Official Pizza Appreciation!

Went to Cross Bronx Pizzeria in BX. Insane, jumbo slices. One slice is like eating 2 1/4 slices. I couldn’t finish both. I normally can destroy 3 or 4 slices in one sitting but this is like 4.5 slices total. Ate most of the regular slice and ate about half of the pepperoni slice. I recommend the regular slice over the pepperoni. The cheese just tastes better without the pepperoni imo. Very no frills, Old School New Yawk pizza. The place in general is very no frills but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s how pizzerias used to be before all the artisanal, transplant ****.

IMG_4007.jpeg

Last edited:
Went to Cross Bronx Pizzeria in BX. Insane, jumbo slices. One slice is like eating 2 1/4 slices. I couldn’t finish both. I normally can destroy 3 or 4 slices in one sitting but this is like 4.5 slices total. Ate most of the regular slice and ate about half of the pepperoni slice. I recommend the regular slice over the pepperoni. The cheese just tastes better without the pepperoni imo. Very no frills, Old School New Yawk pizza. The place in general is very no frills but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s how pizzerias used to be before all the artisanal, transplant ****.

IMG_4007.jpeg
That's considered 1/2 a slice in the food thread.

Was scrolling my Instagram feed and a spot came up about 25 minutes from me.

Johnny's Pizza of Bryn Mawr. This is about 5 minutes down from Villanova university on the Main Line in the Philly suburbs.

So I check their Google reviews. 61 reviews, and ALL 5.0! Holy crap! Never knew it was there and found out it was opened about 5-6 months ago give or take. Decided to go down and try it. Here's the pic of his thin cheese!!

PXL_20230727_180040008.jpg
PXL_20230727_180103008.jpg
PXL_20230727_190435225.jpg

Holy crap, it's amazing!! He asked if I was gonna eat it soon. I said I'll have a slice in my car. He asked if I would mind trying it there. Sure and it's BLEEPING AWESOME!! He uses the best ingredients, Locatelli cheese, dough is rolled out so it stretches better, basil on the side for flavor, sauce is great, and THIN and crispy!! Freaking sold. Had my pie well done a little, but it probably doesn't need to be.

His go to is actually a square one that just a tad bit thicker but barely. The round wasn't even a thing for him until some asked for one. Now it's a keeper. If your in the Philly burbs, give this place a try!! SO WORTH IT!!!

Was scrolling my Instagram feed and a spot came up about 25 minutes from me.

Johnny's Pizza of Bryn Mawr. This is about 5 minutes down from Villanova university on the Main Line in the Philly suburbs.

So I check their Google reviews. 61 reviews, and ALL 5.0! Holy crap! Never knew it was there and found out it was opened about 5-6 months ago give or take. Decided to go down and try it. Here's the pic of his thin cheese!!

PXL_20230727_180040008.jpg
PXL_20230727_180103008.jpg
PXL_20230727_190435225.jpg

Holy crap, it's amazing!! He asked if I was gonna eat it soon. I said I'll have a slice in my car. He asked if I would mind trying it there. Sure and it's BLEEPING AWESOME!! He uses the best ingredients, Locatelli cheese, dough is rolled out so it stretches better, basil on the side for flavor, sauce is great, and THIN and crispy!! Freaking sold. Had my pie well done a little, but it probably doesn't need to be.

His go to is actually a square one that just a tad bit thicker but barely. The round wasn't even a thing for him until some asked for one. Now it's a keeper. If your in the Philly burbs, give this place a try!! SO WORTH IT!!!
Looks great 👍🏼

Dimo's Pizza

I mentioned in this thread how I hate pineapple pizza, but I'd give it a try again since I haven't had it since I was a kid. This was the first slice since I nearly threw up all those years ago :lol: . Not even gonna front, it was kinna good. The speck and cherry peppers helped balance the flavors giving it a sweet, savory, and spicy combo. Not something I'd order regularly , but it was a whole lot better than I expected it to be.

SPECK DI LUNA
crème fraiche, speck, gochujang glazed grilled pineapple, cherry peppers, chopped rosemary, arugula, red pepper flakes, olive oil

DIMO FLORENTINE
Sliced baby heirloom tomatoes, and sautéed spinach on a marinara and mozzarella base, topped with crumbled feta cheese.
IMG_20230731_221332.jpg

IMG_20230731_222400~2.jpg

Last edited:

IMG_4007.jpeg

These slices are massive. Having left NY, I do miss NY pizza. It’s hard finding quality pizza. Also some places don’t outside if NY do not sell by the slice and only sell by the pie

IMG_4007.jpeg
That looks like my ideal cook on a crust

God damb I need NYC pizza

IMG_4007.jpeg

Man, I could **** that up right now. Absolutely dwarfing that can of Pepsi too. I should not be looking at the pizza thread while fasting.

Man, I could **** that up right now. Absolutely dwarfing that can of Pepsi too. I should not be looking at the pizza thread while fasting.

I think if I was on an empty stomach, I could’ve finished it but I made the mistake of hitting up a Chinese bakery right before this spot, for fried chicken in a pineapple bun 🤫
IMG_4002.jpeg

One thing I noticed is that people from that area of the Bronx love ordering slices with extra cheese or sausage, some have it cut in half and a lot of them drink Welch’s grape soda. The orders were so similar it was almost comical although to be fair, there’s not a lot of options. It’s either pizza with some limited topping options or beef patties. Real old school tho. I’ve had a slice this big before but it was when I was a kid and not surprisingly it was also in the Bronx.

Last edited:
I know of an Albanian pizza spot in Jamaica, Queens (on Hillside Ave) called Benny’s Pizza. Pretty good pizza.
It’s probably safe to say that most pizzaries in the hood in nyc are greek or Albanian owned. And they do a pretty good job. On 138th and Broadway was Olga’s pizza (Greek owned), and was one of the best slices I ever had. Same for Johnny’s pizza (pizza palace) on dyckman. These Greek and Albanian spots be fire sometimes.

It’s probably safe to say that most pizzaries in the hood in nyc are greek or Albanian owned. And they do a pretty good job. On 138th and Broadway was Olga’s pizza (Greek owned), and was one of the best slices I ever had. Same for Johnny’s pizza (pizza palace) on dyckman. These Greek and Albanian spots be fire sometimes.

Most of the pizzerias that I've frequented in Queens have been Italian owned. I know Barones was, Phil & Sons is, I believe Amore's is. Philomena's is. Gloria's was/is. I'm not sure about Lucia's.

I had Jewish Kosher pizza in Queens once. That spot was not it.

Most of the pizzerias that I've frequented in Queens have been Italian owned. I know Barones was, Phil & Sons is, I believe Amore's is. Philomena's is. Gloria's was/is. I'm not sure about Lucia's.

I had Jewish Kosher pizza in Queens once. That spot was not it.
I’ve had Jewish kosher pizza, not for me man. Not at all

Anyone try that Kosher joint Pizza Time in NY next to Di Fara? Is it legit, or was it the crowd?

Theres a couple Kosher joints here in chicago that I've been meaning to try, they don't look too promising tho.

Last edited:
I think I posted this pic in this thread before. This is a dope piece of art that’s been circulating for months highlighting different pizzerias in Queens. Some I’ve been to and there are some that apparently didn’t make the cut. But what I realized that there’s quite a few that I haven’t been to. So today I decided to start at the very beginning and go to Gaby’s Pizza on Hillside Ave.

IMG_4046.jpeg

Gaby’s is a place I’ve heard of but never been to. Lots of history, lots of celebrities have passed through.

Don’t let this guy sneak up behind you, pause
IMG_4044.jpeg

A Sicilian and a pepperoni slice. Classics, a hit in any man’s league. The Sicilian was okay. It does the job but I’ve had better. Now, the pepperoni slice is the winner. Very good indeed. Up there with some of my favorites like Amore and Lucia. As I was finishing, the place was starting to get packed. It’s weird when you go to a pizzeria for the first time especially an old one like Gaby’s. It feels like everyone knows each other but you’re the alien, the one they can’t account for. Only one way to remedy that- go back again and again.
IMG_4043.jpeg

I think I posted this pic in this thread before. This is a dope piece of art that’s been circulating for months highlighting different pizzerias in Queens. Some I’ve been to and there are some that apparently didn’t make the cut. But what I realized that there’s quite a few that I haven’t been to. So today I decided to start at the very beginning and go to Gaby’s Pizza on Hillside Ave.

IMG_4046.jpeg

Gaby’s is a place I’ve heard of but never been to. Lots of history, lots of celebrities have passed through.

IMG_4044.jpeg

A Sicilian and a pepperoni slice. Classics, a hit in any man’s league. The Sicilian was okay. It does the job but I’ve had better. Now, the pepperoni slice is the winner. Very good indeed. Up there with some of my favorites like Amore and Lucia. As I was finishing, the place was starting to get packed. It’s weird when you go to a pizzeria for the first time especially an old one like Gaby’s. It feels like everyone knows each other but you’re the alien, the one they can’t account for. Only one way to remedy that- go back again and again.
IMG_4043.jpeg

whenever i visit a new city for the first time, i check their site/IG account and look up the city to see what pizza spots to check out :lol:

IMG_4046.jpeg

IMG_4044.jpeg

IMG_4043.jpeg

Reminds me of the Chicago by The Slice pic

Back
Top Bottom