Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

3885294267_717d5a7749_o.jpg

{ at best buy for horrible customer service today.. i had got a rewardzone coupon that would save me about 95 bucks on my D5000 it starts tommrow ( the coupon) but i wanted to use it dude tell's me oh you cant use it tulltomorrow.. im like can i adjust the price tomorrow and pay now "well we cant guarantee it.." I was pissed and just left.. not to mention dude washelping this old guy for like 20 mins that didnt buy a dam thing then when im up next he locks the d5000 up and disappears .. and i had to call anotherassociate to get it just to get shut down at the register SMH ..

Equipment:
D90
That's it...

I'm new to all of this and I use auto most of the time on my shots, you should be able to tell. I didnt have a tripod, so pics arent the most steady.

Goes down every first Thursday of the month at the Varsity here in Atlanta.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My Flickr

This one was cool. Looked like smoke was coming from the building
glasses.gif

3886535708_066dab79b5_o.jpg

Only clouds though..
3886535880_32d5a10b22_o.jpg

3885736593_05be5b3e55_o.jpg

3886535436_f070077e84_o.jpg

Originally Posted by sigmakidownz

^Equipped with a D90? Those shots should look a lot better, keep it up!

I dont know the first thing about photography. Complete n00b with a D90. Advice?

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

I dont know the first thing about photography. Complete n00b with a D90. Advice?
Do some research online on all the basics of photography. Try to develop some understanding of how to frame a shot, what proper aperture to use,what shutter speeds to use, etc etc. Your shots were taken at night and night shots are never easy (even if you're equipped with a D90.) If you want to digdeeper, go find a photography book at the library or at a bookstore.

Just got back from BKK and took a lot but wasnt really happy of how they came out. A lot to sort through but the view from my seat was pretty nice.
3885377967_9610d2738f.jpg

Originally Posted by KobeBeef

you should invest in a external flash. i'd rather learn with that early then later.

Right. I'm not being a smartass, but I figured that. I can tell how much of a difference good light makes. That's on the list of things to get in thefuture, along with a tripod in the near future. Thanks for your advice though.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Do some research online on all the basics of photography. Try to develop some understanding of how to frame a shot, what proper aperture to use, what shutter speeds to use, etc etc. Your shots were taken at night and night shots are never easy (even if you're equipped with a D90.) If you want to dig deeper, go find a photography book at the library or at a bookstore.

I have The Digital Photography Book and I read most of it, so I picked up on a lot of the tips from there. Most of ithas to do with keeping the camera steady though... Night shots are the worse when it comes to movement and shakey hands, that's why I need a tripod. I'm not quite sure about what you mean when you say frame a shot though? Does that mean getting objects straight in the frame? I have a hard time with thatwithout a tripod. Like the photo where the building looks like it's leaning. I'll take all of your advice. Thanks for it.

Originally Posted by KobeBeef

you should invest in a external flash. i'd rather learn with that early then later.

Right. I'm not being a smartass, but I figured that. I can tell how much of a difference good light makes. That's on the list of things to get in the future, along with a tripod in the near future. Thanks for your advice though.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Do some research online on all the basics of photography. Try to develop some understanding of how to frame a shot, what proper aperture to use, what shutter speeds to use, etc etc. Your shots were taken at night and night shots are never easy (even if you're equipped with a D90.) If you want to dig deeper, go find a photography book at the library or at a bookstore.

I have The Digital Photography Book and I read most of it, so I picked up on a lot of the tips from there. Most of it has to do with keeping the camera steady though... Night shots are the worse when it comes to movement and shakey hands, that's why I need a tripod. I'm not quite sure about what you mean when you say frame a shot though? Does that mean getting objects straight in the frame? I have a hard time with that without a tripod. Like the photo where the building looks like it's leaning. I'll take all of your advice. Thanks for it.
When I mentioned framing the shot, I meant how to capture an effective image as opposed to just pressing a button and getting a picture. Anyonecan take a picture but not many do it well. It's not a knock on you at all btw. You have to figure out what makes an image interesting and what willcapture the attention of someone that looks at the photo. You might have an interesting subject (such as the building) but is the shot you took the best way ofpresenting it? Let's take a look at those car shots. Were those really the most effective angles you could have taken? The one from below the car isn'tfocused correctly and you're getting weird things (like your shadow.) The other one it seems like you're shooting horizontal to the car. Ask yourselfwhether there's a better way you could approach that shot. It's also pretty important to keep the rule of thirds in mind too.

I wish I had a D90
mad.gif
laugh.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Halftime718

I did i just want opinions from my NT brothern sorry for rushing.
Is it really a point and shoot because i need a manual camera even though i emailed my teacher and she said it looked okay i just dont want her to tell me later its not acceptable for the course.

Thanks again
'sall good, my apologies then. Good luck shooting and have fun.

laugh.gif
@ "those shots should look better".

ATL, try shooting in Manual and just mess around with the shutter speed and aperture until you get comfortable with your camera. Also, for night shots, tryincreasing the ISO (as long as your camera remains steady).

I also shoot with a D90 and find it very easy to shoot in Manual. You can also try adjusting the levels, contrast, sharpness, etc, of your shots in PS for acrisper looking picture. Good luck.

for those shots, change your w/b. what aperture are you shooting on? at night, open it all the way and keep your hand steady for a long exposure.boost up that ISO, enough so it can take the night shot, but not too much so its noisy/grainy.

Rikan, here you go (my bad on responding late)

3726320075_87e87f2ed6_b.jpg

3727120584_bdcefba050_b.jpg

to see my pics from that evening:

http://www.flickr.com/pho...28268613@N07/3726320075/

Originally Posted by DJ bana

for those shots, change your w/b. what aperture are you shooting on? at night, open it all the way and keep your hand steady for a long exposure. boost up that ISO, enough so it can take the night shot, but not too much so its noisy/grainy.

Cool. How does white balance work exactly? That's one thing I never learned about. And I really need to start using the manual option on my cam. Also...

Tripod recommendations? What should I be looking for in a tripod?

Can anyone recommend a decent but fairly priced light box or mini photo studio w/ lights?
Doesn't have to be overly huge, just for taking accessories (ie: watches, phones, etcc.) and maybe shoes.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I was looking to upgrade my body...

...instead I bought:

Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Speedlite 430EXII

So much for my indoor shooting problems lol. Can't wait to play with these mofos.

Originally Posted by RuleOfThirds

Originally Posted by DJ Entendre

Shot with my rebel T1i, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8

Nice Shorts Pt.1 "Southern Living" from Evesborough Films on Vimeo.

�I kinda wanna make a film thread but over the years I never been sure how many film NT'ers there are on here...

Good stuff!� Go for it, I will be a contributor
happy.gif
Co-sign. The thread could turn out to be a great hit. Cool Vid also
pimp.gif
. I'm saving those pennies for a DSLR with vid capabilities.

I have a D60 and the stock lens what came with the pack.Im using it since 1 year now and want to buy a new/different lens.I want a lens to have fun takingpictures with.im still new to this and far away from beeing a pro.I use my camera for everyday things ,traveling and sometimes for ebay.I like to do portraitsand taking pictures of people.I know there will be no lens for all of it together.But maybe you can recommend me 2 lenses and i buy one and save up for theother one.. . my budget is not so much like $ 650.Any advice ?

^^^I am sure everyone will suggest this but get the 35mm f/1.8G. It is about $200 and it is a pretty good all around lens. I don't shoot with it a lotmyself but it is good for low light settings, can do some good portraits and is an overall good everyday lens if you aren't a zoom-in guy.

Back
Top Bottom