Official Pizza Appreciation!

Not gonna lie, but Wild Mike's frozen is actually pretty decent. 👍 That seasoning pouch really adds to it.

Any good DC pizza spots? Only there Monday-Tuesday, but will have a car so can drive a little too.

Probaly already asked in here.

But best frozen pizza?
I like tostinos. The card board flavor really sets it off.
Screamin- but I believe they changed their ingredients because it used to be so much better

This is on par or better than motor city imo but both are the best deeper dish frozen that I know of

1690120485318.jpeg

Anyone have Pizza Oven recommendations? Gas/wood only or dual better?

I know of Ooni and Roccbox but wanted to see if any other (cheaper) brands are worth it.

Anyone have Pizza Oven recommendations? Gas/wood only or dual better?

I know of Ooni and Roccbox but wanted to see if any other (cheaper) brands are worth it.

I would recommend gas over wood for pizza. Or at least make sure you have the option to use gas

Every person I’ve talked to with the wood only versions says the same… that keeping temps up is a PITA

I’d also recommend 16” ovens over the smaller ones. You’ll appreciate the extra room to work even if you aren’t making big pizzas

I have an ooni Koda 16 and have no complaints. Easy to use and it works well. They go on sale occasionally. I think I caught mine around Black Friday

Yeah kept thinking if I would regret only going with a 12" oven. Appreciate the info

back from chicago and went pretty hard trying to check out as many pizza spots on my list as possible. was able to hit:

robert's pizza and dough company. really solid brick oven style pizza. cooked perfectly
1689607538448.png

bonci: roman style pizza. apparently the only other location is in Rome and was in the Netflix Pizza Chef's table. had no idea but it's clear why. this stuff was freaking amazing. loved the different varieties they had as well. the margerita and the fried onions were two my fav but i got down on all of it
1689607588164.png

1689607603411.png

1689607614139.png

pequods: was super excited for this one and it didn't disappoint. i still give the nod to Lou's but this was really good. the caramelized cheese crust is amazing and gives it great flavor
1689607627959.png

pat's pizza and ristorante: just amazing. the true chicago style and it delivered. wish i could have this regularly. onions and peppers :pimp:
1689607642180.png

lou's: for deep dish, still my favorite and champ. the butter crust is too good and their sausage pizza is the only time i'll get sausage on a pizza :pimp:

1689607674939.png
Man, glad you liked the food. You took a serious tour. Didn't think you'd actually hit up this many spots. You weren't kidding. Got me craving Bonci now.

Lou's still my favorite too. That butter crust and tomato sauce🤌
giphy-1.gif

All the pizza looks phenomenal man especially the last 8 slices with the extra sauce spread over :emoji_ok_hand:. The garlic knots looks perfectly doughy & fat :pimp:
I gotta be honest, the garlic knots were like the popeyes biscuits of garlic knots 😂. Super dry & flavorless. That's the last time I order them. I go there for their "Racoon" pizza that's on the left....Sausage, Pepperoni, Goat Cheese, Caramelized Onion, Pickled Peppers, and Hot Honey. And on Wed they have some good Detroit slices.
IMG_20230628_180154~2.jpg

What's wrong with Pepe's? I usually only hear good things. I've never had it before.
Don't mind him he's anti-New Haven/Anti-Connecticut when it comes to 🍕 :lol: . Although I do agree with his opinion on Frank Pepe's that they're not that good.

Out of the holy trinity of New Haven(Frank Pepe/Modern/Sally's) Modern is handsdown the best of the 3. Frank Pepe is good but not GREAT & people ride them way too hard, imo.

I gotta be honest, the garlic knots were like the popeyes biscuits of garlic knots 😂. Super dry & flavorless. That's the last time I order them. I go there for their "Racoon" pizza that's on the left....Sausage, Pepperoni, Goat Cheese, Caramelized Onion, Pickled Peppers, and Hot Honey. And on Wed they have some good Detroit slices.
IMG_20230628_180154~2.jpg
Damn, really? Because they look so damn perfect but y'know what they say "looks can be deceiving". I used to almost always get an order of garlic knots everytime I get pizza from any pizzeria I went to.

But, if I've learned one thing from being a pizza connoisseur it's that not all pizzerias can make a good garlic knot. You'd think it would be 2nd nature to them given we're talking pizzerias here but nope very few spots make them properly.

So for quite some time now I only get knots from my OG local spot or 2 & that is it! I don't care how good or yummy they may look in a spot I've never been to, I stay away...been let down & disappointed too many times by fugazi looking knots.

Frank Pepe is good but not GREAT & people ride them way too hard, imo.

i feel like ever since they started to expand it's fallen off a bit. back in the day Pepe's was so god damn good. but i'm with you, the other spots have caught up/passed them

i feel like ever since they started to expand it's fallen off a bit. back in the day Pepe's was so god damn good. but i'm with you, the other spots have caught up/passed them
All this right here 💯! When food places expand more often than not they can't replicate the originals spots charm/taste. When I first had it in 2019 Pepe's was pretty good but went last July & we all collectively agreed the pizza was pretty mid-tier. I wanted to try Modern before heading home so went & got myself a pie. That first bite I knew who really is the New Haven goat. And yes, other spots have most def caught up/passed Pepe's. I think they're out in Baltimore now too IIRC.

All this right here 💯! When food places expand more often than not they can't replicate the originals spots charm/taste. When I first had it in 2019 Pepe's was pretty good but went last July & we all collectively agreed the pizza was pretty mid-tier. I wanted to try Modern before heading home so went & got myself a pie. That first bite I knew who really is the New Haven goat. And yes, other spots have most def caught up/passed Pepe's. I think they're out in Baltimore now too IIRC.
There’s one in Bethesda and another in Alexandria. Even a couple in Florida.

Modern always been New Haven’s best :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom