to be what they've been through the first half of the season: a maddening collection of exquisitely talented athletes with no clue of how to make their gifts work for them in a league that eats their kind up and spits them out every week.

Leadership at the field level counts for a lot. It can't even be quantified. And it's the biggest intangible this team is missing.

Probably the only one.

Fact is, a breakdown of the Eagles' first-half performance suggests they're much, much worse than their 3-5 record indicates, not better, as they and most of their fan base foolishly still believe to be the case in the wake of Monday night's hideous 30-24 loss to the Chicago Bears.

Their three wins have come against St. Louis, Washington and Dallas, who have a combined record of 8-16. None are better than .500.

Their five losses have come against Atlanta, New York Giants, San Francisco, Buffalo and Chicago, who have a combined record of 28-12. Every one of those teams has a winning record.

On top of that, four of their five losses have come after they had built fourth-quarter leads. Their other, a 31-24 travesty at Buffalo on Oct. 9, was highlighted by veteran defensive end Juqua Parker, the oldest, longest-tenured and most experienced player on their roster, going brain-dead and jumping offside on a fourth-down play in which the Bills had no intention of snapping the ball late in the fourth quarter. Had the Eagles forced a punt there, well ... you all know the rest by now.

They disappear in the fourth quarter consistently and can't even figure out why, when it's a simple lack of discipline, concentration and, yes, sometimes coaching.

"Honesty, I don't know," wide receiver DeSean Jackson said, speaking more or less for the whole team. "I think in our powers and in our mind, we want to go out there and succeed and do everything the correct way, but at the end of the day it's human nature. Sometimes things don't always go the way we plan or the way we practice."

Human nature.

Human nature?

This Dream Team of a squad ran like a pack of spooked wildebeests from the label backup quarterback Vince Young innocently hung on them in the early stages of training camp. Now we know why.

Tuesday, Andy Reid, the guy who tried to win Monday night's game by having a doe-eyed rookie punter heave a pass to a safety who's a special-teams ace exclusively, promised to "get this thing right."

Hey, after 13 seasons on the job, at least he's had a lot of practice.

Reid actually has a chance to make good on that promise, but only after some firm leadership emerges at the field level.

As far as that goes, the prospects are encouraging with guys like Chaney, Kelce and Kurt Coleman.

Until then, though, the Eagles will continue to be nothing more than a bully squad that preys on the weak and can't stand up to any legitimate team that stands up to them and punches them in the face.

link:
http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/eagles/mc-column-fierro-1108-20111108,0,3396317.column

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

The Problem is 2 different schemes...
You got guys who work best in man DRC , Nmamdi guys who work best in zone Zant
You got a big DE, and a guy who is best as a big DE in Jenkins playing DT because your situational pass rusher Babin is now starting and playing full time.

1) our 1st problem is that andy reid decided he had problems vs. the 'wide 9' scheme (and it's easy to understand why a scheme that plays the run on it's why to going after the QB would give an andy reid team problems) and went out and hired his DLine coach (jim washburn) BEFORE he hired the definsive coordinator

and there were legititmate options who wanted to come to philly, like mike trgovac or winston moss:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/02/winston-moss-campaigns-to-coordinate-eagles-defense/

2) because we always drafted 1 gap DTs to play in jim johnson's scheme that used quickness for penetration we were always 'light' at the DT position (as opposed to washburn who uses the formation).. all of our DTs are smaller guys.. dixon, who got hurt, was our only DT listed over 305.. patterson is listed at 300, jenkins 305, laws 304 and landri 290.. again that's listed weightt, and we all know how that works

3) our DEs fit the 'wide 9' scheme, because we have the speedy guys to make it work.. unfortunately, as mentioned in 2, we don't have the DTs to hold up with the extra blockers

4) our LBs don't fit the scheme whatsoever.. because we always ran a cover 2 similar to tampa bay under JJ old scheme we drafted smaller faster guys that are SUPPOSED to be good in coverage.. but now these guys are being asked to take on Olineman and shed blocks because of the following:
-our DEs run themselves out of the play
-the interior Olinemen can simply directional block the DTs
-and TA DA.. the other teams Olinemen basically get a free pass to your LBs on any running play

5) in the secondary.. we knew going in that these guys weren't that fimiliar with one another.. and that our safeties were young or new.. sooooooo we decide to run zone, where you need familiarity.. and it also places extra responsibilities upon the safeties

so baiscally the whole thing was a mess from the start

we should have just kept it simple.. should have traded asante when his value was at it's highest.. instead of signing babin, got another big bodied guy for cheap just for insurance

went with a base DLine of: jenkins-patterson-dixon-cole

then on passing downs kick kenkins inside and go: tapp-jenkins-patterson (or laws)-cole

also hansen is our best and only slot guy.. so play him there

BleedingGreen BleedingGreenNation
Eagles Vs Cardinals Injury Report: Evan Mathis & Nate Allen Ruled Out

ProFootbalFocus ProFootballFocus.com
the receiver who has dropped most catchable balls? Desean Jackson of #eagles dropping 19.44% of catchable balls #contractyear

Back
Top Bottom