Official Pizza Appreciation!

Dinner
IMG_20221218_173353~2.jpg

Red Ribbon
IMG_20221218_174207~2.jpg

AS A NY NATIVE I ALWAYS STEERED CLEAR OF PIZZA OUTSIDE OF NYC, WAS DISSAPOINTED WITH THAT DEEP DISH CHICAGO CRAP

THAT BEING SAID IN THE LAST COUPLE YEARS I HAVE HAD SOME BOMB PIZZA IN OTHER PLACES.. DENVER AND MIAMI STANDING OUT FROM THE CROWD BELIEVE IT OR NOT

AS A NY NATIVE I ALWAYS STEERED CLEAR OF PIZZA OUTSIDE OF NYC, WAS DISSAPOINTED WITH THAT DEEP DISH CHICAGO CRAP

THAT BEING SAID IN THE LAST COUPLE YEARS I HAVE HAD SOME BOMB PIZZA IN OTHER PLACES.. DENVER AND MIAMI STANDING OUT FROM THE CROWD BELIEVE IT OR NOT
Where in Denver?

Watching clips on youtube and seems like Italians don't like NY pizza. They don't like a lot of Italian-American food either.

Watching clips on youtube and seems like Italians don't like NY pizza. They don't like a lot of Italian-American food either.
I always picture French and Italian folks looking at Americans and American food thinking "Dirty Americans"

That's because Italian American cuisine is developed for the masses.

It's like Chinese food.

472807CE-FD55-4A7D-9F78-2B033AB22F4A.jpeg

My favorite spot in San Diego so far. Sister’s Pizza

The Sicilian square is a Friday-Sunday sometimes special. Finally got it :pimp:

I'll have to try that spot out sometime. But Bronx Pizza in San Diego has always been a top 3 pizza joint here for heck at least a decade.

Last edited:
Some neighborhood Blaze for dinner.
20221204_185656.jpg
20221204_185731.jpg

Fresh Meadows location? I went there once. It was okay, a bit messy in there tho. I imagine those Franny Lew and St. Francis Prep kids wreck havoc in there. I go to Five Guys more tho. One of my favorite movie theaters is also in that area.

5FECCBD8-2827-4C94-9766-5F5B56DC059E.jpeg

This was a Sicilian pie (half regular, half sausage) from a couple of months ago from Phil & Sons in Flushing, Queens. I used to love their Sicilian slices back when the old man was still around. They’re not nearly as good as they used to be tho. They also used to have a location on Union Turnpike across the street from St. John’s University back in the day.

Also, the owner of Philomena’s in Sunnyside, Queens did not relocate to Italy. I don’t know what happened but he reopened the pizzeria and even opens at 1pm on the weekend. Great times. I was there last week.

Last edited:
Fresh Meadows location? I went there once. It was okay, a bit messy in there tho. I imagine those Franny Lew and St. Francis Prep kids wreck havoc in there. I go to Five Guys more tho. One of my favorite movie theaters is also in that area.

5FECCBD8-2827-4C94-9766-5F5B56DC059E.jpeg

This was a Sicilian pie (half regular, half sausage) from a couple of months ago from Phil & Sons in Flushing, Queens. I used to love their Sicilian slices back when the old man was still around. They’re not nearly as good as they used to be tho. They also used to have a location on Union Turnpike across the street from St. John’s University back in the day.

Also, the owner of Philomena’s in Sunnyside, Queens did not relocate to Italy. I don’t know what happened but he reopened the pizzeria and even opens at 1pm on the weekend. Great times. I was there last week.
Yes, this is the Fresh Meadows location. You're right the staff is always a hot mess in there & not on top of things. They hire a bunch of young bucks who look like they don't want to be there so go figure. Way too many teeny boppers 💯 lol. Love that AMC, going to be watching the new Avatar there soon.

When it comes to 🍕 in Flushing I stick with Lucia's or Amore. Lucia's is top notch *chef's kiss*. Across St. John's is now Vincenzo's which is pretty decent actually. I got to hit up Philomena's then I remember you mentioned him a few pages back. What do you usually get from there?

When it comes to 🍕 in Flushing I stick with Lucia's or Amore. Lucia's is top notch *chef's kiss*. Across St. John's is now Vincenzo's which is pretty decent actually. I got to hit up Philomena's then I remember you mentioned him a few pages back. What do you usually get from there?

Yeah, I rock with Amore and Lucia as well. I also used to go to Al Dente, Barones and Glorias back in the day (the family that owned Gloria’s opened a pizzeria on Queens Blvd near the Midway movie theater). Lucia is probably pound for pound best pizza in Flushing but it’s mostly takeout. I always like to dine in for pizza. So I always favored Barones for that reason.

At Philomena’s I usually stick to pepperoni Sicilians because I’m usually just passing through. Although they are known for their personal pizzas but that takes time to make.

Yeah, I rock with Amore and Lucia as well. I also used to go to Al Dente, Barones and Glorias back in the day (the family that owned Gloria’s opened a pizzeria on Queens Blvd near the Midway movie theater). Lucia is probably pound for pound best pizza in Flushing but it’s mostly takeout. I always like to dine in for pizza. So I always favored Barones for that reason.

At Philomena’s I usually stick to pepperoni Sicilians because I’m usually just passing through. Although they are known for their personal pizzas but that takes time to make.
Wait Al Dente...was that on 42-11 Main St Downtown Flushing? If so, that's wild because my dad used to work there back in the day. The Midway near Qnz Blvd & Continental Avenue? I've had some good pizza on Qnz Blvd but it was further down by the 24 hour fitness on Kew Gardens Rd.

Lucia is Flushings G.O.A.T. 🍕 they've been there since 1962. And yes, it is def almost all takeout...hardly 2 tables in there I think :lol: . I can't have pepperoni(religious dietary restrictions) how's their regular at Philomena's? Worth driving to from Fresh Meadows or na?

Wait Al Dente...was that on 42-11 Main St Downtown Flushing? If so, that's wild because my dad used to work there back in the day. The Midway near Qnz Blvd & Continental Avenue? I've had some good pizza on Qnz Blvd but it was further down by the 24 hour fitness on Kew Gardens Rd.

Lucia is Flushings G.O.A.T. 🍕 they've been there since 1962. And yes, it is def almost all takeout...hardly 2 tables in there I think :lol: . I can't have pepperoni(religious dietary restrictions) how's their regular at Philomena's? Worth driving to from Fresh Meadows or na?

Yeah that was Al Dente. I would go there sometimes after school during my high school years. There’s still a sign up top that they never took down.

Gloria’s is right next to Midway. They have pictures on the wall of the old Flushing location. Their pizza is pretty good. Definitely better than how I remembered the old Gloria’s. We mainly went there because they used to sell slices for $1.

Philomena’s regular is okay but the rock star is the Sicilian. You can definitely get it without the pepperoni or maybe try a pan pizza. The owner makes the pizza himself (with help). It’s not like the usual pizzeria with the owner not being there or having an army of workers making it. I myself need to go there one day and just sit and wait for a pan pizza. I don’t know if it’s worth a drive from Fresh Meadows but I think it’s worth a visit if you happen to be in the area.

Yeah that was Al Dente. I would go there sometimes after school during my high school years. There’s still a sign up top that they never took down.

Gloria’s is right next to Midway. They have pictures on the wall of the old Flushing location. Their pizza is pretty good. Definitely better than how I remembered the old Gloria’s. We mainly went there because they used to sell slices for $1.

Philomena’s regular is okay but the rock star is the Sicilian. You can definitely get it without the pepperoni or maybe try a pan pizza. The owner makes the pizza himself (with help). It’s not like the usual pizzeria with the owner not being there or having an army of workers making it. I myself need to go there one day and just sit and wait for a pan pizza. I don’t know if it’s worth a drive from Fresh Meadows but I think it’s worth a visit if you happen to be in the area.
Yeah I remember Al Dente man! It was pretty damn good from the little memories I have of it. My dad worked there for less then 6 months but I remember him bringing pies home at the end of the night. That area has changed so much. The corner Duane Reade has been long gone too. I haven't been around there in yearssss but when I pass by next(whenever that may be) I'll look for the sign that was left behind.

Yes, I remember Gloria's now after a quick Google search. Drove past it many times but never went in...looks trendy on the inside. There's a halal cart around the corner there in front of the Chase bank & Subway restaurant that serves slamming lamb over rice. In that area have you ever tried Austin St pizza & Nick's Pizza on Ascan Avenue?

Agreed, owners of businesses actually being around & hands-on has become rare & don't see too many owners actively at the business. I'll try the regular triangle at Philomena's & sicilian(more of a triangle slice guy) if I'm in the mood next time I'm passing through that area.

Yeah I remember Al Dente man! It was pretty damn good from the little memories I have of it. My dad worked there for less then 6 months but I remember him bringing pies home at the end of the night. That area has changed so much. The corner Duane Reade has been long gone too. I haven't been around there in yearssss but when I pass by next(whenever that may be) I'll look for the sign that was left behind.

Yes, I remember Gloria's now after a quick Google search. Drove past it many times but never went in...looks trendy on the inside. There's a halal cart around the corner there in front of the Chase bank & Subway restaurant that serves slamming lamb over rice. In that area have you ever tried Austin St pizza & Nick's Pizza on Ascan Avenue?

Agreed, owners of businesses actually being around & hands-on has become rare & don't see too many owners actively at the business. I'll try the regular triangle at Philomena's & sicilian(more of a triangle slice guy) if I'm in the mood next time I'm passing through that area.

Yeah that Duane Reade closed down a few years ago. But I go back to before that when it was a store called Rock Bottom. A Target or K-Mart type of store. And I think before Rock Botttom it was a Toys R Us.

Haven’t tried those other pizzerias but I’ve heard a lot about Nick’s. I need to take a trip there.

Back
Top Bottom